Jan

Open Thread: 10-0

(AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

I think we all remember Aaron Small and the job he did for the 2005 Yankees, but here’s the interesting thing about that season: he won ten games, but only made nine starts. He didn’t strike anyone out (4.38 K/9), but he kept the walks down (2.84 uIBB/9) so his FIP was rock solid at 3.88 (3.20 ERA). Small did benefit from some major homerun luck though, since his ground ball rate wasn’t spectacular (43..9%) but his 4.5% HR/FB ratio was. His 4.79 xFIP was far more indicative of his true talent level, which he demonstrated in the 2006 season. The Yankees signed Small to a minor league contract six years ago today, and I think it’s safe to say they had no idea how important he would end up being. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we’re thankful for his service.

Here’s your open thread for the evening. The Isles, Knicks, and Nets are all in action tonight, but it’s Friday. Go out an live a little. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

a. I cannot stop laughing at the Angels.
    b. Yay Aaron Small. I will always be fond of him just because of 2005.
    c. Sorry for the multi-post, but I really did think this was very interesting. Again, sorry it’s so long, and I probably should’ve saved this for this open thread, but here ya go:

2. Steve H says:

As @YankeeMegInPHL pointed out on twitter, a year ago the Jays couldn’t get rid of Wells even if they packaged him with the best pitcher in baseball. Now, as the contract balloons, he’s gone. I just don’t get it.

3. Teh Comp Pick says:

Just heard about the Vernon Wells swap. Jaw dropped, cannot believe it. Had to come around these parts to see teh reactions. No matter how you cut it, competing for the division or not, there is no way you can justify this as a good deal is there???? Scosia has always preferred Mathis to Mikey Naps this deal is pretty awful. If I’m an Angels fan I’m devastated.

• Mike HC says:

Maybe after seeing what Werth and Crawford went for they off season, they got so disillusioned they just said f’ it, we are trading for Vernon Wells at 86 million, ha. That is the only thing I could possibly imagine and even that does not make much sense.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Your right about those things plus what I said: They never really liked Napoli it seemed. I’ve always been a fan even if his d sucks. His raw power is very impressive.

4. Rey22 says:

I was doing some homework I have due tonight, then I thought Hm, lemme see what’s up in the baseball world. I went to mlbtraderumors and saw the Vernon Wells trade, now I can’t go back and concentrate cause I keep laughing in disbelief.

5. Dax J. says:

The Angels just continue to amaze me. Thru the offseason they said they were going to spend on the top free agents. They don’t get any of the players they wanted, plus they end up trading for one of the worst contracts and they let go of a good player.

Wow.

6. Poopy Pants says:

Is there any possibility of an article speculating on which GM’s might be available and a good fit IF Cashman leaves?
    I’m not trying to be negative about it. It would kind of be like ‘what if CC opts out?’ or ‘what if Sori opts out?’. It would be good to hear about options.
    I don’t know a lot about other GM’s or if the Yanks have someone already who could step up.

7. Xstar7 says:

You know who else went 10-0? The Mexican Gangster that’s who.

8. Accent Shallow says:

So, level of worry in re: the Jays?

(It’s not that high, but that will be a tough lineup.)

• bexarama says:

It’s not so much that the Jays got any great, great players (I’m a big Napoli fan though), as much as the Angels are just really fucking dumb.

I’m weirdly happy to see Wells go, it seemed like he ALWAYS hit the Yankees well

9. bexarama says:

A progression of Tweets in the last minute by me

1. HEAD EXPLODES RT @n_schaef: The Angels didn’t want to pay Adrian Beltre $83 million. Vernon Wells has $86 million left on his contract.

2. DOUBLE HEAD EXPLODES??? RT @ShiDavidi: Just heard Angels may not be getting any money from Jays in Wells deal.

10. Poopy Pants says:

Kenny Williams must be thinking:
    “Damn those Angels!”

11. mike c says:

in hindsight if it meant taking wells to get halladay would you have done it? his contract is crazy but the yankees have/had the extra money, plus wells actually had a decent one last year

• mbonzo says:

I don’t know if the Yankees could take both contracts. They’d have to add $40m to the payroll at least, to handle those 2 guys and lost Montero. I wouldn’t have done it, but there is a case for that kinda deal.

• mike c says:

well minus granderson gives you around 10MM back.. plus we wouldn’t have signed raffi @ 12MM so that would have freed up some dough. I could see jesus being a deal breaker though

• mbonzo says:

If you remove Soriano and Grandy from the payroll, it still leaves the Yankees with a $210m payroll for the next few years considering what they’d need to do to replace them. Yes, Vernon would replace Grandy, but I doubt the Yankees would have run out Gardner every day if they knew their outfield was already a question mark. Cliff Lee probably would have wanted to pitch in NY if this deal happened. The team would have been amazing, but it would be complete crap in 2 years.

12. bexarama says:

Rays just signed Manny and Damon lol what the hell today is so weird.

13. Teh Comp Pick says:

NYY has money to burn where was Cash on Manny???? I really don’t want to be the consumate hater, and I think the offseason hasn’t been terrible, but Manny would have been a great move. The Yanks can make the highest bid for the Duke, whose son lives in Jerz, that would be a very legit pickup. He wants to start, and he most certainly can in NY.

14. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

Excellent choice for the obscure Yankee memorable moment.

15. Jimmy McNulty says:

The Jays made some odd moves this year. None of the moves were bad, by any means. In fact, most of the moves were very very good ones. I don’t know what strategy they’re going to take for the rest of the tenure of AA.

16. Zack says:

Can’t wait for the first Saturday Fox game where Buck & McCarver drool over Wells and act like the Angels actually made a good move.

17. mbonzo says:

Cashman should offer the Angels Burnett for Trout at this point.

18. mike c says:

carl crawford = vernon wells II
    lucky for boston they can just trade him to the angels in 3 years

19. bonestock94 says:

Hahahahahahahha Angels Hahahahahahahahaha. Worst trade I can think of in a while. omg wtf

20. Anthony says:

Aaron Small was very good in the relief role. Which is a major reason for his 10 wins he got that year. He wasnt very effective in the starting role, when Torre moved him there for 9 starts. Didint have overpowering stuff. If he hit 90-91 with the fastball that was alot. He kept the ball down in the zone and worked the corners. Maybe he was just a 1 yr wonder, who knows. It would have been nice to just leave him in the pen and let him do his thing.

21. Anthony says:

In response to the Jays/ANA deal, the Jays couldnt wait to rid themselves of the 84 mill left on Wells deal. ANA just doesnt have the right people running things. Im glad we dont have to face Wells for the 17 meetings we would have played him in the AL East.

22. Aaron says:

Hahahahah.. I cannot contain the laughter! Ohmy God.. did this just happen????!!!

Get over yourself. Vernon Wells, is every bit as good as his contract. You jokers think you know something about baseball… HAHA.

FINALLY, Wells is in a place that will appreciate him. Stand the Fu(K By!!

Sure, join every swinging toronto dick in the “wells sucs” bandwagon.. good job! Kudos to you, for being mainstream.

I am sooooo glad that he is in a city, where he will be appreciated.

F Toronto,and F Anthropawhatever, he is no better than the previuous GM. TRADE all the talent you have.. no need to build around the best pitcher in modern times (halladay); no need for Wells, Rios, Halladay, AJ Burnett, Marcum… Fook it, we have 1st and 2nd rdrs in the Minors. DIPSHITS.