Jan

Fan Confidence Poll: January 10th, 2011

Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Bryan L says:

I could be wrong but didn’t Heyman say they were still interested in Soriano?

2. AndrewYF says:

Unless Sabathia gets injured, then I’m a 4.

3. bonestock94 says:

3/5th’s of our rotation has the strong possibility of sucking.

• AndrewYF says:

This is the case for 4 out of 5 teams in the AL East.

• bonestock94 says:

Good point

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I think you could make it a clean 5 for 5.

• AndrewYF says:

I really like the Rays’ rotation.

David Price – no explanation needed.
          James Shields – sure he sucked last year, but he still had a 3.67 K/BB ratio – he’s a rock-solid starter to me
          Jeremy Hellickson – Beast.
          Jeff Niemann – doesn’t really have room to improve, but makes a capable 4th starter.
          Wade Davis – Damn fine 5th starter.
          Then they have a glut of very capable BOR-type starters behind these guys. This is what actual depth looks like (not the historic depth with crappy guys like Smoltz and Penny that Boston tried to pass off in 2009).

The rest of the Rays’ team, though? Blech.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Catchy nicknames aside, shouldn’t you wait just a tad longer before calling Jeremy Hellickson a “beast”. Let’s see him for more than a month before we dub him a Cy Young candidate.

• AndrewYF says:

I didn’t necessarily call him a Cy Young candidate, I just happen to think that he’s a great bet to be an above-average pitcher at the age of 23, and then go on to great things from there. To me, that’s pretty beastly.

From what I’ve seen and heard, the kid’s an amazing pitcher.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

My point was that he really is a question mark for this year, just like Ian Kennedy was a question mark going into 2008.
                Will he be better than IPK? He almost has to be. But to say he isn’t a question mark is a bit short sighted.

• AndrewYF says:

The qualification wasn’t ‘question mark’, it was ‘strong possibility of sucking’.

Also, equating prospect-Ian Kennedy to prospect-Jeremy Hellickson is like comparing Jimmy Rollins to Hanley Ramirez.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Why do you say that? What does Hellickson do that is so much better than IPK?

• AndrewYF says:

Erm, pretty much everything. He’s a better pitching prospect in every way. He’s probably the number 2 prospect in all of baseball.

Kennedy was never that talented.

4. Monteroisdinero says:

Pitching/aging 6

Jesus coming 10

5. Yank the Frank says:

A solid 6. The fact that we are not panicing with our questionable rotation is a good sign. We should be able to pick up a few better arms during ST or get a nice surprise from one of our in-house guys, keep close and then make a move at the trade deadline.

6. Domenic says:

Seven for me.

As it stands, the Yankees offense stands to improve a bit, as I believe that Jeter, Rodriguez, and Posada will bounce back a bit, and I hope that Granderson’s late season improvement will hold steady through 2011 – that should off-set any decline by Swisher and Cano (both of whom I’m fairly confident in).

In terms of pitching, I feel like Sabathia and Hughes can repeat (or improve upon) their 2010 seasons. Burnett will improve, though I’m not quite sure how much – though, he’s a pitcher tailor-made for Rothschild. After that I’m a bit worried, but I’m hopeful that Pettitte will come back. I feel good about the bullpen, for what it’s worth.

And I’m really excited about the farm system. They have some pitchers that are close to ready to contribute (Phelps, Noesi), a few that could make a big jump this year (Banuelos, Betances, Brackman), and a couple of high-end relievers in the pipeline (Kahnle).

7. NJY says:

Whoa, after a weekend of not visiting the site, please tell the new folks to shorten up those posts….

8. JFH says:

aging ss and 3b. a very shaky rotation.

not feeling to great about the pinstripes this year. the farm gets good reviews by many. but, help from the farm is an unknown variable until it is major league tested.

9. Frank says:

6. Long term, I’m excited about the players who are coming. As for this coming season, based primarily on the current pitching staff, I’m not all that confident this team will make the playoffs. But I’m OK with a transition season.

10. hogsmog says:

They will make the playoffs. How they do there depends on if they can find another good pitcher somewhere down the line- no matter how good CC is, he can only throw two games a series.

11. Danimal says:

I voted a 7 because:

I haven’t heard a solid reason why, under the circumstances, Joba hasn’t even been considered for the 4th starter job. Yeah, his stuff “just isn’t the same”…

I’m just not buying it.

• They could know something about his shoulder injury that we don’t. Maybe they just didn’t like his attitude or work ethic, things fans aren’t privy to. I hope it’s something like that, because just blatantly wasting his talent like they are now would be pretty stupid.

• Danimal says:

I guess that’s the part that frustrates me the most. Even if Cash were to just say… “yeah, dude’s shoulder is basically hamburger, he can’t pitch a full game.” That would be enough for me.

Of course that would diminish his value, and you don’t ever want to do that… I get that too.

So with many of the major Yankee bloggers beating the Joba drum, I’m still with them.

Let’s hope there’s a good reason.

• Mike HC says:

Count me among the ones who continue to bang the Joba drum. More drumming can’t hurt and maybe it will finally get through to the Yanks brass. We can only hope.

12. Elvin says:

7. I still believe the yankees are top 5 in the major league. Yes we do have question marks on the rotation and maybe a question mark at SS, but which team doesn’t now-a-days??

13. Elvin says:

14. Mike HC says:

I’m at a low nine. If it were only a confidence poll for the upcoming season, I would more of a 7 or 8. But as overall future goes, we still have a decent financial advantage, although seemingly shrinking, and an excellent farm system. Gotta be pretty confident in the Yanks ability to continue to field at top 5ish team for a long time.

15. Sean C says:

8. Could the rotation be improved? Always. I like the idea of CC/Hughes anchoring the rotation, with AJ hopefully on a regression to some norms, and the young guys at the back end of the rotation. It’ll be a good test of the patience for a generally impatient group of fans. I think Zen baseball will get a fine test this season. Offensively, I feel great about the team. Aside from needing bouncebacks from Jeter (and A-Rod and Tex), which is certainly possible, this is a top five offense. We add a league-average to better-than league-average SP, I’ll go 9. If I have to wait until the summer for that to happen, so be it. I just desperately want Yankee baseball back. I hate the winter, haha.

• Tony says:

I am at a 5 right now.

Going into a season with 3 starters at this point.
      Filling in those spots with Nova & ?
      ALOT has to go right for us to contend next year.

While I know our lineup will hit and Tampa is depleted, I say we will battle for a wildcard spot this year.
      I beleive this to be a transition year as we allow our young guys to have a shot (Montero,Nova,Brackman, Noesi)

• Dalelama says:

In a moment of optimism I said 7. I think if we catch a few breaks we will squeak into the playoffs. Maybe Arod will earn his fat contract this year to offset the mediocre pitching. It will also help if Tex can give us a whole season for a change.