Dec

Open Thread: Charlie Hayes

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

I dunno why, but I’ve been on a bit of a retro kick of lately, hence the recent Mike Mussina, Jimmy Key, and Darryl Strawberry posts. Anyway, everyone remembers Charlie Hayes for that moment right there, the final out of the 1996 World Series, and I suspect he’s perfectly fine with that. It’s easy to forget that Hayes was a fine player for a lot of years though. He put up 2.6 fWAR for the Yanks as their regular third baseman in 1992, and almost a third of career 14.0 fWAR came in pinstripes. Hayes’ big year came with the Rockies in 1993 (after they grabbed him in the expansion draft), when Coors Field helped him hit .305/.355/.552 with 4.1 fWAR. It’s all about that catch though, when you hear the name Charlie Hayes, you can’t help but put a smile on your face because of that weak little foul pop-up.

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, here’s your open thread for the evening. We’ve got not one but two football games tonight. The regular MNF game has the Ravens at the Texas, but the Giants are also playing the Vikings in Detroit because the Metrodome roof collapsed yesterday. That game will air on FOX in the Tri-State area. The Isles are also in action. Go ahead and talk about whatever you want, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Squishy Jello Person says:

I’d like @cephster to repeat what he said on Twitter about how Brian Cashman should respond to the next Cliff Lee inquiry

2. JobaWockeeZ says:

And since today is a bust I will no longer follow this CLiff Lee debacle. He’ll probably sign one week before Pitcher’s and Catchers Report at this rate.

Now there’s a mystery team Lee supposedly loves? Yeah it’s best to completely ignore anyhting Lee related.

3. That guy wearing the Yankees hat right between Hayes and Jeter kinda looks like Ben, no?

Conclusive proof of time-travel.

4. when you hear the name Charlie Hayes, you can’t help but put a smile on your face because of that weak little foul pop-up.

5. JobaWockeeZ says:

Jets tripping coach suspended? Meh should have gotten fired.

• CP says:

I think the Dolphins should have thanked him. If he hadn’t been tripped, then Carroll would have gotten ANOTHER 15 yard penalty for not coming back in bounds on a punt.

6. Was there another DDoS attack an hour, or so, ago?

7. Apparently we’re closing in on a deal with Russell Martin. Does this mean the end of Cervelli? (extremely excited)

8. Xstar7 says:

What’s with the guy in that picture between Hayes and Jeter that’s just looking the other way?

9. Steve H says:

Damn, in 1993 Hayes hit .338/.387/.601 at Coors.

10. Interested to see how Matt Schaub does… I have him and Rodgers for QBs.

11. art vandelay says:

look at the guy directly to the left of jeters hip

“ehhhhh don’t hit me foul pop up … “

12. Teh Comp Pick says:

Could it really be this hard to decide which 100mil plus offer you’d like to take and with which team you’d like to play? I wonder what we don’t know, like maybe he thought he’d be a Yankee, but Tex offered way more than he expected?

Or is Braunecker just trying to get a higher bid still?

• Or is Braunecker just trying to get a higher bid still?

• Kiersten says:

I don’t understand cause for the past two years it’s been all about him wanting to hit free agency and cashing in. Well, he’s a top pitcher in the game, he’s had to have known that the Yankees would want him and pay him the most money. He should have known for a while now if he wants to be a Yankee or not.

Basically, a top 5 pitcher saying he wants to hit free agency translates to “I want to see how much the Yankees will offer me to pitch them to the World Series.”

13. bexarama says:

I love how every Philly fan is like, “HALLADAY/LEE/OSWALT/HAMELS/GREINKE WE WILL BE UNBEATABLE!!!” Yeah well, guys, you still wouldn’t beat the Boston Supergreatestteamevah so what does it matter.

14. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/s.....-cliff-lee

If Lee goes back to Philly, I’m dropping my flags and moving to Philadelphia.

/half serious

15. Xstar7 says:

Did Cliff Lee sign yet?

16. mustang says:

I still can remember Girardi running around third with the go ahead run and how piss off Maddux was. Totally love it I was still bitter over Maddux fucking the Yankees as a free-agent.

17. Mondoas says:

Joe Buck..”Hayes waits..the Yankees are champions of baseball”! I will never forget that moment.
    The next day we played the Jacksonville Jaguars and I sacked Mark Brunell. Our POS coach(Dave Shula) was fired on that previous Monday and Bruce Coslet came in and we won that game.
    Take a look at my sack as it was one of my few moments in the NFL:

18. nsalem says:

Maybe Cliff and Kristen are not in agreement on where they will spend the next 7 summers. Cashman’s quote today to Kepner “He’ll make up his mind someday” really exhibits how frustrated Cashman is by this situation. He rarely injects such sarcasm into his comments to the press.

19. nsalem says:

I was at Game 1 of the 96 World Series. It was a Sunday night game there was an awful storm in the area and doubt whether the game would be played. Great electricity in the air and then unfortunately the game started. Jones’ 1st homer brought us down to earth and home run number 2 was crushing. After being outscored 16-1 in the first two games and heading down to Atlanta for game 3, the most optimistic Yankee fan would not believe that the Braves had won their last game of the year.

20. First Time Poster says:

I’m surprised RAB hasn’t made a thread about Matsui’s signing with the A’s. Just a quick one ala Melky.

21. Kit says:

I love this retro kick. I remember so little about the 90′s teams, that it’s nice to be reminded of those really special, completely amazing moments I experienced as a kid.

22. JobaWockeeZ says:

Next thing we’ll hear is that the next myserty team is the damn Vikings.

23. Teh Comp Pick says:

This Lee saga will be over within the next 24 hours, I’m thinking the Philly thing was a little too ridiculous and it’s down to the wire now.

Cliff Lee better still be worth it in year 3 after all of this.

24. Sheepmeister says:

So when do the yankees actually make their first move? Lee shouldn’t be hamstringing them, this offseason has been so boring for the yankee fan.

25. bonestock94 says:

Heard This:

26. Carcillo says:

How the hell would the Phillies afford Lee?

I can’t imagine that, though that rotation would be other-worldly if they did get him.

27. Greg Golson says:

Someone has to have made this joke by now but I found a Brett Gardner biographical movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo-RDJb4W28

28. Greg G. says:

Hey, since this is an Open Thread, and I don’t have the Giants broadcast in my area…is Justin Tuck not playing tonight…I don’t see his name in the stats.

29. EVH 5150 says:

Lee signed with the Philles. Its over for us.