Dec

Food For Thought: Darryl Strawberry

What coulda been, eh?

Straw is still my all-time favorite player. I grew up one of two Yankee fans (along with my grandfather) in a family full of Mets fans, and I couldn’t not love Strawberry when he was in his heyday in the 80′s. When he caught on with the Yanks in the ’90′s, I couldn’t have been more excited. I was so young and I didn’t fully understand the power of addiction, and I remember always wondering why he didn’t just stop doing drugs and play baseball all time. It’s too bad things ended up the way they did, he could have been an all-time great.

(related graphs)

Categories : Players

1. JCK says:

I grew up in a Yankees house, but my older brother was a Mets fan. I loved Straw – I was so happy when he caught on with the Yanks later in his career.

2. Xstar7 says:

Darryl was probably the greatest Mets player ever not named Tom Seaver. But that’s not saying much.

• RuleroftheBones86 says:

Mr. Pizza would probably argue that opinion, X. He’s definitely in the top five, but you gotta take a broad spectrum of aspects before you judge such an important category as G.O.A.T. Of course with the Mets that research takes about one lunch break at school.

3. Teh Comp Pick says:

I coulda sworn Mo was your favorite player.

4. Billy Jack says:

That day-night doubleheader in Camden Yards was awesome to watch with a bunch of Oriole fans:)

5. jim p says:

Straw, based on the Manny comparison, obviously chose the wrong drug to take.

Straw’s awesome time with us, reminds me that we had people like him and Tim Raines on our bench. Don’t think we’ve come near that quality since.

• whozat says:

by “quality”, do you mean “caliber of name recognition”? they were shadows of their former selves when they rode the pine for the Yanks. Much like Lance Berkman.

• jim p says:

You misremember. They were still awesome and clutch performers, though not at previous levels. For the one Berkman you’ve got Pena and Thames and the like.

6. Yyz says:

If only Strawberry took did roids instead of drugs.

7. oldman says:

i’m sorry but i cant support a druggie

• whozat says:

Apparently you don’t understand addiction either.

If you said that about Doc Gooden, I could understand, maybe. He’s still using. But Straw seems to have cleaned up his life from what I can tell.

8. YankeeScribe says:

I grew up in Queens a Mets fan in the 80s and Strawberry was my favorite player.

Around the 92′ or 93′ season I gave up on the Mets and began rooting for the Yanks.

Its a shame how Doc Gooden and Straw wasted so much of their potential…

9. Mike R says:

You’re also completely avoiding the fact that Manny Ramirez most likely used steroids which is why his numbers continued to rise into his late thirties.. Darryl Strawberrys drug of choice wasnt PED’s but rather Cocaine.. I’ll give him more credit.

10. Regis says:

Straw had my favorite swing of all-time.

11. Matt says:

Also, Manny is a BEAST

12. I grew up one of two Yankee fans (along with my grandfather) in a family full of Mets fans

We have a LOT in common.