Dec

It’s official: Javy’s a Marlin

Two-time former Yankee Javy Vazquez passed his physical with the Marlins and the team officially announced his signing at a press conference this morning. As a result, the Yankees now have an extra draft pick, a supplemental first rounder that at this point can be no worse than 55th overall (53rd once Jorge De La Rosa’s deal with the Rockies is finalized). More than likely it’ll be in the 45-50 range, which isn’t bad at all. Remember to check out our 2011 Draft Order Tracker, I update it after every deal becomes official.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

sandwich pick!

2. Mike HC says:

Why won’t I be surprised when Javy is able to pitch well for yet another non Yankee team, especially in the AL.

3. jsbrendog (returns) says:

javy: we hardly knew ye

4. Fair Weather Freddy says:

Any chance Gerrit Cole falls that far? J/K Anyways, even if he did fall, no way he gets past the Red Sox at 19

• pat says:

Well they probably won’t have that pick anyway, but a healthy college guy with his raw ability would be very very hard pressed to even make it out of the top 10. He’s a top 5 guy no doubt.

• pat says:

OOps, I forgot they got thew Tigers pic, my bad. Cole won’t fall that far anyway.

• Mister Delaware says:

I’m excited for 2014 when I have to listen to what a dipshit Cashman is for not getting him signed.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

They offered Marte 12M, you’re telling me they couldn’t sign Gerritt Cole? I know it doesn’t make sense, but you know what else? Fuck you.

I’m still pissed off about that whole deal, I hope he takes a liner to the dome.

• jay destro says:

your gerrit cole not being signed comment lends me the notion that you know nothing about baseball and i will forever laugh at every comment you leave on rab.

thanks for the heads up

<3 jay destro

• Clay Bellinger says:

Ridiculous comment. Be as mad as you want to. The Cole failed signing wasn’t Cashman’s fault.

It frustrating as hell, but obviously the kid made the right decision at this point.

• Tom Zig says:

This is sarcasm right?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Here’s to hoping the Tigers sign Jayson Werth!

5. Klemy says:

Glad we got something for him and I wish him luck. I still don’t anticipate much of a bounce back from him, but stranger things have happened.

6. jay destro says:

btw jimmy i was told you were being sarcastic so lol whatevs.

7. seimiya says:

When Javy pitches 8IP/1ER/6K/2BB against the Mets, are people going to say, “I thought he couldn’t pitch in New York!” ?

8. nck says:

Wait. Does anyone REALLY BELIEVE that The Yanks were’t to blame, at least in part, for NOT signing Gerrit Cole.

I don’t know all the rules for signing, so sorry if I propose something wrong here.

Cole fell to the Yanks because of signability…..based on $$$$$, not only on going to college. EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING i HEARD was that teams were scared that he wanted HUUUUUGE money, they were scared of his agent, and the teams knew that he “was a huge Yankee fans” all his life.

SO……this guy was a top 5 guy, some saying THE top pitcher in the draft. The Yanks get him and DON’T give him top money?? I mean the most money in the draft? With HIS agent?? NOw, he will go top 3 and get that moeny anyway.

I heard that the Yanks never even got a chance to present their offer…if thats the case, COle’s idiot agent should never hear from the Yanks again.

But, I find it impossible to believe that COle and his agent would not have signed for the highest offer in the draft. They had an opportunity to sign a player that NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE TO THEM, NEVER. And he was because of $$$$$$$$$$.