Nov

Saturday Night Open Thread

(AP Photo/M. Spencer Green)

I don’t know about you folks, but I killed off the last of my Thanksgiving leftovers for lunch earlier, and I’m sad. Thankfully, the Yanks made me feel better by signing one of my favorite prospects from back in the day, lefty Andy Sisco. That’s a picture of him throwing with the White Sox in Spring Training a few years ago. I’m a sucker for tall, hard-throwing lefties, and Sisco (6-foot-10) fits the bill. It was a match made in prospect heaven.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The Devils already beat the Flyers and the Knicks already lost to the Hawks, but the Rangers are in Nashville and the Nets are in Philly. Plus there’s a zillion college football games on as well. Talk about whatever you like on this chilly Saturday evening, have a blast.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Drewnasty98 says:

Go Gamecocks!

2. Steve H says:

The Yankees have more depth on the front line than the Miami Heat.

3. How hard does Sisco throw? 95-97? He’s a bit old, but if he can ever harness his control after TJS then the Yankees might have a little (oops… big) something here.

4. Does anyone have some awesome leftover thanksgiving turkey recipes? I still have a bit left, and if I have to eat another ‘turkey, cheese, lettuce, pickle, tomato w/ mayo sandwich’ I just might die, I need something exciting.

5. Avi says:

LOVE the Cisco signing. He’s still young, only three years older than Brackman. He was a hot commodity in the ’01 draft and had an effective season in ’05 despite the astronomical walk rate. If he learns to throw strikes consistently he won’t be the first extremely large lefty to do so in his upper 20′s
    Take enough quality gambles like this one and you’re bound to hit the jackpot.

6. Jimmy McNulty says:

Old piece (day old) but pretty solid. I dunno about you guys but I don’t mind Stark, he’s not the brightest guy in the world, but he uses stats in all of his article and at least seems to try to be smart.

The thing that gets me is I don’t see why everyone has Adrian Gonzalez going to Boston…yeah they have the pieces and the need, but moving an old first basemen who has been injured up the defensive spectrum doesn’t make much sense. There’s also rumors of Boston trading Ellsbury and Papelbon. They need to do something because if New York gets Cliff Lee and brings back Pettitte, Mo, and Jeter Boston might not even be the WC favorite.

• Avi says:

They’re in desperate need for power with V-mart signing in Detroit and Beltre being a free agent. They also need a lot of help in the pen.
      I’ve seen read that they’re the favorites to get Werth.
      Where are they planning on playing him? They have Elsbury, Cameron and Drew all under contract for next year.

• bexarama says:

Presumably they’ll try to trade Ellsbury. They’re selling low but he’s probably a good bet to rebound to at least 2009 levels (maybe he’ll slow down a little, fewer SBs) if healthy, and he’s probably done with Boston. The smear campaign is already well underway, I think. I don’t know if he’d be good for a trade with San Diego for Gonzalez though, I mean how many speedy, low power OFs do they have already?

• Steve H says:

Ellsbury is about to get expensive too. Padres don’t want him.

Also, fun fact, Gonzalez is only about a year and a half older than Ellsbury.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well they won’t trade Ellsbury as part of the Gonzo package. Keith Law says that he wouldn’t trade Kelly straight up for Gonzo, which is fucking retarded, but I can’t imagine that SD would deal him without getting an impact player. If Seattle can get Montero or Smoak for three months of Cliff Lee SD should be able to get at least Casey Kelly or Clay Buchholz for one year of Gonzo.

• Gonzo says:

KLaw is high on Kelly. Therefore, I can see why he wouldn’t trade him for one year of Gonzo. If Kelly can be a #3-4 starter at league minumum for 3 years, that’s a lot of value to give up for one year in a trade.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

People were willing to give Jesus and David Adams for hald a year of Cliff Lee.

Not the same scenario but a lot of the media outlets thought the Yankees missed out.

• Gonzo says:

Yeah, I think Cliff Lee and AGonz were different items. Cliff Lee turned the Rangers into WS contenders. I am not sure you could say that of AGonz.

• Steve H says:

They have Elsbury, Cameron and Drew all under contract for next year.

With those three guys I think they need 2 more OF’s. Not any Cal Ripken’s among those 3.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, I dunno who they’ll get to fix the OF. Unless they want to deal Dourbont, Kelly, Rizzo, Kalish, and maybe Buchholz for Upton they might end up out in the cold this year for the OF.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I read on MLBTR that Ellsbury is falling out of favor in Boston and they’ll probably trade him and Papelbon before they get too expensive. I’ve also seen Detroit in on Werth and LAA in on Beltre. If they lose V-Mart and Beltre that’s basically losing 8 wins from the 2010 squad, I know Pedroia and Youkilis were hurt but still…that’s a huge blow. They’ll need to add another impact player somehow if they want to compete.

• bexarama says:

I read on MLBTR that Ellsbury is falling out of favor in Boston

No offense, but you needed MLBTR to tell you that? ;P

• Gonzo says:

They are a year too late for Papelbum. At $10mm+, he is already way too expensive for 2011.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He’s home grown and allegedly plays good defense, I figured he’d be at least assured a starting job until he hits free agency. Oh I recall when Red Sox fans yelled at me when I said that he’d be lucky to approach Damon’s career average at his peak.

• Steve H says:

I’ve been shouting this from the rooftops for as long as the Gonzalez to the Sox rumors have been around. It makes zero sense to move Youk, who’s older then Tex and can’t stay healthy at 1B to 3B. His body type has seen a major change in the past 5 years and he wasn’t very athletic to begin with. As much as I don’t want the Sox to get Gonzalez I do want to see them try to move Youk back to 3rd, I just don’t see it working out.

As far as Stark goes, I used to read him but stopped after “an anonymous scout” said that the Yankees have two young front line catchers, Romine and Cervelli. If someone really said that to him, he should have never printed it and never gone to that guy for info again. Even the biggest Montero basher can see the absolute insanity in that comment. I seriously haven’t read him since.

7. bexarama says:

I have no turkey left, but I still have tons of mushroom-sausage stuffing and bacon-gorgonzola mashed potatoes (I’m not a bacon fan at all, but OMG SO GOOOOOD). Jealous?

8. Peter G. says:

I broadcast winter baseball for Aguilas de Mexicali and SIsco is pitching for them currently, he has some power stuff but hard to imagine it translating to even minor success in the MLB

9. Gonzo says:

I just saw that Jeter and Manny have the same fWAR career-high of 7.5 in 1999. I would have thought Manny broke 8.0 a couple of times.

• bexarama says:

Manny’s always gonna get really, really, really hurt by his incredibly poor defense.

In other news, holy shit Derek Jeter’s fielding rating in 2000 O_O 2007 aside, per FG, he’s actually been a better fielder these past few years (yes, 2010 included) than he was in like 1998-2001. Eep.

• Gonzo says:

In 1999, Manny’s career-high for fWAR, he was actually a positive in the field. His defensive slide really went into full blown crap mode in 2004. He was actually not holy crap bad, except for a couple of years, before that. I am surprised.

• bexarama says:

Huh. Well, I have thought that bWAR tends to hurt 1B and RF/LF in terms of positional adjustment a little too much. Maybe fWAR is the same.

Also, note his 2000 numbers – .476 wOBA, 185 wRC+ (!!!!!!), and then a -18 for fielding. Yikes. His WAR that year, even with those crazy offensive numbers, was “only” 4.9.

10. Kiersten says:

There’s a rumor Randy Shannon will be fired by Tuesday. Wooooo! Although now if it doesn’t happen I’m going to be very disappointed.

Now that the regular season is over, is it opening day yet?

11. bexarama says:

MLBN has some really awesome top 40/50 countdowns planned for December and such. Best teams ever, best games of the 2000s… as much as I complain about the dumbness of shows like Hot Stove I really do like MLBN for stuff like that.

12. larryf says:

I thought Boston was looking to sign Crawford if Ellsbury left (or even if he didn’t). I wish we were but I know nobody else around here does.

13. Teh Comp Pick says:

I have two nba teams, the knicks, and whoever the heat are playing on a given night.

14. Gonzo says:

I feel like crap.

15. Kiersten says:

No one here cares, but RANDY SHANNON HAS BEEN FIRED!

*throws dance party*

16. Not Tank the Frank says:

Probably the… no definitely the dumbest comment I’ve ever read.

I could not agree with you more. The lets hug and feel good about ourselves generation just voted a 13-12 pitcher the CY Young award. These new “stats” WAR etc. mean nothing to me. It is all about wins and losses.

What people do not realize is winning baseball teams have chemistry and for years Jeter was a big part of the Yankee machine. Since 2001 the Yankees have tried to buy themselves a championship and it just isn’t going to work on a year in and year out basis. Sure they won in 2009 but I am sure it is not the close knit team the Tino, Brosius, Bernie teams were when they were going good. This is largely because they have ARod who may be the most narcistic ballplayer around. Keeping Jeter around will help from it becoming ARods locker room and if that happens who knows how things will turn out.

I personally can’t stand the Yankees and their outspend everyone mentality but this is not where they should be drawing a line in the sand. The core 4 should be taken care of.

Every time I go to ESPN (especially Nyer’s articles) and read the comments I regret it. I don’t know why I keep going back. I think I’ve learned my lesson.

17. Jonathan says:

I’ve seen him pitch NUMEROUS times in KC. Ungodly stuff. Subpar command and at least in his time in KC, scared to death on the mound. Of course he had little experience then and was generally being brought in to face the best lefty of an AL team. I hope he has gained some more experience and command but could still be a decent 2nd lefty on a team like ours if everything breaks right.