Jan

NY Giants open thread

It’s the final day of the NFL season, and the Giants need a little help to sneak into the playoffs. They need to beat the Redskins (4:15pm ET, FOX) and they need the Packers to lose to the Bears, nothing else will do. Chat about the game here if you like.

1. mike c says:

good luck with that… the pack is looking good so it’s a long shot but who knows. looks like the jets are facing peyton manning next week

2. Poopy Pants says:

Go Pack Go!

3. Slappy White says:

If Colts lose, is Jacksonville in ?

4. Sal says:

Eli Manning…….the AJ Burnett of football.

5. mko says:

Let’s go Packers ;-).

6. Go Cubs Bears!

Go Midgets Giants!

7. bexarama says:

Go Packers! SORRY.

8. Giants better win. Looks like they might.

9. UWS says:

As a Giants fan, allow me to say, “Giants suck!”

Even if they get in, they’ll be bounced in the first round, so really they’ll do us a favor and spare further embarrassment (and 345 more INTs by Eli) if they lose today.

10. Turk Turkleton says:

Go Packers!

It was fun watching the Jets play solid offense & defense, even if it was against the Bills. The backup players were playing their balls off.

11. Hughesus Christo says:

Oh look, another “Eli interception” for dumb people to pull off a box score.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Another angry homer that’s going to cry about his team missing the playoffs.

• Kevin G. says:

Unnecessary shots at another poster. Nice.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

He was taking a shot at me because he was crying his ass off last week trying to defend Eli and his shitty play. He threw four interceptions (three of them were tipped) and this whiny guy was trying to act like tipped interceptions should count as completions for touchdowns, or something.

• Hughesus Christo says:

The tips weren’t obvious enough, so the receiver practically shovel passed the ball to the DB today.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I didn’t watch, nor am I going to comment about the quality of his play. I’d assume it’s the typical Eli Manning, mediocre nothing great, nothing terrible, though.

• mustang says:

He does it a lot gives him some kind of joy I think. I guess whatever floats your boat.

12. Oh crap…

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP)—Baltimore Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon(notes) is the main suspect in a fatal shooting New Year’s Eve in the Dominican Republic, police said Sunday.

The pitcher is suspected of killing 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte and wounding his 17-year-old brother during a celebration in the northeast coastal town of Luperon, police said in a statement. No motive was disclosed. Simon is from the Dominican Republic, and police said he fled after the violence.

If he was indeed involved, what a stupid way to end your baseball career.

13. Zack says:

“Pro Bowler” DeAngelo Hall

14. Jerome S. says:

I’m a Bronco’s fan, so I gave up a while ago.

Anyway, despite the tough odds, wouldn’t a Jets-Giants Superbowl be hilarious insanity? I can see people in Texas going crazy with all the New Yorkers in town.

15. Ivan says:

Detroit Lions: Playoff Bound Next season? If Stafford is injury free, I think they are IMO.

• Jerome S. says:

The year that they structure a good team will be the year that the players strike.

Because God hates the Lions.

• Ivan says:

I mean they got the offense settled especially if Stafford is healthy. Their D is still lagging but they are young. Plus, they won a couple road games something they couldn’t even do in eons. I mean the lions you can mae the arguement could of been 8-8 this season, maybe 9-7.

• Jerome S. says:

Again: Strike. Part of me wants the Lions to do well because it would make a good story, but another part of me wants them to have bad luck because it makes a good story.

16. Jimmy McNulty says:

So who’s going to Eli’s birthday party tomorrow? He’s probably throwing a hell of a party, he’s got plenty of time on his hands now.

17. mustang says:

After loses to the Eagles and Packers can’t say I’m mad about today.

Good luck to the JETS

• Jimmy McNulty says:

A gracious loser, that’s rare in sports fans…especially football fans.

Hats off.

• Pat D says:

I’ll never say good luck to the Jets.

If I had to pick a team to root for in this postseason, I’d go with the Colts, Steelers, Falcons, Chiefs in that order. Every other team can suck it.

18. Hughesus Christo says:

Let’s take a moment to admire the Jets’ growth from 6th seed to 6th seed over the last 12 months. Ladies and gentlemen, the hype was officially justified.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

I hate the Jets, but in fairness to them, the Patriots put together an amazing year, and the other WC team (the Ravens) are pretty good too. The Jets are much improved this year from last…still not good enough, though.

• mustang says:

As a follow Giants fan not good timing dude.

19. Jimmy McNulty says:

So since it’s football and a New York team involved, there’s bound to be a legion of mouthbreathers that want Coughlin fired. I personally don’t think he deserves the ax, if any coach in Landover deserves the ax it’s Shanahan. Gilbride needs to go, and Fewell was a surprisingly good addition…there are better coaches than Coughlin, and maybe like a Jeff Fisher would be a better coach, but that’s about it. I think he deserves another year.

20. Pat D says:

My opinion is that if John Mara wants Bill Cowher to be coach of the Giants, he’d have to make the move now. But he’s already said that Coughlin’s coming back. One more late season collapse and he just has to go. It’s been the same script every year except 2007.

Now let’s see if Cowher takes a job this offseason or not, knowing that he could probably get the Giants job next year.