Nov

Jeter, Cano Teixeira take home Gold Glove awards

Three Yankee fielders — but arguably not the most deserving one on the team — took home AL Rawlings Gold Glove Awards this afternoon. Derek Jeter took home his fifth award while Mark Teixeira captured his fourth overall and second straight Gold Glove. Robinson Cano, an MVP candidate in his own right, grabbed his first at second base. Brett Gardner, with his 12 assists and an AL-leading 22.3 UZR in left field, was not honored.

In addition to the three Yankee winners, Ichiro Suzuki took home his record-tying 10th straight Gold Glove while Joe Mauer nabbed his third straight award and Mark Buehrle and Evan Longoria both won for the second straight year. Rays left fielder Carl Crawford, now a free agent, won his first award and Seattle’s Franklin Gutierrez took home the honors as well.

“It is particularly gratifying to be recognized for defense, as it is something I take a lot of pride in and am constantly working to improve,” Jeter said in a statement this afternoon.

The Gold Glove, of course, usually lead to a lot of hand-wringing because the awards aren’t a true measure of defensive prowess. Unlike the Cy Young, MVP and Rookie of the Year awards chosen by the BBWAA, baseball’s players and coaches vote on the Gold Glove winners, and the award is as much a popularity contest based upon name recognition and offensive production as it is on defensive ability. As Tim Marchman wrote last year, we should give the Gold Gloves the same deference movie buffs give the Academy Awards.

If we were going to nitpick the awards, though, we can. Based on UZR — a flawed metric — the following fielders should have won: Gardner, Crawford and Suzuki in the OF; Daric Barton at first base (Mark Teixeira had a negative UZR in 2010); Mark Ellis or Orlando Hudson at second; and Kevin Kouzmanoff at third. Pitchers and catchers should be assessed on non-UZR metrics. Gutierrez is an excusable choice but Brett Gardner wuz robbed.

And because it’s much in the news these days, this award shouldn’t impact the Yanks’ contract negotiations with Derek Jeter. His winning simply highlights how the Gold Glove process is broken. Few, if any, Yankee fans would put forward a compelling argument that Jeter deserves the award, but baseball seems content to allow the process to move forward without any attempt at achieving an objective standard. It simply means we won’t put much stock in the award.

Anyway, congrats to the three Yankee winners. Deserved winners or not, this team’s defense has come a long way since the mid-2000s.

Photo Credit: AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

Categories : Defense

1. Congratulations to Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, and Mark Teixeira for hitting well enough to win baseball’s preeminent defensive award.

I can’t wait for Jesus Montero to win the 2013 Gold Glove at catcher.

2. Xstar7 says:

Teixeira and Cano deserve these awards.

• I don’t even know if I’d go that far.

Cano, Jeter, and Tex were all good defenders this year (although I’d listen to arguments on Jeter), but were any of them the BEST at their positions defensively? I’d say it’s a resounding “no”.

• ZZ says:

It is a resounding “no” that Teix and Cano were the best at their position?

Why exactly is that?

• Cano’s probably not a resounding no (I’d say he’s in a dead heat with Orlando Hudson and Mark Ellis among AL 2Bs).

Mark Teixeira is not remotely the best defensive first baseman in the American League. Go look at what Daric Barton or Lyle Overbay are doing and tell me Tex is better than they are.

Tex is good, even damn good, but in 2010 he wasn’t the best. Other players made more plays than he did. It’s not a knock on him, it’s just praise of others.

• ZZ says:

What are you basing this opinion on?

• AndrewYF says:

UZR.

• The consensus of all the defensive metrics available to us, as well as the results of the Fielding Bible Awards, and my own personal opinions from the plays I saw this year from all those players.

Tex had a great season. Daric Barton had a greater season. It happens.

• ZZ says:

Ok that is your opinion and evaluating defense is highly subjective.

Teix may not be the best, but I have no issue with him winning the award.

Cano, I see him as the best defensive 2B in the AL, no matter what any of the metrics say.

• No, it’s not just my opinion, as I just explained to you.

It’s my opinion, and the opinions of the majority of a group of fairly smart baseball writers who created their own award for fielding to make up for the inaccuracies of the Gold Gloves, and it’s the consensus opinion of a host of defensive metrics tabulated in different ways that may have some flaws individually but still present a compelling case when they all come to the same conclusion.

Evaluating defense is highly subjective, yes. When a host of people and statistical frameworks determined to evaluate defense in the most analytical, least subjective way come to a fairly universal consensus, that’s a powerful statement that shouldn’t be dismissed lightly.

• ZZ says:

You are making it sound like these metrics and these people are using different criteria to make these judgments.

The people are basically using the metrics so their opinion is redundant and these metrics are not that different.

You are basically saying a bunch of things that are determined using roughly the same criteria should not be dismissed lightly.

That is not compelling unless the approaches taken have more variety and alternate frameworks.

• bexarama says:

That’s a really bold statement. Tex is extremely good. Daric Barton is also very good. I do not think Overbay is a particularly great defensive 1B at all.

• MikeD says:

I have no faith in ANY of the advanced defensive metrics systems when it comes to rating firstbase. Same with catchers. Bill James voted for Tex as the best at first base in the league when the Fielding Bible was announced a cuple weeks back. And you know why? Because he’s Bill James, and this was his way of saying they’ve yet to figure out 1B, and I agree.

• mbonzo says:

I agree. People keep saying that UZR should be the basis for defensive stats because its the best we’ve come up with, unfortunately its not good enough for me. The only thing I think is usable is CS%.

• Isn’t caught stealing percentage way too influenced by the pitcher? If you have too many pitchers who are too slow to the plate, a catcher will have a deflated CS% even if he has the best arm in the league.

• mbonzo says:

I don’t think its accurate, but its usable. Unless your a personal catcher, you’re gonna most likely be catching about 20 different pitchers a year. The number of pitchers with slow and fast deliveries are even enough that I trust the stat.

• mbonzo says:

I don’t think it’s as accurate as I’d want it to be*

• That’s another flawed assumption though. Even if a catcher receives pitches from 20 different pitches, four of those guys are going to account for around 700 innings. The ability to hold runners has a high impact on stolen base success rates.

• mbonzo says:

four of those guys are more likely to account for a little less than 600 innings in my opinion. 4 guys may account for 700 IP for a team but there is also a backup catcher that’ll take about 1/5th of the starters. I’d say about 60% of an mlb catcher’s innings are from the 5 starting pitchers. For the Yankees this year had 61% of their total 1442 innings from their 5 starters. Its a large enough sample size for me to think that CS% has significance. If I had more time it would be interesting to look at CS% based on relievers and starters and see how it compares with their total.

3. Granderslam says:

Wow. Three Yankees. I’m very surprised about Jeter…not sure about this choice- would’ve like to have seen Gardner’s name instead, but not complaining obviously. Well-deserved for Cano and Tex. Congrats to them!

4. Kevin in Delectable Princeton says:

The gold gloves are a joke, but it was nice to see Franklin Gutierrez get one after getting snubbed last year. Maybe Gardner can get enough recognition to take one home next year.

• Xstar7 says:

Its nice to see Robbie getting one after getting snubbed last year.

• Xstar7 says:

You should drink some 5 hour energy so you dont have that 4:30 feeling

• pete says:

I thought it was a two thirty feeling?

Sorry that came off as rude, though, I didn’t mean for it to be. I’m just curious how much time people who feel cano got snubbed last year actually spent watching other 2Bs. Cano does make a lot of plays that a lot of other 2Bs don’t make, and he’s one of the fastest double-play turners in the league, but there are also a lot of balls he doesn’t turn into outs, and the double play thing probably only realizes an extra out a couple times a season.

• MikeD says:

I think there is a bit of a delay here, as they’re finally recognizing Franklin Gutierrez for the past two years. Of course, the year they awarded him was his weakest in the field, although he was still strong. So I suppose it is possible Gardner will win one in the next year or two if he can keep up the good glove work.

5. Hughesus Christo says:

How is this Crawford’s first? WTF?

6. Chris A says:

Well then, I think this award certainly just lost all of its credibility, if it even had any. Congratulations to Cano for just being awesome, congratulations to Teixeira for having a great reputation as a fielder, and congratulations to Jeter for being Jeter.

7. steve (different one) says:

Casey Close just let out a maniacal cackle. Hilarious that Jeter won.

8. Hughesus Christo says:

Derek Jeter just made 900 million more on his new deal.

9. larryf says:

Jeter got to all 14 grounders flawlessly. 3 of the throws Tex scooped up at first.

10. Esteban says:

Coaches vote on this award right? They’re even worse at awards voting than the BBRAA is.

11. Dick Whitman says:

You’re still my boy, Brett!

12. larryf says:

Posada and Cervelli refused to share theirs. Too bad.

13. Somewhere, Daric Barton, Orlando Hudson, and Alexei Ramirez each shed a single tear.

14. bexarama says:

I actually can’t complain too vociferously about any of these but Jeter. Yeah, Gardner should’ve won, but at least Torii Hunter didn’t win again?!?!

15. AJ says:

Well deserved. They can all rejoice with a laugh:

16. MattG says:

Teixeira has good (maybe even excellent) hands, and puts forth a lot of effort, but he has one-step-and-a-dive range. A lot of his great plays are routine for other fielders, and if it weren’t for the hands, ‘pastadivingtex’ would be a catch-phrase, too.

This is to say I do not consider Tex anymore than an average fielder, and find the award unmerited.

• pat says:

But teh scoopz and throwz!!!!!

• ZZ says:

That is a highly subjective opinion and one that I would say most people disagree with.

• MattG says:

One-step-and-a-dive is not subjective, as it is easily seen on video. On any ball hit with moderate speed, he takes one step, and he dives.

The part about the hands is most certainly subjective, however he comes up with an amazing percentage of balls from those dives, so there is some credit to give.

There is something to be said for getting after balls as Tex does–as if it got by him, it would kill his grandma–but he plays the game with his stomach in the dirt when some of his peers stay on their feet.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

How much range is a 1st baseman supposed to have?

• ZZ says:

It is subjective at the rate at which you believe he does that and his lack of range in general on other hit balls.

• MattG says:

Possible, as I phrase it, it is subjective, but I don’t mean it to be. I mean to say Teixeira takes one step and dives for balls, always. Watch the replays and count the steps.

What does this mean? That’s subjective. To me it means he’s not quick, and he doesn’t have to pay for his uniforms.

• OldYanksFan says:

I think being subjective is subjective at best.

• OldYanksFan says:

Wow…. I’m glad to hear someone else say this. I am not the most analytical fan, but I watched almost every Yankees game on TV, and around the ASB my standard saying was: “Amazing! Teix catches EVERYTHING he can fall on!”

I would therefore concur based on that and his super-scooping, that he has good hands, good hand-eye, and limited range (as he can’t fall on balls 3 steps to his right).

17. Matt DiBari says:

I root for Jeter to win the gold glove every year almost strictly because I know it annoys people

18. bexarama says:

Ahahaha everyone should check out the front page of Baseball Reference right now

19. Mark Buehrle had the award wrapped up by the first game of the season.

20. CountryClub says:

I posted this over at Lohud, but it fits this thread too:

Rob Neyer’s blog post is interesting. First he rips on Jeter, but then he goes on to write the following:

“I will happily admit that I don’t really get Teixeira. Maybe he’s one of those players you really do have to “see every day” to appreciate. The numbers that we’ve got for him are not impressive. I didn’t rank him among the 10 best first basemen in the majors, and neither did Peter Gammons. But Bill James had him No. 1, and so did Hal Richman.”

Isn’t that odd how different people’s views of the same player can be? 2 guys dont even vote for him and 2 others rank him 1st.

Then there was this:

“At least Gutierrez and Crawford did play really well again this year. But this year’s Gutierrez is Brett Gardner, who played so brilliantly in left field that he probably should have gotten the Gold Glove that went to Crawford if the voters really wanted to reward a left fielder. And in all honesty, doesn’t everybody think that Gardner would make an excellent center fielder as well? And does anyone think the same about Crawford at this point? Crawford doesn’t play center field because the Rays think B.J. Upton is better. Gardner doesn’t play center field because the Yankees don’t want to mess with Curtis Granderson.”

So people can’t just say he’s anti-yankee when he’s saying that Gardner was brilliant.

• Matt DiBari says:

That’s why I really don’t like defensive stats.

• CountryClub says:

Yeah, but isn’t James the Godfather of the numbers guys?

• MikeD says:

As I noted above, even among the advanced metrics crowd, there is a great belief that firstbase and catcher are two positions they have not quite figured out. That’s pretty amazing, since that’s one quarter of the eight defensive position players.

By voting for Tex at firstbase, James is basically acknowledging he doesn’t believe any of the numbers, so he went with the guy with the best reputation.

• AuntE says:

Best Left Fielder in baseball – Gardner- as named by the Fielding Bible Awards. AMEN.

• Mister Delaware says:

Crawford has played himself off of CF on merit, sort of like Ellsbury did. Gardner was moved to accomodate someone else. Big difference.

21. ZZ says:

Why do people care about these stupid awards so much? I mean some fans get more worked up over this nonsense than the players do.

I can’t wait for CC to get his Cy Young.

22. Max says:

Honestly, doesn’t this say something about the coaches and managers?

This is not rhetorical, I’d really like to know what people think. Do you think they seriously believe that Jeter is the most deserving ss in the AL?

• Jerome S says:

Hey, let’s keep ‘em on their toes…

• YankFanDave says:

Honestly, I think MLB players, coaches and managers know a little something about the game.

Every year the same rant about this award as if all the other awards aren’t flawed, biased or subjective.

The only pick I have found totally off in recent memory was Rafael Palmeiro’s win when he played about 1/3 of a season at 1B, that was way off.

To the BWAA members, so the fans pick most of the all star team and players/coaches pick this award, be satisfied with being the lords of nearly all the other awrds.

Congratulations to Jeter, Cano and Teixeira, job well done!

23. larryf says:

So is Jeter the oldest SS to win it? gotta be close to it..

24. Jerome S says:

While we’re complaining,
    Longo at third?
    /Jussaying’d

25. vinny-b says:

remember when Gold Gloves were given to the best defensive player at their postion ?

Derek Jeter + Gold Glove = joke

26. bexarama says:

Also can we all laugh at no PITCHING AND DEFENSE!!!! Red Sox winning… again?

27. Hughesus Christo says:

Defensive stats are complete garbage. We all know this, yet people still go to “Sort – UZR” when these awards come out. Stop.

And no, Jeter wasn’t the best SS.

28. mike says:

Great .They all deserve them. Let’s not have any crazy talk about Jeters fielding using some statistical mumbo jumbo calculations. Fielding ability never was and never will be able to be judged by a mathematical system. Fielding average tells little about a fielder’s ability. Recent hall of famer Joe Gordon did not always have a great fielding average because he got to so many extra balls that no one else could get to. Although Jeters average is always very good. Just watch Jeter every day and marvel at his ability. Diving for balls does not make a fielder better just flashier. Judgment on the field is the most important thing for a fielder.

29. Moshe Mandel says:

Those using metrics to say Tex didn’t deserve it: BP’s updated FRAA had him first in MLB. The metrics are muddy on a lot of these guys. I don’t think you can definitively question that selection when the numbers are mixed on him and most scouts and observers think he is excellent. Same on Cano. You can begin to question when guys like Jeter, on whom there is a stats and scouting consensus, wins the award again.

30. larryf says:

For the balls he got to, Jeter was the best. Is that fair?

31. http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetS.....d-as-usual

Neyer works fast, my favorite line was:

“Of course, Jeter isn’t the only beneficiary of the Yankee halo; Mark Teixeira wins his fourth Gold Glove (and second as a Yankee), Robinson Cano his first.”

Ahh first we don’t care about fielding now we have the infamous halo; keep up the great writing Neyer.

32. pete says:

Torii Hunter didn’t win it this year. So there’s that. I don’t really take issue with any of the OF gold gloves this year, actually. The yankee reps, though, were not very good choices.

I don’t think it’s possible to make an argument in favor of Jeter’s deservingness of the GG this year, but the crazy thing is that he has won the award off worse defensive years than this one, where he was decidedly below average, but not putrid.

Tex clearly won off of reputation; I personally think he has lost a couple steps in the field. He has exceptionally smooth hands and is one of the best throwers at the position, but you rarely see him make some of the plays that Youkilis makes pretty routinely on balls toward the middle of the right side.

Cano has cut back on some of his issues from earlier in his career, namely the tendency to make errors, but I still wouldn’t call him a world-beater out there. He turns the double play better than anybody I’ve ever seen, he has tremendous arm strength, and his hands have gotten to be as smooth as just about anybody’s, but he still lets a decent number of fieldable balls get by him, either under his glove when he is ranging, or simply because he doesn’t have as much lower body agility of a lot of other middle infielders (Ellis, Hudson, and – yes – Pedroia come to mind). All told I think he’s above average, but I don’t think of him as elite. Just my perspective, though.

• Jerome S says:

Pedroia right now has zero lower body range.
      Let’s keep it that way.

• ZZ says:

If it is just your perspective how is it “clear” Teix won off reputation?

• pete says:

sorry, should have mentioned that it was clear to me based from my perspective. I didn’t find his play remotely impressive this year. I’ve seen Youkilis play a ton, and I think he’s significantly better. I watched Mientkeiwicz play every day he was here and think he was significantly better. I will admit, though – I can’t say that I’ve seen enough of Barton to really make a case for him, and he appears to have been the only standout AL 1B this year, according to the defensive metrics. So it’s possible that Barton had a flukey year and Teix really was just a middling best. But I certainly don’t understand the fawning over his defense. I think he had a much better year offensively this year than defensively, and he had a down year on offense. To me he really just seems very average.

33. kr says:

Colin Wyers new work(kind of similar to Tango’s WOWY) has Tex as the #1 1b. His stuff also points out the alarming evidence of range bias in most PBP metrics.

34. larryf says:

Surprised that AJ and his consistently reproducible follow through to the perfect fielding position….

nah

35. pastadivingarod says:

What no Arod or Posada?

36. Xstar7 says:

Thumbs up If you think Greg Golson should get a gold glove for that amazing play he made in Tampa Bay.

37. matthaggs says:

Gold Glove Awards : Emmy Awards :: Jeter : Frasier’s brother.

• MattG says:

Jeter is the athletic version of David Hyde Pierce?

• matthaggs says:

Once you win either award you keep winning them, like when Raffy Palmeiro won for 28 games of defensive “excellence” in ’99. It’s a joke.

The Wire never won an Emmy Award. Similar joke.

Both are meritless popularity contests that could easily be reformed if anyone actually gave a shit.

38. mbonzo says:

So while everyones complaining about Jeter and Teix winning gold gloves I guess Mauer’s defense is untouchable. Sorry, he’s a very good hitter but a meh fielder. He’s only posted a 26% caught stealing rate over the last 2 years. There are way better catchers out there. His past balls are low, but all of the defensive metrics that the haters for Jeter and Teix are relying on completely forget about Mauer’s. He was average in everything. Wieters deserved the award this year.

• pete says:

I don’t trust any of the metrics on first basemen or catchers. I don’t watch mauer enough to get an accurate read on his defense.

Watching Teixiera and Jeter every day, however, points to something that seems fringy-average at best to me, though.

• bexarama says:

I agree, Mauer isn’t deserving of his elite defensive rep. He’s fine, it’s not embarrassing or hurting his team out there, but I don’t think he’s the best catcher, at all.

39. Mike HC says:

Congrats to Jete, Tex and Robbie. All played very admirable defense. Were they the best? I doubt it, but I can’t watch everyone play, so maybe. ha

• Xstar7 says:

Even though his offense was lagging Granderson played an admirable Centerfield and should’ve gotten more consideration for the gold glove award. But who am I kidding? The award is basically for the most popular player at each position (With the exception of Franklin Gutierrez who doesn’t get that much media.)

40. Yank the Frank says:

For diving into the stands in 2004 against Boston, Jeter deserves the award in 2010 regardless.

41. cano is the bro says:

how the hell did casey kelly not win a gold glove this year??

shocked

42. Poopy Pants says:

Shouldn’t Molina get one just for playing on TWO World Series teams in ONE year?

43. OldYanksFan says:

Anyone know how Cano and Teix rated on Dewan? I trust that system more then URZ.

• Chris says:

They’re on fangraphs. Tex was -1 run saved, which was basically tied with Pena and Cotchman, but behind Barton and Overbay. Cano was at 7, which was basically tied with Kinsler, Hill and Ellis, but behind Hudson.

Using Total Zone (from BBRef), Tex was at 7, behind Overbay (8), Barton(10) and Morneau(12). Cano was at 0, behind Kinsler, Hill, Ellis and Pedroia (plus others that were only part time at 2B).

• OldYanksFan says:

Thanks. Is It OT if I suugest a thread to discuss Defensive Metrics – Pros and Cons – Strengths and Weaknesses?

44. tommydee2000 says:

Jeter received Tino’s Gold Glove.

45. Mr. P says:

Last I checked, these aren’t the UZR or other assorted esoteric internet stat awards. Congrats to Jeter. The lack of respect being shown to a man who’s still able to play the most demanding position on the field adequately at age 36 is rather disgusting.

46. hal p says:

Count me as a Yankee fan who is furious that even the Yankee blogosphere will not admit that Jeter did not deserve this award. However flawed UZR is, which I don’t believe it is, I doubt there is a single advanced fielding metric that would put Jeter in the UPPER HALF (much less #1) of AL shortstops.

Brooks Conrad for Gold Glove today… I guess.

• Wayne says:

How can you say that UZR is not flawed? Cano was clearly, unquestionably the best 2B in the AL, as well as all of baseball, but if you voted on the basis of UZR Cano would have lost. That’s ridiculous!

And to say Tex had a negative UZR last year is just as absurd. Tex made more diving stops than any 1B I saw this year, and I watch at least 150-200 games a year and watch the MLB channel every night and every morning for game recaps. Moreover, Tex routinely makes difficult scoops look deceptively easy. He’s clearly the best 1B in the AL, yet he wouldn’t have won either, based on UZR.

UZR is a grossly flawed statistic. How justify UZR saying Cano wasn’t the best 2B in the AL?
      As far as Jeter is concerned, I think most all Yankee fans acknowledges that Jeter didn’t deserve the award this year.

But let’s not forget that this vote is from the perspective of Professional MLB Players and Coaches, who I think know just a bit more about the game than the writers who cover baseball or those of us who post comments on sites like this.

And I had to laugh when the writer more or less complained that “Unlike the Cy Young, MVP and Rookie of the Year awards chosen by the BBWAA, baseball’s players and coaches vote on the Gold Glove winners, and the award is as much a popularity contest based (on) name recognition and offensive production as it is on defensive ability.”

It’s comical for Mr. Kabak to act like the writers never judge players on how they get along with them. That’s BS. Andy got cheated out of a Cy Young many years ago by those supposedly honest writers, and Ted Williams got cheated out of at least a couple of MVPs by Boston writers who hated him personally . . . so spare me the BS that the writers are more impartial than the players and coaches. At least the players and coaches REALLY KNOW what it takes to excel at the MLB level . . . all of the rest of us are just guessing, including the writers.