Nov

Open Thread: Uggla on the market

(AP Photo/J. Pat Carter)

The Marlins have been mighty busy this weekend. They’ve already traded away the two key pieces they received in the Miguel Cabrera blockbuster, and today we found out that they intend to trade Dan Uggla as well. The second baseman turned down a fat four-year contract offer a week or so ago, so they’re trying to get something in return before he leaves as a free agent next offseason. Uggla is just one of nine players to hit 30+ homers in each of the last four years, and is the only middle infielder to do so (the others: Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, Prince Fielder, Adrian Gonzalez, Ryan Howard, Adam Dunn, Albert Pujols, and Miggy),

Consider this a preemptive strike: no, the Yanks will not go after him. Yes he’d be a perfect fit since he could play second, third, and DH, but they’re not going to give up a boatload of prospects for a freakin’ super-utility guy likely to make $10M+ in his final year of arbitration. It would work in a vacuum, but the cost far exceeds the most likely outcome. Just forget about it.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The late MNF games should be entertaining enough, it features the Patriots at the Steelers. The Knicks are in action as well. Talk about whatever, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

• Jerome S says:

I swear, these days anyone can put together a profile and call themselves a sports analyst despite knowing nothing.

• Carl Crawford’s slash line in the 2010 playoffs: .143/.243/.286

• JGS says:

Opt for an everyday 29-year-old all-around star who hit .307 last season in the same division as the Yankees, and who batted an eye-popping .359 with runners in scoring position.

Carl Crawford, 2010 with RISP: .359/.400/.538/.938 in 178 PAs
      Carl Crawford, 2009 with RISP: .245/.337/.333/.670 in 177 PAs

• bexarama says:

Crawford’s a career .296 hitter. He hit .359 with RISP this year, in 178 PA. That’s awesome. Last year? .245, with just a .670 OPS. Almost like that’s not really a repeatable skill.

Also, this guy’s hysteria about our lack of production from the OF because of the postseason is awesome because Crawford hit .143/.143/.286/.429 in this year’s ALDS before his team got bounced outta there.

Not trying to say Crawford isn’t a very good player, and that Lee probably won’t be overpaid and get too many years. But that article’s reasoning is incredibly stupid – and Crawford will get too much money for too many years too, when he doesn’t fit the team’s needs as much as Lee does.

• alex says:

Curtis Granderson, the most talented of the three regular outfielders, hit, .295 in the ALCS. But if you take away the huge World Series he had with Detroit a couple of years back, even Granderson is only .204 lifetime in postseason play.

Granderson hit .095/.136/.143 in the 06 WS.
      He’s just making up stats lol.

Wish FJM was back.

• I bet I could write a better article than that in my sleep.

• Cecala says:

As a Staten Islander, I know never to read SIlive. The fact that out of borough people read it is mindbottling.

• Kiersten says:

As a Staten Islander, I am asking you to please never, ever link to an article from SI Live ever again.

I’m pretty sure that was worse than anything FJM ever commented on.

1. JGS says:

Swisher, Joba, and Nunez for Uggla and Josh Johnson. Who cares about paying Uggla lots of money, he’ll provide pop off the bench, and it’s not my money anyway. Johnson is a beast, then we go sign Lee and Crawford. #28 baby!

(am I doing this right?)

2. Over/Under: 8.5 callers on WFAN tomorrow proposing something ridiculous to get Uggla to the Mets

3. first time lawng time says:

You know what championship team of the 90s dynasty was really random? 1999. I mean that team and series doesn’t really pop out team compared to the others. !996 was special because it was the first one in years and intense and they were the underdogs, 1998 was the greatest tean ever and all that, and 2000 was against the Mets. Then you have 1999 which is just kind of there.

That’s my opinion at least.

• bexarama says:

The 1999 team was like worlds better than the 2000 team though. Sorry, but that 2000 team is one of the worst teams to win the WS, ever. The 2008 Yankees had more wins than them, in a much harder division.

• first time lawng time says:

Haha, yeah but that team was more memorable, because of the Subway series.

• JGS says:

Or the 1999 team was more memorable because a) they went 11-1 in the playoffs, and b) they had a walkoff homer in the WS

Also, I was at Game 4. It was awesome.

• first time lawng time says:

Yeah. I guess it just depends on the person. I mean, I think the reason I don’t find it as memorable as the others, is that you hear more about the other teams that’s all.

• Yeah, nothing really stood out from that team. It’s not like Jeter and Bernie had their best seasons ever or anything.

• first time lawng time says:

I’m just saying in general. I’m not looking at personal stats or anything. It just seems like that World Series doesn’t really stick out compared to the other ones.

• Bryan L says:

I agree. I don’t know why all these user’s are chewing you out for this. Your points are certainly valid.

4. Hakeen Nicks gets me excited in my crotchal region.

FUCK YOU BOOTHE.

5. Word is that the Jays are the favorite to land Uggla. Can you imagine that Toronto lineup with a guy who knows how to hit them out but also get on base (11.4% BB rate last season)? Scary. Likely the third best team in the East if they manage to land Uggla.

• bexarama says:

While getting Uggla would help, that depends on a lot. Can Bautista do what he did this year? Can Wells not utterly suck? Will their young pitchers go through too many growing pains? IMO, this isn’t really a bold statement, the Jays could be *really* good next year or *really* bad. Also, aren’t they losing a lot of bullpen guys?

• They’re losing Downs, Frasor, and Gregg, their 7th/8th/9th guys. That would be a pretty big issue if they can’t resign two of the three.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

They rumor of dealing Drabek, Snider, + for Greinke is developing momentum. If they trade for Uggla without losing anything significant and have a Greinke, Romero, Marcum, Morrow rotation I think they’ll have a good shot. Now, if they sign a bigger FA like Victor Martinez I think they could easily compete for the ALE crown. Whether or not that’s all possible is a different question.

• first time lawng time says:

3rd best? Do you think that Tampa Bay will be as good next year? (Serious question, I don’t mean that sarcastically). They’re getting rid of Crawford and Soriano, so they might be out of contention.

• I doubt Tampa is going to be as good next season. They’re losing their entire bullpen, left fielder, and probably their first baseman. The Red Sox aren’t going to be plagued by injuries again, Toronto is taking baby steps forward, and the O’s are the O’s.

6. Saw “Due Date” this weekend w/the GF…good, funny, maybe not as funny as I wanted it to be, but still solid.

7. first time lawng time says:

Anyone watch the 16 & Pregnant/ Teen Mom marathon on MTV today?

Those people are so gross and nasty (most of them are southern too, lol) and dumb but it is pretty entertaining.

I didn’t watch most of it — only like 2 episodes but it was still amusing.

8. first time lawng time says:

Top 3 guys with the worst/ most “interesting” suits:
    1. Don Cherry
    2. That guy from TBS (what’s his name?)
    3. Walt Frazier

9. T-Dubs says:

Hey Matt, is UConn going to make a BCS game?!

10. Carcillo says:

People can bash the Yankees all they want for their payroll and what not…

but it’s teams like the Marlins that are the real joke.

• first time lawng time says:

I hate it when people bash the Yankees for it. I shouldn’t care, but it’s soo annoying. People just need something to complain about.

11. first time lawng time says:

Favorite teams in each of the 4 main sports that aren’t your first favorite (if that makes any sense).

Favorites:
    1. Yankees (in no particular order)
    2. Knicks
    3. Rangers
    4. Cowboys

Second Favorites:
    1. SF Giants
    2. Orlando Magic
    3. LA Kings
    4. Any team that isn’t the Jets or Red Skins

Agree? Disagree? Opinions? Yours?

• Cecala says:

1 Yankees
      2) Never had a favorite like Jets > Giants but said Browns 5 years ago as a joke so yeah…
      3) Nets the horrible season made me a fan
      4) Rangers

1)Royals
      2) same as 2
      3) Suns
      4) Oilers

Yeah I like to be the anti-frontrunner

• T-Dubs says:

1. Yankees
      2. Ray Allen (so Celtics, formerly Sonics, formerly Bucks)
      3. Whalers
      4. Jets? I really dislike more teams than I like. Dislike the Ravens, Rams, Colts and despise the Patriots.

• Steve H says:

1. Yankees
      2. Celtics
      3. Bruins (Hockey? meh)
      4. Patriots

1.Expos/Nationals
      2.Thunder (Durant mancrush)
      3.Avalanche (got Bourque a Cup)
      4.Lions (back to the Barry Sanders days)

• Big Juan says:

3) Magic
      4) I couldn’t be bothered to follow a second hockey team

• Favorites:
      MLB: Red Sox (teehee)
      NHL: Rangers
      NFL: Giants
      NBA: Knicks (Eh, I hate basketball)

Second Favorites:
      MLB: Rockies, Twins, Braves
      NHL: Kings, Lightning, Wild, Red Wings
      NFL: Saints (I just like Drew Brees)
      NBA: TimmyWolves

College:
      Boston College Eagles, University of Wisconsin Badgers, Syracuse

• Carcillo says:

1. Yankees
      2. none (live in Florida, couldn’t care much for the Magic, revile the Heat)
      3. Lightning
      4. Buccaneers

1. Rockies, if anyone
      2. none (can’t have a second without a first, no?)
      3. none
      4. Giants/Titans (Giants ‘cuz I can’t hate them, Titans because I’ve always liked VY and Chris Johnson, but especially VY. That said, I don’t actively root for either team.)

• Jerome S says:

NHL: Devils

Second:
      MLB: Pirates
      NBA: Blazers
      NFL: Bears
      NHL: Whalers

I don’t really particularly root for any of those second-favorite teams, but I think that’s who I’d go with after my faves. I go with the Pirates because they’re an old franchise that has seen hard-times for a good long while now, I love their stadium, and I think it’d be fun if someone would go in there and rebuild that org from the bottom-up. I go with the Blazers because Portland’s a cool town with a fan-base I don’t dislike, and I liked the Drexler teams when I was a kid. I go with the Bears because the ’86 Bears were one of those teams that kind of transcended their sport, my dad went to Chicago when I was a kid and brought me back a Refrigerator Perry jersey that I loved, and because I lived in Chicago for a while a few years back and really loved it there. And the Whale is the CT in me, which I know is kind of a cop-out, but I don’t really like any NHL team other than my fave.

Although I’ll add as a caveat… I don’t hate the “other” local NYC teams as much as most fans do. I think as I’ve gotten older and lived in different cities I’ve gained much more of an appreciation for just rooting for NY over other cities who pretty universally dislike NY. Like… I don’t like the Giants, but I’ll be damned if I’d rather see some city full of shitheads celebrate defeating NY than see NY come out on top.

• 1. Yankees
      2. Don’t care about NBA
      3. Thrashers
      4. Bills

Seconds:
      1. Braves/Rockies
      2. Ditto above
      3. Sabres
      4. Ravens

• Kiersten says:

You made this post without college football and therefore I am offended.

• Joey says:

Favorites:
      MLB: Yankees
      NBA: Not a BB guy
      NFL: Jets
      NHL: Rangers/Panthers (worked for them for a few years)

Second:
      MLB: Never really thought about it, guess the Braves, Pirates, or Indians?
      NFL: Steelers
      NHL: Above

12. Can anyone who understands Italian tell me what “servili” means?

13. first time lawng time says:

Luis Scola is in desperate need of a haircut.

14. ultimate913 says:

Good read. Maybe if/when Lee joins the Yanks, he can be on an episode of “When I was 17″ like CC, using that picture.

15. first time lawng time says:

That would be so weird to be 7 ft tall.

16. first time lawng time says:

You know who is really not a great actress? Or even that pretty? Megan Fox. I don’t get why everyone thinks she is so great. She is not that good of an actress and she’s kinda weird looking.

Just my opinion.

17. pat says:

Saw that Giants’ loss from a mile away. What a pathetic f*cking game form the defense. No pass rush, no secondary. Embarrassing.

18. first time lawng time says:

Wait, so when was it announced that Joe Morgan was leaving ESPN? Because I announced it on the off topic thread on like Thursday or sometime last week and everyone was laughing at me. I thought I had breaking news. When did everyone find out? lol

19. Xstar7 says:

Who do you guys think Jesus Montero will turn out to be more like, Mike Piazza, Jorge Posada, or Sandy Alomar Jr.?

20. first time lawng time says:

Gallinari neeeds a shave and a haircut. That fuzzy wannabe chinstrap he’s trying to grow is doing nothing for him. Pretty nauseating.

21. Jimmy McNulty says:

Hey, why isn’t Mustang talking shit about the Cowboys tonight?

• bexarama says:

Clearly his talking shit about them caused them to dominate the Giants today.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Totally what I was suggesting…

• pat says:

Teh schadenfreude!!!!!!

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Typically I wouldn’t bring it up, but when I read comments in the ALCS threads about the Cowboy bashing and when I see a fan base bashing the team of another fan base that just demolished them in a different sport I think it’s kind of douchey…reeks of Red Sox fandom to me.

• JGS says:

What does Cowboy hatred among Giants fans (of which I’m sure there are many who frequent this site) have to do with the Rangers and Yankees?

• bexarama says:

There’s a difference between being happier your rival team loses than your own team wins – that’s not okay IMO – and then being happy when a rival team loses. Nothing wrong with the latter. And I still don’t get your argument, people hated the Cowboys well before the 2010 ALCS and got pleasure out of them losing for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with that series

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It just reeks of “Well FUCK the Yankees are getting their shit pushed in…OH FUCK THE COWBOYS SUCK WHO GIVES A FUCK IF THE TEAM ACROSS THE STREET IS ABOUT TO CURBSTOMP THE YANKEES IN THE ALCS LETS ALL TALK SHIT ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!”

Kinda like prior to 2004 all the Red Sox fans in New England clinged to the Greatriots earlier in the decade and they clinged to the Cs back in their heyday.

I dunno about you guys, but I’d wager if you’re a Yankee fan all the other sports teams you root for come secondary, I know that’s the way it is for me. Most Yankee/Giants fans or Yankee/Any other team for that matter fans don’t give a shit what their NFL team does as long as the Yankees win.

• bexarama says:

I guarantee you people were talking shit about the Cowboys last year when the Rangers were a non-factor. I really don’t give a shit what happens in baseball as long as the Yankees win but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the heck out of really painful Red Sox losses too.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I understand, and never suggested otherwise. So let me ask you this, when the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs and the trivia question at the Bruins game was “What team’s season ended last night?” do you think that was lame or douce-y?

Furhtermore, I enjoy the Red Sox losses because they help the Yankees.

• first time lawng time says:

I enjoy Red Sox losses because I enjoy seeing Red Sox fans suffer.

• bexarama says:

That was totally fucking lame and douchey. I just don’t see how it’s the same as mustang, who’s a Giants fan who’s hated the Cowboys forever, shit-talking the Cowboys. It’s not like there’s a Yankees/Rangers rivalry, they just happened to play each other this year. There is a Giants/Cowboys rivalry.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

How is it not the same thing? I’m pretty sure at least 85% of the crowd at the Bank were Red Sox fans and hated the Yankees for their entire lives. It’s different because you stand up for your guy.

• bexarama says:

Look, if someone decided to hate the Cowboys because the Yankees lost to the Rangers in the ALCS that’s lame. (Though presumably said people also hate the Lions, Browns, Patriots, and uh, whatever football team you associate with the Anaheim area. And they hate the Chiefs from 1980, too, or something.) I’m just saying, I think people’s hatred of the Cowboys goes back a looooooong time before the ALCS and is therefore non-lame.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Much like the NE area’s hatred of the Yankees goes back a looooooong time, before the Bruins were even around, really.

22. The Cleveland Show took a shit on the 04 and 07 Red Sox. =D

23. Jimmy McNulty says:

So my fantasy team needs Brady to stop playing well for the rest of the night and Rashard Mendenhall to get targeted but not catch any passes tonight.

130 to 103, he’s got Brady and Mendenhall left, and I got Lesean McCoy going tomorrow night.

6pts for all TDs, -3 for a pick, -1 for a sack, 2pts for a catch, -1 for a target.

24. Jimmy McNulty says:

Post a song that describes what you’re doing:

25. first time lawng time says:

Top 3 least favorite states in no particular order: (in general, not just because of sports)
    1. Texas
    2. Arizona
    3. Maine

3 least favorite cities in no particular order: (not just for sports, in general)
    1. Philadelphia
    2. any city in Texas
    3. Cleveland

Agree/disagree?

26. first time lawng time says:

I know this was sorta brought up last week, but I just have one thing to say. I really don’t think there’s such thing as “good” and “bad” fans. I mean, who are we to judge people’s fandom? And what makes someone a “good” fan and someone a “bad” fan? IDK. whatever.

• You’re on point today with these surveys and questions!

Anyone could make a good fan.

Bad fan: She who likes the Giants AND the Cowboys!

OHWUTNOWFTLT?IJUSTCALLEDUOUT!HAHAJUSTKIDDING!

• Kit says:

I guess from last week the “argument” we were having kind of distorted the point that I should have made instead and I do apologize for it because I really have nothing against you. It really shouldn’t matter who’s a “bad” fan and a “good” fan. If you love your team, support your team, have high hopes and expect the best out of your team, that’s all that should matter. What other people think of you shouldn’t even come a close second, third or fourth. I don’t think anyone considers themselves a bad fan, so that’s really the opinion of other people who shouldn’t matter.

• First time lawng time says:

No need to apologize:) but I was just thinking about this that night so I thought I’d share. I brought it up because I hear people (not here just in general) calling people bad fans and I don’t hthik it’s right for people to do that.

27. first time lawng time says:

One of the most annoying songs of 2010 and proof that ANYONE

28. first time lawng time says:

One of the most annoying songs of 2010 and proof that ANYONE can get a record deal as long as you have connections:

29. Steve H says:

I think we could put a team together of 53 RAB commenters and win the NFC West.

30. Mike R says:

Anyone who forgets how good Derek Jeter is and how valuable he is to the Yankees please watch this video… http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com.....8;c_id=mlb

I love the Captain so much.

• Cecala says:

Mantle was good and valuable for the Yankees too, but you don’t see people saying hes going to get a 20mil contract. There is no hate on Jeter, the issue is hes asking for the moon and hes a declining player. The point to be made is that contracts should not be entirely based on past accomplishments.

• macxz says:

how are u sure that he is asking a lot of money? coz of the media? u know the media wants to just write a story for the sake of having one.

only derek, and his agent and cashman knows what’s real.

declining? he had only 1 take note 1 BAD year and you already says that he is is declining? the guy averages .300+ every year.

i dont know why a lot of yankees fans easily give up on jeter and also some of them dont think he deserves the gold glove (apparently the managers thinks he is a gold glove ss) maybe to those who think they are more experts than the managers how come your not managing a team and your not a pro baseball player??? hmmm….

• JGS says:

I don’t get the craziness surrounding the FLIES INTO THE STANDS catch. #6 on that Prime 9 was both a much better play, and in a much more important spot, but it never gets any love.

• Kit says:

The flying into the stands game was insane. I think it went back and forth for a really long time in terms of the score. I think it’s more memorable because it was against the Red Sox and it was such a long game and a risky move (showed some serious GRIT), but I agree with you. #6 was definitely a more crucial moment.

• NYY626 says:

#6 was more crucial, but there was no blood. And yeah the red sox game was epic

• JGS says:

It was an epic game, but it was not even the All Star break yet, and after they won, they had an 8.5 game lead in the division.

It’s a very good play, but the other one never gets any airtime, probably due to the lack of blood.

• Kiersten says:

6 was also overshadowed by The Flip™.

• Kiersten says:

MVP of the ASG is number 3??? Seriously?!

Also, Nobody Beats The Wiz. Well, except Best Buy, Circuit City, J&R, etc.

31. Kit says:

Did anybody else watch the Yankees Classic episode of David Cone’s perfect game? I watched it with my brother earlier and he went on about how amazing it was to watch it as it happened. He was really nostalgic and I thought it must’ve been awesome to see it. I was too young so I don’t remember it at all, but did anyone else get to experience it in person/on TV as it happened?

• First time lawng time says:

I watched it an I’m in the same boat you are. I didn’t see it in person (too young) but I wish I could have. I really hope a Yankee throws a perfecto or no no in 2011.

• Kit says:

Yeah. My brother was just talking about it like it was just this absolutely incredible moment, and I know he’s not usually that excited about perfect games since we watched Roy Halladay’s and he didn’t react as strongly, so I thought it has to be really emotional when it’s your team that has that amazing moment.

• First time lawng time says:

Yeahi really hope I get to witness one in te near future.

• bexarama says:

I remember pacing back and forth during Andy’s perfect game through, what, like, 6.2 last year? that got broken up by that JHJ error. I threw a tissue at my TV screen and screamed when that happened, but in reality it was kind of, I dunno, a relief, because that was kinda torture.

• Kit says:

I totally missed that, CC and Phil’s no-no’s because of school but one of my friends texted me sad faces when they were broken up. Lots of sadness.

• candyforstalin says:

that’s why i don’t like perfect games and no-hitters. too much adrenaline for just too long.

• Mattchu12 says:

I was in Texas when Phil Hughes hurt himself mid-no-hitter.

That was an experience unlike any game for me, and I’ve been to a lot of games. When Posada flipped his mitt to the dugout, it was like missing Christmas. Every Yankee Fan in the Stadium was just in shock, we all knew he would’ve done it if he stayed in.

I especially remember him making Teixeira look just stupid with this wicked change-up. Oh, Hughesie was looking damn good that night. He woulda done it.

32. Jimmy McNulty says:

Pittsburgh D, feel free to pick of Brady anytime now.

33. So I just favorited the NCTE and CTSDE standards for English/Language Arts. I’m so fuckin’ cool.

34. Chuck says:

You could high-five God, but he does not exist.

35. Avi says:

Trade for Uggla and put Robbie Cano at SS.
    BOOM

• Mattchu12 says:

Still not against a four or five year deal with Jeter if he agrees to swap positions with Cano after the second or third year of the deal, you know, like in writing.

Firm believer that Cano can play shortstop as well as Cap did in his prime.

36. Avi says:

How is Uggla defensively?
    Is he as bad as Jeter is at SS?

• Mattchu12 says:

I remember watching him during the All-Star game a while back, and thinking he doesn’t belong anywhere near a fielder’s mitt. He’s freaking bad.

He’d make Jeter look like Troy Tulowitzki or Elvis Andrus, only better.

37. pat says:

Stupid effing Brady throwws three TD’s to Gronkowski but none to Hernandez GRRRRRRR

• Reggie C. says:

Pretty amazingly frustrating right?

brady’s thrown for 350 yards. hernandez … ZERO yards. That’s the black hole on my fantasy squad this weekend. At the very least i was smart enough to pick up Mike Thomas on Saturday and start him today. Dude game 20 pts out the flex spot.

• pat says:

Hahah Thomas is the luckiest SOB on the planet after that catch today. I’ve been killed by garbage time today. First Bowe and now Roethlisburger are just pouring it on. I effing hate FF sometimes.

• Reggie C. says:

True true. On any other Sunday, Thomas finishes the day with 1 TD and that second TD ends up on the ground or an interception. I lucked out. With Mike Wallace’s garbage 2nd TD, my fantasy team did pretty damn well today even if Hernandez finishes with a donut.

Barely takes any sting out of the GMen loss though. Damn. I saw that coming for days. The frigging arrogance shown by analysts and fans was pretty blatant.

38. Reggie C. says:

Big fantasy weekend football wise.

Actual weekend… not so much. Damn head cold.