Dec

Open Thread: ‘Cuse coming to the Bronx

(AP Photo/Henny Ray Abrams)

The Syracuse Orange (7-5 overall, 4-3 in conference play) have accepted a bid to play in this month’s Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium according to the team, though their opponent still hasn’t been confirmed. Based on my quick Google search, it appears that Kansas State is the favorite for the other bid. The game is scheduled for Monday, December 20th.

“We are thrilled to have Syracuse representing the Big East Conference in the inaugural New Era Pinstripe Bowl,” said Hal Steinbrenner. “We expect the historic backdrop of Yankee Stadium and the many attractions of New York City to create a one-of-a-kind bowl event for the athletes participating and … Syracuse fans that will have the opportunity to watch their team play in person.”

I know a few of our regulars are Syracuse alums, so any of you going to head out to the game? Based on what I heard, last month’s matchup between Army and Notre Dame was a rather cool experience.

Anywho, here’s tonight’s open thread. The Texans are at the Eagles and you can watch if you have the NFL Network, otherwise you’re stuck with the Rangers at the Islanders. It seems like all of the local teams have had the week off. Eh, whatever. Oh, and Lebron is going back to Cleveland tonight (8pm ET, TNT). I hear that’s kind of a big deal. Talk about whatever you want, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

sent this in, dunno if the RAB guys are gonna post it, but it’s got some cute stories… AND SOME ABSOLUTELY BATSHIT INSANE OPINIONS.

Highlights!!!

I can honestly say now that I wish Torre had stayed.

As a Yankees fan, Torre always presented optimism when he was the manager. After hard losses or during stretches where the Yankees just didn’t look like the Yankees, he would deflect the team’s real problems and tell the media, and more importantly the fans, that everything was going to be all right, and you believed him. For someone that has never met the man, I think it’s easy to trust Joe Torre and his decisions. With his calm demeanor and approach and his soothing voice just sipping away on Bigelow Tea, it’s almost impossible to not trust that he is going to lead you the right way.

when you think of the combination of Torre as general manager and the idea that he was one of only a handful of people in the world that could talk George out of things, it’s hard not to think that maybe the Yankees would have won even more times with Joe in the front office than they did with him as manager. And when you think of some of the terrible free-agent signings and trades that took place while Joe was managing, maybe they would have been prevented if he had the upper hand and a prominent role in the front office.

I would like to think that the present day Yankees have the same drive that the Yankees of the late 90s had, but I don’t think it exists, and I don’t know if it will again.

on Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS:
    If I were Torre I would have scrapped Brown and Vazquez, and started Mariano and worked my way backwards through the game by piecing together the game out by out and inning by inning.

But the Yankees had a 3-2 lead after five innings and you could feel like a 2-0 series lead coming. Then Mike Mussina turned into Mike Mussina.

One of the Yankees I trusted the least from 2001-08 was Mike Mussina. That may come as a surprise to some because I am pretty sure most people liked Mike Mussina and his knuckle curve and his crossword puzzles, but the Moose just wasn’t a favorite of mine. I know that he had some big games for the Yankees in playoffs (like his relief appearance in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS), but he was 5-7 in the postseason for the Yankees, and I always felt like he would pitch just good enough to lose, and this game was a clear example.

It was hard to trust any other starter for the years that Mussina was on the team, so I understand why Torre always stuck with him a little longer than he should have, the same way that Joe Girardi always stays with A.J. Burnett one hitter too long.

O________O

• This tops the article I posted last night. Kudos to the author for being an even bigger ignorant dumbass?

• I Voted for Kodos says:

What exactly does this mean? Honestly, I’d love to see an article describing exactly what the 90s teams did to show drive that the current teams to not. Is the problem that the current team smiles too much? It seems that popular opinion dictates that if you’re smiling or having fun, you’re not driven.

Personally, I equate drive to never giving up, and if there’s one thing the Yankee teams of the last few years have shown, it’s that they are never out of a game.

• Jerome S says:

Most crazy things I see are 50% bad, or even 75% bad. This is pure, concentrated, 100% batshit insanity. Not an agreeable thing in there.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I kind of want to kill myself now that I’ve read that. Faith in humanity continues to wane.

• bexarama says:

another thing I enjoyed was apparently Bernie was Torre’s favorite. I know managers are gonna have favorites, and I love Bernie to itty-bitty bits, but do you have to talk about how you had favorites? Am I just being a tight-ass here?

• Kit says:

I agree with you on that, it just seems kind of wrong for him to say that, kind of like it would seem wrong for a parent to say who their favorite kid is. Obviously not the same situation, but there’s just something so unnecessary about pointing out who the favorites were/are.

• S says:

*Put on a tinfoil hat

JOE MAUER’S HAVING MICHEAL JORDAN’S BABY

ROBBY CANO, PHIL HUGHES, AND CC SABATHIA SHOULD BE TRADED FOR CHONE FIGGINS.

(More batshit crazy comments brought to you by the crazy guy who wrote that stuff Bexarama has shown us)

• Accent Shallow says:

I dunno, I can see starting Mariano. Wildly unorthodox, but they really had no other options.

• bexarama says:

Yeah, I can almost get the idea of a bullpen game considering who they had available to start, but in a Game 7 I’d rather save him for the middle of the game or at least the middle of the lineup.

• Accent Shallow says:

Getting into crazypants territory — bring in Mo over Javy?

• bexarama says:

If you’re willing to leave him in/he can stay in for like 2 (maybe 2+, even, he did it in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS), it was not a terrible idea to bring in Mo right there, no.

Torre was probably hoping Javy would be like Moose in, again, Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. Didn’t exactly work out that way though :/

• Having someone this dumb be a big Torre fan just cements the idea in my mind that the Yankees made the right decision in letting Joe go.

2. ChrisR says:

Woot! I go to syracuse and I can’t wait to go to Yankee Stadium to watch them :)

3. Squishy Jello Person says:

I’m a ‘Cuse alumna and wish desperatley I could go-but it’s probably not a good idea to ask off from my first week of work.

Speaking of, it’s my last night I’ll be sleeping in NYC =(

4. mike c says:

the islanders are the greatest blue & orange NY sports team of all time

5. Mitch Williams reasoning as to why Hoffman is underrated and is technically the best closer of all time: Saves!

Let’s completely discount Mo’s legendary postseason accomplishments and scary consistency and declare Hoffman better because he has more saves! That makes perfect sense!

(insert dismissive wanking motion)

• Xstar7 says:

And K-Rod is better than Mariano because K-Rod got more saves in 2008 than Mariano ever got in a single season.

• WaRRioR86 says:

Don’t worry, Mo will soon zoom past Hoffman’s record probably sometime next September or the following April in 2012. Then, the fools, er, experts can crown Rivera the greatest officially.

Poor Hoffman- In my opinion, eveyone judges the guy in such black and white terms. His legacy is either as a failure because of his lack of success in most of his biggest appearences. And then others feel he’s legitmately on par, or even better, than Mariano. The truth lies somewhere in between and hopefully people can comprehend that when he eventually gets in H.o.F.

• Squishy Jello Person says:

If you’re a closer though, aren’t you *supposed* to be judged on the big appearances?

Your job description basically means high leverage pitching…

6. Mattchu12 says:

Watching the Heat-Cavs game right now, and I cant decide whether I should sympathize with Cleveland over this whole ordeal, or just be annoyed at how they have booed at an epic level every time Lebron touches the ball. This is just insane.

• Tom Zig says:

why shouldn’t they boo LeBron?

• Shit, I wouldn’t even boo him, I’d laugh at him. He plays for a rudderless .500 team that doesn’t even look like a lock for home court advantage in the first round anymore.

It’s really early, but volunteering to replicate the Allan Houston/Latrell Sprewell “Two ballhandling wing players for a one-ball game with no inside presence” Knicks teams of yore for the next half-decade looks like a massive miscalculation on Bron-Bron’s part.

• Mattchu12 says:

I honestly don’t know.

I mean, on one hand, he left his hometown team where he had this tremendous fan base.

On the other hand, he took less money to leave, didn’t he? I mean, that’s like, he clearly didn’t think he could win in Cleveland, right?

Personally, I’m with Michael Jordan on this. They asked MJ if he ever thought about calling Larry Bird and Magic Johnson to team up, and he said he’d rather beat them on his own than join them. I think he’s right about that. I wish Lebron stayed in Cleveland, but this has been pretty harsh. I mean, even Johnny Damon got some cheers when he returned to Boston as a Yankee.

• I Voted for Kodos says:

The problem is less how he left and more how he went about it. That special on ESPN was the most arrogant, self-serving, and obnoxious way he could have gone about leaving Cleveland. He ripped out the hearts of an entire fan base on national television and then spit in their faces. And then he comes out with that ludicrous Nike commercial where he seemingly tries to paint himself as a victim? He deserves the booing.

• Mattchu12 says:

I’ll be the first to admit, ‘the Decision’ was a terrible idea. Not the way to do it. It’s bad enough you have to leave, don’t make a TV Special to rub it in. Uber arrogance.

On the other hand, it’s hard for me not to consider this too much. Obviously, he’s made a bad choice (not bad because he left Cleveland, bad because the Heat are awful) and he’s going to have to live with it in Miami. If the Red Sox can cheer on Pedro, Johnny D, and even Manny, the Cavs should be more classy than this.

• I Voted for Kodos says:

The Boston players weren’t homegrown, weren’t born locally, and didn’t completely shit on the team on national television on their way out the door.

If I was a Cleveland fan, I’d be booing him mercilessly.

• JGS says:

Certainly not at the two Yankee games at Fenway I went to during Damon’s tenure.

7. National League Non-Tenders
    By Tim Dierkes [December 2 at 8:07pm CST]

This post will list all the National League players non-tendered today, but the best place to track all 200+ arbitration eligible players is our new non-tender tracker.

* Brewers: Todd Coffey, Joe Inglett
    * Marlins: Jose Veras
    * Astros: Sammy Gervacio
    * Braves: Matt Diaz
    * Diamondbacks: Blaine Boyer, Ryan Church, Augie Ojeda
    * Padres: Tony Gwynn, Scott Hairston

8. adam b says:

Can we expect an obligitorybobby jenks post in the near future?

9. Sources said Wednesday that the Yankees felt emboldened by the new contract signed by Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who inked a seven-year, $134 million extension that will keep him in Colorado for the next 10 years. Including the three years that Tulowitzki had remaining on his current contract, he will earn an average of $15.7 million per season, giving the Yankees the belief that the $15 million per year they had offered Jeter was more than fair.

But Tulowitzki will earn an average of $19.1 million during the new portion of his contract, topping the $18.9 million annual average salary that Jeter earned during his recently completed 10-year, $189 million deal.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blo.....z170nrxUy6

Nice job by Mark clearing that up. Everyone’s acting like the Tulo contract averages 16 per and Derek is delusional, turns out the Yanks are matching it.

10. Jimmy McNulty says:

Better 4th OF candidate Scott Hairston or Matt Diaz?

11. Someone give me an e-hug right now. Please?

12. If you’re Brian Cashman, do you trade Montero for Greinke? Assuming you only have to throw in a Nova-type and mediocre prospects along with him?

I don’t think I would, but it’s tempting.

13. gc says:

The historic backdrop of a two year old stadium??

14. I find it hilarious how Bron has 38 points through 3.

15. Am I the only one who thinks Qatar is an odd choice for the World Cup?

16. ChrisR says:

Looks like Mo will re-up for 2/30

17. Joey says:

Posted this in the open thread since this was buried, but:

Alright people, need some help. Finally broke down and made a twitter account to follow some news and whatever, need suggestions who to follow. Got the obvious (Mike, Joe, Ben, Yankees, KLaw, other nonbaseball interest). Suggestions? TIA

The Heyman stuff pushed me, we’ll see if it lasts lol

18. AJ says:

Sign Russell Martin. Sign Russell Martin.