Jan

Kevin Long planning to work with Jeter before camp

Via Pete Caldera, hitting coach Kevin Long is planning to work with Derek Jeter before Spring Training officially gets underway. K-Long’s done some great things in recent years, but I’m not sure if even he knows the cure for “36-year-old shortstop.” Meanwhile, Long mentioned that the team is not married to a batting order for 2011, saying that the team will instead “toy with it.” I like it.

Categories : Asides

1. Yyzz says:

Can’t Long just bat for Jeter?

2. CP says:

Well, 35-year-old shortstop was pretty darn good, so it’s not like it’s impossible.

• LarryM.,Fl. says:

Quiet Jeter’s hands down and shorten the swing and I agree he dropped .61 points in a year. He can be fixed if he allows it.

3. 2011 lineup (my dream will never die):

CF Granderson
    SS Jeter
    3B Rodriguez
    2B Cano
    1B Teixeira
    RF Swisher
    DH Posada
    C Martin/Montero
    LF Gardner

• Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

i love this lineup the only thing i wish jeter stops grounding into so many double plays.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I don’t like Granderson leading off. With the exception of 2007-08, he has never been that adept at getting on base. Unless last season’s .383 OBP proves to be a giant fluke, Gardner should lead off. I’d hit Swisher second, but that’s a pipe dream. Jeter has the No. 2 spot locked down.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Our 2nd worst hitter will hit in the most important spot?

• Mattchu12 says:

My only tweak is that if we’re getting second half Granderson, I’d bat him seventh and swap him with Posada against left handed starters.

If it’s first half Granderson, I bat him ninth and Gardner leads off.

• Mattchu12 says:

Gardner leads off in both lineups I mean.

• scooter10 says:

Against righties, I would like to see Gardner/Granderson in the 1-2 spot. Against lefties, Jeter/Swisher.

• Mattchu12 says:

While that is probably a good idea, I’m not sure we’ll ever see Jeter not in the 1 or 2 spot. I used to hope and hope for a Gardner-Swisher-Teixeira-Cano situation last year, can you imagine that OBP set-up for Robbie? But Jeter will never bat 7, 8, or 9.

• Cuso says:

Cano is the prototypical #3 hitter. If Girardi moves him out of the #5 spot, it will absolutely only be to the #3 spot. Trying to make Cano into a clean-up hitter where singles are not whats expected of him would mess with his game. He’ll get his 30hrs if he stays with his approach – that being his ability to just line some singles through 3b/ss hole when opposing pitchers decide to stay out of his happy zone. A-Rod is still the cleanup hitter….period.

That said, I bet Girardi goes with tex at 3, Cano at 5 for one more year. The change I’d expect to see is Gardner getting more time at leadoff, and moving Jeter back to the 2-hole.

4. Peedlum says:

Jeter’s not getting any younger, but no one ever seems to bring up that his BAbip last year was 49 points below his career average and the lowest of his career. Probably related to his line drive percentage falling and his ground ball/fly ball percentage increasing, but he’s always been heavy on the ground balls so there’s hope.

5. Dan says:

Are we trying to win or not?

Unless Jeter stumbles into the fountain of youth at spring training he bats 8 or 9. We need to score runs and keep rallies going. Ego be damned. His skills of last year are not top of the order skills. If he is really the captain, he should have no trouble doing what is right for the team, not what is right for him.
    We have potentially the best leadoff hitter in the league in Gardner. He has to lead off until he proves he cannot.

6. M says:

If the 2010 Jeter wasn’t a product of nagging injuries and his hands have slowed slightly causing his base hits up the middle to be roll over grounders to short, then K-long will have a simple fix. However, having Jeter start his hands early will cause his Walk rate to decrease and his Strike out rate to increase… I think we have seen the last of Jeter being a .310+ hitter…I think Jeter will adjust and become a solid .280-.295, hitter with on OBP around .330, which does anyone have a problem with that production? I sure don’t

• whozat says:

I do, because having a leadoff hitter with a .330 OBP, little pop, and a tendency to ground into double plays is bad. If he was hitting eighth, it’d be fine. But he won’t

• mike c says:

if he’s going to GIDP that much, wouldn’t you want him batting leadoff so that he’s got less chances to hit with men on base?

• whozat says:

Not if you’re batting Gardner 9th. you want to put Jeter behind someone with power and a lesser OBP. It increases the changes of him batting without someone on first base.

7. UYF1950 says:

As a long time Yankee fan I have to say my ideal batting order would be:
    Gardner – Lefty
    Swisher – Switch Hitter
    Cano – Lefty
    ARod – Righty
    Tex – Switch Hitter
    Granderson – Lefty
    Posada (DH) – Switch Hitter
    Martin/Montero – Both Righty
    Jeter – Righty

But a previous poster was right. Jeter won’t be moved that far down in the line up at least not in 2011.

• Monteroisdinero says:

agree with this. The biggest thing to work on is Jeter’s pride which will be a non-starter. He should bat 9th now and Gardy should bat leadoff every game if for no other reason than he takes a ton of pitches and that helps other batters know what kind of stuff the opposing pitcher has on that day. I was in the minority throughout the Jeter contract talks but I didn’t want to sign him for the money and would have spent the money on Crawford (to bat 2nd) and DH Swish and bite the bullet on an aging Posada. Nunez bats 9th. Since none of that happened….we are back to KLong and reversing the aging process. Magic! I hope we are all proven wrong and the Captain rebounds.

8. OldYanksFan says:

Holy shit! We pay Jeter $51m+ and yet he is STILL a thorn in our side?
    I would have given him a choice of 2 contracts.
    1) Bat in the 1-2 spot: 2/$18m
    2) Bat in the 8-9 spot: 3/$51m

Let him pick.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Can’t do this when the inmates run the asylum. I am down on Jeter right now. Paying for the past is a bad business model.

9. Josh says:

should work with tex. d00d loves his prolonged slumps.

10. jfajardo says:

jeter-less doble play
    granderson hit n run
    cano-get more pitches to hit
    a.rod natural cleanup hitter
    tex-great protection
    posada-clutch hitter
    swish-no pressure
    catcher-what ever we get is good
    gardner-good speed at the end

11. YankeeEmpire says:

I would have the following batting order:

1. Gardner-speed
    2. Granderson-speed/some power
    3. Cano-average-power
    4. Rodriguez-some average and power
    5. Texiera-power
    6. Posada-power
    7. Swisher-some power
    8. Jeter-maybe average
    9. Martin-potential power average

12. Wadester says:

I’m not sure if having him work with Kevin Long is gonna make much of a difference. Am I the only one that noticed the fact that every Yankee hitter except for Cano, hit below average last year? Sure, Swisher hit pretty good for a while, and Gardner had his moments. But the linup was stale, to say the least, for most of the year. I guess my point is, the hitting was awful, but the Yankees decided to fire the pitching coach, and pitching is all they had last year! Maybe it should have been the other way around?