Nov

Open Thread: One Year Ago Today

(AP Photo)

That was a good day, wasn’t it? If you want to re-live the magic, here’s our World Champions thread. If you want to go back even further, here’s the Game Thread. We needed seven freakin’ spillovers that night. To be quite honest I don’t remember much of the game itself. I certainly remember Hideki Matsui‘s two-run homer to open the scoring, Damaso Marte striking out Chase Utley and Ryan Howard on six total pitches, and of course the final out. I remember some other stuff (Matsui’s double to right-center, Howard’s homer), but that’s what jumps to mind immediately. What about you?

Once you’re done reminiscing, use this as your open thread. The Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks are all playing, so at list there’s some decent local sports action on the tube. Talk about whatever, just be cool.

Says Joe: You all have an assignment for the open thread. You are to watch this video:

And then tell us which commenter Carl most resembles.

Categories : Open Thread

1. re the video: Male first name only handle rule?

2. bexarama says:

Yeah… that was pretty awesome. :’)

(Also, I found the Bleacher Report article to end all Bleacher Report articles today wheeee~)

• Jon in CUO says:

There was no way HazMat wasn’t homering off of Pedro in that at-bat. Matsui spit on everything out of the zone and it seemed like the only strikes Pedro got were on hard hit foul balls.

3. vin says:

That really was a simpler time, wasn’t it?

I’m honored that my eloquent comment is first on that World Champtions thread.

• Hey, look, there’s evidence of me advocating for Damon and Matsui to be resigned!

It’s true, it was a simpler time. I was simple enough to hope that Johnny Damon wouldn’t be batshit insane and think he deserved a 3yr/39M deal, and simple enough to think that there was no way we’d get Curtis Granderson without giving up a solid young frontline starter*. Ah, the halcyon days of yore…

*(P.S. Thanks, Arizona, for helping out with the Max Scherzer throw in! Sincerely, the Yankees.)

• bexarama says:

Thanks to last night’s Open Thread, I ended up browsing through articles from the 2008-2009 offseason. It was fun. I highly recommend this thread for the batshittery:

Also, this quote by, well, you:
        As much as I dislike the notion of us paying A.J. Burnett, who is capable of leading the league in strikeouts while still posting a WHIP north of 1.5 and going 12-11 with a 4.30 ERA like nobody’s business, I agree with all of this.
        Le sigh. :(

• Further down that thread, there’s one of my favorite lines ever from Sal/Bo/Grant/Lanny in regards to the hypothetical “Wouldn’t the Sox have been better off not trading Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett?” question:

Bo says:
          November 17, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Must be an idiot for thinking that the games best Oct pitcher is somehw worth more than a SS who toils in obscurity for a 80 win team yet has all the stats in the world.

Shucks. Forgive me for thinking that dominant starting pitching is the number one thing a team needs to win titles. Not stat accumulating middle infielders like Ramirez and Soriano.

That’s right, people. Hanley Ramirez can’t possibly be as valuable as Josh Beckett because he “accumulates stats… toiling in obscurity” for the Marlins. Ah, the SBGL experience. Never Always a dull moment.

• Kevin G. says:

You’re welcome. ;)

4. bexarama says:

also, Carl = mryankee?

5. Mike HC says:

That video was absolutely hysterical. Legitimately cracking up. I think the music really put it over the top. hahah

6. YankeesJunkie says:

Also, David Ortiz is OK with not getting a multi year, but just his 12.5 million option picked up. Everything is OK

7. Someone asked this question in the KLaw chat today, seriously:

The Yankees need a young centerfielder. Would the Angels trade Mike Trout for Austin Romine and Pat Venditte?

****

….

8. vin says:

Anyone else surprised Theo is willing to pay Ortiz 12.5 mil next year? He’s still productive… but that’s a hell of a lot of coin for a DH. He can’t hit lefties, and can’t play the field. What would he get on the open market? 1/7?

• He’s insurance against Beltre leaving and Crawford/Werth both taking deals elsewhere (which will probably happen).

It makes a little sense. A little.

• Mike HC says:

In that situation, it seemed like it was Ortiz for 12.5 million, or no Ortiz at all. Ortiz would have definitely went to another team if Boston declined the option then offered him a market rate.

• I don’t know… As much as we like to knock Papi, he did have a really good season in 2010. He had the slow start and still finished at .270/.370/.529/.899 (137 OPS+), including .286/.385/.558/.943 w/31 HR after April. Worth $13.2M in 2010 according to fangraphs.

(source: history)

• Mike HC says:

I’m sure his agent would have been sure to bring this up if he was a free agent, but what team would have actually paid him 12.5 million to DH? I just don’t see it.

• Maybe, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t worth it to Boston to keep him in the fold and move on to other possibilities/transactions. Guy’s still a really good hitter, big part of that franchise, yadda yadda.

• YankeesJunkie says:

well he did put up 3 WAR this year even after an awful April. Do I expect him to put up those type of numbers next year? No, but if considering how well he played last year we should not be shocked the Boston is paying a premium especially for a Red Sox legacy player like Ortiz. Also, this means the Sox won’t give him a potentially worse multi year deal.

• bexarama says:

I think it actually totally makes sense. Ortiz got off to a sloooowww start this year, but ended up with really solid numbers. So you either pick up his option, or you don’t. If you don’t pick up the option, you either let him walk (when you’re not sure if V-Mart and Beltre will return), or you get into complicated negotiations with him where he either ends up leaving, or you sign him to a multi-year contract which is probably not wise.

If they were to go on the free market, well, you can never really tell with DHs. A lot of the guys on the market are old and/or pretty big injury risks. We got DH-like production out of Thames but who would’ve bet on that at the beginning of the year?

I definitely rarely go out of the way to defend the Boston FO but this was smart. IMO.

9. Bryan says:

Phil Brigma will be the next yanks pitching coach. Take it to the bank

10. bexarama says:

Aw, guys, MLBN thinks there’s hope for the Yankees in 2011. lol whatevs

• ultimate913 says:

Don’t take their word for it.

I mean, the Yankees are the only team with issues and the Red Sox have 5 aces.

• Sam P. says:

Don’t forget that Mitch Williams (MLB.com reporter!) also thought the Yanks were the odd team out in the AL East / Wildcard. He’s right — he’s a former player. I’m inclined to wait until he gives his 2011 suggestions before I think the Yanks have any shot at respectability.

11. YankeesJunkie says:

Should I have another drink?

12. first time lawng time says:

Anyone else feel a little sad seeing that picture? I’m just sad (sorta), because it makes me remember how nice it was when they won the WS and then this year they got eliminated.

I don’t remember that game at all. I remember the final out and Hideki Matsui…that’s it.

13. first time lawng time says:

Anyone watching the Knicks on TNT?

I am, and I get TNT on HD, but I don’t get MSG in HD, so I’m watching them in HD for the first time. It’s really nice.

14. candyforstalin says:

so i saw two twilight movies in the past week. and as barely watchable as they are, am i the only one to whom miss stewart’s acute vulnerability gets to?

15. first time lawng time says:

Watching the Knicks play teams like the Bulls makes me realize how bad they really are. I mean you see the Bulls and they’re so speedy, over the top dunks, lots of range, and play defense.

And then you see the Knicks, and they seem so bad and lifeless.

16. Mike HC says:

Anybody see that Rose dunk? Fucking incredible. That is why you gotta love the NBA.

17. U Thant says:

Makes me laugh everytime.

tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside says:
    November 4, 2009 at 7:07 pm
    He was flatulent. Ate one of those “burrito as big as your head” deals.

It took forever to microwave, I’m told.

18. YankeesJunkie says:

So…you know who the Yankees should sign, Willie Bloomquist, Gerald Laird, and Jorge DeRosa. Bloomquist is super sub that can play almost every position decently and give the older guys a break. Laird is a great defensive catcher and will be a huge upgrade over Posada and Cervelli which will give the Yankees like three additional wins, and Jorge DeLa Rosa is a lefty better AJ Burnett. These signs will push the Yankees over the top next year. :)

19. Mike HC says:

Damn. The lineup the bulls have in right now is horrific.

20. Esteban says:

Rank the PGs in the NBA

I’d go
    Paul
    Rose
    Rondo
    John Wall’s Dougie dance (not the player, the dance)
    Deron Williams
    Nash
    Westbrook

21. Esteban says:

Gallo’s recovering from his wrist injury? 5-6 FGs and 2-2 on 3s

22. Reggie C. says:

Who should I start at QB this week: Eli or Ben Roethlisberger?

I’m not fully confident in the GMen’s ability to keep their hot play going against SEA. I think the Giants will win the game, but I’m kinda expecting an ugly game. Will Eli’s inaccuracies return?

Ben has a favorable match-up against Cincy. Though i’m not exactly sure he’s a better play than Eli right now.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

I’d start Ben. I think G-men win, and easily, and I love me some Eli, but Ben is just a better player. When in doubt, go with the better player.

23. Mike R says:

That Adult Swim video is fucking hilarious..

24. Mike HC says:

What a surprise Landry is. His athleticism plays a lot better than he was given credit for.

25. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

So, using the equivalent of gameday with a basketball game is boring as fuck.

Well shitdammit.

But at least my new favorite basketball team the Knicks arewinning. GO BROSKIS!!!!

26. Brooklyn Ed says:

so rumors has it that the Reds and Twins might nontender Jared Burton and Pat Neshek respectively this offseason. I think both could absoultly dominate being a low risk/high reward arms, if they could dominated like the did in 2007/8. Refresh my memory, weren’t the Yanks linked to Neshek 3 years ago?

27. Hall and Nokes says:

Nothing against Steve Kerr, but the only thing that would make this Knicks game better is if John Andariese was sitting next to Marv. This is so 1992 it hurts.

28. You know what? I’m gonna need Landry Fields to get a new hairstyle and facial grooming regimen and some tattoos so he stops looking like a shrunken version of Channing Frye.

This is creeping me out.

29. JobaWockeeZ says:

If anyone knows how to fix a STOP 0x07E error soon that would be greatly appreciated.

30. Anyone have the (ahem) more detailed BA reviews of their Top 10 handy? Mike’s snippets were great, but they just whet my appetite.

We wouldn’t want to run afoul of any copyright laws or anything, so just the top 5 would be great.

31. Esteban says:

I gotta say, I have more hope for the knicks than I’ve had in a long time. This team is almost likeable.

• Mike HC says:

It is all about Amare. He makes us legitimate. Finally.

• And it looks like the Bucks have been oversold a bit. Pretty much every preview had them as locks to be better than the Knicks; I don’t think many people would state that with certainty after seeing early returns.

The Heat, Celtics, Magic, Bulls, and Hawks are demonstrably better than New York, but I’m upgrading the “They should get the #8 seed, but that’s it” forecast to “They could be in play for the #6 seed”.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Question for you: In the other 3 sports, even the lowest seeded teams generally have a shot at winning the title. Even in hockey, I believe (not sure) a team seeded eighth got into the Stanley Cup.

My question is, is it really the same in basketball? Nobody really acts that way, and every year it seems tto me like the good teams win w/o too much difficulty. Is this true? Or is it more like baseball where you should just be happy about making the playoffs because you now have a shot at the title?

• No, you’re right. It’s a bit harder for lower-seeded longshots to upset a team in the NBA, because there’s so many games played for talent to win out (and a bit less natural luck involved than in a sport like hockey or baseball, I’d surmise).

Being the 6th seed doesn’t mean all that much, i suppose, because this Knicks team isn’t winning a first round matchup with any top 3 team in any likelihood, but any oasis in a desert is a welcome sight.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

No, making the playoffs is cool. It means the Knicks aren’t total garbage, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

And anyway, even a slim, totally ridiculous, basically impossible chance is still a chance.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I mean the warriors an #8 beat the #1 Mavs a couple years ago so big upsets are possible, but the last few years have been dominated by the best one or two teams. In basketball it is hard because the good teams win 75% of their games against teams that win 50-55% so there is quite a disparity some times.

• Mike HC says:

In baseball, only 8 teams make the playoffs. 16 make the NBA playoffs. So all the MLB playoff teams are pretty strong. The NBA lets in far weaker teams.

Among other things

32. Sean C says:

I saw on the always-reliable espn.com that Pujols said he wishes to remain a Cardinal for his entire career. There go our chances at the best DH in the game.

(I’ve seen someone someone post the Pujols/Yankees DH batshittery around here before).

33. Esteban says:

Can I haz dfense?

34. ChrisR says:

I absolutely loved the 2009 Yankees (I guess since it was the first time I watched a full baseball season) That day made me feel so happy for a long time :) I might just buy the 2009 Yankees Film :D

35. Mark says:

Jon Morosi

#BlueJays acquire Miguel Olivo from #Rockies for PTBNL or cash

So on to John Buck?

• bexarama says:

I’d love John Buck but I think he will be too expensive, and looking for more playing time than the Yankees will give. Also, his career OBP is hideous. He’s clearly improved over the past two years but look at his stats before that, not pretty.

• If he’s cheap (not likely) I’d like him, though like you said his bat is nothing special. He can hit homers, and he actually mashes lefties (Can you believe he has a .409/.411/.705 line against LHP in 88 ABs last year? I mean wow) but his defense really is nothing special.

• CP says:

The Yankees don’t need a catcher, so no.

36. Esteban says:

Reason # 3,487 that Colin Cowherd is an idiot: He said John Wall will never win a championship because he did the dougie dance.

37. Mike HC says:

14 of 19 for three? Nobody was beating us tonight.

38. Esteban says:

The 3s are ridiculous

39. OLIVO I BARELY KNEW YOU :(

40. yankees1717 says:

fantasy football question

pick two out of these three
    fred jackson vs. chi
    santonio holmes @ det
    jonathan stewart vs. NO (assuming deangelo is out)

now, you might look at this and say my team stinks, but i’m just injured plagued and scrambling for replacements. i’m actually 5-3, i just have percy harvin and deangelo williams injured

• You really can’t find a better RB than Fred Jackson? I mean I know he’s the main back but… it’s Buffalo. Green-Ellis taken?

• yankees1717 says:

don’t think you understand the situation i’m in here. the best free agent running back available is WILLIS MCGAHEE. yeah. i’m in a bad situation. fortunately the rest of my team is great and i normally would have a great full lineup if not for injuries.

• Reggie C. says:

Working with what you got …

Holmes. He’s got another week of practice with Sanchez. I think he’ll get more balls thrown his way, though the Jets offense as a whole is likely going to emphasize the run. Holmes however is the best receiver in the lot. Braylon’s hands FAILED him last week.

Jackson. Call me a sucker but why do i get the feeling that Stewart is headed to another 15 yard day? Oh yeah…NO is going to jump all over the panthers. BUF is going to win one, and the Bears look shaky.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Two problems with Fred Jackson: 1. He’s facing a top-notch rushing defense. 2. He has never been a touchdown producer, which is obviously how you make hay in fantasy football.

• Reggie C. says:

I’ve regularly played CHI defense these past 4/5 weeks, and yeah, that defense is one of the better ones. But CHI as a whole hasnt been playing very well. Not sure how they’re going to respond coming off a bye against a hungry BUF team.

I hear you though. Fred Jackson isnt likely going to contribute more than 50 yds. However, the way NO defense played against Pittsburgh was damn impressive. IMO, Stewart’s matchup is tougher.

• FIPster Doofus says:

It’s definitely within the realm of possibility for Jackson to play well this week. He’s a good back and his carries have increased of late (two consecutive games of 20-plus carries).

41. JobaWockeeZ says:

I expect my paycheck Dave Cameron for copying my train of thought.

That’s one of the reasons I expect that their offer will be significantly more than the 5 years, $105 million that the crowd estimated Lee would sign for yesterday.

For the Yankees, this winter is basically Cliff Lee or bust. Expect to see an offer that reflects that mentality.

Yes for clarification before someone thinks I’m serious…I’m not.

42. Andrew says:

that was literally the funniest video ive ever watched in my entire life. Thank you RAB for making my day so much better

43. Toronto could go fuck off, seriously.