Dec

The RAB Radio Show: December 13, 2010

Hey, it’s the day Cliff Lee might or might not choose his team. Let’s hope that it’s not Groundhog Day tomorrow. But don’t blame Lee for taking his time. It’s not as though he’s going on a league-wide tour and announcing his decision on ESPN. He’s just a guy who’s taking his time with a major life decision. Well, that, and he’s trying to extract every last dollar out of the deal. Can you really blame him?

One thing this isn’t doing is holding up the Yanks’ winter. I don’t think any of the Lee backup plans are time sensitive, and truth told there might not be that heavy a backup plan. And so we wait.

But could they at least throw us a bone with a Russell Martin signing? Is that too much to ask?

Podcast run time 17:27

Here’s how you can listen to podcast:

• Download the RAB Radio Show by right clicking on that link and choosing Save As.
  • Listen in your browser by left clicking the above link or using the embedded player below.
  • Subscribe in iTunes. If you want to rate us that would be great. If you leave a nice review I’ll buy you a beer at a meet-up.

Intro music: “Smile” by Farmer’s Boulevard used under a Creative Commons license

Categories : Podcast

1. DJH says:

Cashman had a few Lee related comments on ESPN NY.

Still, Cashman said, “I would think today’s gotta be the day.”

“I don’t like this perception that we’re confused or disoriented or we don’t know what we’re doing,” Cashman said. “We have contingency plans in the event they decide to go another way.”

Cashman said he still had no idea whether Andy Pettitte, at home in Texas contemplating retirement, would return in 2011. “We’ll get someone,” he said. “It’s just a matter of what level of someone. I like our chances next year, with or without Cliff Lee.”

2. icebird753 says:

It’s just me, but I feel Lee taking his time is ominous for the Yankees. That’s probably just paranoia though.

• mbonzo says:

I liked reading Olney reporting that Braunecker contacted the Yankees this morning. Seems like good news to me.

Also, anyone think Heyman might have something worked out with Braunecker? Seems like he’s getting the most inside news on this, but he’s really pushing this mystery team thing. It might be to just get readers, but I wouldn’t put it past him to trade Braunecker inside and breaking news on the deal for some reporting on a mystery team. I wouldn’t think anything was wrong here but every other reporter is saying how ridiculous a mystery team is.

3. OldYanksFan says:

How about trading for Matt Garza? I think he’s a FA next year.

4. mike says:

Lee is holding up other signings. The Yankees were in on Downs and Choate and they both are close or signed already with other teams. I’m pretty sure they aren’t siging Martin yet cause they might not need him if we get Lee, but if we dont we could use Martin as the starter

• Fair Weather Freddy says:

Yanks were not in on Downs cause he’s a Type A free agent and would have cost them a draft pick they were not willing to lose. Choate should have no bearing on what Lee does.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Choate said he was negotiating with three teams in addition to the Marlins. Hopefully the Yanks are in on that. I don’t think your calculation on Martin is correct. Signs point to the Yanks wanting him regardless of the Lee situation.

• AndrewYF says:

If you really think Cliff Lee is holding up the Yankees committing to contracts that are in the low single-digits of millions of dollars, you’re wrong.