Dec

Yanks eyeing Wood for the right price

Kerry Wood’s name hasn’t come up too often this winter. The Yanks’ midseason acquisition pitched great for the Bombers in 24 games. He went 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA (and a still-impressive 3.39 FIP) in 26 innings. He struck out 31 and walked just 18, and most assumed that, since Wood wanted to close and wanted closer money, he wouldn’t be back with the Yanks.

This evening, we learn that the Yanks talked to Wood’s people today. The team, says Hoch, would love to have Wood return, but GM Brian Cashman said any offer from the Yanks “won’t compete with closer money.” If the market for Wood shrivels up, a welcome return to the Bronx for this potent bullpen arm could be in order.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. pat says:

Excellent. I loved having him in the pen. An experienced veteran who still has awesome stuff and the balls to throw his pitches with conviction. Joba could learn something from him.

2. Sean C says:

I like the idea of signing Wood over other free agent bullpen candidates since he’ll only cost money. Even if he was “playing for a contract” down the stretch with the Yanks, he had some FILTHY stuff in those games. I’d love to have it back in the Yankee ‘pen.

3. Josh says:

“just” 18. isn’t that a lot considering the innings and pretty high for the k/bb ratio? unless, of course there’s some sarcasm.

• Neil says:

I wondered the same thing but he gives up so few hits (14 in his 26 Yankee innings) that his whip was still only 1.23 for his time with the Yankees and 1.26 for his career. Plus he has that nasty curve and cutter to get out of the jams he does create.

• I was being utterly sarcastic. The walk rate is alarming. That’s why there’s such a discrepancy between his ERA and his FIP.

4. dennis says:

what teams need closers and would pay wood?
    Orioles,jays, white sox? angels, brewers.

5. candyforstalin says:

no, no, no, no, no, no, NO.

6. JerseyDutch says:

Would love to see Wood back on the team next year. The Wood/Mo combo was pretty potent.

7. bexarama says:

If the market for Wood shrivels up
    Yanks eyeing Wood for the right price

(snickers)
    (Guys, it’s been a trying day with this Andy stuff. Let me be immature.)

8. Accent Shallow says:

Couldn’t hurt, but that walk rate was tough.

9. Evilest Empire says:

The Yankees are going to have a pretty darn tight budget after Lee’s deal is done. I’d prefer to have Kerry Wood over a FA bench guy, but I think that’s the type of money Cashman is going to have to play with.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah. IF Lee’s shooting towards the erth moon which it seems like he is now the Yankees will be tight on money if they truly want to stay at near the 210 mark.

If it’s taking this long Cash isn’t going to give a blank check as he did CC.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Since sicne I just heard about the Andy news from staying under a rock aka my job I take this back. If Wood can be had for 4 mil he can be had.

• Evilest Empire says:

yeah that’s a good point. Losing Andy does free up some cash, though some or all of it needs to go back into replacing him.

10. Reggie C. says:

Wood should get at least 1 better offer than that which Cashman is willing to make. I’m not concerned though. I like Wood and he’d be an asset to most ‘pens. I just don’t think its a good allocation of Cashman’s energies given the uncertainty of Pettitte’s return.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Right. Relievers may be the next Mo next year and then theyll suck the following year. Like Brad Lidge. If Wood wants clsoer money, Cash should let him walk.

11. Kiersten says:

I thought this was a family site?

12. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

Interest in Wood firm, market for Wang softens.

13. Monteroisdinero says:

Everything depend$ on Lee. If he doesn’t sign with us, any interest in spending some of the money on Soriano to lock down the 8th until Mariano retires and he could take over?