Nov

Harkey gets ‘serious consideration’ for pitching coach spot

Via Sweeny Murti, bullpen coach Mike Harkey is being given “serious consideration” for the team’s vacant pitching coach position. He’s served as the Yankees’ bullpen coach since 2008, and although he has no full-time experience as a pitching coach in the big leagues (remember he did fill in for a month while Dave Eiland was on personal leave in June), he’s done it at the Triple-A level. Harkey’s familiarity with the staff certainly works in his favor.

Categories : Asides

1. Steve H says:

If he doesn’t get the pitching coach job, he’s still likely to stick around right? If so, I wouldn’t hire him as pitching coach. I’d rather have Pitching Coach + Harkey as bullpen coach than just Harkey as pitching coach (and obviously a new bullpen coach).

2. BINNER says:

NO! Everyone was screaming for Eiland to come back during that month… he did NOTHING….bullpen coach, fine….not a pitching coach…

3. Frank says:

Uh….burnett fell apart during that month. Sure this is a good idea?

• CaptialT says:

+1,

Completely agree. He had his chance and coincidence (small sample) or not, the results were ugly. I remember the team was just waiting for Eiland because he was the hope that Carol could be fixed.

• Steve H says:

Josh Beckett fell apart and John Farrell got a managing position as a reward. A pitching coach can only do so much. Whatever happened with AJ this year is 100% on AJ.

• AJ Burnett is what he is. I doubt any pitching coach has likely ever accomplished anything to make him any better or any worse. He’s just a two-pitch pitcher incapable of doing anything to keep those pitches working consistently.

I wouldn’t ever judge the success or failure of my pitching coach on Burnett’s efficacy.

• Steve H says:

He is who we thought he was. And that’s why we took the damn field!!

• Tom Zig says:

If anyone could fix AJ Burnett, he’d be worth his weight in gold.

• ZZ says:

A new pitching coach may be more committed and determined to change AJ’s mechanics and make big changes with him. I wouldn’t put a lot of emphasis on AJ’s success or failures, but at the same time I would be critical of a pitching coach who lets AJ continue do the same path and doing the same exact things.

If I was the Yankees, I would be very open to a pitching coach who came into the interview room with an offseason plan to work with AJ to try to find some consistency in his mechanics and is determined to get AJ to use his two seam fastball and changeup more often.

• I wouldn’t put a lot of emphasis on AJ’s success or failures, but at the same time I would be critical of a pitching coach who lets AJ continue do the same path and doing the same exact things.

I doubt Eiland or Harkey or any of his predecessors “let AJ continue the same path… doing the exact same things”. They all most assuredly tried stuff; none of it worked.

• ZZ says:

I don’t know. What has changed with AJ in his career?

I am sure they have made minor adjustments between starts, but has a pitching coach ever really challenged him to make substantial changes?

In the past that may be understandable, because AJ was at least effective. Now, after the season he just had, if the pitching coach just came in and made no changes with AJ that is a different story.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Let’s make this easier and give a billion dollars to the pitching coach who helped AJ in 2007 or 2008.

Or maybe let him power pitch his way through this even if it increases his chance of injury…

• I actually think most pitching coaches would make, at most, minor changes to a guy like AJ’s mechanics. You’re not going to find many people who would just go in there and switch everything up for someone who has been pitching as long as AJ.

The time to do a complete overhaul was 10 years ago, or maybe when he was rehabbing from Tommy John.

4. CBean says:

No, thank you.

5. The Three Amigos says:

I like Gil Patterson a lot and hope he wins the gig.

6. nathan says:

I wouldnt evaluate his case based on AJ’s record that month, then we would have to include CC’s record that month too. But, maybe its not such a bad time to find someone from outside, maybe he helps out Joba to be more consistent.

7. Kiersten says:

I’m not so concerned with Burnett as I am with the pitching staff as a whole seemingly not performing up to expectations, especially the young guys. Maybe it’s because I’m Yankee-centric and all of these teams have these problems, it just seems we’re constantly stuck with only 3 somewhat reliable starters.

8. fred says:

There is no way you have a guy like Brunett that is owed $50M and you promote a guy that could not help figure him or Vasquez out last year nor help Joba gain consistancy.

There may not be a better human being and teacher than Gil Patterson and it would be sad if he does not get the job for someone with not even a 10th of the knowledge that he has.

Read all about the tough life that Gil Patterson had and how this guy survived and you would root for him in a heartbeat. He was even willing to get fired from the Yankees in 1984 for refusing to let Al Leiter pitch in a minor league game because he had a sore arm.

Al knows a lot about pitching and he said “there is no one in the game that is more qualified than Gil Patterson.”

Please don’t make the mistake of giving Harkey the job.

• I have no real opinion about Eiland or Harkey but I am not really sure any pitching coach could fix AJ (the problems he had all year are ones he’s had his entire career, the good version just showed up much less often) or Vazquez (he lost a ton of speed on his FB, that’s not something you can necessarily just magically make work).

Plus, if you’re only talking about Harkey I think that’s an even smaller impact. He was filling in for just about a month! And it was Javy’s best month all year, by far so that argument kinda falls apart.

I don’t think a pro Patterson argument needs to have a slam against Harkey in it, really.

9. dan says:

you have 80 plus million tied up with a guy whose head is up his a…….ss.you think u need to find someone to fix him???????????

10. dave says:

I think Harkey has done a great job, just ask the pitching staff. There isn’t anyone out there with more experience. He’s “Yankee Family “