Dec

Open Thread: El Duque

(AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Has there been a more entertaining pitcher in baseball, nevermind just on the Yankees, in the last 20 years than Orlando Hernandez? I don’t think so. The trademark leg kick was every bit for show as it was for throwing the baseball, and he was the kind of guy that was completely unpredictable on the mound. He’d throw eephus pitches, go sidearm, all sorts of stuff. I’ll never forget the time a batted ball got stuck in the webbing of his glove and he just threw the glove over to Tino Martinez at first. Instant classic. I’ll also never forget his first career playoff start, when he fired seven shutout innings in Cleveland with the Yankees down two games to one in the 1998 ALCS. El Duque’s playoff record during his first stint with the Yankees was impeccable, we’re talking 12 team wins in 16 games with a 2.51 ERA in 97 innings pitched. There’s almost zero chance that El Duque was whatever age he claimed to be, but who cares. The guy was an absolute joy to watch on the baseball field, reminding us all that this is just part of the entertainment business.

Once you’re done reminiscing about El Duque, use this as your open thread. The late NFL game has the Aaron Rodgers-less Packers at the Patriots, which should be fun. Unless you have Rodgers on your fantasy team and are in the playoffs, like me. Talk about whatever you want here, just don’t be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. YankeesJunkie says:

Is anyone else still taking finals because it is pissing me off that I won’t be done for another two days it is awful.

Also by favorite El Duque memory would have to be when he stomped on the Red sox in the ALDS I don’t really have memories of him as a Yankee.

• Granderslam says:

I JUST finished my last paper for Grad School…at least for the semester. This blog has served as a huge, much-needed distraction though. I probably would have finished earlier, but the refreshing of comments every 5 minutes hasn’t helped. With that said…anyone else completely bored by this offseason? I really hope something happens this upcoming week.

• Esteban says:

I dunno, I think there’s been enough mystery teams and surprise trades to make it a decent offseason.

• Granderslam says:

If only the Yankees were a part of a surprise trade……

• Esteban says:

Haha, yea from the Yankees perspective, signing Russell Martin is not exactly exciting.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Don’t forget megastar Pedro Feliciano.

• Granderslam says:

Yeah, we’ve definitely upgraded in important positions during the offseason…no doubt. But, I’m still yearning for something more in the rotation. Nothing special or anything…just something. Even a rumor will do at this point lol.

• FIPster Doofus says:

The “megastar” bit was sarcasm. Martin’s a good acquisition, and I’m ambivalent on the Feliciano pickup. Hopefully, Cashman has something up his sleeve in regards to starting pitching. Do something there, add a utility player or two (one or both Hairstons? Keppinger?), and we’ll be ready to roll.

• Granderslam says:

Ha! Yeah, I picked up on the sarcasm lol. I totally agree with you. Cash obviously has some sort of plan, other than patience…I’m just losing mine as time goes on. Let’s just hope as soon as a rumor surfaces, it will be one that won’t want to make me throw my lap top across the room. Not much is out there in the trade market, but I’m counting on Ninja Cash to make a decent move regarding the rotation.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

“With that said…anyone else completely bored by this offseason? ”

How do you think the guys doing the hot stove show feel? They got tons of juice from the Jeter saga and then things came to a screeching halt. Pretty hard to fill 30 mins twice a week with little to no news

• JGS says:

Yes. I’m not done until Thursday. And I only get a week off before starting up again.

• Tom Zig says:

I still have finals too. One of my professors was supposed to give us a take home exam on Thursday night but didn’t give it to us till Saturday night. Not only that but he gave us 7 essays when in class he said he would give us only 5 and consider giving us less essays and some multiple choice.

• Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

That ALDS game against the Red Sox in 2005 was one of the most awesome middle relief performances I have ever seen.

• Kiersten says:

I was happy I went to a school that ended finals ~a week before Christmas. I had friends who were in school till the 22dn or 23rd.

• My last final’s tomorrow afternoon and then I still have a paper to write.

• pete says:

Heh. I got out this past tuesday. Being a music major fucking rocks (insanely bad pun intended).

2. SteveD says:

He was awesome. I did security for the yankees spring training in fla. he was always very cool.

3. Bubba says:

“just don’t be cool”? Ok. You guys are dickheads! FU! Should have traded Montero, Betances, Cano, CC, and Cashman for Greinke! You guys suck!

4. Esteban says:

Cubans represent!

5. Kiersten says:

You can’t reminisce about El Duque without watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMJQvSJyQg (safe)

6. cheddar says:

My favorite Yankee starter ever, covering almost 40 years.

7. Esteban says:

This Jets game is gonna kill me.

• Esteban says:

Oh thank God. Good thing both NY teams didn’t lose at the last second.

So are the Jets still terrible and is Mark Sanchez still incapable of beating good defenses like everyone was saying the last two weeks?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah the Steelers D is not the same without Polomau. He’s probably a top ten, and at the very least top 20, player in the league. Sanchez kinda sucks, despite the good start today…remember when Kei Igawa had that awesome relief outing for like 6.2 against Boston? Bad players can have good days against good teams. He’s young enough that he can improve, but I’m not optimistic. He just doesn’t seem to have the physical tools to be anything than a poor man’s Chad Pennington. That isn’t to say that the Jets suck or anything, they’re a pretty good team with a legit shot in the playoffs, but just not because of Mark Sanchez.

• Esteban says:

Yeah, I was thinking what you said last week. I don’t know why you’re so down on him. He’s still young and pretty inexperienced. He’ll probably never be a great QB, but I don’t know why you think he can’t be at least average.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It’s not that I think he can’t can’t be average, I just don’t think he will be. Why am I so down on him? A Quarterback rating in the 60s while playing for pretty good teams with good WRs, a good ground game, and a good OL has quite a bit to do with it.

• bexarama says:

Francesa is gonna be great tomorrow because he’ll barely be able to hold back his vomit.

8. Apollo22237 says:

Anyone watching the WWE PPV tonight, haha.

9. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Favorite memory would have to be El Duque and Coco Crisp jitterbugging at first base. Coco kept dodging El Duque’s tags at first, then finally Orlando crossed him arms and stared as Coco just turned around and went back to the dugout.

• I Voted 4 Kodos says:

Speaking of Crisp, remember when Boston traded for him and he was going to be a younger, better version of Johnny Damon, who had just signed with the Yanks? Those were some good times.

• bexarama says:

And then Ellsbury was going to be Jesus himself?

• I Voted 4 Kodos says:

Wait, he’s not? I thought he missed time last year because he was off performing miracles.

• bexarama says:

No, now he’s just a piece o’shit. /smear campaign’d

• ryan says:

ellsbury is sick, he was hurt last year because mike cameron ran into him

dont let one injury plagued year lead you to mis-label him a POS

• FIPster Doofus says:

Pretty sure she was being sarcastic. And Ellsbury is not good enough to be labeled “sick.”

• bexarama says:

This. I was talking about the way the (Boston) media treated him. He was on fiyahhhh in his call-up in 2007, so he was anointed, like, Jesus. Then the team turned on him to a ridiculous this year.

He’s a fine player when not hurt but he’s not Jesus/Johnny Damon/etc.

• Tank the Frank says:

Ellsbury is a below average centerfielder both offensively and defensively with above average speed. That’s all. No more, no less.

• AndrewYF says:

Fact: Jacoby Ellsbury has never had a full season OPS+ above 100. His career OPS+ is 92. His wOBA is barely above league average.

He’s got the potential to be better, but at the age of 27, it’s not exactly likely.

Amazing how Brett Gardner has completely and utterly surpassed him as a baseball player. And not one mention of Gardner being a superstar. The highest praise I’ve heard of him from the MSM is that he’s a ‘capable’ and ‘dynamic’ player.

• Tank the Frank says:

Not to mention “gritty” and “gutty” which is rarified air for Yankees players.

He is a much better basestealer than Gardner though, I have to give him some praise.

• JGS says:

I don’t even know how true that is.

Ellsbury–136 SB in 160 attempts (85%)
                      Gardner–86 SB in 101 attempts (85.1%)

Ellsbury also has a decently lower career OBP (.344 to Gardner’s .358), but the extra attempts come from having 516 more career PAs than Gardner.

If Gardner can put up a high OBP again going forward, he is clearly the superior player.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Remember when Penny and Smoltz were going to help lift the Red Sox to another championship, and when they would only trade Penny for a Smoak-type bat? More good times.

10. bexarama says:

Sorry Giants fans. D:

11. Does anyone have a clip of the El Duque glove throw? I was somewhere between the ages of 7 and 10 during his first time in pinstripes, and I don’t remember much of it at all. Plus, I’d love to see one of my favorite Yankees during that era, TINO!

12. FIPster Doofus says:

I was around 11 when El Duque came up, and was so enthralled by him. I remember imitating his motion as a little league pitcher and confusing the hell out of the other teams. It was awesome. Duque was the man. And hey, he pitched in the Nationals organization last season, so I guess he’s still the man. Long live Duque.

13. bexarama says:

So, uh, Black Swan. Eesh.

• Tank the Frank says:

No good? I heard good reviews and I love me some Natalie Portman. She’s my Andy Pettitte.

• bexarama says:

No, I meant “eesh” in a good way. It’s gonna stick with me for a while.

• bexarama says:

Also Natalie Portman is so freaking beautiful. I wouldn’t say she’s hot (then again, straight girl alert, so I wouldn’t really know), but she’s gorgeous.

• Tank the Frank says:

Good I can’t wait to see it. I don’t know why she doesn’t get more attention. A lot of my friends always look at me weird when I mention her. I guess she doesn’t have the “sex appeal” of the Megan Fox’s or Scarlett Johansson’s of the world but I think she’s gorgeous.

I’m also semi-in love with Mila Kunis (Macaulay Culkin? Really?) and Darren Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors. In fact… I’m not sure why I haven’t seen this movie already.

• bexarama says:

Heh, I feel like all guys think she’s gorgeous. And for good reason – she is.

I liked Kunis from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, though this is obviously a very different movie. I definitely highly recommend this one but it’s almost Requiem for a Dream-style disturbing (same director, right?), my friend had to leave the theater.

• Tank the Frank says:

Yeah same director. Aronofsky is a genius. If you like his work check out Pie, although that one is extremely weird and not as good as Requiem, you’ll still recognize his work.

• China Joe says:

I remember watching Pie with a couple of friends. After it was done nobody could talk for like five minutes. Then my friend Greg finally found words to sum up the movie: “Well…that Indian girl was pretty hot.”

• pete says:

Natalie Portman is the only celebrity/person I don’t actually know who I can honestly say that I’m attracted to. I mean I guess to a lesser extent Emma Watson, but that’s only because she’s Hermione.

• Yanks Fan in MA says:

That’s an odd statement to make. You have to know someone to be attracted to them? Not making fun, just have never heard anyone say that before.

14. I feel bad for the Packers. They are going to get completely wrecked without Rodgers.

15. Monteroisdinero says:

So is there anyway Montero plays his way on to the opening day roster with an awesome spring training where it becomes obvious that he is a man surrounded by boys?

16. Jonathan says:

I just got a poster in of Duque/Roger/Andy/Mo/Moose and I was trying to explain to my mom about why he did the leg kick…she didn’t get it..

My favorite memories of him were basically saving our 2004 season out of nowhere (although now that I think about it I wish we didn’t make the playoffs). And secondly, when I think he was with the White Sox he threw a 50mph pitch to Arod and he hit it like 4 miles.

17. Mike says:

Just want to ask why Wheeler is not a target for Yankees? He is better than Jenk for several years.

• Wheeler isn’t a target for us because he’s a member of the Red Sox.

• Granderslam says:

Rauch could possibly be a target for the BP. I remember hearing Leo Nunez might be available too.

Also, someone on another board mentioned the possibility of trading for the Cubs Sean Marshall and inserting him into the rotation. Don’t know much about him or the Cubs situation so I have absolutely no idea…but I was thinking, if they are trying to shed payroll, I wonder if Dempster is available. Any way to avoid the Zambrano conversation.

• I mentioned those guys the other day. I’d really like the Yankees to look into Nunez, Marshall, Betancourt, and Hanrahan. I don’t think they are all available, but Cashman wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t at least inquire. I also am a big Breslow fan as my former HS teacher and him work together on Breslow’s Strike 3 foundation, i’d love to see him in pinstripes.

• Tom Zig says:

We don’t have a need for a ROOGY

18. UWS says:

I just want to take a moment to say, “Fucking Giants.”

And where do I send the bill for medical care after I had about 15 heart attacks at the end of the Jets game?

• goterpsgo says:

Note to NYG: You play a 53-minute game!!! You don’t just put up a 31-spot and call it a day!!!

(And because of this I’m getting shit from WAS fans who think they can talk trash despite their shitty team losing to DAL.)

19. So, go see Black Swan.

20. Andy says:

Can anyone recommend a good book or article about comparing baseball stats across generations? My dad and I always discuss, but it’d be nice to have some stats to actually back up our discussion. I know that batting averages used to be much higher, but I don’t know much beyond that. Anyway, any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

21. Kiersten says:

What are some Yankee/baseball books I need to read?

I just got a Nook and I’m in a “need to download a million books for it” phase.

22. Steve H says:

I didn’t see Swan Lake last night, but I did see The Fighter. Damn good movie. Christian Bale was awesome.

23. mike c says:

98 yankees, what a year. that’s the kind of action i’m talking about…
    i think there’s a good shot at greatness again this year, it’s all up to a few key players to really step up their game this year and make it happen. i feel like making a list, so here they are in order:
    AJ
    hughes
    AP*
    cano
    tex
    a-rod
    jeter
    gardner
    posada
    montero
    CG
    d-job & the loogy’s

expect big things from this extremely talented roster coming off a down year. hopefully this summer’s not as brutal so our guys hold up a little better in the fall, that was a major concern, a lot of our big guys were completely gassed out by the end. maybe some lighter linen uniforms this year?

• Carcillo says:

George approaches Buck Showalter at Yankee Stadium.

GEORGE: Hey, Buck. Talk to you for a second?

SHOWALTER: Sure, George.

GEORGE: How’s everything going? Everything O.K.?

SHOWALTER: Well, all of a sudden there’s a problem with Tartabull’s swing…

GEORGE: Listen, Buck, I uh…obviously I don’t need to talk to you about the importance of player morale, but uh…I’ve been talking to some of the guys, and some of them – I don’t want to mention any names – but some of them…they’re not too happy with the polyester uniforms.

SHOWALTER: How so?

GEORGE: Well, they get very hot in the polyester. You know, it’s not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.

SHOWALTER: Cotton, huh?

GEORGE: Yeah. Cotton breathes, you see, it’s much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don’t you think that would be an advantage? They’re cooler, they’re more comfortable…they’re happier – they’re gonna play better.

SHOWALTER: You may have something there, George.

GEORGE: Oh – I’ve got something.

SHOWALTER (considering): Hmm. Cotton uniforms.

24. Monteroisdinero says:

So I was looking over the 2011 Scranton schedule-checking out the Montero opportunities since the feeling is he won’t open with the big team- and the 2010 Scranton team finished 21.5 games ahead of Pawtucket (Sox) and 29.5 games ahead of Lehigh Valley (Phillies). Too bad the trends veer so sharply from AAA to MLB.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I can see Montero just raking over the first month or so. He only needs to be in Scranton for a couple weeks to get that extra year of eligibility, but I suspect he will be up sometime in June as to prevent Super 2 status. If the Yankees had not gotten Martin, Montero would be starting IMO.

25. Ivan says:

So how was that Giant-Eagle Game. Man that was crazy.

26. China Joe says:

For a Yankees/Giants/Knicks fan, this was one of the most disturbing weeks I can remember….first the Lee rejection, then the Celts/Heat/Cavs fiasco, and the Giants put the cherry on top.

27. mustang says:

1- Lee goes to the Phillies and everyone else rather sign for less then play for the Yankees
    2- Amar’e Stoudemire’s step-back jumper at the regulation buzzer doesn’t count find out later that it should of. Followed by a blowout lost to LeBron’s Heat and a lost to the lonely Cavs.

3-Watching the Giants blowout the Eagles while Washington ties Dallas after being down 27-7 in the 3rd. To have the Giants lose historically and Dallas win on a last minute field goal.

Apparently I’m in the 5th level of sport hell with no way to get out.

• Ivan says:

Well it’s been a tough week in deed except, imma Eagles fan lol…so yeah wat a win.

• Carcillo says:

I’m a Bucs fan and have hated the Eagles for as long as I’ve watched football (the playoffs between 2000-2002 didn’t help). Right around the time the Giants went up 31-10, the Bucs kicked a go ahead FG with under two minutes left.

The next 10-15 minutes for me might be the worst I’ve ever had as a football fan, and I’m not joking about that. Both games literally collapsed simultaneously, with the worst outcome in both. As I said to a buddy of mine afterwards…

“fuck me sideways”

• goterpsgo says:

As much as the loss sucked royally, I will give props to MV. I thought he put the team on his back and ran with it.

(It didn’t help NYG seemed to sleepwalk the last 7 minutes.)

• Teh Comp Pick says:

What do you mean Amar’es three should have counted?? It appeared to come well after the light came on

28. mike says:

nice win by the Jets, can’t same the same about the Giants

29. max says:

Stupid Tim Tebow getting to stupid start for the stupid Broncos. effing ridiculous. Evidence that that pick was influenced just as much by ownership as it was by stupid cheat-face McDaniels (if not more).

30. My favorite El Duque moment was him laying down a bunt, and then leaping over the first baseman and beating it for a hit. He then talked all kinds of smack to the other pitchers because none of them had hits yet.

31. FIPster Doofus says:

Best. Kick return. Ever.

32. China Joe says:

If I hear another Felix to the Yankees rumor I’m going to lose my mind. There is no f’ing way they trade him. The Yankees probably had a better chance of prying Ken Griffey Jr. away from the M’s in 1993.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It’ll take a king’s ransom but I have a feeling the rumor mill will be buzzing by the deadline next year. I’d offer Montero, Romine, and all of the Killer Bs without thinking twice about it.

33. Teh Comp Pick says:

Wow

Nolasco close to three year extension for 27(!!!) million. Seems like a steep price to me for two arb years and one FA year. Wouldn’t expect the Marlins to splurge, but they do seem to spend money in strange ways when they spend it (wouldn’t extend Ugg to the deal he will get from ATl but signed Buck for three years).

• FIPster Doofus says:

Good. I wanted no part of him in a Yankees uniform.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Yea, I didn’t think he would fit in well at YSIII either. While he would have more upside than Nova, he wouldn’t be worth the cost in prospects, illustrated by this extension. Seems like a huge overpay to me, he only made 3.8mil last year.

• bonestock94 says:

Bummer

• Total Dominication says:

Well, he’d of made 15-17 mil in his first arb year, so if they pay him 5, then 8, then 14, it would be a nice deal.

• Reggie C. says:

I guess by end of business tomorrow the only trade targets that might make sense for Cashman all wear White Sox uniforms.

With Nolasco seemingly gone, Cashman better hope Mariano can persuade Andy to return for one more go-around.

Stay home Andy. Watch the Yanks from the safety of your home.

• bexarama says:

It’s not like Andy’s been involved in any crazy media frenzy with the Yankees before. The Yankees aren’t ever involved in stupid overblown media frenzies. Not like he had to deal with all the A-Rod stuff in ST 2009, or Andy himself was named on the Mitchell Report. Oh wait.

And after all that, you want Andy to stay home? Because that’ll make the team better, and all.

• FIPster Doofus says:

“I can’t blame Andy if he decides he can’t do it. Would he really want to come back to a situation where the media will be going nuts over CC’s impending opt-out decision, DJ’s decline, Arod’s decline, an uncertain catching situation, and a certain divisional opponent welcoming the talents of Adrian Gonzalez into the mix. Ugh.”

Woe is us.

34. Jimmy McNulty says:

Anyone else think that the Dayton Moore screwed himself in the Greinke trade? I mean, Oddorzzi is pretty good and all…but Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain aren’t all that great. I know it was Escobar’s first full season in the bigs at age 23, but a 67 OPS+? Gross. I’m surprised that Dayton Moore didn’t call up the Yankees and ask them if they’d be willing to top that package, not that it’d take much to do.

• bonestock94 says:

I don’t think Dayton Moore will be able to maximize the potential of that epic farm due to idiocy.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

I agree with most of your comment. That being said, we don’t know he didn’t call (do we? I saw Heyman’s tweet saying Greinke was not scared of NY, but some fam was).

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I mean, how many of those guys are top 100 prospects? Is Jeffries even still included (he’s also one substance abuse arrest away from being banned for life, anyways) Oddorzzi is the only guy that can be even lose to a top 100 guy. I still think that for a guy like Greinke you ought to be able to do better than that.

• Avi says:

Escobar was like #12 in Baseball America’s top 100 coming into 2010. Odorizzi will be in the top 100 too. Cain isn’t and I doubt Jeffress will be. Jeffress reminds me of Bobby Jenks when he was in the minors in that he throws 100 MPH, has major control issues and questions about his makeup. Base case scenario he puts it all together and becomes a Jenks. He can also perhaps more likely become Mike Macdougal, or worse Colt Griffin.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Escobar had a 67 OPS+, he’s like the combination of all the good qualities between Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena. Granted that’s a starter, but I think that’s more of a secondary piece in a deal for Zack Greinke not the head liner.

As far as Jeffress goes, one more arrest and he’s done. So unless he goes Josh Hamilton I have quite a few concerns about him.

• Reggie C. says:

There are only a few organizations possessing that combo of quality SS + CF prospects, while pitting the pitching prospects as the complementary pieces.

The NYY lacked both. TB has Desmond Jennings but i can’t blame Moore for not being too impressed with Tim Beckham. The Cubs would never part with Starlin Castro; Brett Jackson couldn’t headline that package alone.

For what Moore wanted, few teams lined up well. Lets not forget Odorizzi is also a quality pitching prospect. If he were on the Yanks, Odorizzi would make the top 5.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I like Odorizzi, but I’d take Montero, Sanchez, and the Bs over him. When your team sucks as hard as the Royals you need improvement everywhere, not just “up the middle.”

• Avi says:

Yeah no question Jimmy. No one in the deal other than Odorizzi has star upside, and he’s 2-3 years away. I’d be shocked if Cain, Escobar and Jeffress are ever all-stars. Jeffress can be as a reliever but the odds are against it.

• Avi says:

I think Odorizzi comes in at #6 in the Yankee system behind Jesus, Sanchez and the B’s and ahead of Romine, Noesi etc.

• bobtaco says:

He could have been, the Yankees drafted Cole ahead of him…

• Avi says:

Yeah, he didn’t get any high end talent. Oddorzi is the guy I like most in the deal but the B’s are better prospects than he is, they’re closer to being big league ready. Klaw had a write up today about the deal that I liked. He pretty much said they took their “once in a decade talent” and didn’t get much for it. He compared it to the Beltran deal when they only got Mark Teahan and John Buck (and Chris Getz). He also said how three out of the four come with substantial risk. Cain is a speed guy who had a serious knee injury in ’09, Escobar has had off the field problems and doesn’t get along with his coaches and Jeffress has had multiple suspensions due to drug use.
      Escobar was very highly regarded going into the season by Baseball America but only because of his glove really. I think it’s pretty stupid for a GM to limit what he’ll take to specific postions like Moore did. Get the best players available and sort it out later

• Reggie C. says:

Escobar is a solid pick-up for KC. Escobar’s glove will put DJ to shame, and though Escobar had a rough go at it at the plate, he’s shown solid OBP in the last couple years down in the Brewers’ farm.

The haul isn’t a stunner, but Escobar is a quality, young player. Cain…i’m less impressed over.

However, at the end of the day, Moore got his “up-the-middle talent.”

• Jimmy McNulty says:

It’s stupid. Escobar is a glove guy…whoopiety fucking do. His career high slugging in the minors was .437 and career high OBP was .363 color me unimpressed. Yeah, he’s better than Eduardo Nunez, but I’m under the impression that the guy who leads the haul for a Zack Greinke should be able to double Eduardo Nunez’s production, at the very least.

• Avi says:

Nah, Escobar never really showed good OBP skills at all. He never walked more than 36 times in a season despite having a lot of PA’s in each of his last 3 seasons in professional ball. He’s really Nunez with a better glove, perhaps elite glove.

35. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Bexy,

I love you. It’s been way too long since I’ve told you.

K byez

36. Ivan says:

Wow just terrible play calling by the packers at the goal line.

37. brian g says:

definitely loved el duque. a girl i know that i turned into a big yankees fan for awhile during that awesome era named her cat El Duque. so awesome.

i’d pretty much give anything for one of those big cut out displays of him. there was one of zimmer and cone too i think. adidas ads?…..

38. mustang says:

“The Marlins and Ricky Nolasco have agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $26.5MM.”

Take another one off the old trade board.

39. kosmo says:

El Duque was a great competitor.he won his first 8 postseason decisions until finally losing to the Mets in 2000 although he pitched a good game.I remember his 1-hit 7 inning gem against the Braves in the 1999 WS.I could go on and on.9-3 in the postseason covering over 100 innings with a 2.55 ERA.

Does anyone remember “El Duquecito“ Adrian Hernandez ?

40. thony3007 says:

El duque is negotiating with a Panamanian amateur team (Herrera province). It’s and amateur baseball league with some players that we’ve seen in the show. Ramiro Mendoza, Davis Romero, Rafael Medina, Roger Deago. It’s also the start point of the carreers of some good players like Carlos Lee, Bruce Chen, Manny Corpas, Manny Acosta, Ruben Tejada (Ny Mets secondbaseman), Ruben Rivera, and… you know… Mariano Rivera, among others.

Oh, Mo started playing for the Panama’s Metropolitan team as shortstop. Have you realized how good is he fielding?