Dec

Yanks have had internal talks about Manny Ramirez

Via Jack Curry, the Yankees have had some internal discussions about Manny Ramirez, who would fit a need as a right-handed hitting outfielder. Outfielder being a relatively loose term, in this case. Curry adds that the team was just doing its due diligence more than anything, and a deal with Manny is less likely than a reunion with Johnny Damon.

I took a look at Manny a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that there wasn’t a fit. He can still hit, but not nearly as well as he did in his prime. Plus he’s never been a part-time player in his career, and that will take some adjusting to on his part. I just think the Yankees can land someone a little more flexible, and probably cheaper as well (coughScottHairstoncough).

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Jerome S. says:

I think Manny Ramirez is just a name at this point; as you said, there’s probably players out there who are of equal value and are much cheaper.

• David Nelson says:

If you are going to spend 2-3M on a right-handed bat (Marcus Thames and others), imagine spending the same $ plus some $ for incentives and have Manny as that right-handed bat. Just having him as a threat in the middle of that line-up occasionally would prove its worth. The man can still hit and with his Washington Heights NY roots would definitely fire up the fans with flags and a boisterous attitude. Would be a great insurance policy if Jorge were to get hurt. That would be a helluva lineup with Manny in there somewhere.

2. jramey says:

I don’t get the Scott Hairston love..

3. tomaconda says:

Id take Manny in a New York minute! Give him 250-300 at bats and I think he would be a huge asset!

4. Xstar7 says:

The thought of Manny in pinstripes is interesting. But it’s not going to happen. Ever.

5. Slappy White says:

Pleeeeease No Manny

6. ZZ says:

I think Manny Ramirez would outhit Scott Hairston even if he decided to bat from the left side for the entire season.

7. Mike Myers says:

Mike,

Im beginning to think you have a man crush on Scott.

8. James says:

Can we let Manny go back on the juice first? I think that would be a big help for his power numbers.

9. Mike Myers says:

Just to let manny get 60 at bats vs the sox next season would be worth it. The tv ratings would be huge (help pay for his salary) and you know he would crush the sox. Manny is not motivated often, but when he is, mannyville is a monster.

10. Mike says:

Manny could out hit Scott in his sleep …Say what you will about Manny .. but he’s still in great shape . .and can still RAKE .

11. camilo Gerardo says:

maybe if Jorge wasn’t under contract, but alas..

12. OXXBOW says:

Forget it.

13. Steve H says:

It’s not a fit but I wish it was. Manny is awesome.

14. James says:

Just say the Yankees do sign Manny, what would the batting order look like?

15. hogsmog says:

But Manny loves to sit around and goof off; he’s got bench player written all over him!

In all seriousness, I really want both Hairston brothers, because I think it would make a CUTE BENCH. Also a sick bench, I guess.

16. bonestock94 says:

Ugh, no thanks

17. Maris61 says:

Manny in the Bronx?
    No thonx.

18. solamon says:

forget about manny he’s done let’s sign damon he’s younger and he’s better

• Mike HC says:

Definitely prefer Damon to Manny at this point. And I bet 90% of the Yankee players and clubhouse do too. I actually hope we end up with Damon although it is probably a long shot.

19. miketotheg says:

I think manny knows he’s at the dawn of his career and I think he would love to finish his career in nyc, he grew up in wash heights. He’s the kind of player, with pride on the line, blows everyone away. Como se dice “clutch”

And if we sign him and damon, while the red sox outspent us in the offseason but we still take it all . . . .

He’s gotta get a haircut tho.
    My two cents. Merry christmas RAB and everybody.

20. Mike HC says:

Definitely stay away from Manny. That can only backfire considering the limited role we want him to play. The downside is far greater than the upside and the Yanks don’t need a PR attraction. We paid Jeter and ARod like 100 million extra dollars between the two to be the attractions.

• miketotheg says:

If everybody knows they are competeing for playing time, everybody steps up their game. That’s the way it should be. There are too many “guaranteed spots” in the line up. Who wouldn’t want to see posada and manny going on a tear for playing time. if manny doesn’t work out, trade him to the pirates for a lefty relief pitcher. Its win win.

• Mike HC says:

Definitely a solid point. I just think Manny is kind of unstable and unpredictable and can cause more PR problems and just a shitty attitude, than actually help things by adding competition. Personally, I’m not the biggest Brett Gardner fan in the world even before the wrist surgery, although I loved the regular season he put together last year. So having Manny as LF insurance would be nice. I just don’t think LF, DH competition is enough upside, but just my opinion.

• gmrich says:

Like the Pirates would want him, no Manny to the Yankees, he’s a bum, look at his stats last year, they sucked, and he would be a disruption to the team chemistry, Manny does what Manny wants to do, he will not toe the line like all the other players.

21. dean says:

They should sign the Hairston bros, hope Pettitte comes back and sign somebody for the bullpen and i think we should be good. We won 95 games last year with aj having a horrible year. He can only get better numbers not worse, i expect another year close to 100 wins. Why would we expect anything else?

• hogsmog says:

Because it’s very likely that we do not sign Pettitte, and not guaranteed that AJ will have a bounceback year. There are two other strong contenders in the AL east, versus this past year, where the Sox were never really a threat.

I, myself, think that we won’t do as well as 2010, but will probably still make the playoffs (where anything can happen). However, I think a lot of the concerns people have are legitimate.

• Dean says:

Can aj really get any worse? You have to expect a bounceback year, dude can still pitch. And lets say Pettitte does comeback, then i think we can be as good if not better next year.Especially since the rays lost some key players.

• gmrich says:

I am energized by what has happened, and that all you idiots are panicking, I think this team will be better, I think Nova will be better, and the bullpen to me looks strong, the starting piching has 4 good starters, with Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, and Nova, it will be strong, then find a 5th starter, that’s the only thing, the lineup is still strong except for Granderson, he is a bum, and the bench I think will be better, you have Nunez, and Pena in the infield, I would rather go with Golston, and Colin Curtis, instead of the Hairstons, me I want them to use the prostects, not bring washed up has beens who never were, and stop using money to fill needs, use your system, the Yankees did it from the 1920′s to the 1960′s, it will work again.

22. LarryM.,Fl. says:

better off flushing the money down the toilet.

23. Jerome S. says:

if we’re gonna get manny, we might as well get Pedro too.
    Hell, let’s just buy the 2004 Red Sox; Kevin Millar, anyone?

24. Bill in Boston says:

As a lifelong Red Sox fan I would love to see Manny in pinstripes!!!

25. cranky says:

Thames?
    Manny?
    Hairston?

All bad choices, for varying reasons.

Good choice?

Andruw Jones. Why’s he getting no love?
    In 2010, he had an .OPS against lefties of .931.
    He hit 8 homeruns in about 100 ABs.
    He played LF/CF/RF.
    He played for less than a million dollars.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

• jsbrendog says:

because after the 2nd week in may he was worse than yuniesky betancourt almost. dude’s goose is cooked

• danimal says:

Mendoza line. He is not trending well. He will be at or below .240 BA next year. Do we really want a guy who gets on base at that clip? He’s a guaranteed out 1/4 of the time.

I’d take Manny any day over Andruw Jones. I agree, stick a fork in him.

• cranky says:

Andruw Jones:

vs. LHP, 2010: .OBP=.373

Marcus Thames:

vs. LHP, 2010: .OBP=.352

Didn’t this blog just post that Thames was “awesome” in 2010? Or was it that Thames was, merely, “very valuable?”
          And Andruw Jones can play some D.

• danimal says:

In my ridiculous Christmas Eve stupor I forgot that there are things called walks that affect OBP.

Thanks for helping me remember.

I still think he’s a liability. I’d see him a lot like an OF Betemit. Great power, pretty good defense, but not doing much from an average standpoint.

26. Jay says:

The only thing manny will provide is trouble.

27. Midland TX says:

Pass on Manny, thanks. We already have a DH.

28. Max says:

I think that Damon would be better than Manny. Damon are more disciplinary and he was very helpful in 2009 World Serie championship. Let give him another opportunity. Then, Manny don’t care about NY while Damon does. So, who do you like someone? Would you like Manny who gonna play just for the money or someone like Damon who play for the love he feel about NY?