Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- In the bombshell of the winter, Cliff Lee spurned the Yankees (and Rangers) and signed with the Phillies. Brian Cashman said the team will now be patient in its search of pitching, but a potential Plan B came off the board when the Brewers swung a trade for Zack Greinke.
- With money to spend, the Yankees signed catcher Russell Martin and agreed to terms with lefty reliever Pedro Feliciano. They also have interest in bench players like Jeff Keppinger and Jerry Hairston Jr., but not Rafael Soriano. They asked to see Freddy Garcia‘s medical records as well.
- The Yankees are “cautiously optimistic” that Andy Pettitte will return for another year, but Mariano Rivera is going to help out by giving Andy a call anyway.
- Injury Zone: Martin needed minor knee surgery and will be ready in plenty of time for Spring Training. Eduardo Nunez fouled a ball off his face in winter ball, but there is no fracture.
- The Yanks claimed outfielder Jordan Parraz off waivers, and signed both Luiz Vizcaino and Mark Prior to minor league deals. Prior and six others were invited to Spring Training.
- In the former Yankee department, Kerry Wood took a sweetheart deal to return to the Cubs and Hideki Matsui joined the Athletics. Randy Choate signed with the Marlins.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)