Nov

Albaladejo finds a job in Japan

Via ESPN NY, Jon Albaladejo has finalized a one-year deal worth $950,000 with the Yomiuri Giants, Hideki Matsui‘s old team. The Yankees released Albaladejo at his request two weeks ago so he could pursue a job on the other side of the Pacific. “He has the ability to start or come on in relief,” said Giants manager Tatsunori Hara. “His role will depend on the situation of the team.” I’m not so sure about the starting part, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.

The move represents close to a 400% pay raise for Albaladejo, who made about $250,000 in Triple-A last year. It’s about double what he would have earned if he’d have stuck on the 25-man major league roster all of next season, so it’s good to see him come out ahead on this one. Good luck, Albie.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Monteroisdinero says:

The Scranton version of:

“From Cy Young to Sayonara”

For some of the younger fans, that is a famous line used by Graig Nettles when Sparky Lyle went to Japan after the Yanks replaced him with Goose Gossage.

2. mike says:

wonder if this was a monetary move by him or a bid to not to be stuck in AAA and hopefully get noticed

3. Monteroisdinero says:

Tim Redding pitched a great game for Scranton in August (with Jesus catching) and a few days later went to Korea to pitch.

$how me the money! The Samsung Lions had enough for him.

4. Reggie C. says:

This is good news!

Once Yu Darvish takes a look at Albaladejo and tries to figure out how he stayed on ML rosters for so long, Darvish will want to come stateside immediately.

Darvish. Yankees. 2012.

5. Big Stein says:

I can’t believe Cash let this warrior get away.

6. AJ says:

I’m imagining the Mr. Baseball movie, but its probably not a good comparison because Albaladejo is neither old nor a star.

7. Bryan says:

Maybe someone can answer this for me;

When a player goes to Japan how immediately does he try to learn Japanese?
    In Albaladejo’s case, how does he communicate with his teammates? Do they know a fair share of English?

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Alfonso Soriano picked up Japanese pretty quickly. He said it was easier than learning English because the pronunciation is similar.

I have no idea if this is true. I can barely speak 1 language.

• Doug says:

Spanish is a lot similar to Japanese in terms of pronunciation. If a Spanish speaker were to read something in Japanese phonetically, the accent would be pretty accurate already.

• SodaPopinski says:

I’d learn to speak Japanese asap if I was moving there for work. In order to really enjoy your time living there, you’d want to be able to communicate with everyone.

Many Japanese people do speak English quite well, especially in urban areas.