Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- The big news of the week was the hiring of new pitching coach Larry Rothschild, who has helped Cubs’ pitchers increase their strikeout rate while reducing walks over the last eight years.
- The Yankees made their first offer to Derek Jeter, a three-year contract worth $45M. A hard line has emerged between the two sides. There’s still no indication of Andy Pettitte will come back.
- The Yanks are reportedly willing to offer Cliff Lee five years and $115-120M. Nolan Ryan admitted that it’s likely the Rangers won’t be able to compete financially when it comes to the lefty, but the Yanks will have to increase their future payroll to accommodate him.
- Injury Zone: Al Aceves might have been able to pitch in the World Series had the Yankees made it that far. Mark Teixeira’s rehab from his hamstring injury is going well.
- Jon Albaladejo was released so he could sign with a team in Japan and Juan Miranda was traded to the Diamondbacks for Single-A righty Scottie Allen.
- In stunning news, the Yanks have expressed interest in a bunch of free agents, including J.C. Romero, Bill Hall, and Pedro Feliciano. The Justin Upton is also on their radar. A Japanese club is working to sign Marcus Thames.
- Dellin Betances, Brandon Laird, and Ryan Pope were added to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft. The Yanks also acquired minor league outfielder Cody Johnson from the Braves for cash considerations and signed Dominican righty Rafael DePaula.
- CC Sabathia finished third in AL Cy Young voting while Joe Girardi received one third place vote in the AL Manager of the Year voting.
- Some ticket price were raised for 2011.
- The House of Representatives honored Bob Sheppard.
- We’re looking to add a weekend writer or two.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.