Dec

Cashman confirms that Pettitte is leaning towards retirement

Bob Klapisch drops a December bombshell. The Yankees, he says, “heard from friend of Pettitte’s that he’s [definitely] retiring.” The club received this news three weeks ago, and they are officially “still waiting on his decision.” We’ve heard numerous conflicting reports on Pettitte this winter. Just a few weeks ago, Ken Davidoff said the lefty was “leaning toward” a 2011 swan song, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Pettitte hangs it up this year. Either way, Cliff Lee stands to benefit, but don’t jump off that bridge until we hear it from the mouth of number 46 himself.

Update (3:26 p.m.): NBC Sports’ Craig Calcaterra chimes in with an opposite view. He says, “Source close to Pettitte tells me that while you never know with Pettitte, the expectation is that he’s coming back.” All we know is that we don’t know anything yet.

Update by Mike (5:40pm): Brian Cashman told reporters this afternoon that last he heard, Pettitte is leaning towards retirement. Apparently Andy first mentioned it to the GM after the season, which is the first time he’s done that.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. bexarama says:

Andy noooooo :( :( :( :( :(

(If I wasn’t too busy panicking I’d think it’s funny how we have two sources that say exactly different things. But I’m panicking and sobbing everywhere.)

2. Andrew says:

Wouldn’t be shocking news, but I am going to hold off on being bummed until it’s a little more concrete than hearing from a friend of Pettitte’s (Berkman is my guess) who probably doesn’t know for sure, and said it 3 weeks ago.

3. JGS says:

::twitter feed explodes::

4. Mark says:

Ivan Nova, here he comes…. (sad face)

5. Joey C says:

If Pettitte retires and Lee goes else where we are in trouble.Sabathia,Burnett and Hughes and a guessing game,we will finish 3rd in the division,maybe it could be worse.

6. theyankeewarrior says:

Bright side:

If Andy retires, that’s 12 more million to sign Crawford AND Lee with

7. Shaun says:

And I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of the friend of Andy Pettite that he is going to open a TexMex resturant with longtime yankee teammate and friend Derek Jeter called “Derek & Andy’s Taco Hole”

• Shaun says:

seriously let’s wait and see, if the worst happens it might be time that we give Noesi/Brackman/Betances/Nova a shot at the rotation.

8. pat says:

OO dass not good.

9. Reggie C. says:

Time to trade for Grei … (stops. BREATHES.)

If Cashman and co. have had this news for some while now, I’m sure a game plan is place to address the open rotation slot. Now is not a time for the organization to panic and trade away its best hitting prospect since DJ for an ace who may not even want to play here.

10. Nolan says:

PUT JOBA BACK IN THE ROTATION!!!!! Spend andy’s 12 million on the bullpen!

• Dirty Pena says:

Spend andy’s 12 million on the bullpen!

Um, no thanks.

• Steve H says:

PUT JOBA BACK IN THE ROTATION!!!!!

Spend andy’s 12 million on the bullpen!

Noooooooooooooooooo!

• Shaun says:

What has Joba done, to warrant a return to the rotation…not a damn thing. If he can’t be trusted to handle mop up work, he can’t be trusted to be a starter. He has proven time and time again that he is a head case, we already know what happens when we have 2 headcases in the rotation (Burnett, Javi) I’m not up to seeing a sequel.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I’d like to see it happen but there is no way they would do it

11. ROBTEN says:

CC wants to play in California…
    Teixeira hates New York…
    Lee would return to Texas for six years…
    Pettitte is going to retire…

To be honest, I think this is just another negotiating tactic than anything serious. Unless he’s helping the Yankees negotiate with Lee, there’s no reason then not to just announce your retirement if this is serious. So, I still think he signs for one more year.

[Although, I guess it would mean the sell-the-farm-for-Greinke advocates might get their wish.]

• radnom says:

Does Pettitte really need to pull this to get upside in a negotiation? If he comes back its going to be for roughly the same amount he made last year, regardless.

This is just the media running with every little rumor in the absence of any other newsworthy story in NYY baseball right now. I’d bet Pettitte hasn’t even made up his mind yet, and he deserves to get some time off to weigh it over. Coming back for another season is not a decision to make lightly.

• ROBTEN says:

True, but it could all be from the Hendricks brothers and not Andy directly. Outside of Lee there’s not a big FA market this year, the Yankees have not signed Lee (yet), and they have played hardball with the contracts of some of their veterans. Given that he’s already said that he won’t play for another team, retirement is his only leverage. It could simply be a subtle way of announcing that he’s not going to do charity work for the Yankees by returning for less (or equal to) what he made last year. I’m sure he’d still like a raise, even if it is a small one.

• Ed says:

I don’t think that’s it. Pettitte has always been way too honest about his feelings. Every year he says “Yankees or retirement”, which kills his leverage. If he wanted leverage, he’d just say he was considering other teams. Especially when the Texas rumor popped up, as that would’ve been very believable.

12. Louis says:

I take back what I said in when I posted in te other thread- it’s the end of th world if we don’t sign lee.

13. Gary says:

Well, if this is true, all the more reason to sign Lee.

14. Poopy Pants says:

I hope he doesn’t start sending pics of a small penis to a sideline reporter, then sign with the Vikings.

15. thurdonpaul says:

hey, im a lefty, ill pitch for one million :)

16. John NY says:

I’m sure he wants as much $$$ as he can get by dangling his retirement. Question is, how much do the Yanks want to give him to forget about retiring this year?

17. Monteroisdinero says:

meh-Andy is just one delivery/drag bunt away from 2 months on the DL with a groin injury. Oh, that already happened.

Crawford/Lee and one of the B’s and we’ll be fine.

18. Matt DiBari says:

I fear what the Yankee response to this will be. There’s still a lot of crappy pitching out the make a panic move with

19. Monteroisdinero says:

That “friend” has been promised 100K for his efforts by the Pettittes.

20. I sure wish they’d made that Dan Haren trade…

21. Hughesus Christo says:

RELEASE THE JOBA

22. “All we know is that we don’t know anything yet.”

Only time will tell.

(And you were thisclose to an OpIvy reference.)

23. bonestock94 says:

2 “please be fakes” in 24 hours, wow

24. theyankeewarrior says:

UPDATE (3:34 p.m.): According to Bob Kapisch, Andy Pettitte has a lot of friends. Some believe in universal health care, some don’t.

25. steve s says:

If the report is true then good for Andy. Retiring with 100+ wins over losses is the best stat he has going for him to get into the HOF.

26. ROBTEN says:

Just put Andy in a box, that way he can be retired and un-retired simultaneously.

/Schrödinger’d

27. I mentioned this on twitter, but the Klapisch rumor was clearly false, on its face. The use of the word “definite” is what killed it. If this was “definite,” three weeks ago, the Yankees would have official word by now, and so would the public. The 3 week interlude is proof enough that the decision, if any has been made, is not “definite.” Even if he’s leaning towards retirement (not saying he is, just a hypothetical), if it was definite the 3 week interlude wouldn’t have occurred. Much ado about nothing. Well… Maybe “Little” ado about nothing is more accurate, not like this is a huge story. But in any event… Nothing to get too worked up over, in my opinion.

28. All Star Carl says:

Andy Favre.

29. Big Stein says:

Trade Cano and Jesus for Casey Kelly!!

30. OldYanksFan says:

No Andy?
    So long Montero… we hardly knew ye.

31. Zack says:

I’m pretty sure I saw this article in 2009, and 2008, and 2007.

/believe it when i see it

32. Joey C says:

Can you believe we are all hoping a 40 yr old pitcher comes back,wow how bad do we need pitching.This team is getting older by the minute.What do we do next year when CC opts out oh my.

A little off the subject but i guess money is more important than the team you play with.126 million reasons to play for the Nationals,what a joke.

33. MikeD says:

The friend of Andy is actually Cliff Lee’s agent, trying to get Lee up to a $30-million-a-year average!

34. vin says:

I fully expect Andy to return… however, if he doesn’t then I think this would be the PERFECT time for Joba to return to the rotation. The reliever market is much more fruitful than the starter market.

That said, I expect Andy to be starting the first week of the season, and Joba to be pitching in the 8th.

35. YankeesJunkie says:

This latest report is putting me in shock and despair.

36. theyankeewarrior says:

If Andy goes, I’d be for signing Crawford and Lee and giving Andy’s spot to Nova rather than signing one of the available arms.

37. So, in the increasingly likely event Andy retires, who gets the fifth starter role? I really don’t wanna see Nova get 20-30 starts next season.

38. Bill R says:

Would like to congratulate the Boston Red Sox on winning the American League East…. :(

39. Big Stein says:

SIGN PAVANO IMMEDIATELY!

40. bexarama says:

Several people had talked me out of moping for a little while. I am now going back to moping.

(But doesn’t Andy say he’s leaning toward retirement every year?)

• No Maas says:

That’s what big fat slob Pete Abe just twitted: that it’s a ploy to squeeze dollars out of New York.

• Chris says:

Everyone that does this leans towards retirement right after the season, but after they rest up they start missing it and decide to come back. Maybe this is the year he actually calls it quits, but I won’t believe it until he holds a press conference at the Stadium to announce it.

41. Bill R says:

The 12 Million Andy would have gotten better be going to Carl Crawford now!

42. YankeesJunkie says:

If Pettitte is leaning towards retirement do you think that the Yankees can trade for a pitcher like Floyd?

43. PANIC says:

SIGN BRETT FAVRE!

44. Kiersten says:

Just say no to Ivan Nova.

45. I said no close to five months ago.

46. tomaconda says:

Bring back teh Javy!

47. dan says:

damnnn a lot of Joe’s responses in the chat were Francesa like. Calm down buddy, we don’t need another arrogant know it all in NY. People are allowed to have their own opinions….

48. JerseyDutch says:

I’m officially starting a petition to bring back Chad Gaudin.

Signatories: 1

• FIPster Doofus says:

What are Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small up to these days?

• MikeD says:

For heaven’s sake, will someone pick up the phone and call Whitey Ford. Sure, he’s like 80, but you know those crafty lefty types. Timeless!

And Ron Guidry. He’s a child of 60 or so. A few stretching exercises, a run or two around a track, and I bet he could still throw or 80 or so, probably harder than Jamie Moyer!

49. Lance says:

Is there any way to view the comments with the newest comments appearing first?

50. Sean C says:

I really hope Andy doesn’t retire. My last game of seeing him pitch at the Stadium was the game where he left after an inning or so that started his two month DL stint last season. Cashman needs to find a way to convince him to come back for just one more year. I’m going to refuse to listen to any rumors until I see a press conference announcing Andy’s retirement or one more season.

51. Reggie C. says:

RICKY NOLASCO.

That’d be the perfect guy to trade for in lieu of this news.

52. MikeD says:

Too much conflicting info and no direct word from the man himself.

53. SinCityYankee says:

What about signing Crawford and then packaging Gardner and Hughes (no one will want Burnett) for a top end starter? Hughes’s arbitration will be about $2.5-3 million and Gardner is at 450k not to mention being at the top of his trade value. Perhaps a lower budget team would be willing to make the deal for the ace of their rotation that they won’t be able to control under contract for much longer?

54. jramey says:

He needs a proper farewell. A five minute standing O after clinching the World Series winner should do.

Newsflash: We can’t call them the “Core Four” if Andy leaves.

55. tomaconda says:

Jimmie Key returns to the Yankees for 2 years with an option!

56. beantownbosoxh8er says:

CMW? he can handle NY , maybe not the same pitcher he was but he is a known commodity…..

• He’s not really a known commodity. He hasn’t pitched regularly since early 2008 when he wasn’t that effective in the first place. All reports indicate that his velocity has been down considerably even as he rehabs. He would be a project for any time and too great a risk to pencil him in at the Major League level.