Jan

Open Thread: Hello, RJ

Hey look, it's Brad Halsey! *crickets* (AP Photo/Ed Betz)

Two days ago we celebrated Randy Johnson’s departure from the Yankees, but today is the six year anniversary of his acquisition. Hard to believe it’s been that long already. They parted ways with Javier Vazquez, Brad Halsey, and then top prospect Dioner Navarro, none of whom they really miss. We all know Javy’s story, but Navarro never played a game for Arizona. He was packaged with some others and sent to the Dodgers for Shawn Green later than day. Halsey tossed up a 4.61 ERA in 160 innings for the D’Backs in 2005 before being traded to the A’s for Juan Cruz. He shredded his shoulder not long after that and hasn’t played in affiliated baseball in 2007. I was unfathomably stoked about the trade at the time, but it’s taught me and many others to not get too excited about 41-year-old pitchers coming to the AL East from the NL West, no matter how historically great they are.

Anywho, here is your open thread for the evening. The Rangers, Isles, and Knicks are all playing, so there’s plenty to keep you occupied. Treat the thread as you see fit, enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Craig says:

Is anybody else finding MLB network harder to watch between Stan Kasten’s annoying voice, the lovefest for the Phillies rotation and Mitch Williams jerkiness?

2. Tell me how the Yankees lack LHSP. CC Sabathia says hello. If Pettitte comes back, that’s about 35% of the team’s starts.

• Accent Shallow says:

And if Pettitte doesn’t come back, they only have one lefty. Granted, he’s the ace of the staff, rather than a back of the rotation soft tosser, but you’d like at least one more, right?

• bexarama says:

I love how they used !!!!!2004!!!!! as a scare tactic. Even if Pettitte doesn’t come back (and he’s totally coming back weep weep), they’ll have well over 11 starts out of a LHP unless disaster strikes.

• bexarama says:

Also as pointed out by Jordan to me: the precious 2004 Red Sox had no lefties in their rotation either. They had one start by a LHP all year, Abe Alvarez, who gave up five runs in five innings

• Accent Shallow says:

The difference being, of course, that Yankee Stadium has Death Valley in LF, whereas the Sox have Fenway. Historically, LHP have been worth less in Fenway.

I mean, who are the great Sox lefties? Bruce Hurst? (Ok, ok, they had Grove at the end of his career)

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

CC, Boone and Feliciano are the only locks. No one should get their hopes up on Pettitte at this point. Unless people want their remaining pieces of their heart torn off since there was a lot of stock in Lee.

• The Fallen Phoenix says:

How many rotations boast more than one quality lefty, though? Even the vaunted Red Sox rotation only has Lester.

3. Craig says:

Speaking of LHP and Phillies, am I the only one hoping Hamels winds up in the Bronx?

4. Adam says:

I vaguely remember Halsey throwing at a Red Sox player and it being a semi-big thing at the time?

5. Fun fact: There’s a Miami, Canada.

6. Xstar7 says:

Brad Penny just signed a one year 3 million dollar deal with the Tigers. That’s one more free agent pitcher off the list. Not that Penny was really going to come to New York anyway. Man I hope Andy comes back.

7. Pat D says:

Admiral Halsey notified me,
    he had to have a bath or he couldn’t get to sea…

• Fact: Ram was one of Wings’ best albums. Nothing beats Band on the Run, IMO.

• pete says:

I thought Ram was decent, Band On The Run was meh. I like George’s solo stuff the best, then John’s, then Paul’s, even though musically, I think Paul was the most talented Beatle.

• Pat D says:

Paul’s albums have way too much filler, on average. Band on the Run is great, Ram is pretty good. Most of Paul’s stuff since Flaming Pie has all been pretty solid.

I’m still a John fan above all, then I’d put George. All Things Must Pass might be the best solo Beatle album. I may actually like Ringo better than Paul, too. Ringo’s done some decent solo stuff, obviously not on the level of the others, those.

• pete says:

George wrote most of Ringo’s decent solo songs, though, didn’t he? “It Don’t Come Easy” comes to mind

• Pat D says:

For the most part, yes. Ringo just really wasn’t a songwriter. I’d have to look up the exact credits though. “Photograph” is Ringo’s best song, IMO, and that was definitely a co-write with George.

• pete says:

I guess I’m just not a big fan of Ringo’s singing (“lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a tune, and I’ll try not to sing out of key” was pretty tongue-in-cheek, I think). I actually love his drumming, though. “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “A Day In The Life” are two of rock’s best drumming songs, IMO.

• Pat D says:

I’d agree. He always said “Rain” was his best effort. I also think songs like “Ticket to Ride,” “Tomorrow Never Knows,” “Helter Skelter,” and his solo “Back Off Boogaloo” were unique to Ringo.

• George’s stuff was the best by far but it’s criminally underrated. He put together the entire All Things Must Pass catalog by the time he was 25. That’s just insane.

• pete says:

well they never really let him have more than 2 songs per album. Also, some of his songs with the Beatles seemed weirdly underproduced (“Long, Long, Long” comes to mind)

• Pat D says:

George’s problem was that his solo career peaked too soon. He did All Things Must Pass and the Concert for Bangladesh and was at the top. Living in the Material World isn’t bad (“Sue Me, Sue You Blues” is one of those witty George songs not enough people know), but then the Dark Horse album was an absolute disaster. Then he picked back up a bit towards the late ’70′s, but then his interests changed from music to helping Monty Python make Life of Brian and auto racing.

But Cloud 9 and the Traveling Wilburys albums are good, and Brainwashed, his posthoumous album, was really good, too.

8. Bryan L says:

Never gonna forget the Halsey-Pedro duel on July 1st, 2004, best regular season game I’ve ever seen.

9. Howie says:

“Unfathomably stoked”? That was the day I briefly considered if being a Yankee fan was worthwhile. The Big Unit was almost one surly overpriced over the hill veteran too many.

10. “top prospect Dioner Navarro”

I can just imagine what the rest of that top 20 looks like.

11. Here’s the 2004 list

1. Dionar Navarro, C
    2. Eric Duncan, 3b/1b
    3. Rudy Guillen, of
    4. Joaquin Arias, ss
    5. Ramon Ramirez, rhp
    6. Robinson Cano, 2b
    7. Ferdin Tejeda, ss
    8. Jorge DePaula, rhp
    9. Estee Harris, of
    10. Bronson Sardinha, 3b

Thanks your lucky stars Brian Cashman took over Baseball Ops peeps. That is one fugly looking list.

• BTW-Mike, if you (or anyone else) can help me, I can’t seem to find the Jan 05 list.

• mbonzo says:

Funny enough, I’m pretty sure the 2004 list is worth more in WAR than 2006 simply because of Cano.

• mbonzo says:

Hughes- 6.4 WAR
        Tabata- 2.0 WAR
        Jackson- 3.8 WAR
        Clippard- 1.1 WAR
        Total: 13.3 WAR

Cano- 18.7 WAR

(Navarro has 4.7)

• Tank the Frank says:

God bless him. I really hope there’s a “Cano” somewhere in the Yankees farm right now. Meaning someone who totally overshoots all his projections and comes almost out of nowhere to become a top player at his position. That would be awesome.

• Mike HC says:

I’m no prospect expert, but if you can get a player of Cano’s ability out of your top ten prospects in any given year, and have one included in the trade for ARod, it really could not have been all that bad.

But I definitely agree with your overriding point. Cashman has been a much needed godsend for our farm system.

• Accent Shallow says:

Mostly agree, but let’s wait a few years, see how prospects pan out.

12. Slappy White says:

You know, the more times I watch that Jeffrey Mayer game on Yankees Classics, the more I really dont think he reached over that wall……Clearly a Home Run

13. Kiersten says:

49 states have snow right now.

Guess who lives in the only one who doesn’t.

14. Tank the Frank says:

Best movie of the year???

I just watched Black Swan, and even though I thought it was incredible (Whatchu need Natalie?!? TO FUCK ALL NIGHT!!), I still have to say The Social Network would be my pick. It’s surprising because I usually go for the “artsier” films. The Fighter and 127 Hours were also great films.

• pete says:

I liked Black Swan the best. The King’s Speech was also awesome, as was The Social Network. Haven’t seen 127 Hours yet. (I also liked HP7, making it the first potter movie I liked, but it certainly wasn’t the best movie of the year)

• Bryan L says:

The Fighter. By far.

• Kiersten says:

Toy Story 3.

imeanwhat.

• Erica says:

True Grit was phenomenal, and I was going to see Black Swan tonight but yknow… snow.

• Pat D says:

Out of the 10 films nominated for the Producer’s Guild award, which almost always matches up with the Oscar nominations, I haven’t seen Black Swan, The Town or 127 Hours. I’m getting The Town from Netflix tomorrow and I intend to see Black Swan this weekend. Don’t know if 127 Hours will play where I live or not.

My top 4 movies would probably be Inception, The King’s Speech, The Social Network and Toy Story 3. True Grit or The Fighter might be next. I’d love to see Inception win Best Picture just to make up for the snub of The Dark Knight, but I know it won’t happen.

Another one you should try to check out is Winter’s Bone. Already out on DVD, too.

15. Xstar7 says:

Frazier isn’t wearing a ridiculous suit today.

• Mike HC says:

I bumped into him on the street one day walking home from class and he had on these 70′s florescent green pants on and puffy white button down shirt. He stood out so much I spotted him from almost a full block away, ha.

16. Erica says:

I REALLY like Amar’e Stoudemire. The Knicks have been my savior in this endless offseason (well, that and Yankees Classics).

17. Mike HC says:

Amare constantly gets fouled without it being called, but he also complains a little too much to the refs on a consistent basis. I guess I would complain a lot too if you get hacked as much as Amare and Dwight Howard.

18. Xstar7 says:

The Knicks are putting it way with style!