Nov

Pettitte: ‘It would be one more year and that would be it’

Via KHOU.com, Andy Pettitte indicated that if he does in fact come back and play in 2011, that it would be his final season. “I’m just going to wait and see what my heart wants me to do,” said the lefty. “Right now, I can tell you my heart’s right here in Deer Park.  If something happens and I play one more year that would be it. It would be one more year and that would be it.”

I can’t imagine there’s anything left that Andy wants to accomplish after the career he’s had, so hopefully he comes back for next season and if nothing else, gets a proper send off. While I would understand if he wanted to call it quits now, we all want him back for selfish reasons. Hopefully he does.

Categories : Asides

1. Kevin says:

Would it be more tempting for Andy if we signed cliff lee? Better chance for a ring?

2. The Evil Empire says:

If andy doesn’t come back but we acquire Lee how good is our rotation?

CC Lee Hughes AJ *5th starter

I’d say maybe the 4th best in baseball behind Philadelphia, St. Louis and San Francisco/

3. KDB says:

Hey Andy! If you really can’t make up your mind, how about Pedro
    Martinez half season deal. Better odds of staying healthy for the duration, and a healthy Andy in post season would be a fine send off.

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

I loathe half year deals. I would hope the Yankees go into the season with a solid idea who their starting 5 are going to be. Hal year deals are fine if someone gets injured.

JMHO

4. Zack says:

I believe he walks away from 10-12m when I see it. As long as he’s still productive and free of any (major) injury, he’ll be back.

5. OldYanksFan says:

If we don’t get Lee, there has been some talk about Jorge de la Rosa, who has shown a lot of improvement over the last 3 years. However, while talented, he comes with a lot of red flags.

In reading a blog post about him, the author offered an interesting alternative.

Someone who is also a talented underachiever.
    Someone, who compared Jorge de la Rosa:
    … has a far, far better career ERA+
    … has better BB/9 numbers
    … has better SO/9 numbers
    … has better HR/9 numbers
    … has a better career WHIP
    … who is young and has only pitched in the AL
    … who is cheap and available.

Really! Wow. I’m excited! So…. who is this guy?
    Ummm… someone with a funny name.
    Ummm… Moby Something….
    No no….
    Ummm….
    Jobie something…. ?
    Ummm…
    Joba something?

6. OldYanksFan says:

Frankly, If we DO get Lee, Andy may be more tempted to walk.
    Yes, he would like another ring, but Andy is a very loyal guy.
    Without Lee, I think the fact that the Yankees REALLY NEED Andy will effect (affect?)his decision. I don’t think he will want to let his teammates down.

7. I Am Not The Droids You're Looking For says:

Nah he has to come back for the grand send off.

ANdy PETTitte clap clap clapclapclap.

Man imagine the outpouring if he announces definitively that it’s his last go round. Not Favre style but for real.

Brings a tear just thinking about it.

Please come back Andy.

• Xstar7 says:

Andy deserves to go out Paul O’neill style.

• MikeD says:

True. The way he’s been going year-to-year, we just don’t know when he’s going to call it quits, and in fact most of us are assuming he’s coming back. Hopefully he signs for one more year and tells the fans up front that this will be his final year so we can give him a proper send off.

• Colin says:

It’d be awesome if he won the clinching game in the World Series and everyone knew he was retiring.

• Bill R says:

You could tell in his last start in the playoffs at yankee stadium that the fans were trying to get the andy chant started and it just wasn’t picking up to the paul o’neill level.

8. Hughesus Christo says:

We all love Pettitte, but I kind of want these “Will he/won’t he” offseasons to end. Ride off into the sunset, buddy.

• Accent Shallow says:

Yeah. He’s like the Favre of baseball — except with the insane lovefest from the press, or the naked text pics.

• bexarama says:

I get this comparison but it’s not like Andy fake-retires only to sign with another team and screw over the Yankees. And yes, no dick shots. That we know of. :X

• Matt Montero says:

I wouldnt say that. He says he doesnt know if he’s gonna play. He’s thinking it over with his family… He never said he’s coming back or retiring. It’s a tough decision and like any person, it’s a tough decision to make between spending time watching ur kids grow up and taking millions of dollars to play the game u love. Most people would say they would no doubt take the money, but Im sure he’s got plenty.

• MikeD says:

There is no comparison to Favre. He’s never retired and is direct on his thinking.

9. bonestock94 says:

Sounds like he’s coming back one more time, which is what we expect. To me his comments sound like, “I’m really enjoying the offseason with my family down here, but I’d like to play one more year.”

• MikeD says:

I don’t know. I read it to mean he might be leaning to retirement. “Right now, my heart is here in Deer Park.”

• bonestock94 says:

Yea, the things changed me from having your opinion to mine is “right now” and the mere mention of 1 more year. I’m no psychiatrist though.

10. nsalem says:

I doubt Andy is retiring. Like every other great MLB pitcher with that many wins he will either retire by injury or shown the door due to poor performance. The only exceptions over the last 130 years have been Mussina and Al Spaulding. Mussina is of a different mind set than most great athletes and Spaulding quit to sell baseball gloves (last time I checked his company was still in business. Look at the end of career stats of any great pitcher and you will see that nobody just walks away on top. Most leave kicking and screaming still in denial their skills have diminished. I’m sure Andy believes what he is saying, but that doesn’t make it true. If his heart was really in Deer Park he would have retired already. I find it hard to believe that people put much credence in his annual proclamations.
    See you in February Andrew Eugene.

11. bexarama says:

(cries)

(But, yeah, I don’t know how everyone interpreted his comments as “he’s leaning toward retirement.” It sounded like he was saying he was enjoying his time with his family with the Deer Park comments. Or maybe this is me with the wishful thinking. ;______; )

12. BigBBFan says:

Sure hope Andy is coming back, but no one is talking about a bigger hole to fill than starting pitching….the bullpen. The best setup man is not returning and the bullpen failed at year end. Who is going to set up Mo in 2011? Anyone who believes Joba can needs to look at his outings in 2010 again.

• whozat says:

Anybody who thinks the bullpen is a bigger hole than two openings in the rotation and a third filled by AJ needs to look at 2004-2009 again.

13. kosmo says:

It always cracks me up that a 38 yr old multi-millionaire many times over wants to be with his family.
    When Pettitte finally retires he´ll have a shit load of money and plenty of free time to spend with his family unlike many of us who have to work until we´re 62 or later.
    The coddled athlete who gets to make a decision at the age of 38 whether or not to retire.The luxury of it ! LOL

• nsalem says:

Plus they have almost four full months to be around their kids 24/7
      as opposed to middle class families with two parents working 40 to 50 hour weeks, 50 weeks a year.

• whozat says:

I don’t think that spending time with your children is something you can store up, and it’s not like they grow up a second time. He’ll have all the time and money in the world in a few years…to go visit his kids when they’re in college.

14. MikeD says:

I’m just going to wait and see what my heart wants me to do,” said the lefty. “Right now, I can tell you my heart’s right here in Deer Park. If something happens and I play one more year that would be it. It would be one more year and that would be it.”
    ————–

Seems very clear to me he’s leaning toward retirement this year. He says he’s going to see what his heart wants him to do, and right now his “heart is in Deer Park.” Anything unclear about that part? Worse, he adds the words “if something happens and I play one more year.” Ummm, that seems to read he’d have to change his mind, and that something will have to happen, for him to play. And if that does happen, it will be only be for one year.

Could be reading too much into that, but that sure seems like a man leaning toward retirement. Put me in the camp known as Concerned.

• Betty Lizard says:

Don’t panic yet, bex. It’s too soon.

While Andy’s heart is currently in Deer Park, remember that Mr. Pettitte has made it clear (endearingly so) that his actions revolve around God, his wife Laura, and his concept of himself as a Man and in his value system part of being a Man is providing for his family and stepping up and going to work. A Man does his job and works hard and Andy has said that pitching is the only job he’s done as an adult and he misses it when he’s injured and his self-esteem suffers accordingly.

Andy probably SHOULD retire this year but I’m betting that the sense of “be a Man” and go out there and pitch one more FULL season (and incidentally provide a boatload of $ for his family) will pull him back and forth (again) with his decision.

Also, do not discount the power of eye-rolling teens to be the tipping point toward going back to work.

It’s going to be close, but I think one more season will win out. I surely hope so, although, compulsive achiever that I am, I decided to assume that 2009 was his last season and I did all my sobbing and slobbering at his departure at the end of that season.

• Chuck says:

“Mr. Pettitte has made it clear (endearingly so) that his actions revolve around God, his wife Laura, and his concept of himself as a Man…”

Reasons why Pettitte will be back:
          1) God does not exist.
          2) My wife would want me to play and bring in that $15million check!
          3) He has already proven to us that he is a man.

• Donna says:

Just because Andy takes him time to discuss things with his family that affects them doesn’t mean he is being a Clemens or a Favre. His family is more important to him than money.

To Chuck: I am sorry that you don’t believe in God. I will keep you in my prayers that you wake up in tine to save your soul.

15. FachoinaNYY says:

I took sometime off following the alcs… Can someone clue me into this whole mystery pitcher thing?

16. Jimmy McNulty says:

Dude he’ll come back, he wouldn’t bring up “one more year” unless he wanted to stay for a while. Ten wins away from 250, I think he’ll come back to get that…maybe pad his stats for his HoF resume.

• MikeD says:

If Andy’s goal is to make the HOF, he would not be looking to retire at all in the near term. I’m convinced that Pettitte could be a HOFer, but he’s going to have to get there through the “cumulative statistics” route, which means 300 career wins. It’s possible he could pull up short at 280, and then we can add in his 20+ career postseason wins (I know, he’s at 19 now, but if he decides to pitch a few more years, he’ll crack through 20+ easily), which will probably push him into the HOF. If so, he will have to come to grips with pitching another four seasons until he’s 42.