Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- We heard that the Yankees were close to a deal with Andruw Jones early in the week, and we finally got word of the agreement on Thursday. It’s a one-year contract worth $2M, and it includes a bunch of incentives as well.
- Rafael Soriano was officially introduced as a Yankee, but during his press conference we found out that the team had some discussions with then-free agent pitcher Carl Pavano. If it wasn’t for his disastrous first stint in New York, he’d probably be a Yankee right now.
- Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and Boone Logan all avoided arbitration by agreeing to one-year contracts worth $2.7M, $1.4M, and $1.2M, respectively. All of the team’s arbitration-eligible players are now under contract.
- Kevin Millwood was mentioned as a rotation option, and the Yanks maintain interest in Freddy Garcia.
- Luis Vizcaino will be out for the next three-to-four months with a broken ankle. Russell Martin blamed his recent struggles on off-the-field “distractions.”
- Two division rivals made some notables move last week. The Rays signed both Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez, while the Blue Jays managed to unload Vernon Wells‘ entire contract on the Angels.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)