Nov

Open Thread: Help Wanted (Reminder)

I’m re-posting this in case anyone missed it on Friday. We’re looking bring one or two weekend writers aboard, and all of the information on how to apply, what exactly we’re looking for, etc. can be found here. Read that post in its entirety before applying, please. A few people have asked and yes, you can write your posts whenever you want and schedule them to be published at the time slots we’re looking to fill.

Do not send in a second application if you’ve already applied. We already have 60 or so of these things clogging up our inboxes, and we don’t need duplicates. If you do send in a second email, we just won’t give you the position. Harsh, but fair. Because of Thanksgiving, don’t expect to hear back from us until next week at the earliest. With any luck we’ll have this whole process wrapped up by the end of next week.

We’ll accept applications until tomorrow night’s Open Thread is posted at 7 p.m. Eastern time. Thanks in advance, and good luck.

And with that, here’s tonight’s open thread. MNF has the Broncos at the Chargers, plus the Rangers and Devil are playing as well (not each other). You guys know the drill, so have at it.

1. Let’s see if the Rangers don’t lose. They seem to each time I watch them.

2. Brooklyn Ed says:

Pat Neshek and Jared Burton for bullpen help if they do get nontender?

3. So the Hakeem Nicks injury is legit serious and scary—and I’m a Jets fan.

4. So a friend and I were discussing the Yankees at lunch. We got onto the topic of Robbie. He said he would trade Cano for Ryan Braun. Discussion questions of the night:

1) Would you trade Cano for Braun?
    2) Who would you trade Cano to and for what?

I would trade Cano to KC for nothing short of Moustakas/Montgomery plus another high end guy.

5. Steve H says:

TSJC, you believing in Danny Woodhead yet?

• I believe in Tom Brady. Does that satisfy you?

I’m confident in saying that all of the Patriots “skill position” players would look far, far worse if they didn’t have a quarterback who constantly gave them the ball at the precise spot on the field to enable them to beat defenders.

Woodhead, Green-Ellis, Branch, Welker, Tate, Gronkowski, Hernandez, etc. etc… like David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, Antowain Smith, Corey Dillon, etc.

It’s all Brady. He’s a top-10-all-time QB. Legitimately makes others around him markedly better.

Enjoy it.

• Steve H says:

I had this discussion at work today about Brady. Matt Cassel had a very solid year for the Pats a few years ago, but the huge difference would be that while Cassel would complete the same pass as Brady, Brady would put it exactly where it needed to be, which led to extra yards. That’s one of the big differences between good and great QB’s. They could throw and complete the exact same passes over the course of a game, but the great QB gets an extra 50 yards for being so precise.

Back to Woodhead, he’s a hell of a lot better than I thought. He definitely needs to be used properly and have the right people around him, but he’s taken advantage of his situation.

6. Dax J. says:

If J.J. Hardy ends up being non-tendered, where does wind up?

7. UWS says:

So I’m bored, running low on reading material at the moment and not in the mood to read anything currently on my bookshelf/Kindle. Any good book recommendations?

• I’ve recommended this a couple of times on here:

Hunter S. Thompson’s Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas

• vin says:

How do you like your Kindle? I’m thinking about getting one. I don’t read as much as I’d like to anymore – hoping that would give me some incentive to get back into it.

• UWS says:

I heart my Kindle. I have the DX (the big one, latest generation). Mind you it’s not cheap, but it’s pretty much like reading on paper. I have terrible eyesight and my eyes get tired really easily but I haven’t had any issues with the Kindle at all, whereas when I tried reading on an iPad good times were not had. Easily one of the best purchasing decisions I’ve made.

Oh, and it’s fabulous for travel. The battery lasts forever if you turn off the WiFi.

• vin says:

I too have less than stellar vision. Partly because I stare at a computer all day. At the end of the day, I’ll get some “floaters” in my line of sight when staring at bright backgrounds (like computer monitors). Hopefully the Kindle can limit that.

I’m thinking about getting the basic model – wifi only. Should work for me, and I can put the extra money towards reading material. Although I do like the idea of getting many of the classics for free. That’s very enticing.

One of the few things holding me back is that I don’t like being locked in to paying retail for every book. I get a lot of my books used (some new) from half.com for quite cheap. Although the price of kindle books is cheaper than regular paperback retail prices.

Hopefully I’ve dropped enough hints and my wife picks me up one for Christmas.

Thanks for the input – I’ve really seen so few negative comments about it.

• UWS says:

Supposedly Kindle is also rolling out a lending feature, too, which excites me.

• Betty Lizard says:

I’ve found I don’t blink at the typical $9.99 Kindle price.

And, there are many, many great books for less than that, and TONS of wonderful books that are free. You can get all the information about great free book sites (besides Amazon, which also has a huge number of free books) on the Amazon Kindle forums as well as information on software to help you manage all these books

I’m finding I’m reading more and paying less. The ability to preview a chapter for free is a HUGE benefit and a great way to make a decision about a book I think I might be interested in. And, I’m a big underliner so I love being able to highlight sections and these are stored as a text file. No typing!

(I’m also trying to limit the amount of paper books I acquire and most of those are technical/studio books that I buy in that format because they are filled with the sort of full color illustrations that don’t translate well to the Kindle.)

• Betty Lizard says:

Whoops, forgot to add that I have about the worst eyesight you can have, and the ability to increase the text size on the Kindle is wonderful. It’s the easiest, most stress-free readIng experience I can imagine. Plus, if it’s enabled for the particular book, you can have your Kindle read to you!

I can read really really fast but I can read even faster on my Kindle.

• Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Alan Sillitoe.

• Esteban says:

Confederacy of Dunces
      Master & Margarita

• Had to read “A Pickpockets Tale,” it was pretty good and I usually hate reading.

8. So the Flames are named after Sherman’s burning of Atlanta? Why on earth would a southern team have wanted to honor that?

#didijusthearthatright

9. nsalem says:

Two questions.
    1) What would be the effect of switching Cano and Tex in the 3 and 5 spot?
    2) Does WAR take into account the number of pitches a batter sees? I am asking this in relation to the effectiveness of Gardner.

• vin says:

As far as I know,

Minimal.

• mbonzo says:

1) I like the idea of moving Cano to the number 3 hole. He’s a better contact hitter than Teix and you’re going to want a good contact hitter with some power and relatively high OBP there. Cano fits it perfectly but his GDP might be a bit of a problem. He had 4 more than Teix last year when batting in the 5 hole. I think they should give him a chance in 2011 because Teix strikesout a little too much to be batting there when we have Cano.

2)Don’t think so. http://triplesalley.wordpress......layer-war/

• 1) A few things to consider with this. It, presumably, gets Cano a few dozen more ABs over the course of the season, which isn’t a bad idea for a guy in his prime like Cano. Next, what is the effect on A-rod? Do pitchers start throwing A-rod junk, allowing him to get on base to pitch to Tex? Something to think about. My opinion, the benefits and risks even out so that there’s probably little gain, if any.

2) As said, nope.

• Esteban says:

According to this , the fifth spot might be more valuable than the 3rd spot, and the 3rd spot is not as important as many people would think.

10. T-Dubs says:

Kemba. Walker. Matty?

11. bonestock94 says:

If the Yankees offer Jeter arbitration and he declines, the Yankees do not get a draft pick if they sign him to a multi-year deal, right?

12. Beautiful play by Boyle and Fedotenko.

13. bonestock94 says:

You know, the Lee for Smoak trade doesn’t look so bad (long-term) when you consider that the Rangers will likely get a 1st round pick in a epic draft year.

• mbonzo says:

Idk they trade Smoak, an 11th overall pick, along with 3 other guys who could actually be really good. Lueke and Lawson did really well in the minors this year. Even if the draft is “epic”, who knows what will be available with the Ranger’s 31st pick.

• vin says:

Plus a sandwich round pick. The draft picks were always considered part of the deal from Texas’ standpoint.

Besides, sometimes you need to trade your best prospect to make your nearly irrelevant franchise a WS contender. The Rangers needed to make that deal much more than the Yanks. Not only did it make them significantly better, but it gave the franchise the best 3 months they’ve ever had.

That said, they’d be out of their minds to re-sign Lee at the prices being discussed. They need to lock down Hamilton, Cruz and Kinsler, and either sell high on CJ Wilson or consider locking him up. Wouldn’t hurt them to spend some money on a closer and move Neftali to the rotation – doubt it will happen though.

14. ultimate913 says:

Hypothetical situation: You’re Cashman. Yankees miss out on Lee. Yankees would then pursue one of Crawford or Werth. If the Braves asked for Gardner in return for Jair Jurrjens, would you do it?

Btw, I’ve been lurking on a Braves blog and they came up with the trade suggestion.

15. Steve H says:

Dontrelle Willis has agreed to a deal with the Reds. Is he an idiot? Does he not realize that when he’s up to 120 pitches in the 3rd inning Dusty Baker still won’t take him out?

16. Bryan L says:

Devils winning 5-0. Who spiked their Gatorade?

17. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/.....hburn.html

Wow, I know there’s a good chance this year will produce some ridiculous contracts or starters, given how thin the market is, but signing a guy who didn’t even pitch in 2010 to a guaranteed deal still sounds crazy to me.

18. T-Dubs says:

Just give Mo 2 damn years. Let him pitch as long as he wants and keep performing whatever human sacrifices are required to keep him sustained.

19. sleepykarl says:

Staal nearly killed that man. Poor guy had noodle legs trying to skate back to the bench.

20. mbonzo says:

Knowing the market is actually pretty closer heavy and shortstop empty in 2011, and could only resign one of Jeter or Mo, who would it be?

• Mike HC says:

Jeter. Replacing his production at short will be painful to watch. Replacing Mo’s production will be easier. And it is also easier to get lucky with relievers. Not so much with shortstops.

• mbonzo says:

Exactly, I agree so much. I think you have to play hardball with Jeter, but whenever a Jeter negotiation post comes up people say that he doesn’t deserve even the initial offer and to replace him with Nunez.

• Mike HC says:

Thankfully, we don’t have to make that choice between Jeter and Mo. The Yanks have plenty of money to sign both of them and get Lee.

• Mike HC says:

And yea, I don’t get the people that are looking to low ball Jeter and move on to Nunez. I’m just thankful they are not running the organization.

• seimiya says:

Didn’t we have this discussion already?

21. Reggie C. says:

1 year / $18 million.

Keep it year to year. Mo’s age-defying execution of his cut fastball can’t go on forever.

22. Esteban says:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is fucking ill

23. bexarama says:

RT @SensChirp caught a SNET interview with NL MVP Votto. When asked how he’ll celebrate, replied w/ “gonna get hella drunk.”

24. AJ says:

If you were a FA, and you could block a trade to 5 teams, which 5 would they be?