Nov

Open Thread: Boston adds an arm

(AP Photo/Duane Burleson)

Via MLBTR, the Red Sox swapped lefty reliever Dustin Richardson for former sixth overall pick Andrew Miller this evening, reuniting Miller with his UNC running mate Dan Bard. The big lefty has been a bit of wreck as a pro (5.95 BB/9 career), not coincidentally after the Tigers rushed him to the big leagues a few weeks after being drafted in 2006 (he debuted against the Yanks). I wrote a post at MLBTR a few weeks ago saying that I expected Florida to either trade or non-tender Miller this winter, and sure enough they did. He was intriguing as a non-tender guy on a cheap contract, but through arbitration he’s going to pull down something like $2M. Eh. It’s also the second year in a row that Boston acquire a former Marlins’ top prospect; last year they grabbed Jeremy Hermida. That worked out rather crappily.

Well, anyway, here’s your thread for the night. Both the Devils and Knicks are in action, but talk about whatever your heart desires.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

MLBN turned into crazytown tonight. They suggested a straight-up Beltran-for-Broxton trade, and a “package deal” centering around Papelbon-for-Polanco.

Oh, and they said that Lee would sign with the Rangers because obviously the Rangers’ ownership saying they could sign V-Mart meant that they are definitely going to sign V-Mart, and V-Mart was Lee’s catcher in Cleveland. And the Rangers are definitely going to be better than the Yankees in five years. Because the Yankees are so old!

• bexarama says:

also my obligatory, non-PC, NSFW-ish response to MLBN:

• Kit says:

I didn’t see that but my brother called me to rant something epic about MLBN. He didn’t even specify what it was he was angry at, but I’m guessing everything.

• ZZ says:

That’s really funny considering…

In 2008 when Lee won the Cy Young, Martinez only caught 4 of his 31 starts. To add insult to injury, in those 4 starts Lee had a 5.84 ERA.

In 2009, Martinez caught…wait for it….1 inning of Cliff Lee’s 231.2 that year.

2. Tom Zig says:

Oh Peter Gammons, you’re silly

3. Bryan L says:

Still only 25… wow. Even though he’s had… shitty numbers, I’d still say Miller has some upside left in him.

4. Rob says:

I’d much rather be reading about Miller to the Yanks than De La Rosa to the Yanks….

Miller’s got upside. And exactly the guy for Young to start working with tomorrow. Meanwhile the Yankees haven’t hired a pitching coach.

Money does many things but when management isn’t bright then you watch how it’s spent. Kei Igawa says hello.

5. bonestock94 says:

I almost want the Yankees to severely overpay for Lee just to shit on the Rangers’ hopes and dreams. 6/180, make it happen.

6. Zack says:

Maybe they can spin him at the deadline for a Smoak-like bat

7. Rey22 says:

Pack it in guys, we’re done for the next 15 years. I heard an unnamed source say Miller will be an elite reliever who will give them 7 no-hit relief innings every day after their five aces give them 2 no-hit innings every day. And that’s without counting Casey Kelly. Actually, we’re done forever.

8. My God, Tampa is likely losing it’s entire bullpen, their left fielder, and first baseman.

9. MattG says:

Who’s the surprise pitcher?

10. Reggie C. says:

So if we miss out on Lee , how about a hard run for Matt Cain?

How about a quality prospect-laden package of : Montero, Banuelos, Nova, and David Adams.

11. Porkchop says:

It’s a beleif ways tot go but the Miller is a great deal fo the Snox. Go Booston

12. First Time Poster says:

Opinions on Carpenter being the mystery pitcher?

• steve (different one) says:

that’s my guess

• Possibilities:
      Derek Lowe, Tim Hudson, Jair Jurrjens, Joe Blanton, Ryan Dempster*, Edinson Volquez, Chris Carpenter, Kyle Lohse, Jason Hammel, Clayton Richard, Barry Zito.

*While Dempster never pitched in the AL, he was drafted by an AL team, so I included him anyways.

Derek Lowe, Barry Zito, and Chris Carpenter are huge contracts, as well Dempster, so a salary dump would be ideal if it meant giving up fringe prospects and some money.

Tim Hudson and Kyle Lohse have $9 million remaining so they could be dumped if the Braves or Cards need room as well.

I doubt the Reds and Padres give away Volquez and Richards, respectively.

Hammel isn’t good.

Blanton is cheap so I don’t see the Phillies giving him away.

IT’S JAIR JURRJENS DING DING DING DING DING!

• FIPster Doofus says:

“Blanton is cheap so I don’t see the Phillies giving him away.”

Blanton’s remaining contract is two years, $21 million. I want no part of him on the Yankees.

• 3 years/$24M (2010-12)
          signed extension with Philadelphia 1/21/10 (avoided arbitration, $10.25M-$7.5M)
          $6M signing bonus
          10:$1M, 11:$8.5M, 12:$8.5M

Oh lol, Yahoo told me otherwise. I should use Cots more often. At least agree with me that it is Jurrjens!

• FIPster Doofus says:

You might be right. I’d take Jurjjens over some of the guys you listed, but he gives up a lot of fly balls and doesn’t strike out that many batters. I can’t say I’d feel too confident in him succeeding as a Yankee.

13. http://www.baseballamerica.com.....ects/2011/

casey kelly is currently the top prospect in both the red sox and yankees organization. he is just THAT GOOD.

14. bexarama says:

So… that Miguel Cabrera trade was really horrible from Florida’s perspective, huh? Even if they get rid of the D-Train, they got a bunch of highly-regarded prospects that turned out to pretty much all be nothing. Yeah, Maybin and Miller can still turn it around (and Miller’s not in the organization now), but………..

• Big ass win for Detroit in that deal.

• Mattchu12 says:

As usual, it’s like a dental-floss thin, high-wire act while wearing a blind-fold to trade or trade for prospects.

On one hand, you have guys with so much potential and such high ceilings, how could you trade them?

On the other, you have guys with so much potential to never reach those high ceilings, how could you count on them?

I feel bad for all the General Managers. It’s a freaking nightmare.

15. FIPster Doofus says:

Kuroda’s headed back to the Dodgers on a one-year, $8 million contract according to MLBTR. If true, that’s a hell of a deal for L.A., and it of course takes a quality starter from an already weak market after Lee. Kuroda might have been an option for the Yankees if Pettitte retired.

16. Matt Montero says:

The mystery shall be….
    Carl Pavano!!!!

JK it is…

Anibal Sanchez (or Fausto Carmona?)

17. FIPster Doofus says:

Andy Pettitte told Matt Musil of KHOU.com that at the moment, he’s leaning towards retirement. “Right now, I can tell you my heart’s right here in Deer Park,” Pettitte said. “If something happens and I play one more year that would be it. It would be one more year and that would be it.”

Shit.

• candyforstalin says:

yeah. not a good night.

• bexarama says:

/completely in denial about this

(I do think that the “Pettitte leaning toward retirement” thing is just… an assumption? He said his heart is in Deer Park because, well, he’s currently in Deer Park. It’s just a leap, right? RIGHT?!?!!? /cries forever)

• FIPster Doofus says:

The notion of Pettitte’s heart being in Deer Park doesn’t do good things in my heart.

/Kristen Lee’d

• Ed says:

Don’t worry about it. It’s the EXACT same thing he’s said every year since he started the one year contracts.

The season ends, he starts relaxing at home, enjoys being with the family, then thinks about how nice it would be to retire.

After he’s been home for a while, he gets bored, starts missing the game, hears his older kids talk about how awesome it is that their dad plays for the Yankees, looks at how the roster for next year is shaping up, and finally says “I want to add one more World Series ring to my collection.”

• Kit says:

Well that depressed me. I’m going to go buy a shitload of alcohol and make my bed comfortable ’cause if he does retire, I’ll be doing a lot of crying in it.

18. Dirty Pena says:

Can someone explain this “mystery pitcher” thing?

19. Sick Nwisher says:

Boston adds an arm

Does this mean that the Red Sox now have (gulp) 6 aces?

20. Anthony Murillo says:

The Phillies are “making [a] big push to keep Werth,” tweets Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman.

21. Zack says:

Knicks gave up 31 rebounds to Kevin Love? I know love is a great rebounder, but that’s disgraceful.

22. China Joe says:

I believe we might have to contact NASA to calculate how many aces the Red Sox have at this point.