Nov

Open Thread: Taking back the comments

I can't believe they didn't make this place more football friendly! (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Okay, look. We have to do this every so often because the commenting sections of our posts get unwieldy as hell from time to time, especially when there are lots of trade rumors like there are right now. Please take a second to look over our basic Commenting Guidelines, which just ask you to be courteous more than anything. We have a perpetual Off-Topic Thread available for you to talk about anything at literally any time. The link is  right under the 1976 frieze in the banner, and in addition to that feel free to use the daily Radio Show posts as an open thread in the afternoon. Right now there are far too many off-topic comments and thread hi-jacking going on, and it’s scaring away new readers, which is bad for us. So please oblige. Thanks in advance.

And with that, here’s the night’s open thread. The Rangers, Isles, Knicks, and Nets are all in action, plus I’m sure there’s college basketball on somewhere. You guys know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Harold Reynolds’s argument for CC winning the Cy over Felix: He pitched to the score.

Can I get a “Horrendously Retarded”?

• I believe “I pitched to the score” was also Reynolds’s defense against the sexual harassment charges levied against him at ESPN.

• Counter argument: Felix Hernandez also pitched to the score, pitching greatly to keep the score run while he begged the Mariners to score more runs.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Yeah no kidding. If Felix “pitched to the score” he would have made Bob Gibson 1968 look bad.

• bexarama says:

Harold Reynolds is so stupid. He also said he thinks Jeter’s leaving. o_O

• All Star Carl says:

Halladay said something to the effect of, its about winning games when asked about CC and Felix the other day.

It seems people who actually played pro ball value winning more than anything.

• first time lawng time says:

I hate it when people make up that “pitch to the score” argument. Every game that a pitcher pitches, they should aim at a shutout or the lowest possible score they can manage to pitch in order to win the game. I don’t care if their offense scores them 8 runs, don’t give up 7 to
      pitch to the score” (if I’m interpretting that correctly)–try to give up as few runs as possible.

People that I know argue that Felix’s bad record makes him a bad pitcher. I say, whenever he gives up 3 runs, he doesn’t win because his offense won’t score for him (if that stat is correct, I think I heard it somewhere). Then they tell me that he did a poor job, because he didn’t keep his offense in the game.

Wins are not a good stat. I don’t get why people (or people that follow baseball regularly enough) understand that.

• mbonzo says:

To play devil’s advocate. Pitching to the score assumes that the team will surrender more hits to a team by having the pitcher bombard the strike zone, that means the game will move quicker and a pitcher can throw more innings in a game. CC in this case will throw less pitches out of the strike zone to try and get swing and misses, preferring quick ground-ball outs. The downside is that the pitcher’s ERA increases and strikeouts decrease.

Correlation does not imply causation, but CC’s strikeout rates have decreased and Reynolds did point out that most of the homeruns he gave up were solo shots. To call Harold Reynolds “horrendously retarded” for his theory is in itself “horrendously retarded.” Game plans will often change when you can end up getting more innings out of your starting in place of giving up a couple runs when you have a huge lead. BUT, when you look at how dominant Felix was and he still put up an incredible amount of IP, which means he wasn’t “pitching to the score” but just being flat-out awesome, you have to say he was more dominant.

• Counterargument: Even if CC truly did pitch to the score, I fail to see how that is something that should be used to benefit his candidacy. If anything, that’s a negative. If CC is pitching to the score and thus allowing more late runs to narrow the margin of victory in an effort to squeeze out more innings, any benefit of fewer innings pitched by inferior bullpen pitchers is offset by the fact that the innings they DO end up pitching will be higher leverage.

Felix didn’t pitch to the score, he just dominated regardless of how big or small of a lead he may have had. And he pitched deeper into games anyway.

• mbonzo says:

Right, thats what I meant in my last sentence there. Despite CC having to eat up innings that caused his ERA to increase, Felix was able to pitch more innings and a be more dominant. So I could understand if Felix had 30-40 less innings with the same stats and making an argument for CC, but Felix still wins.

2. Dirty Pena says:

and it’s scaring away new readers,

Some unnamed people were starting to scare away ALL readers.

3. Sweet Dick Willie says:

Simple solution. Someone posts off-topic, ban them for X amount of time.

Just let it be known in advance that that is your new policy.

4. My thoughts on this afternoon’s shenanigans: The power we as people have to pick and choose the facts that work with our narratives is incredibly dangerous in the wrong hands.

5. You know what? That football field looks just fine. The bullpens helped it fit just perfectly.

I can’t tell from the small pic: did they temporarily move Monument Park, or is the CF wall just right behind the goalpost?

6. first time lawng time says:

So during what year (or offseason) do you all think each member of the core four will retire?

• bexarama says:

Pettitte and Posada retire after 2011, Mo and Jeter after 2013.

• The summer of 2013 will be strange because I’ll be watching the Yankees without the iconic figures. But at least (I hope) then we’ll have Banuelos, Cano, A-Rod, Sladerunner, Brackman, and Montero holding the boat together.

• bexarama says:

I should add that I’m going to spend all of 2011 sobbing if this is the case. :(

• MikeD says:

I’m not convinced Posada will retire after 2011. If he gets 130 games in 2011 as a mostly DH, and hits 22+ HRs, and puts up a .360+ OBP, I don’t see him walking away from the game. There will be more than enough teams who can use a switch-hitting DH who can also serve as a back-up catcher.

Posada has way too much to gain by playing a couple more seasons beyond 2011. Unlike Bernie or O’Neill, who both left the game when they still had something to give (although one by choice and one not by choice), Posada could gain a lot by continuing to play. He is considered a borderline HOFer by many, so anything he can do to increase his counting stats (such as passing by 300 career HRs) will help his case, even if he compiles those numbers as a DH.

There is a big financial advantage to any player making the HOF. Not sure if Posada actually understands how close he is to making the Hall, or what it would mean to him financiall. He should embrace the DH spot and plan on continuing his career, even if it’s in another uniform.

7. Esteban says:

Who’s upset 4 loko’s getting banned?
    This guy is and I don’t care what you say. It’s terrible but it’s awesome. The politicians are saying “OMG college kids get drunk and do stupid things!!! Ban everything!!! Even if the college kids drinking the stuff probably aren’t of age anyway!! Quick, ban red bull vodkas and jagerbombs too!!!”

8. first time lawng time says:

Similar to my other post:

What do you all see each of the core four doing after their playing career is over? I mean, do you think any of them will still be involved in the MLB in some way?

I could see Jorge being a manager. IDK about the others though.

And when is Bernie retiring? I don’t see him making a comeback anytime soon…

9. Avi says:

From today’s Arizona Republic (I found some points to be interesting):
    An NL executive was skeptical that the Diamondbacks would get anything close to the return they’d seek in order to move him. And if they would, he believes it almost certainly would have to come from one of the two behemoths in the game.

“(Upton’s value is) less than what I’ve read about,” he said. “For one, he probably got overpaid. He’s got supreme talent, but his brother’s record isn’t helping him. He’s never gone to the next level. I don’t know. Maybe he needs a change of scenery.

“Some teams rely more on the scouts and the potential, especially if you’ve got money to spare.”

That, he said, leaves the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees as clubs that could gamble on Upton’s future considering the price he’s locked in at. The executive noted that Upton will be making more than $14 million in each of the final two years of the six-year, $51.25 million deal he signed before this season.

“He might be worth $20 million then,” he said. “But if he’s a bust then somebody’s going to regret it. It’s a risk the Red Sox could take, a risk the Yankees could take. I don’t see any other team giving up a host of young guys for one young guy who hasn’t figured it out yet.”

• Esteban says:

That anonymous NL exec is dumb. What BJ does has little to do with what Justin does, as Mike Maddux, Jeremy Giambi, and Billy Ripken had little to do with their brothers careers.

• bexarama says:

As a pretty avid watcher of MLBN and frequent experience-r of Billy Ripken, I kind of judge Cal Ripken now.

• Steve H says:

Billy Ripken is a former MLB player, Cal Jr’s brother and Cal Sr’s son, yet I still think of him first and foremost as the guy who had “Fuck Face” written on the knob of his bat on a baseball card. I’m guessing a teammate did it because, you know, he’s kind of a fuck face.

• Pretty much nothing that guy said made any sense.

Particularly the notion that only the Sox or Yankees could afford Upton. All 30 teams in baseball could afford Justin Upton.

• Avi says:

He didn’t say that the Yanks and Red Sox are the only teams that could afford him. He said that the Yanks and Red Sox are the only teams that could afford the risk of giving a “host of young guys” AND take on that contract.
        And I’m the one who lacks the skill of reading comprehension.
        Go figure.

• Dirty Pena says:

I don’t think, barring injury, Upton could possibly be enough of a bust (odd term since he’s already had success in his career) that he’s going to bring down an entire franchise by making $14 million. I mean, really, what’s the worst case scenario (barring injury) for the guy at this point? People are severely underrating him from some opinions I’ve seen.

• Steve H says:

People are severely underrating him from some opinions I’ve seen.

This x1000. I don’t know if it’s underrating him or overrating their own prospects, but he’s The Justin Upton for a reason. Dude is young and already has had a lot of success. From age 20-22 he OPS’d .841. Only 4 AL Corner OF’s exceeded that in 2010, Bautista, Choo, Swisher and Crawford. From 20-22 what were those guys doing? Minors, Minors, Minors and .715 OPS.

• Jose the Satirist says:

“Here’s the complete list of all the players in the past 50 years to get at least 1,500 appearances through age 22 and post a higher OPS than Upton: Alex Rodriguez, Miguel Cabrera, Ken Griffey Jr., Tony Conigliaro, Boog Powell, Cesar Cedeno. That’s it. That’s the whole list. And filling out the rest of the top 10, directly behind Upton on the list, are Johnny Bench, Andruw Jones, and Rickey Henderson.”

• bexarama says:

Thank you. Someone was trying to downplay him in another thread, saying he strikes out and GIDPs too much. It’s dumb. He’s already pretty awesome and he’s got a lot of room to grow. Even if he doesn’t get any better he’s already pretty damn awesome. If Montero comes up and does what Upton’s done I’ll be friggin’ thrilled.

• Avi says:

You have to look at his 2010 production at least as much as you look at his 2008 and 2009 production; and probably more. The fact that he regressed this past year almost negates the “OMG he did it at the age of 20-22!” factor.

• Steve H says:

But if he’s a bust

That bridge has already been crossed. He’s not a bust.

10. bexarama says:

So MLBN mentioning the 1996 AL CYA voting being the closest in the last 25 years or something like that made me very grumpy, so I looked at BB-Ref, and I realized the voters………. were right. Hentgen pitched many more innings and had a lower ERA. 8.4 bWAR vs. 5.7 for Andrew Eugene. Sigh. Oh well.

Still, voting for Andy wouldn’t have been the dumbest voting the BBWAA did in 1996:

Hey you have a SS and CF who out-OPSed a corner OF on their own – an excellent defensive SS and CF – without even taking positional adjustment into account. But let’s vote for the poor defensive corner OF because … dingers? I don’t even know, Griffey actually had more.

• All Star Carl says:

Yeah I just looked at that the other day.

The only thing I can think of is, the Mariners missed the postseason.

• We’ve talked about this before, I believe. Yes, the 1996 AL MVP vote was one of the dumbest in history.

• Jose the Satirist says:

1996 was pretty much a bad year for all award voting.

• first time lawng time says:

What about the 2006?

I haven’t looked at the stats of all of the candidates, (because I don’t care enough to do so), but I do think that Jeter had a better offensive year than Morneau. I’m looking at the BA, OBP, SLG, OPS and just the main stuff like that, and it seems that Jeter had the better offensive year. The only thing Mauer was better in was the power numbers, but the OPS’s aren’t even that far off from eachother.

Also, wouldn’t Jeter get more credit/acknowledgement for playing at SS as opposed to 1B?

Forigve me if I’m wrong, but it seems that Jeter was more deserving than Mauer and BBWA made a mistake on this one.

• bexarama says:

Morneau in 2006 wasn’t a good vote at all. He was a good 1B, but in terms of 1Bs/DHes, Ortiz and Hafner were both worth more to their teams. Mauer was better. And Jeter should’ve won.

• 1999′s AL MVP vote has to be up there. Jeter has his best season ever, out OPS+ing A-Rod when he was the superhuman (153 to 134) and you give it to Pudge, who paled in comparison to Jeter in almost every meaningful category.

• bexarama says:

Pudge was hardly an embarrassment though. Jeter should’ve won it. Or Pedro, but I wouldn’t vote for a pitcher for MVP. That probably makes me an old fuddy-duddy but hey I know Felix deserves the Cy Young this year ;)

• Accent Shallow says:

RBI Goggles ™.

Gonzalez averaged over an RBI/game. It was a big deal at the time.

11. first time lawng time says:

Did the Rangers get new uniforms or am is my vision or the color on my TV bad?

Because they look a little different from the last time I saw them.

12. Kiersten says:

Can we talk about the Marlins and how they are an abomination to the sport I so dearly love?

• first time lawng time says:

Okay. What is with all this talk here about the Marlins? I haven’t followed baseball at all really, since the WS ended, and it seems like they’re a running gag here at the moment.

What happened? Am I missing something?

• Carcillo says:

Per usual, the Marlins are dumping payroll this off-season.

It’s to the point where I don’t even know how it’s possible for them to dump anymore payroll.

• bexarama says:

The Marlins traded Dan Uggla for Omar Infante (utility player) and Michael Dunn (LHRP who walks waaaay too many guys). Uggla hits FA next year… but so does Infante. They also signed John Buck, coming off undoubtedly a career year, to a 3-year, $18M deal.

• Hughesus Christo says:

1. Infante isn’t a utility man in Florida.

2. Will Infante be a Type A? Quite possible. If yes, that’s irrelevant.

Florida is trying to hold payroll down while staying competitive, and in that situation it makes some sense to pull that trade. You would still think they could do a lot better, but it’s gotten overblown.

• bexarama says:

1. Jerry Hairston Jr. wasn’t a utility man on the Reds before we got him in 2009. That’s irrelevant.

2. I think I heard he wouldn’t be.

Sure, the trade makes sense to keep payroll down. I even get trading Uggla while his value is high (though they traded him for Infante, who also had inflated value and isn’t as good as Uggla to begin with). But then don’t sign a meh catcher coming off a career year to a significant contract. Disclaimer that teams might have needs/things they’re trying to do that we just don’t know about, but I just don’t get their moves.

• mbonzo says:

They’re not an abomination if they trade the Yankees Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson for Eduardo Nunez and Boone Logan, maybe Pat Venditte if they get really greedy.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Trading Uggla in the division for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn, then adding John Buck at 3/18M. If that had been posted on here as a proposal two weeks ago, it would have been ridiculed into oblivion.

• Accent Shallow says:

In a just world, Loria and Samson would be drug out into the street and shot.

13. Steve H says:

In baseball history there have been 15 players who played at least 350 games between age’s 20-22 and had an OPS higher than Justin Upton did in the same time frame.

Williams
    Cobb
    Aaron
    Arky Vaughan
    Cepeda
    Pinson

Das it.

14. Fun fact: Felix’s opposition hit .210 off him this season. The 2010 Mariners hit .236.

• Avi says:

Imagine what they would hit if Felix was pitching to them.

• JGS says:

From June 13th on, all opponents hit .187/.241/.275/.516 off Felix. That’s his final 21 starts, including all three against the Yankees, two against Texas, one against Boston, Minnesota, Cincinnati…

• JGS says:

Oh yea, I forgot the best part. The Mariners were 12-9

• Avi says:

.187/.241/.275/.516 in 21 starts. CRAZY

• JGS says:

Pedro 2000:

.167/.213/.259/.473 over the entire season (29 starts)

b-ref’s play index only goes back to 1920 for this, so while I’m sure some deadball pitchers (probably Walter Johnson) were better than that, that .473 stands as the post-deadball record. That’s not adjusted for era, either, and it was at the height of the steroid era. 19 players qualified for the batting title with an OPS over 1.000 in 2000, and opponents OPSed .473 off Pedro.

Perspective: Mariano Rivera has held opponents to less than a .473 OPS just twice in his career (2005 and 2008)

• All Star Carl says:

Here is a fact.

Felix is great.

His team sucks.

15. KeithK says:

Making a dedicated baseball stadium football friendly is tough, just geometrically. But I can think of one easy way that they could’ve made the new yard more football friendly. If they’d gone with more old school dimensions in left field then the sideline could have been more or less parallel with the left field line, making great sight lines for that side of the seating. More importantly, we’d get Death Valley back. I miss having a cavernous left center field (only remember 430′ but still).

16. Steve H says:

So Jayson Stark says he doubts the Marlins would be in on Upton because of his 5/$50 remaining on his contract but they’ll hand 3/$18 to Buck? I think Stark is wrong, though the Marlins are pretty damn stupid as well.

17. nsalem says:

And the Marlins still won more game than the Mets this year and will
    probably do so next year. Are the amount of games a team wins over the course of a season still a relevant statistic?

18. first time lawng time says:

YOu know, I hear people make the argument that Hamilton shouldn’t win the MVP, because he missed about a month in Spetember. And while, I feel Hamilton is deserving, due to his numbers, those people have a point.

Most Valuable player is just that. The most valuable. If you think about it, Hamilton provided no value for one month. And anything could have happened in that month if he played and wasn’t injured. For example, he could go into a huge slump, brining his numbers down. (yeah it’s not likely, but you can’t rule it out…it’s possible that that could have happened, but we obviously don’t know). Cano, on the other hand,missed 2 games. And one of them was after his “back injury”. Cano played 27 more games than Hamilton, allowing him to provide 27 games’ worth of value for his team.

Now I’m not saying that Cano is more deserving or not or that BBWA should base their decision off of this, I’m just saying that this is a valid argument that one could make.

• first time lawng time says:

Then again he could have gone on a hot streak during that missed month, but we don’t know that either. Anything could have happened during that time.

• bexarama says:

WAR is a counting stat, which means it properly weighs games played. He outdid Cano there. I think Hamilton missing a month should factor into a vote, but the fact that he still managed to out-WAR everyone was impressive. Plus it was basically a pointless month, Texas had the division all wrapped up.

• Hughesus Christo says:

WAR isn’t the word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I just feel the need to point that out from time to time.

• bexarama says:

No, it’s not, wasn’t trying to say it was. Just when a counting stat like that still shows a huge advantage for one guy over the rest of the pack, even (and maybe especially) if that guy missed a bunch of time, it’s worth noting.

19. seimiya says:

Whenever I see ballparks turned into football gridirons, I’m offended. This probably has something to do with the fact that I think football is a stupid sport (sorry, football fans), and baseball is the most noble sport in the world. You’re turning this amazing place, a baseball diamond, green and brown, into a place for people to throw their bodies at each other and grunt and shout and turn the dirt all disgusting. This is not just for Yankee Stadium – I also feel this way about the Coliseum (which i leave nearby). There’s no pitcher’s mound! Don’t they understand how incredible pitcher’s mounds are? And they drove over it! It’s gone!

Stupid football.

That is all.

20. Kiersten says:

I became an approved commenter on Gawker today.

That’s pretty much what I’ve accomplished at work so far…

21. I always feel so left out when I miss over 175 comments on the Open Thread.

22. So far, this already looks like a year where contracts are getting out of hand.

-John Buck 3 years/18 mil
    -Joakim Benoit 3 years/16.5 mil
    -A’s offer Beltre 5 years/64 mil

If present trends continue, I guess we can expect Lee to get 6 or 7 years and Derek to get 4 or 5.

23. Avi says:

Wally Matthews of ESPN.com is quoting “a source” that says “Jeter wants four years minimum, preferably five or six”

If I were the Yanks I’d tell him JUMP IN THE LAKE! (I’d prob say it in a nicer way but make sure I make my point just as strong)

24. Esteban says:

NoMaas has been tweeting that Montero/Gardner/Joba is way too much for TJU and Joba and Gardner doubled Upton’s WAR from last year, so it wouldn’t be worth it anyway

• I love Montero, Gardner, and Joba as much as anyone… but if the D-Bags would accept that package for The Justin, I’d be all over that shit like Raul Mondesi on a postgame buffet. I couldn’t say “yes” fast enough.

• -Including Montero is pointless and silly, since Rosenthal reported they’re looking for an OF, SP and RP.

-That’s not too much when you consider his age and contract

-You have to wonder how desperate the Yanks are to get him, considering they were pretty happy with their OF production last year. That being the case, they’re only likely to go so far as bidders, and probably won’t bid enough to be a finalist, or to make Towers want to pull the trigger on a deal he really doesn’t have to make. This has to be a franchise-changing deal for him, and I don’t see the Yanks offering that, nor should they.

25. Xstar7 says:

Jesus Montero is GONNA BE THE NEXT Sandy Alomar Jr. Anticlimactic wasn’t it?

26. first time lawng time says:

Rank your favorite Yakees in order from favorite to least using the players: Jorge, Cervelli, Texiera, Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Swisher, Granderson, Gardner, CC, Hughes, AJ, Pettitte, Javy, Robertson, Joba, Mo, Logan.
    Mine:
    14. Jeter
    15. Joba
    16. Hughes
    17. Gardner
    18. Cervelli

THoughts? Agree/disagree? Share?

I didn not base this solely on numbers or performance, but also for personal reasons.

27. Esteban says:

I like Modern Family but every episode is pretty much
    funny even–>improbable event–>even more improbable situation that resolves itself in a cheesy way. C’mon writers, not every episode has to end in some life lesson.

28. Esteban says:

List your top 20 favorite condiments.

/FTLT’d

29. bonestock94 says:

In 3 years Tulowitzki is a free agent, in 4 years Hanley Ramirez is. Both perfectly coincide with 2 probable conclusions to Jeter’s upcoming contract.

30. Steve H says:

I understand that Gary Sanchez has a ton of (ridiculous) upside, but what kind of trade value would he carry on today’s market? 3rd guy in an Upton deal, 4th? 2nd?

• Avi says:

A lot of times teams want Major League ready talent. Sometimes they don’t. Really depends on what they’re looking for.
      I think with Sanchez you let him develop a little more and you’ll have yourself a future star or prime trade bait. Doesn’t make much sense to trade him now.

• Reggie C. says:

In an Upton deal, Sanchez is the 4th prospect “packaged.” And that’s why he should be off-limits. Let the 4th guy in a deal be Adam Warren … you know, someone who’s ceiling is alot more well gauged. Sanchez could turn out to be a top 20 MiLB prospect by end of next season.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Depends on the team. We could get Josh Johnson if we dealt him to the Marlins.

If it’s the Sox, one million Gary Sanchez’s won’t be worth a strand of Casey Kelly’s hair.

31. Steve H says:

Rajon Rondo could go the next 5 games without an assist and still lead the league.

• The Ancient Mariner says:

I’m not a big basketball guy, but I love the NBA playoffs, I recall in 2007-2008 where it seemed like he was the best player on the court at all times. Dude gets seriously underrated. I throughly look forward to seeing Kobe and Pau run all over his ass in the finals again, though.

32. Jenny says:

especially when there are lots of trade rumors like there are right now.
    ————————————

What rumors?

33. Just a heads up, my post tomorrow at 11 is of the interactive variety. I think you guys will like it.

34. Dan says:

How about trading Joba and Romine for Gavin Floyd?

• Gut reaction, that’s a little much.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I’d be down. Joba’s going nowehre in this org making it really Romine straight up.

It’ll hurt sure but with the plethora of catching prospects I’d be willing to do it. now Romine is the best defenively being average but a good hitter with a meh to bad glove has good value. See VMart.

But I only get Floyd if either Lee or Pettitte isn’t on the team.

• Reggie C. says:

Have we already missed out on both Lee and Pettitte?

• The Ancient Mariner says:

If they lose Pettitte he’s probably a better option than Ivan Nova or any of the other types. Given Romine’s increased K-rates and slumping hitting stats (which, in fairness and homerism may be because of his homepark and him being tired) Gavin Floyd seems like a decent haul.

• Accent Shallow says:

I went to Gavin Floyd’s BR page to verify, and realized his only CGSHO was in 2006 when he was a Phillie . . . and it was rain shortened!

Ehhhh, I’m not crazy about Floyd. I think he’s gonna give up a lot more bombs this year — 7.6% HR/FB% in 2010.

(God, that sounded so stereotypically stat-nerdy)

• candyforstalin says:

they have flowers. last week i tried to come up with a trade proposal for him but nothing made sense.

35. “He [Stan Musial] may truly be the last untarnished icon in baseball history.”

Ummm, what?

36. Steve H says:

For Avi:

In Upton’s down year that he just had, he had the 22nd highest OPS in baseball history of any corner outfielder to play at least 120 games and qualify for the batting title. Cutting that to RF’s only he had the 10th highest OPS in baseball history.

In a down year.

37. Esteban says:

So I’m stuck in central PA for another night, and watching the local news last night, one of the top news stories was that one of Harrisburg’s firetrucks was out of service because they didn’t renew its registration on time. Wow I am glad I live in NYC (or I guess any real city)

• Dick says:

car registration = big gubment soulsohlism.

• In other boring, non-NYC news, Stamford, CT schools have bed bugs.

• first time lawng time says:

Ewwwww

• Yeah, I’m just waiting for some kid from my intern-school to get sent home. A math teacher and guidance counselor were talking about it this morning; I told them that if I started itching, I’d blame them.

• Kit says:

That’s awful. I think there’s been cases in NYC schools too and I just heard that parts of Lincoln hospital in the Bronx had to be shut down because of bedbugs. Where’s DDT and it’s environmentally detrimental and birth defect inducing power when you need it.

• first time lawng time says:

A month or 2 ago wasn’t it something like almost all of Manhattan was infested with bed bugs?

I’m pretty sure they had to close Victoria’s Secret, Hollister, and a few other stores.

Something like 1 million people were affected I think.

• Kit says:

Yeah. Thank god I never shop at any of those stores, but it’s still disgusting to think that anything you buy can potentially ruin your home. I’m not usually afraid of bugs, but bed bugs are the one thing I can simply not handle since they’re so difficult to get rid of.

• first time lawng time says:

I can’t handle any bugs.

I’m such a wimp. I am absolutely terrified of bugs, especially spiders. If I ever came across a tarantula, I would probably have a panic attack. And I’m not even exaggerating.

• Kit says:

I raised a bunch of insects for my thesis (I was doing DNA related stuff) and my disgust for them disappeared (nothing like maggots to make that go away), but I really can’t handle anything that disturbs my sleep/won’t let me sleep. You can’t feel them bite, but I’m such a light sleeper, I’d probably feel them crawl. Grosses me out.

• first time lawng time says:

Imagine a hundred of those crawling around your feet and all over your body.

Ewwwww.

• Kit says:

Some fruit flies, some mosquitoes and bees. I murdered so many of them. So many.

• JGS says:

Ugh, I could never work with mosquitoes or bees

• Kit says:

They weren’t that bad. When the bees stung me, I killed them. It was a fair trade, I think. Better than working with mice, which I had to do for my medical physiology class. Fuckers bit up my hand something awful, and I was stuck in a group entirely made up of girls, so I had to be the brave one while they shrieked in my ear. We also dissected a rat. Now that was gross.

• JGS says:

Dissecting a rat sounds kinda awesome. What in the hell kind of medical physiology class required you to work with live mice?

• First time lawng time says:

I dissected a rat back in bio. I’m pretty squeamish but my partner was a wimp so I sucked it up and had to do everyhing. It wasn’t that bad though other than when ou have to cut through the skin and open him up

• Kit says:

JGS: We were testing the effects of certain hormone treatments on the thyroid, and needed live animals. They were super annoying and terrified so they crapped all over the place. Not a fun class.

FTLT: It just smelled really bad. And it wasn’t like a small rat either, but like a rat from NYC streets large. We also had to feel around its gut for something behind its duodenum. Just majorly disgusting.

• JGS says:

Yeesh, that sounds intense. And it probably just smelled like the preservatives they use for these things. You might want to get used to that one, you’ll be dealing with it a lot.

Man, that sounds like an intense class. In every physio class I’ve ever taken, they just told us what the stuff does, we weren’t doing the actual experiments.

• Kit says:

Yeah, the smell of formaldehyde makes me light headed, so I’m not looking forward to that, but we spent a lot of time in the labs doing experiments and killing things and using each other as human subjects. I had about 16 lab hours logged per week up until my senior year.

• JGS says:

killing things and using each other as human subjects

I’m not sure if that is scary or just awesome.

• Kit says:

Haha…it was awesome until we got to the experiment where we were all electrically shocked. It was with low voltage, but not pleasant. I can’t even remember what we were doing for that lab. They were probably just trying to kill us.

• JGS says:

Whoa, that’s nuts. The worst we’ve had to do here is prick our fingers to type ourselves. We do physical exams on each other too, but once we get to the sensitive stuff they start hiring actors for us.

• Kit says:

*its

Hate those random mistakes.

• Kiersten says:

Tell me about it, I do the local section of a newspaper with a circulation of about 40,000. Today my centerpiece is about a “Blessing of the Hands” ceremony at some retirement center. And that beats the centerpiece from yesterday about some restaurant putting up Christmas decorations.

38. The Ancient Mariner says:

Wow, pretty big trade market this year: Prince, Greinke, Justin Upton, Adrian Gonzalez, Gavin Floyd, Uggla (formerly), DeJesus (formerly too), and that’s just the start of guys who could switch teams. I also expect to see Napoli, Papelbon, and perhaps Shields and Garza too. Weak free agent market, but awesome trade rumors.

• The Ancient Mariner says:

Add Colby Rasumus’ name to that list too. Also Derek Jeter’s seeking four years, sigh…

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Actually that’s not too bad. When starting off negotiations you’re going to ask the world at first. It’ll go down I’m sure.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Either Doug Melvin’s a liar or a complete idiot but he said Fielder is not on the market.

Papelbon reportedly is being shopped only if the Sox chip in a good portion of his salary. Serves them right for paying someone like him at almost Mo levels.

And I most definitely expect one of Garza and Shields to get traded. Add in Gavin Floyd too. Perhaps Mark Reynolds. Busy trade market indeed.

39. first time lawng time says:

So based on comments the past few days, the Marlins apparently are trading away and getting rid of their good players and such.

It makes you realize how lucky we are to be Yankees fans. Even if they don’t win every year we should all be thankful that we have an owner and GM that cares about winning and will do whatever it takes to put the best possible team out their on the field.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

No we should be lucky the Yankees are rich in lore and play in the most populated city in America owned by a rich family who can afford dishing out 200 million because if they win they know the many fans will give that money right back.

The Marlins do care about winning but they play in a horrible area with people that do not care about baseball. They were never keeping Uggla so I understand why they traded him.

I don’t understand why they rushed the trade and got a bad package. Owndership is a huge problem in that state. If I hit the lottery I could buy the Marlins and probably put in a higher payroll for one year.

40. Avi says:

I have “She’s out of you League” form netflix tonight.
    Any good?

41. yankees1717 says:

someone’s probably asked this already, but how about gavin floyd as a backup plan for lee? he’s a solid guy, and i think we could give up like jose ramirez ivan nova david phelps and austin romine and get that done. seriously we have enough depth at those positions for that not to hurt us.

also, how about leo nunez as a setup guy? wouldn’t take that much to acquire, like nova and albaladejo should get that done, and he strikes out a lot of people. thoughts?

42. JobaWockeeZ says:

Yankees get Upton for Hughes, Joba, Montero and Banuelos. Which outfielder do we trade and what will the return be?

I think Swisher as he is the oldest and most expensive I believe and worst defensively. I love him but he’s probably gone. Now I don’t know if Cash will trade him to replenish the farm or package him for liek a pitcher.

Much likely the latter.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Adding to the Justin Upton conversation it appears the Yankees offer has ‘fallen short’ while the Red Sox ‘remain engaged.’

And Towers says the trade is picking up wheels. Interestng. I doubted any trade for Upton would happen because Towers isn’t an idiot and will only get top packages. But now things are heating up fast.

• Granderslam says:

I recently read that the trade talks have supposedly “stalled” between the Sox and Dbacks given the asking price. Who knows what to believe, but just reporting what I read.

• Avi says:

What do you think the Red Sox give if they get him?
        Watch it be something crappy like elsbury, casey kelly and lars anderson.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

That would be a pretty sucky package. That’s an udnerstatement actually. Sox need to double that to get near a trade.

• Avi says:

You’d hope. I’ll say it again, if Upton is traded it’ll be for MUCH less than what most people are speculating.
            Take it to the bank.

• Avi says:

The Yanks have MUCH more ammo to get a deal done than the Red Sox do. They need to make that work for them.

• Tom Zig says:

The Red Sox NEED outfield help. An outfield of Ellsbury, 75 year old Cameron, and the perpetually injured Drew isn’t one to inspire confidence in. The price should be higher for them.

• candyforstalin says:

what kind of sense would this make?

• Mike HC says:

I would never do that deal if I were the Yanks. Arizona would do backflips if they were able to pull that off.

43. candyforstalin says:

it’s not exactly nina simone but wow. it’s not sweet and quirky indie princess either.

• Sean C says:

I’ve been a She&Him fan since their first album a year or two ago. Zooey Deschanel has a decent voice, and the music behind it makes it better. All things said, she does bear a striking resemblance to Katy Perry (which ain’t bad at all).

44. LawStudent says:

Tsuyoshi Nishioka is being posted. If Derek Jeter wasn’t Derek Jeter, it would be an interesting replacement for him.

45. djh116 says:

A AL exec told heyman the price on upton is ridiculous. What did he expect?

46. JM says:

Fallout: New Vegas is a good game.

47. bonestock94 says:

What is a website to look up average batting statistics by position?

48. Zack says:

Greg Oden having microfracture surgery agan. Atleast he has a personality that can make him some money.

• Esteban says:

Wow Oden over Durant gets worse and worse by the minute.

• Greg Oden is this century’s Sam Bowie.

• Steve H says:

As a Celtics fan I was devastated when they got the 5th pick and got screwed in the lottery again. Obviously things worked out with the Allen and KG trades, but I’m still a little bitter in that Bill Simmons (who has great Celtics sources) swears that Ainge was ready to take Durant #1 if he had gotten the pick. I would be so happy getting to root for Durant for the next 10 years. If I could give back the title and have a core of Rondo, Durant, Pierce, and Jefferson I would seriously consider it.

• Dick says:

got screwed in the lottery again.

sometimes you get screwed in the lottery, sometimes the lottery screws you (cough/ len bias/ cough).

• Sam says:

You mean better and better
        /Thunder Up!

49. Anthony Murillo says:

Nolan Ryan told Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal that he expects the Yankees to outbid the Rangers for Cliff Lee (Twitter link). The Rangers will try to sell the appeal of Texas to Lee, an Arkansas native, but they don’t have the same spending power as the Yankees.