Dec

Open Thread: Bartolo Colon

Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips. (AP Photo/Erik S. Lesser)

Via MLBTR, the Yankees have interest in Bartolo Colon according to the man himself. In an RAB exclusive, I’m here to announce that the Yankees have interest in me as well. See what I did there? I wouldn’t think twice about this rumor, just make some fat jokes, remember A-Rod‘s three homer, ten RBI game, and move on. Colon’s got about as much to offer as Pedro Martinez at this point, and that guy was toast before he even stepped on the mound in Game Six of the 2009 World Series.

Anyway, here is this evening’s open thread. The only local team in action tonight is the Knicks, who are in Orlando to face the rebuilt Magic. Chat about whatever, enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

I was kinda bored and I wanted to ~talk~ about something woot woot, so here’s MLBN’s top 15 games of 2000-2009. They listed ‘em yesterday.

15. Piazza’s HR game after 9/11
    14. Game 4 of the Marlins/Giants ALDS in 2003 which ended on that play at the plate
    13. the game with the A-Rod/Varitek fight in 2004, which ended on a walk-off HR by… Millar? Mueller? off Mo
    12. Game 2 of the 2008 ALCS
    11. that game in 2006 where the Dodgers hit 4 HR in a row to tie it in the bottom of the ninth
    10. that game where the Indians came back from being down like 14-2 in the seventh against the Mariners… the 116-win 2001 Mariners
    9. 2002 WS Game 6
    8. 2001 WS Game 4
    7. 2004 ALCS Game 4
    6. 2007 NL Wild Card tiebreaker
    5. 2004 ALCS Game 5
    4. 2009 AL Central tiebreaker
    3. 2003 ALCS Game 7
    2. 2005 Braves/Astros NLDS Game 4
    1. 2001 WS Game 7

I’ll be back with my thoughts on this list in a little bit. I know you’re all waiting with bated breath over there.

(Also, obligatory “of course the Yankees are looking at Colon. He takes up a lot of space.” joke.)

• DareBear says:

I happened to attend 2003 ALCS game 7. What a night!

• Accent Shallow says:

4. 2009 AL Central tiebreaker

Line drive! Base hit! Caught out there!

Great, great game.

• vin says:

Love number 11. I was laying in bed watching that game… just going crazy. The final 2 coming off Hoffman. What helped make it so great was that the Dodgers started the day .5 games behind the Padres… and it was September 18.

Doesn’t compare to playoff games, for obvious reasons, but it was an awesome regular season game.

• bexarama says:

They play it on MLBN and ESPN Classic sometimes. It’s gotta be one of the best regular season games ever… it’s amazing. I think it’s actually better than most of the playoff games on this list, frankly.

• bexarama says:

Okay. Woooo.

For one thing, guys, did the 2004 Red Sox do something? I don’t think they get enough attention. I’ve never heard of anything. Seriously, having Game 4 and 5 of the 2004 ALCS is really redundant. And then the A-Rod/Varitek game too. It is like they channeled their inner CHB and everything is Yankees/Red Sox.

That 2003 NLDS game was nuts. I’m glad they included it because I totally forgot about it and it was great. bb Miggy omg.

Game 2 of the 2008 ALCS sucked. There’s a difference between crazy shootouts (like the Dodger game on there, that game’s awesome) and shitshows. That was a shitshow. I guess it was fun to see TEH SOUPERACE get beat up though. I hate to say it, but Game 5 of the 2008 ALCS is criminally underrated. The Red Sox win that series and it’s one of the great comebacks of all time, probably better than the 2002 WS Game 6, as opposed to like 90% forgotten.

Both tiebreaker games they included were just amazing. They really had everything you could look for.

That #2 game… it’s a great game but it’s not better than the Aaron Boone game. I’d have that #2. Their #1 is right, as much as that sucked personally.

• vin says:

Agree with your thoughs on game 5 of 2008. The Sox were down 3 games to 1, and trailing 7-0 going into the bottom of the 7th. Of course they end up scoring 8 runs to win 8-7. Really impressive. I’m still shocked the Rays managed to close them out in game 7. I thought it was all over after the Sox won game 5.

• JerseyDutch says:

There was no baseball played in the year 2004. I’m sure of it.

• Matt DiBari says:

I still say 2004 ALCS Game 5 is the best game I’ve ever seen. Certainly not my favorite, but what can you do.

• vin says:

It’s really weird how I only remember very little about games 4-7. I watched every inning. I guess the giant ball of anxiety I had in my stomach that whole series must have traveled up to my brain and erased most of the horror.

• Tank the Frank says:

I couldn’t watch game 7 in 2004. Didn’t watch any of it. My plan was to stay in my room and play video games to keep my mind off it and pass the time as quick as possible. I knew the reactions from my roommates (who hated the Yankees) would tell me all I needed to know. Then if they lost the game I would go to the bar. Which I did.

2. Michael Mirabella says:

Bout time the Knicks get a win, people might start talking.

3. Jeff Levy says:

How about the large baseball player fantasy team. The rotation has Colon and Sabathia. Playing first base is Prince Fielder, Third base has Pablo Sandoval. Who else should be on the team?

4. Slappy White says:

Anyone else see Steve Bethuuume’s opening comments on the 7pm Sportscenter ? “Nobody wants to go to Yankee Stadium lately”

WHAT A DOUCHE

5. Pedro had a 4.63 K/BB in 2009, yet he was toast? He lost his stuff, no doubt, but he was still good enough to fool major league hitters.

6. Jimmy McNulty says:

SG’s CAIRO projections has the Yankees in second place and the Wild Card “favorites” so far. Tampa is close, they’re not as bad as people think. McGee looks like a good option to close and Pena gave them little to nothing anyways. Crawford will be a loss, but they won the division title two of the last three years. I’m not saying the Yanks are fucked, but I’m not all that confident in the playoffs. The Yankees have put themselves in a place in the past where they expect to win The World Series every year (not that in five years they expect five World Series victories, but every year besides maybe this year or 2008 the World Series is a very realistic and attainable goal in April) and now the “pray for the WC” has me a bit worried. I’m at a crossroads though, because while I think the rotation is pretty shitty (probably no better than the second worst out of all the playoff hopefuls) I can’t really disagree with much that they’ve done over the past few years (Burnett to a degree and the Joba situation) I guess shit happens.

• bexarama says:

They’re looking at Fuentes, were very much in on Jenks, and Pena put up a line of .238/.368/.516 in his years with TB, including his bad 2010 where he batted under .200 but still had an OPS over .730. (To be fair, it includes his ridiculous 2007 as well.)

Those are unrelated phrases. Crawford’s a big loss. I don’t know if he can repeat last year (even if he doesn’t, he’s still good) but I wouldn’t bet on Jennings doing so.

Yeah, all your posts are like this.

Also, they’re projections in December. How did all the projections picking the Red Sox to win the division in 2010 – and keep in mind, most of those are from when rosters were way more finalized – work out? Especially when you’ve got a bunch of really solid teams in the same division.

• Accent Shallow says:

Sure, projections have not insignificant error bars, but a 9 game gap between the Yankees and the Sox is a cause for concern, no?

• bexarama says:

I didn’t see the 9 game gap. Yeah, that’s significant, and without even projections I’m taking the Red Sox over the Yankees in the AL East at this point too. That’ll probably be the case even if Pettitte doesn’t retire, BTW.

• Tank the Frank says:

I think it’s obvious the Red Sox are the favorites. Nine games seems optimistic but not unrealistic. As always, it will come down to who can stay healthier.

• Eric says:

I wouldn’t be concerned at all. In fact, I love it that we are not the favorites.

More often then not, the favorites don’t win it all. Where did the SF Giants ranked last offseason?

The Yankees were usually the favorite if not one of the favorites every year from 2001 to 2010. In that time span, we walked away with a ring only once.

Yeah, I’d rather win the real thing instead of the offseason projections.

It’ll be even more sweeter when we beat the RS and win it all in 2011.

• Dalelama says:

Right now where do you put the odds of the Yanks winning WS? I would say 1 in 10?

• Tank the Frank says:

Since I’m confident they’ll make the playoffs I’d put the odds at 1 in 8 and I’ll take those odds every year.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

One in twenty. Pretty shitty staff, I’m unsure if A-Rod will stay healthy and Jeter will rebound. The season still hinges pretty heavily on those two. I’d put the playoff odds at 55% and if they make October they’ll probably have pretty safely the worst pitching staff in the playoffs and probably not the best offense so they’ll need lots of things to go their way (before any of you homers say that every year, in 2009 all they needed was everyone to play to their talent levels…the best team just needs their guys to play to their true talent level and they’ll be fine) so I’m not as confident. The NL is tightening the gap between the leagues, and I can easily see any of Philly, Atlanta, SF, St. Louis, or Milwaukee being trouble in October.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I’ve read lots of posts here and by the site authors around the “The Yankees won the division three straight years with worse rotations, they’ll be fine.” The same goes with Pena last year, he was pretty much cooked, he was barely above replacement level for a first basemen.

No they aren’t Two of the last three years they’ve won the division with the only major losses being Crawford and Pena. (Pena already being addressed) They’re a good team, they aren’t like the As of Yore. They can take losses and still compete, especially against aging teams with key injury prone cogs and weak staffs. It’s not like were talking about the pre/post LeBron Cavs here.

Yeah, all your posts are like this.

Funny, yours tend to read like this: http://www.urbandictionary.com.....id=5160875

Or we’ll read a post about how the rotation might actually be better than last year’s despite it prominently featuring Sergio Mitre and Ivan Nova as of now, and AJ Burnett again. Everyone said last year “VAZQUEZ WILL AT LEAST BE BETTER THAN JOBA, HE CAN’T BE WORSE!!!!!” To be fair I was one of those folks, but he wasn’t and he could be worse…a lot worse.

Yes, it’s December (almost January, but whatever) what other moves are the Yankees going to make? They’re set everywhere except starters 3-5, and there aren’t many inspiring options elsewhere. Is that how they’re going to make up nine games on the Red Sox? Are they going to give Jeter roids and put Alex back on the juice? Or are they going to hire Tanya Harding to clip Pedroia, Lester, and Youkilis? I know it’s early, but the Yankees right now are slight WC favorites and the Red Sox are the overwhelming AL favorites. Furthermore, most of the Marcel based projections had the Yankees winning the East with Tampa and Boston fighting it out for the WC, but it all being pretty close. I know the Red Sox finished several games back but missing 600 PAs of Pedroia and Youkilis didn’t really help their cause either. The projections last year (baring injury) were pretty accurate. Sure the Yankees didn’t win the division, thank you Chad Gaudin, but they were right there with the Rays all year. CAIRO actually had a really good year. Anymore misunderstandings?

• bexarama says:

Why do you say things like this:

When you’re responding to me? Those were posts by the authors of this site, please don’t put their words in my mouth. I obviously really like RAB but that doesn’t mean I agree with every word ever written by Mike, Ben, and Joe (OMG but teh groupthink!). I have about 0 confidence in Nova (probably just me, I just don’t like him much) and even less in Mitre. I definitely don’t like the 2011 staff much apart from CC. I’m not really saying otherwise. I just don’t think the team’s necessarily doomed because of it.

Is that how they’re going to make up nine games on the Red Sox?
          Right now the Yankees don’t need to make up anything on the Red Sox. The Red Sox need to make up six games on the Yankees, and seven on the Rays. Do I think they can do that, and probably already have with their offseason moves? Yeah. Their injuries really hurt them but the shitty pitching hurt them too. Again, I’m still taking them in the AL East.

And I think the Rays are really good and I’m not writing them off (I saw someone say the Rays would finish fifth in 2011 and that’s craaaaazy), but a. other than runs scored where they were somehow third best in baseball, their offense was really not that great, as dumb as that sounds. They probably underachieved there in 2009, and overachieved in 2010. Maybe it’ll equal out, maybe they’ll underachieve again, maybe they’ll overachieve again, we don’t know, all I know is they lost one of their better hitters; b. Their pitching staff is really good, but they still lost like their entire bullpen. I wouldn’t expect guys like Soriano or Benoit to repeat 2010, but replacing their production’ll be difficult… unless they wanna stick Hellickson in teh 8th which I don’t think they do.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I enjoy them too, and realize you are a rational thinking person who can form your own ideas (despite the Richard Simmons DVDs), but lets not pretend like you aren’t confident that the team will make the playoffs, or aren’t an overly optimistic homer. (if you want to say I’m a pessimistic asshole, that’s fine too)

See this right here, while the Yankees did well last year, they had great years from Cano and Swisher. Players have career years, and they come down from them. The Yankees probably aren’t a 96 win team on paper anymore. The Red Sox if healthy, could probably keep up with the Bombers and the Rays. They added two great players and can probably count on Lackey and Beckett not to suck again (who both had good peripherals), why bring up that they need to make up games on the Yankees or Rays? They’re the favorites, period. The Yankees need to catch back up to them or at least get within shouting distance before one can really be comfortable with them making the playoffs. It’s this over confidence of fans that bugs the shit out of me, I remember when idiots thought the Yankees could come back from five down in G2 of the ALCS just because they did it in G1. Yes, the media love for Boston is very annoying. Yes they did lose two guys that provided quite a bit of help. But they got quite a bit better and have a shot at fielding a team for the ages.

Yes, the Rays overachieved with clutch hitting and maximizing steals. The Yankees, OTOH, despite finishing in the middle of the road in the AL in terms of RA their pitching staff was one of the worst in the AL. Tampa’s offense last year was about average. However, with young players like BJ Upton, John Jaso, Evan Longoria, and players like Ben Zobrist that should improve on a down year. I like their offense enough with a staff that features Price, Garza, Hellickson, Shields, and Niemann. The bullpen’s impact is overrated, Benoit and Soriano were helpful but I’m thinking Jacob McGee takes over for the closer’s role and a guy like Wade Davis stays in the bullpen unless Garza gets traded. Everyone says that the Yankees can make a trade for a starter, but the Rays can more easily make a trade for a bat as they have more talent and there will likely be a larger pool of hitter’s available for a trade. Remember: Manny, Vlad, and Thome are still free agents to fill that DH void.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Tampa isn’t bad at all. Hellickson should be good at the major league level and at the very least Jennings will give you defense and speed. They can nearly replace the lost production they lost.

I don’t want to think about a couple years with guys like Moore ready. Ugh.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

The scary thing is they don’t even need to replace the lost production they had from last year, they can be five or six wins worse than they were last year and still beat the Yankees for the WC.

• Tank the Frank says:

Yeah Jennings scares me. He can get on base (career .384 OBP in the minors), steal bases and play good D for the Rays at the very least in his first year. Hellickson is a stud and it wouldn’t surprise me if he outproduced what Shields, Davis or Niemann gave them last year. And not to mention a bounce-back year from Shields… Yeah the Rays scare me.

Here’s another reason. “The Rays’ new generation of pitchers wasn’t merely good. It was also extraordinarily healthy. From late 2005 to mid-2009, only one pitcher at any level of the organization, left-hander Jacob McGee, underwent Tommy John surgery; no team saw a lower rate during that stretch.” Maybe it’s something the Rays are doing right. Maybe it’s coincidence. Either way, they’re stacked with pitching.

7. Matt DiBari says:

After this team repeatedly brought in Sidney Ponson, I’m not ready to dismiss this.

8. Tom Zig says:

My favorite headlines about Colon ever:

http://tinyurl.com/23zrkjm (SFW)

http://tinyurl.com/26lsvup (SFW)

9. bobmac says:

Colon would be worse than any fat joke.

10. Avi says:

I was at that game where Arod homered thrice against Colon in ’05. I called it the night Arod became a Yankee. As Mike says, good times.

11. Uncle Mike says:

Here’s a “Bartolo Colon is SO fat” joke I don’t think anyone has tried yet. Bartolo Colon is SO fat (How fat is he?) He’s so fat, the Yankees are thinking of putting his old Angles cap on him, with the halo, so they can finally have a “holy cow.”

12. vin says:

“Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee, and Brandon Phillips. (AP Photo/Erik S. Lesser)”

That’s 2 30/30 guys and a pitcher who just got 24 million per year. Gotta love Omar Minaya.

When he was with the Expos, he also (pretty much) gave away the likes of:
    Jason Bay, Cliff Floyd, Chris Young (pitcher), Carl Pavano, Orlando Cabrera.

I’m sure payroll played a pretty big factor in some trades, but that’s a lot of talent to give away – especially with Phillips, Lee and Sizemore factored in.

• Chris says:

It’s hard to fault him for anything he did with the Expos. They were owned by MLB and were constantly talked about as contraction targets. That’s got to be a tough situation for a GM and could explain some of the more questionable moves.

• Accent Shallow says:

Yup. Selig should be tarred and feathered for what he did to the Expos.

And the strike.

And the Steroid Era.

Lying to Congress about revenue.

Discussing Spiderman logos on the bases.

Nepotism and giveaways to his daughter, as Brewers’ owner.

I am going to piss on his grave, possibly during the funeral.

• bexarama says:

How do you really feel. ;P

• Tank the Frank says:

Add potentially expanding the playoffs to my list. I’m not in favor of that at all.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Well by major sports commissioners he’s not all that bad. David Stern had referees gambling on the game and he got mad when a reporter insinuated that it could have been happening earlier. Roger Goddell is doing his best to hide the racism of the league while still fucking over players that make him and the owners billions while playing bloodspot while juiced out of their fucking minds, and Bettman had a Hockey lockout. Yes, Selig has had his mistakes, but lets not act like we have a bunch of business savants running the other leagues either. At least Selig keeps his players safe, has facilitated tons of new stadiums, and has embraced the internet as a way to broadcast his sport.

• Accent Shallow says:

Selig keeps his players safe

This is laughable, considering his lax attitude towards the steroid era. Letting players put whatever into their bodies isn’t conducive to health.

• Plank says:

“Facilitating tons of new stadiums” = threatening to leave unless the taxpayers build a new stadium instead of funding public services.

I wouldn’t count that as a point in his favor unless you are one of the 30 people who benefit from the new stadiums (or don’t pay taxes so therefore don’t care)

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I remember when I told Mets fans that Steve Phillips is a better GM than Omar Minaya, so Queens, tell me how my ass tastes.

13. RollingWave says:

I see what happened to Bartolo… he had his identity stolen! the guy in that above pic looks nothing like that later years of Colon.

14. psp says:

This has to be one of the worst offseasons in recent memory. Cashman is making about as much good contact as Rob Deer.

15. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I think Bartolo meant the Yankees (as in people from the North) are interested in using his body for research in discovering how a human managed to mate with a bear.

• Tank the Frank says:

To make a real life ManBearPig.

• Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Man.Bear.Pig.

Either that, or Bartolo is applying for a job reenacting events from the Manifest Destiny era, and the Yankees, Rangers and Native Americans are all trying to recruit him. Big (pun intended) misunderstanding.

16. In response to the Josh Hamilton mailbag: I think the Yanks should go after him. He might be the rare type of player that ages well into his late 30s. I think he’s clearly done with the drugs and that obviously helps. Considering that he gets hurt a lot (but puts up amazing numbers when he plays), I’d give him the J.D. Drew contract (5/70M).

17. Jimmy McNulty says:

For those of you who like instrumental rock or neo-classical music this is pretty bad ass:

18. icebird753 says:

I don’t get why ppl taking roids are always talked so lowly of…they didn’t penalize players for taking them back then, so what was wrong with taking a needle up the butt? It’s the sport’s fault for turning a cold shoulder on the topic for a long time, even when many knew what was going on

• bexarama says:

Only half-related, but some of the arguments against Bagwell are getting really scary. Jeff Pearlman (of “Smoltz and Penny will win more games than CC and AJ” fame) outright accused Bagwell of steroid use, then said that even if he wasn’t using, it’s Bagwell’s fault that he didn’t blow the whistle on his Astros teammates that were using (which supposedly everyone knew. So why didn’t Jeff Pearlman Conquering Hero reveal this?), or something.

Jeter and Mo played with, among others, A-Rod (though he was supposedly clean on the Yankees……..), Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco, and Andy Pettitte. Jeter and Mo never blew the whistle on them. Would Pearlman not vote for them for the Hall?

• Poopy Pants says:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think they took needles specifically ‘up the butt’. We can all hope, though. It’s funny to think of.

• Sean C says:

I personally don’t care. At this point we have no idea if players ‘roided up at any point in the sport. The banned substance list currently includes most things you can get at GNC, so I’m not really against anything at this point. There’s the old school “Ruth did it with hotdogs and beer” argument, but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if HE did something. Look at Bonds’ numbers, they’re baseball porn, and he definitely did steroids. Whether or not they help you hit a baseball remains to be seen, but how hard he hit the ball is definitely cheating. The greats that crushed baseballs in that time cheated, but let’s not lose sight of how good they were to begin with. Arod is, and was, one of the greatest of all time and he succumbed to the pressures of keeping up with everyone. He’s always been a 30/100 threat, and he took the extra step to be a 40+/100+ player at that time. Steroids or not, the greats of the game are greats of the game. I’m not defending them, it’s not my place, but we HAVE to respect how good these people were/are at hitting baseballs.

19. Kramerica Industries (prev. Carcillo) says:

Just as I’m tuning in to watch Seinfeld at 10, there’s a message from the network saying that they couldn’t come to an amicable agreement with the cable provider, and that if nothing is resolved by tomorrow, that network (MyNetwork TV) will be pulled from the air at midnight.

Lovely.

20. candyforstalin says:

what was your favorite film growing up (say somewhere between 13-19)?

21. How Ya Doin says:

the year a-rod had that 3 hr game was the year colon won the cy young. just sayin.

22. China Joe says:

Haha…didn’t Colon sign on with the Red Sox at one point? I don’t remember much, but I assume it was considered one of the greatest pickups of all time.

23. I wish the Blue Jays went away instead of the Expos, I love that curly ‘M’

24. AJ says:

Imagine the back of the NY Post if they signed Colon and he had a bad outing.