Dec

CC: Not opting out ‘an easy decision’

So check it out. CC Sabathia hit up Madison Square Garden last night to catch the Knicks down the Raptors, and he wound up on the Boost Mobile Celebrity Row video segment of MSG’s broadcast. The first question Jill Marting asked was about the opt out. “Big news for you,” she said. “You decided not to opt out of your contract. Tell us why?”

CC responded: “I signed up for seven years, and it’s a good organization. We have a chance to win a championship every year. I think that was an easy decision.”

At face value, I’m inclined to believe Sabathia. He hasn’t said that he intends not to opt out; he seems to be saying that he flat-out isn’t opting out. If he is true to his word, CC would become the first big-name player to receive an opt-out and not exercise it. J.D. Drew, A.J. Burnett and Alex Rodriguez all cashed in their opt-out clauses, and if Cliff Lee is on the verge of a seven-year deal, CC would be sacrificing money and long-term job security if he foregoes the opt-out. It’s still unclear, as Joe said yesterday, if CC is truly saying much of anything.

Later on during the interview, CC said he’s not going to Nick Swisher‘s wedding to Joanna Garcia this weekend because he can’t get a babysitter to watch his four kids. His mother, he said, wouldn’t fly out to do it. So take that at face value too. The opt-out doesn’t come due until the end of the 2011 season, and I’d be shocked if CC doesn’t use to get more years, more money or both from the Yanks.

A hat tip to @StadiumInsider on Twitter for tracking down this video clip.

Categories : Players

1. The Fallen Phoenix says:

Jorge Posada didn’t opt out of his last contract, too. Quietest non-opt out ever.

2. Tucker says:

Damn who wouldn’t babysit for CC?

3. bexarama says:

I love CC, I think he’s a great guy and I won’t blame him no matter what he does, but I’ll believe it when I see it, no matter how many times he says this.

4. Let’s just hope he opts out of that beard right quick.

5. Hughesus Christo says:

Sending a message to his buddy Cliff?

• mbonzo says:

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe he thought if he stays with the deal he can show Lee how awesome NY is and that he’ll be here to play long term with his buddy.

6. JGS says:

Well, he would be the second. Vernon Wells will announce that he isn’t opting out 25 seconds after the final out of the season is recorded.

that said, I totally agree with “The opt-out doesn’t come due until the end of the 2011 season, and I’d be shocked if CC doesn’t use to get more years, more money or both from the Yanks.”

After all, http://www.itsaboutthemoney.ne.....anner1.jpg

• There’s a big difference between Vernon Wells and CC Sabathia though. One of those players isn’t very good. The other will be a 31-year-old lefty when his opt-out comes due.

• JGS says:

Of course, I was just pointing out that there is another big contract (if not big name player) with an optout who will not be using it. Also, kudos to Fallen Phoenix above–I had no clue Posada’s last contract had a post-2004 optout.

• mbonzo says:

Do you think Cashman might be working out an extension with CC privately to avoid an optout and help convince Lee to come to NY?

7. Adam says:

The way I look at it is this: Alex, when he was asked about his opt out clause, would go with the standard, I’m not worried about that right now, I’m focused on winning a World Championship. I’ll worry about that after the season answer. CC could easily sidestep these questions and give just as much of a generic answer as A-Rod did, but he’s given an honest answer every time he’s been asked now.

Anything can obviously happen between now and the end of next year, but I really do believe the guy when he says he’s not opting out.

8. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

according to incarceratedbob. CC Sabathia made contact with Cliff Lee 2night & is trying to persuade Lee’s wife to come to NY

9. pat says:

Lulz, CC will be younger than Lee is now when his opt out opportunity comes around. Love and respect the big man for staying true, but he’s literally costing himself up to 50 or 60 million dollars by staying in the contract.

10. steve (different one) says:

How many times does he have to say it before we just believe him?

11. LunaticFringe says:

Im hoping things go well enough for CC this year that I’m concerned about, rather than hoping for, him exercising his opt out.

12. JimO says:

Yanks roster is looking fat and happy instead of lean and hungry…

13. Steve H says:

I wonder if the Yankees just quietly approach him about an extension. They can add a few years without him opting out and they both get what they want. Don’t have to re-up CC for 7 more, but he gets a few extra years at $23 mil.

• ROBTEN says:

I was just going to post something like this.

For all we know, CC and the Yankees have always had a handshake agreement that if they ever signed another pitcher for a higher AV than CC’s contract or even if there was ever a chance that another pitcher would make a significant amount over the AV of CC’s contract that they would simply extend him and thus make up the difference.

So, no opt-out, but an automatic extension that is essentially the equivalent of opting out.

• mbonzo says:

Yea, I brought this up before, the timing would make total sense since Lee might want to make sure CC stays in NY if he signs here.

• Will says:

It would probably technically violate their rule about not negotiating with current players til their contracts expire, but unless he lays a total stink-bomb in ’11, I could definitely see them simply extending him at a higher annual value, and him taking maybe a little less than he’d get on the open market if he truly wants to stay in NY, which I believe he does.

Let’s just avoid all that annoying puffed-out-chest negotiating tactics like with A-Rod’s opt-out…

14. JerseyDutch says:

Not only a great athlete but one of the best human beings ever.

(But dude, lose the whiskers. Seriously.)

15. Total Dominication says:

This reporter seems shocked at all his answers.

16. Steve H says:

His agent will probably “go behind his back” and file the opt-out papers.

17. Anthony Murillo says:

I think C.C. should show up to your house, sit you down, and say “I am not opting out” and you write a post on here talking about how C.C. is bullshitting us because no big name player has opted out of their contract.

Oy.

18. Avi says:

I believe CC and I give him all the credit in the world for not being “greedy” like everyone else. If you’re a Yankee fan how do you not love this guy?

19. Ross (NYYSI) says:

Thanks for the shout!

20. ledavidisrael says:

Its irresponsible not to go out there and get more money. You only live once.
    What if lil CC is a genius who ends up needing that extra 40 or 50 million to create his world altering contributions to society. How will old CC feel?
    Those (possible) rings and all the good press will feel like nothing. #imjustsaying #don’tbeatmeforbeingacapitalist

21. bonestock94 says:

Looking forward to this storyline ruining the 2011-12 hotstove league for me. Hopefully ring #28 will stop me from caring.

22. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

OH MY GOD THIS IS GREAT NEWS, I REALLY THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO OPT OUT. Phew.

23. Ellis says:

Videos of player interviews embedded in RAB articles = awesome. More of that in the future, please! It’s always great to get more of a feeling of the players’ personalities.