Nov

Open Thread: Maybin on the move

(AP Photo/Luis M. Alvarez)

Apparently it’s “let’s forget all about that Miguel Cabrera trade” weekend in Florida. After dealing Andrew Miller yesterday, the Marlins traded the other key piece in Miggy haul today, sending Cameron Maybin to the Padres for a pair of relievers. Righty Burke Badenhop (3.67 FIP in 67.2 IP this year) is the lone survivor of the Cabrera trade, the other five players are all elsewhere now. How about that.

My quick take: I like the move for both sides, more for San Diego though. They have bullpen pieces to spare, and Maybin’s still only 23 if you can believe it. Lots of talent, and it’s worth a shot to see if he can figure it out on your team. Florida needed bullpen help, and the two guys they got are promising. Ryan Webb has a great arm, but his stuff is so lively that he has trouble controlling it. Mujica got lost in the Padres bullpen given some of he other guys they had in there, but struck out 72 and walked six (!!!) in 69.2 innings this year. The deal makes sense for both sides, I’d just rather be getting Maybin.

Anyway, here’s the nightly open thread. Both the Nets and Isles are playing, and of course there’s a zillion college football games on. Talk about whatever, enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jimmy McNulty says:

Man…talk about right process wrong results.

• Dirty Pena says:

I hope “right process” doesn’t refer to how the Marlins handled Maybin. Unless the right process to you means showing no patience by giving a kid a month or two at a time maximum, with the prospect of being benched constantly hovering over him, despite that the entire mantra of your organization is to be young and cheap (which he is.)

2. pete says:

Is Rasmus a decent comp for Maybin?

3. Slappy White says:

Quick Fun Fact : Slappy White’s son played AAU baseball with Cameron Maybin when they were 12-14
    Not So Fun Fact: Slappy White is getting OLD

4. Hughesus Christo says:

His eyes are freaking me out in that photo

5. Zack says:

I still believe Maybin will be a star CF one day…at fenway
    /gammons’d

Had no clue Mujica had that ridiculous walk rate, Gregerson got all the love the summer.

6. bexarama says:

I really liked Maybin for whatever reason.

7. Ray says:

Better move for the fish. Pads are getting a guy who can run, but has only shown a propensity for striking out way too often for his offensive game to take off. Marlins get two power arms in return. Gotta love power arms over a1 dimensional player.

8. Chuck says:

Reasons why Pettitte will be back:
    1) God does not exist.
    2) My wife would want me to play and bring in that $15million check!
    3) He has already proven to us that he is a man.

9. Slappy White says:

I dont know if Cam Newton is guilty or not. In fact I didnt even care , but after listening to these announcers defend him like he’s being so mistreated im starting to hate the guy

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well Urban Meyer basically leaked information that can only hurt him, that is kind of bullshit. It’s not like he never paid any of his recruits. Meyer’s the most disingenuous prick in all of sports. I hate him.

• Slappy White says:

I gotta put Calipari right up there too. And while I agree that its bullshit to leak the info, it doesnt make it not true

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well…it doesn’t matter if it’s true or not IMO. The fact that he paid his players or let them cheat and he knows it. I just think his past behavior makes it that much more bullshit. I mean how else do people think he got 23, a completely unheard of amount by the way, ESPNU150 prospects? It’s not like he let all of them fuck his daughter.

It’d be like David Ortiz calling out someone for juicing.

• Slappy White says:

IT DOESNT MATTER IF ITS TRUE OR NOT ????

yeah , it does.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Not for me, I mean…every big college player gets paid. I knew a manager for a big-conference college basketball program. He frequently said that most of the athletes get extra “help” in classes and there were kids from fairly shitty backgrounds that were driving around in brand new Escalades. College sports are “dirty” and I don’t give two shits.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Besides it’s more Meyer, the dirtiest coach in college football, outing him that pisses me off. Like say David Ortiz called out a guy for juicing, it wouldn’t matter to me so much if it were true or not it’s the fact that he’s being accused by the biggest fucking fraud in the game that’d piss me off.

• Slappy White says:

Wasnt it some guy from Miss State that leaked the shit to begin with. I get it YOU HATE Urban Meyer, I dont like him either, n fact I hope the Gamecocks beat his ass tonight

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Meyer came out and denied it…Missippi State didn’t leak the cheating at Florida, that was Meyer (the lady doth protest too much), Mississippi probably leaked the stuff about his dad wanting him to get paid. At any rate it’s a non issue to me, it’s not out of line of what happens with many many many other big time college athletes. Nor do I care, the NCAA should be prosecuted on RICO charges.

• Dirty Pena says:

It’s not like he let all of them fuck his daughter.

My brother went to school with her, and based on things he’s seen/heard, I would not rule this out. Not to mention she is smoking hot.

10. “Ryan Webb has a great arm, but his stuff is so lively that he has trouble controlling it.”

Wait, Webb had a 2.9 BB/9 last year. Seriously though, his stuff is straight up dirty. He strikes out enough guys and keeps the ball on the ground to an extreme, too.

11. FIPster Doofus says:

Six walks in 69.2 innings? Rivera and Lee would be proud.

12. bonestock94 says:

Toolsy CF > 2 middle relievers

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s basically a slightly less shitty version of Austin Jackson, strikes out way too much. Him in PetCo should be fun.

• bonestock94 says:

He hit for average over the course of like ~1500 PA’s in the minors too. He’s really young, this is good for the Pads.

13. Jimmy McNulty says:

Did anyone else catch that MLBN segment last night on fake trades? They suggested Travis Snider+ (in this case plus means Kyle Drabek) for Zack Greinke. With Tampa losing their entire bullpen, Carl Crawford, Carlos Pena, and likely Garza and/or Shields I think Toronto can pull into the third AL East team that competes for a title.

• bexarama says:

I liked the Beltran/Broxton and Polanco/Papelbon trades better because they were just so dumb.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

The Red Sox want to get rid of Papelbon, there’s likely a Papelbon/Napoli trade that will happen if they lose V-Mart. Broxton/Beltran on the surface looks fucking retarded, but a closer with elite K-rates for a CF who is injury prone lately and makes a lot of money…it looks less dumb. The dumbest part of that deal is that LA likely won’t add payroll they’ll look to trade pieces like Kemp, Billingsley, and Martin. Billingsley for Rasmus would be an interesting deal.

• I doubt Coletti would do Beltran for Broxton. But then again, he did sign Andruw Jones for a skazillion dollars.

• YankeesJunkie says:

What about the offense?

14. Chuck says:

God does not exist.

15. Dirty Pena says:

Maybin has a .306/.393/.478 career minor league line, was a top 10 prospect in 2007, 2008, and 2009, and has only one full season’s worth of at bats in the majors. I think this is a great move for San Diego.

16. bexarama says:

my parents were hardcore about Halloween costumes

(I am no longer this cute)

17. Kiersten says:

I work for an absolutely retarded newspaper that for some reason thinks I can fill TWELVE pages with local and state news. Meanwhile sports, with all the big college football games today, has 6 pages.

/whitewhine’d

• Many people are such sports fans because they keep detailed stats on players. Maybe you could be a pioneer, and start keeping detailed stats on criminals. Pretty soon, a new generation of sabermatricians will be discussing a convict’s VORC (Value over replacement criminal) and arguing over who kills his victims more efficiently.

This could be huge, I’m tellin ya.

• Poopy Pants says:

Weren’t you in favor of Imus being fired? Now you’re throwing around ‘retarded’?

• Kiersten says:

I don’t understand what A has to do with B, but yes, I say it all the time. Sorry I’m not 100% PC.

I also have a retarded uncle and volunteered for the Special Olympics, so all the more reason why I shouldn’t say it, but it’s a habit and no one’s perfect.

18. Jimmy McNulty says:

I was thinking about the As offseason and selling high on the pitchers they have. I was considering Trevor Cahill specifically, would you guys trade him for Starlin Castro? I sure as hell would. Good young shortstops are harder to find that 2/3 starter types. I’m curious if that trade happened, straight up, who would be considered the winner.

• Dirty Pena says:

Would have to be the A’s. On top of the difficulty of finding a SS as you pointed out, Castro is 2 years younger and has an extra year of team control.

• Dirty Pena says:

Plus Cahill had a .238 BABIP against, his numbers from last year are definitely not sustainable.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I think we all know that…he’s not a bad pitcher, but he’s definitely not a sub three ERA guy. Perhaps 200 or so IP with around a fourish ERA. Still pretty valuable, but not elite.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, I agree…I think in terms of WAR they’d be about the same in value, yet a talent like Castro’s would be much more rare. Perhaps that’s a limitation of WAR.

• whozat says:

Well, it doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t contribute to wins, right?

It might be more accurate to say that, while they’d provide comparable WAR in 2011, Castro’s lesser service time makes him more valuable — and his greater upside is just gravy.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Castro > Cahill for sure.

19. Jimmy McNulty says:

For those of you who like metal (i.e. those of us who aren’t pussies) next year has a big releases. New Testament, Megadeth, and Lars and Kirk confirmed a new Metallica album. New albums mean new tours, which means my pants have gotten tight.

• Sean C says:

Dimmu Borgir just put out a pretty ridiculously awesome new album last month. And I liked Testament’s last album that had Nick Barker on drums(is he coming back?). That guy is the CC of metal drumming (well, maybe Gene Hoglan fits that bill too) in terms of skills and sheer mass…

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Paul Bostaph is their drummer now, he was Slayer’s drummer after Lombardo left.

• Sean C says:

Gotcha, haven’t listened to much Testament, nor have I ever been crazy about thrash metal. Just not my cup of tea. But it does have it’s moments, and I always like to hear it sneak into other forms of metal when it’s called for.

• bonestock94 says:

Oh cool, thrash metal fan. I haven’t been to any shows in a while though. Megadeth is one of my favorite bands but they’re pretty robotic on stage, nothing to write home about.

20. Quick survey:

How would you feel about the Yankees bidding for the rights to Tsuyoshi Nishioka? I would like to see him as a utility guy.

21. AJ says:

How many wins would the Yankees get if they made no big move this off season? Or just landing their own guys (Pettitte, Jeter, Mo)?

Rotation: Sabathia, Hughes, Pettitte, Burnett, Nova

Lineup: Gardner, Jeter, Tex, A-Rod, Cano, Swisher, Granderson, Posada, Cervelli.

I think the team could still be very good without Lee, and possibly take home the division if the Starting pitching holds up.

• Xstar7 says:

your lineup is missing Jesus Montero. And the Yankees would probaly win around 90 games.

• T-Dubs says:

Throw The Jesus into that lineup and then ask me again.
      Nevermind, I still say 92 games.

• Alan says:

I have a hard time seeing that team make the playoffs next year. You’ve got two question marks in your rotation and you’re relying far too heavily on a 38-39 year old Andy Pettitte. The offense will be fine, but Cervelli is not the answer at catcher and if we’re relying on him as our starter, we’re in trouble.

The Rays are still going to be good, built around pitching; and the Red Sox are presumably going to rebound from last year. I also can’t sleep on the Blue Jays because they’ve got a bunch of talent coming up through their system and could be fighting for a playoff spot.

• Xstar7 says:

Do you really think the Rays will still be as good without Pena, Soriano, and Crawford? That’s assuming they all leave of course. Which they probably will with Tampa Bay’s pay cut.

• bonestock94 says:

Jennings may not hit yet but I imagine he’ll be great in the outfield over the course of a season. 1B’s with some pop aren’t that rare, with their farm depth they could probably trade for a Gaby Sanchez or something easily. They can probably put together a serviceable pen with internal options and some affordable FA’s. Lot’s of question marks but I expect them to be very good with that rotation.

• Avi says:

“Do you really think the Rays will still be as good without Pena, Soriano, and Crawford?”

Also losing benoit and balfour to free agency is gonna hurt. Those two were as valuable as anyone on that team not named Price and Longoria. Everyone seems to LOVE Jeremy Hellickson, so he might be a nice addition. Desmond Jennings is a nice prospect but I don’t see him coming close to Crawford’s production next year. Jake McGee also has the potential to replace one of the setup men. But it’s just that, potential. Bottom line:
          Soriano, Pena, Crawford, Benoit, Balfour > Hellickson, Jennings, McGee

• The offense will be fine, but Cervelli is not the answer at catcher and if we’re relying on him as our starter, we’re in trouble.

Cervelli was our starting Catcher for half of 2010, and the Yanks won 95 games.

• bonestock94 says:

You know you’re a spoiled Yankee fan when you expect the #9 batter to be good. If Montero breaks out we could have a good to great batter in every slot though.

• Stratman9652 says:

I posted this in the Buck thread but Frankie was at one point considered a plus defensive catcher. You don’t just lose those tools overnight. Sure he kinda shit the bed behind the plate this year but I don’t think he’s beyond repair.

That being said, is he the answer? No. Offensivly he may never be anything to right home about, but if he works out his issues behind the plate and lives up to that plus defense that was expected of him I have no issues seeing him as a number two catcher.

• I agree completely. I think much of his issues with throwing out runners has to do with the fact that about half of his starts were catching AJ Burnett, who makes no effort to hold runners. He had some other head scratchers, but nothing that worry me in a fundamental way.

• OldYanksFan says:

100% agree. Yeah, Brains had a terrible year on D, but he has a MiLB CS% of 41% and a fine rep for Defense. He WILL be better in 2011.

• Reggie C. says:

Though the rumours of a Garza trade remain an interesting offseason story, until such rumours actually pick up steam and become talks, any Rays rotation next season has to be written down as Price-Garza-Niemann-Shields-Davis. Considering that still leaves out Hellickson, who killed it once he called up, i think the Rays pitching is going to remain best in the division.

Expecting Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Youkilis to miss another bazillion games next season is plain unreasonable. They’ve yet to lose Beltre or Vmart , and chances are Theo pays up and keeps Beltre.

22. Avi says:

Can someone explain to me why the Yankees should treat Derek Jeter any different than they treated Bernie Williams when his contract was up? Instead of a minor league deal and an invite to spring training you hear about $20M a year for three years and a $75M “personal services” contract.

23. FachoinaNYY says:

Ive been away since the alcs… Can someone clue me into all this mystery pitcher talk?

24. Kiersten says:

I hate the Seminoles. And the Tar Heels. But mostly the Seminoles.

Oh well, at least the Gators lost.

25. Avi says:

We sign Jeter and trade him, Gardner, Nova, Laird and any minor league pitcher for tulowitzki. We also subsidize jeter’s contract, so the Rockies don’t add any cost/payroll by making the deal.

• candyforstalin says:

ah, that johnnie walker wisdom.

• Avi says:

Ha! Just Bloggin..
        I put some effort into it though. Gardner is a good addition for them. they’re geting our best pitching prospect. They’re weak on the IF corners so Laird fits. I’m sending money their way and I’m throwing in Nova for good measure. I might even consider including Warren but let them ask for it first.

• bexarama says:

Your Trade Proposal Sucks.

• Avi says:

Maybe. But if it does, it illustrates that Jeter isn’t a $20M a year player.

• bexarama says:

Nope. Jeter could have produced this year like he did in 2009 and it would still suck. Why would the Rockies trade their best player, and one of their franchise players, especially when they’re actually contenders?

• JGS says:

Why would the Rockies trade their best player, and one of their franchise players, especially when they’re actually contenders.

Fixed. Helton is a shell of his former self, and while Ubaldo is really good, from here forward, Tulo is the Rockies. He is going nowhere.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, not disagreeing. We can both agree Tulo’s going nowhere, for pretty much any package. You could throw Montero and Joba in there and I’m not sure the Rockies would take it.

• candyforstalin says:

plus, he can void his contract if he’s traded. he’s definitely going nowhere.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I don’t want to speak for her, but bexy probably had CarGo in mind when she made the above post about franchise players. If CarGo can get his road numbers up, he will definitely have the makings of a second franchise player for the Rockies.

• bexarama says:

Nah, I was thinking of Ubaldo actually. We’re all just splitting hairs here – the point is that Tulo is an extremely valuable player to the Rockies, both in terms of what he does on the field and as a face of the franchise. They wouldn’t trade him for anything unless they got, like, I don’t know, the entire minor league system, and why would we want to do that?

• pete says:

trade packages that could possibly net Tulo:

Felix + B prospect
      Verlander + two top prospects
      Rasmus + Pujols + Money
      Gallardo + Escobar + B prospect
      Pedroia + Youkilis + Buccholz

and MAYBE

Cano + Hughes + Joba + Jesus + Banuelos + Brackman + Heathcott

26. OldYanksFan says:

More bad press for Derek Jeter:
    Has everyone seen this?

27. godfather says:

who wouldn’t want cashman’s job? who the hell would know what to do with it? the derivative of the house you-know-who built is shaking at the foundation with andy talking retirement, jeter and mo staying silent and jorge murmuring like a guy who needs brain surgery more than knee surgery…as yogi said, when you get to the fork in the road, take it…if the league doesn’t minimize nyy in ’11, it says more about the weaknesses of the yanks’ rivals than it does about their pinstripe strengths…money’s terrific when there’s something worth spending it on