Fan Confidence Poll: November 1st, 2010By
Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- Both the Yankees and Joe Girardi indicated that they wanted to work out a new contract quickly, and they did. The two sides agreed to a three-year, $9MM deal with some incentives based on ALCS and World Series finishes late in the week.
- Dave Eiland will not return as pitching coach in 2011. The Yanks don’t have an obvious candidate for the job right now, but Leo Mazzone’s interested. Reports of a rift between Girardi and Eiland were shot down.
- Brian Cashman indicated that he wants the team to keep getting younger while remaining competitive, and that a lefty reliever is on this offseason’s checklist.
- Press conferences on Monday and Friday brought much news, most notably that the team views Joba Chamberlain as a reliever long-term. Cashman will meet with ownership in Tampa this week to work out several issues, including the 2011 payroll. The Yanks have 16 players under contract for approximately $145M next year.
- The Yanks declined their options for Lance Berkman, Kerry Wood, and Nick Johnson. Berkman, Wood, and Javy Vazquez all qualify as Type-B free agents. Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, and Andy Pettitte all register as Type-A’s. Mo might ask for two years this winter.
- Injury Zone: CC Sabathia had surgery to repair a minor meniscus tear in his right knee and will need three weeks to rehab. Andy Pettitte battled back and hamstring issues during the ALDS.
- The Yanks signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Wilmer Romero to what is likely a seven-figure bonus.
- Goal posts have been erected as Yankee Stadium in advance of two NCAA football games this winter, and part of the field is being re-sodded as well. Parking prices may increase substantially next year.
- Long-time Yankee Stadium official scorer Bill Shannon passed away at 69.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.