Jan

NFC Title Game Open Thread

The NFC Game pits the Packers against the Bears this afternoon, and you’ll be able to see the game at 3pm ET on FOX. Chat about it here if you so desire.

1. Steve H says:

An open thread on RAB about football? Haven’t you heard:

I come here for baseball info, analysis and opinions by writers and many of the posters who I respect.

People coming to this site for baseball thoughts and analysis, which is what the site was founded on, are naturally disappointed to find articles like this posted.

RAB is fantastic but this type of post seriously detracts from the site as a whole. Stick to the baseball guys, it’s what you do best.

you make me hate the weekend
    you have RUINED the WEEKEND!

Please stick with the baseball analysis…

Go Pack, and as much as it pains me to say it, Go Jets.

• bexarama says:

Wait, you’re rooting for the Jets? O_O Why?

• Steve H says:

Don’t want Roethlisberger to get another ring. Other than the Jets being the Pats rivals, I don’t necessarily hate them, or most of their players (with a few big exceptions). I also think the NFC team has a better shot against the Jets than the Steelers, and I will certainly be rooting for the NFC in the Super Bowl. Super Bowl week will be fun with Rex in it, and there’s certainly a chance at a Stanley Wilson, Eugene Robinson or Barrett Robbins moment with the Jets (I wouldn’t wish for it, but it’s a possibility).

• Pat D says:

This is why I can’t really root for the Steelers now. I have no respect for Roethlisberger anymore. I can’t root for the Jets though either as any self-respecting Giants fan, IMO, should not do.

But if Ben gets that 3rd ring, yea it’s gonna make Eli look worse and everyone will probably conveniently forget that Ben is a creep.

• Zack says:

everyone will probably conveniently forget that Ben is a creep
            Just like everyone conveniently forget that Ben has never been found guilty of anythin right?

• Doug says:

Just like everyone hasn’t forgotten that Ben doesn’t know how to back off when a girl hasn’t given permission.

• Pat D says:

True, but when something happens twice, one can begin to wonder about a person’s character.

• Zack says:

You can wonder about anything, but it doesn’t make it true.

• NJYankeeFan says:

Ben didnt do anything wrong. After all it’s normal for a 27 year old professional athlete to follow a drunk 20 year old college girl into the ladies room and post a guard outside the door. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if that happened to your daughter or sister.

• Zack says:

I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if we labeled you or a family member something based on allegations and without a trial.

• NJYankeeFan says:

There was no trial because the police didn’t secure the crime scene and the evidence was destroyed. OJ wasn’t convicted either but no one with half a brain would argue he was not guilty.

• Zack says:

If that’s enough for you to label him as something, then that’s your opinion. I just don’t share it.

See, IMO it doesn’t take half a brain to know that you shouldn’t add to the thought that it’s 100% acceptable to publically convict someone without a trial. But hey, that’s just me.

• Pat D says:

I understand what you’re saying, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of times, where there’s smoke there’s fire.

The first time he was accused I doubted it because of how long after the alleged attack the woman sued him.

Then when it happens again and there’s a lot more details and they all sound very shady, well, it’s hard for someone to not be suspicious.

I also just don’t like the way he’s conducted himself during and since that time. Like he didn’t think there was anything wrong. The whole no helmet motorcycle issue, too, just makes me believe he’s not the smartest guy.

Let me ask you this: if you’re upset with him being convicted in the court of public opinion, are you upset with Dictator Goddell suspending him 6, then 4 games considering he was never convicted or even formally charged of any crime?

• Zack says:

What does Ben not being the smartest guy have to do with it? If he was a smart guy, then we can spin it as Ben’s “coached up there and just doing/saying the right things to manuplate people when he’s really just rich, smart, charismatic, and guilty.”

Yes, I have a problem with Goodell. His suspensions are very inconsistant. Jared Allen somehow had his suspension reduced to 2 games after his 2nd DUI a few years go, others guys don’t get it reduced when it’s appealed, etc.
                      At the same time NFL has a huge problem with arrests, players aren’t getting the message. I’d go 8 games for convcited DUIs (or whatever they can plea it down to). 12 games for convicted domestic abuse, etc. Fines are also an issue, it should be a % of their pay, not just a flat 10-20k.

• Shaun says:

You can be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt if it happens once; like someone else said the timing between the event and the accusation but if your accused again after exposing yourself to the same situation that led to the prior accusation, something isn’t right.

Big Ben went to a college party got drunk and was accused of rape later on. A few months later he went to a college party, got drunk and was accused of rape. Now even if your innocent and are just being falsely accused, that little voice in your head should probably have said “Gee, I keep coming to these college clubs and parties and getting accused of rape….I should really stop going to these and make better decisions about where I spend my free time.”

Innocent or not, if you keep putting yourself in bad situations don’t cry foul when it bites you on the ass.

• Zack says:

And I will admit that I’ve changed my opinion on this over the last year.

• S says:

Being rich and white buys you a ton of lee-way

• Steve H says:

Mark Sanchez has some allegations on him too.

• NJYankeefan says:

Agreed. Rapistberger is a disgrace and along with Vick, he’s an example of how NFL teams will readily sell their souls to the devil for a chance to win.

• Kiersten says:

Other than the Red Sox being the Yanks’ rivals, I don’t necessarily hate them.

Oh wait, yes I do.

• Steve H says:

The Yankees/Sox rivalry is so different than Pats/Jets. Pats/Jets has been relevant for about 15 years. They both sucked for so long, and the Pats have had several other “rivals” in the past 15 years, namely the Colts and Steelers. If Jets/Pats was on the same level as Yankees/Sox I could never root for them, but it’s really not close.

2. Chops says:

Go Bears. The Packers are like the Cowboys light. So many bandwagon fans from people who have never been to Wisconsin in their lives.

3. cano is the bro says:

anyone else here rooting for the packers to lose?

4. SamVa says:

If the Jets win today.. they will have beaten the Colts, Pats, and Steelers to get to the Super Bowl..
    that’s pretty impressive.

… GO JETS….

• Steve H says:

And Manning, Brady and Roethlisberger. If they can beat those 3, then beat Rodgers in the Super Bowl, that would be one of the most amazing runs in history.

5. Turk Turkleton says:

No more Grit posts please.

• SamVa says:

you don’t have any obligation to read them… if you don’t enjoy it, then don’t read it.. but don’t complain about it.

• Poopy Pants says:

It’s a free country (sort of, not really).

• Jerome S. says:

Yeah, exactly, and what’s-his-name can post whatever the hell he wants to.

I’m pretty confident that most people tend to be as ok with these posts as they are with most others, and those opposed are a loud and often rude minority of people.

There is some fallacy out there that two different posts a week is somehow evidence for a slide down a slippery slope into blogging mediocrity. Well if you serious believe that these weekend posts have dramatically eroded the quality of this blog then go read something else. Seriously, what are you going to read, NoMaas?

Most of us happen to like the satire; it’s what we’d fill the comment section with anyway. But just because a few of you can’t handle that kind of radical, revolutionary, extremist, unconstitutional, rabid, anarchistic, only-in-Obama’s-America blog, here’s an alternative:

Nothing all saturday and sunday. then go write your own fucking blog.

I sincerely apologize for that.

• bexarama says:

It is very much a free country, but I am not sure why, in said free country, you would want to both read something you did not like all the way through, and then comment on it. Just my $0.02.

• Turk Turkleton says:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I actually did not read either of the Grit posts. I’ve become way too used to Ben/Mike/Joe’s writing and have not taken to the weekend posts yet. This opinion isn’t based on their writing skills, but on the content. I realize that it’s not realistic to expect pure analytical posts on a daily basis during the offseason. No offense to any of you ahsome Yank fans out there..3 weeks til Pitchers & Catchers!

6. NJYankeefan says:

Let’s go Pack. I’m not a Packers fan but they have the best chance of beating the Steelers and Rapistberger and for the love of god I couldn’t stand to see that slime big Ben holding the Lombardi.

7. Pat D says:

I guess I’m rooting for the Bears because I have two really good friends who are Bears fans.

But then I remember how the Giants dominated them way back in Week 4 and it makes me angry.

I hate football sometimes.

8. It looks as if we might have a 6 seed Super Bowl. I’ve gone 5-3 in my predictions so far, let’s hope I’m right and there’s a Jets-Packers Super Bowl.

9. Jerome S. says:

Is it just me, or is ESPN’s football analysis >>>>> ESPN’s baseball analysis?

• mike hc says:

For some reason, I can’t stand any mainstream media baseball analysts, writers and coverage, in general. Especially espn. But when it comes to hoops and football, espn does a pretty good job in my opinion.

10. bexarama says:

Wow, Jay Cutler. Wow.

11. bonestock94 says:

I hope Jay Cutler gets shut out, an appropriate fate for that douche.

12. Pat D says:

Hey, bex, I saw you’re being impersonated over at No Maas.

Where does this rank in terms of career accomplishments? Has to be pretty high, right?

13. Kevin G. says: