Jan

Hughes, Joba, Logan all agree to one year deals

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have avoided arbitration with both Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain. The former gets $2.7M, the latter $1.4M. I had Hughes getting around $3.5M and Joba about $1.8M, so I clearly need to sharpen my arb skills. Both players were eligible for arbitration for the first time, and they’re still pretty underpaid compared to what they’d get on the open market.

Update: Boone Logan signed for $1.2M according to Heyman. I pegged him for a $1M salary or so. Unlike Hughes and Joba, it was Logan’s second time up for arbitration, though he’s a Super Two and gets four cracks at the process.

These three plus Sergio Mitre were the only Yankees eligible for arbitration this winter. Mitre signed back in December, so it all got taken care of without a hearing(s). Good stuff.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. PaulF says:

Good deals.

2. Kiersten says:

$1.4MM? That’s a steal for a fourth starter.

/stillholdingouthope’d

3. JGS says:

Ok, Yankees. Joba has agreed to a contract paying him reliever money. Now go make him a starter.

/dead horse

• Mike Axisa says:

Look at Hughes’ salary, they saved about $1.3M by keeping Joba in the pen. They weren’t hurting his development for $1.3M.

• JGS says:

Oh, I know. I’m just irrationally grasping at straws here.

• Ed says:

I think being in the bullpen hurts the players value more than you give it credit for when looking at arbitration values.

I think Hughes had his salary knocked back due to the short track record as a full time starter, and Joba’s time as a starter wasn’t really being considered for his amount.

As for JGS’s comment, I don’t think he was referring to the past. I think he’s saying that now that Joba agreed to a contract at reliever money, they can go ahead and say they’re putting him in the rotation next year knowing that they saved a little money by delaying the announcement.

I also don’t think he really believes they’re going to do that, nor do I, but if they really were going to have him start, that’s how I’d do it.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Maybe the 5th starter competition really was a competition and to save money the loser is pegged bullpen for life just to save some money.

I mean they did want to save a million by cutting Bruney. But yeah Joba really has no shot with the FO.

• Midland TX says:

4. Monteroisdinero says:

$2.7MM for a #2 is the steal. Glad Phil still lives with his mom and dad and doesn’t have a mortgage. A far cry from Jeter’s 30,000 sq ft home in Tampa and 5 million dollar apt in NYC.

5. B-Rando says:

Good signings all around.

6. Monteroisdinero says:

1.4 M buys a lot of beer for the single man. Spend it on a personal trainer Joba!

7. Chris says:

Were numbers ever exchanged between the two sides?

8. J.R. says:

Wow, this really shows how much they dis trusted Wang.

• radnom says:

Why is that? This is just a one year deal to avoid arb, not an extension. If Hughes gets injured this year they could non-tender him the same as Wang two offseasons ago.

9. Kaywizz22 says:

Anyone know what the payroll is now after Soriano and these deals?

10. scooter10 says:

I have the payroll unofficially at $190m. This does not include Marte or Igawa who will not on the 25-man roster on opening day. Nor does it include the 3 and under players (Gardner, Roberston, Pena, Cervelli). Figure another $2m for these guys.

11. LarryM.,Fl. says:

Joba should be pissed in his compensation as compared to Hughes which is insome part based on the Yankee mismanagement of his progress with the Joba Rules. If he’s not injured the Yanks would be doing an injustice to his career by not putting him the rotation. If he’s being protected because of injury then leave him in the bullpen. Sign Millwood and have Nova as our long relief until he can pitch with runners on base and with confidence 4 or more innings in a game.

You need to get to the 7 inning with a tie or lead before the bullpen can save anything!

12. aRX says:

$2.8M almost seems like an insult…I guess I really need to read up on the arbitration process.