Nov

Open Thread: A new deal for D-Ras

Remember Darrell Rasner? How could you forget. Claimed off waivers from the Nationals back in 2006, Rasner went on the make a total 30 starts and 11 relief appearances for the Yankees over a three year span. During the disaster of 2008, he threw 113.1 innings with a 5.40 ERA, striking out only 5.3 batters per nine. It was by far the most big league action of his career.

Rasner sought employment in Japan after that season, so the Yankees helped him out by selling his rights to Rakuten Golden Eagles for a cool million bucks. The move across the Pacific allowed Rasner to make more money than he would have been able to here (his two-year deal with Rakuten guaranteed him $1.2M and could have been worth up to $3.5M), so it was an obvious move for him. In the two years since, he’s pitched to a 5.09 ERA with a 170-81 K/BB ratio in 233.2 innings, and apparently that was good enough for him to keep his job. The great NPB Tracker reports that Rakuten and Rasner just agreed on a new contract, a one-year deal with an option for 2012. No idea what the money is like, but either way it’s good to see him still pitching and making some bucks. Dude’s got a wife and (at least) two kids to take care of.

Anyway, here’s the open thread for the night. The Rangers and Devils are playing each other, and both the Knicks and Nets are in action as well. Chat about that here, or anything else your heart desires.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Damn Flyers wrecked Callahan last night when he flew into the boards. I seek redemption in the form of the Rangers beating the Devils.

2. Nick! says:

Remember those first 3 or 4 BABIP-less starts he had where he got no run support and everyone thought he was an ace

good times

3. Matt :: Sec105 says:

The “(at least) two kids…” comment is a bit irresponsible, no?

4. Carlosologist says:

Ah, the life of a new Knicks fan. I’m glad to see that Gallo straightened himself out the other night. Hopefully he keeps it going tonight and for the rest of the season.

5. Accent Shallow says:

I’m bummed, I thought he would’ve pitched better than that in Japan. Of course, without a b-ref, for all I know, a 5.00 ERA is league average (bet it isn’t).

Anyway, good for him to be earning that money, rather than whatever they pay MiL veterans.

6. Starting to watch the hockey game a period late. My attempt at hockey fan-ness isn’t going well.

7. Matt DiBari says:

Good for him. Always seemed likable enough

8. Nuke Ladoosh says:

Got my issue of BA today. Full article on Yanks pitching depth (deep and thick! ) so deep the only mention of ManBan was calling out his name once. Danny Borrell got more ink than Manuelito. Exceptional depth.

9. candyforstalin says:

cons of offering takahashi a 2-year deal.

10. Carlosologist says:

Holy offensive charge Knicks.

11. candyforstalin says:

iwakuma to the mariners, apparently.

12. CHP says:

He can be friends with Ichiro!

/M.Kay’d

13. Pasqua says:

Curious if anybody listened to this and / or might care to comment:

Today, Michael Kay opened his radio show by talking about a “revealing” article about Isaiah Thomas that had been published their on ESPN New York website. In the article, Thomas essentially claims to be eager to come back to GM the Knicks, etc.

Magically, about 20-minutes later, Kay announces that Thomas “had been listening” to the show and has called in to discuss his comments. They then proceed to have a 45-minute conversation. Thomas, by the way, was in Mississippi.

Now, I know it’s not a big deal, but this reaked of shameless promotion by ESPN. To me, it was an effort to make their website sound like a newsbreaking, cutting edge site to visit…nevermind their radio station one that sports “icons” are listening to (even in Mississippi).

My guess: Thomas was booked to come on the show already, and this was a ploy devised to make the whole thing look like an “event.” I know this might be a weird thing to fixate on, but I hate it when the media tries to make itself the story at the expense of its audience.

/rant over

• mbonzo says:

Most likely, someone friends with Thomas was listening to it and someone let him know that Michael Kay was talking about him. It happens more often than you’d think. Also, I’m sure he’s more familiar with NY radio than anyone else from mississippi since he was a sports figure here.

• Pasqua says:

I hear you, but considering that Kay opened his show with the story, thereby plugging the article on his own company’s site, and it was immediately followed by a 45-minute “surprise” interview, I think it’s fair to call it suspicious.

• MikeD says:

I didn’t hear it, but it sure does sound like a setup to me.

Thomas was supposed to appear on his show a month back and then canceled at the last moment, supposedly because the Knicks didn’t want him to appear. Strange, since Thomas wasn’t with the Knicks, yet it showed that he didn’t want to do anything to piss off the Knicks. Kay sort of ripped Thomas for a bit, so maybe the two set this up. I also bet Thomas cleared it with the Knicks.

• Zack says:

ESPN and shamless promotion? Never

14. Carlosologist says:

Wizards had like 25 turnovers this game. Epic.

15. yankees1717 says:

i think i just figure out joe’s mystery starter. formerly of the a’s, no?

16. bexarama says:

Came home from being out, turn on MLBN, and they’re telling me that they’re predicting Adrian Gonzalez will get traded to the Red Sox before 2011 for Jacoby Ellsbury and Lars Anderson.

El. oh. el

17. Bob Stone says:

I can’t wait for NCAA Basketball. The period between the World Series (or whenever the Yanks season is over) and the start of NCAA Basketball is like a vaste sports wasteland to me.

I’m BIG East Fan and a huge UCONN fan. Go Huskies! (at least the women have been doing well).

18. Accent Shallow says:

I am stuck in CO tonight, due to work, and letting someone else book my flight.

Argh.

19. Tom Zig says:

Disclaimer: I like Jayson Werth and think he is an excellent player.

With that said…

If the Sawx are going to sign a FA OFer I kind of want them to sign Jayson Werth. He’s older than Crawford and has knee problems. His defense He supposedly is “mean to the media” and has cursed out a fan. If he doesn’t change he’ll be hated in Boston. This will be JD Drew part deux.

20. Kevin G. says:

What is this “mystery starter” thing everybody is talking about?

21. Dax J. says:

I checked out SI’s Top 50 free agents and Carl Crawford is #1 over Cliff Lee. What do you guys think? I think Cliff Lee should’ve been #1.

22. Rich says:

LAD needs a LF and a backup catcher/future starter after Barajas is gone, throw in Joba to make him a possible starter and you have 3 young starters on your team with upside. McCourts are looking for cheap, that about does it for value.

23. T.J. says:

So is it sad that I’m already getting excited about Tulo and Longoria’s “impending” free agency?

2014 for Tulo
    2016 for Longoria

They’ll be 31 and 30 respectively if I did my math correctly. Worth going after or am I crazy?

24. Toby says:

You crazy son, you goin to be waitin a long mofo time for that shat, best.

25. Dax J. says:

I think I remember Mike mentioning David Adams in the chat. Does he get to play with the team or is he trade bait?

26. DJH116 says:

I looked at the entire NL SP list and these are the only guys that fit Axisa’s mystery pitcher of being formerly of the AL and currently good. Keep in mind my definition of good might be a little different then his so it’s possible I left the mystery pitcher off this list.

Carpenter, Chris
    Halladay, Roy
    Hudson, Tim
    Jurrjens, Jair
    Lowe, Derek
    Richard, Clayton
    Santana, Johan
    Volquez, Edinson

27. larryf says:

I will be really bummed if Grittner gets traded. We have very little speed and he is cheap, a great defender and gets on base. He is not perfect but being a better base stealer, bunter and swinging a bit more are things he can easily learn.

Keep the Great Brettsky!