Jan

Open Thread: Kind of a big deal

(AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

Four years ago today, the Yankees and Diamondbacks finally completed a long discussed trade that send Randy Johnson back to the desert. The Yanks received three prospects and Luis Vizcaino, all of whom were goners within two years of the trade for entirely different reasons. The Big Unit got a bad rap in New York but his overall body of work was fine: a 4.01 FIP (4.37 ERA) in 430.1 IP across two seasons. Unsurprisingly, he was unable to maintain his 2004 performance (2.30 FIP in 245.2 IP) as a 41-year-old moving from the NL West to the AL East. Such is life.

Anyway, that’s today’s slice of Yankee history. Here’s your open thread for the evening. You can probably still catch the end of the Packers-Eagles game, but otherwise the Devils, Isles, and Knicks are in action at various times. You all know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Granderslam says:

Just out of curiosity, any teams with excess pitching to spare? That we are aware of. I know the Cubs and the White Sox might fit that category (once Peavy returns), but I was wondering…

• whozat says:

At this point, I’m pretty sure that any options fans and bloggers might be aware of have been picked over a dozen times :-/

• Granderslam says:

I’m clearly trying to convince myself there is something else out there…anything lol.

• Mattchu12 says:

I’ve stopped trying to convince myself we’ll get somebody, and am now convincing myself that Andrew Brackman is going to be HUGE in 2011 and that Aaron Warren is going to be the new “who woulda thunk it” pitcher, love that Fastball-Cutter-2Seamer trio.

• Granderslam says:

I need to convert and join your level of thinking. I must say though, I am extremely excited for the young guns to make appearances throughout the season. Just look at how successful the young pitching staffs have been around baseball (Giants, A’s, etc.). I’m looking forward to the Yankees minor leaguers (hopefully) making a positive impact this season in particular, making me feel much better in the process of course.

• Mattchu12 says:

We have quantity on our side. Someone is going to work. Between Brackman, Nova, Warren, Phelps, Noesi, and Mitchell, we will find at least the very least one solid starter.

My prediction: Brackman becomes the Brackmonster we’ve been hoping for, and we get a solid arm in Adam Warren for the bulk of 2011.

No evidence to help me here, just my gut.

• whozat says:

I think that the quantity will help in that they’ll be able to flip some arms for a useful veteran mid-season, and still have guys with upside that should help the pen in 2011 or the rotation in 2012.

• JohnnyC says:

This Aaron Warren guy sounds really promising.

2. Jerome S. says:

What’s with the vitriol on here lately? I think the dead-point monotony of the offseason is really getting to some people. Like the Shining.

3. Mickey Scheister says:

The Eagles D looks awful thus far. The first Aikers missed FG, okay yeah the wind. The second was just awful. Cmon Vick! I don’t even like the Eagles, I just wanna see Vick succeed!

• Mattchu12 says:

I admit, I’m rooting for the Eagles. But I can hear my mother’s voice screeching in the back of my head about Vick being on the Eagles.

• Mickey Scheister says:

Some of the comments recently towards the new RAB writers are just uncalled for. New or different isn’t always bad. I personally love the extra posts over the weekend. The only constant in life is change.

4. Whelp me settle an argument!

Which opening notes are better: Those of “New York, New York” or those of “Enter Sandman”?

5. cano is the bro says:

yes! The eagles lost!

6. mustang says:

Nice win against the Giants a few weeks back, but it meant NOTHING !!!!

ONE AND OUT!

Bye Bye Eagles !!!!

7. bonestock94 says:

Another year, another Eagles playoff failure.

8. mbonzo says:

I’m glad the Eagles lost. Everyone is saying that Vick has matured as a player, which I think is a load of BS. He’s a ball-hog, he never utilizes McCoy.

9. Mickey Scheister says:

At least it was a good game! Make’s you wonder who’s gonna sign Vick now that he’s a free agent!

10. bexarama says:

Packers!!!!

(I’m a Packers fan, not a Giants fan rooting against the Eagles. Was pretty happy seeing Vick’s season come to an end like that, though…)

• mustang says:

Agree and Thank you from a Giants fan!

• Mickey Scheister says:

He’ll just keep doing the patented Vick spin move into the end zone every play. On D, he’ll be a shutdown corner, leading the league in picks.

This just in…Vicks vapor rub just gave Michael Vick his first endorsement deal since…well, you know. Or not.

• Mickey Scheister says:

Okay, another reply fail. Since RAB updated the site for the iPhone, it’s taking some getting used to, sorry.

11. mustang says:

So much for the big bad NFL East:

Cowgirls= horrible

Giants= Bad

Washington= disaster

Eagles= same old same

12. Xstar7 says:

Thanks Packers for putting the Eagles in their place

13. Esteban says:

I’m a jets fan, but I don’t think it’s particularly likely they’ll win next week.

14. FIPster Doofus says:

This Cliff Lee guy is a real bastard. I offered him the most years and money in my MLB: The Show franchise and he still went elsewhere.

• Mattchu12 says:

Where did he sign?

I remember I would always try and sign Sabathia in one of the 2k games, he always blew me off and signed with the Pirates or the Marlins or the Royals. Pissed me off.

• FIPster Doofus says:

He re-signed with Texas (I’m Washington). I took what was supposed to be Lee’s money and gave it to Carl Crawford, which I immediately regretted after noticing his ‘F’ power grade.

• Stratman9652 says:

Yeah well the Nationals always win the world series in my 2k10 “my player” careers while the Yankees have the worst record in baseball after sending Swish, Jeter and Cano to the Red Sox while Pettitte, Mo and Posada retire. At least I get to keep Kearns for right field. The Offseason AI in these games are terrible.

15. Xstar7 says:

Apparently there’s a mega trade on the verge of happening that would send Carmelo Anthony, Richard Hamilton, and Chauncey Billups to the NETS while the nuggets get Devin Harris, Derick Favors, Anthony Morrow, and at least two first round picks and would send Troy Murphy and Johan Petro to the Pistons. What was all that talk about Carmelo to the Knicks?

16. Kiersten says:

Can’t. Stop. Watching. Dexter.

• Granderslam says:

Best. Show. Ever. Season 4 is unprecedented.

• Kiersten says:

I’m in the middle of season 4 right now. They just got shot and I’m waiting for the next episode to load and I’m freaking out.

• Granderslam says:

Brace yourself. It gets crazy good. I watch way too much TV and I could honestly say there is not a season of TV that compares to Dexter’s Season 4. And from woman to woman…you might just shed a tear during the last moments of the finale. Enjoy!!!

• Sean C says:

You will not stop freaking out until the season is over. And then you’ll freak out again. Waiting week to week to watch those episodes when they first aired on Showtime wasn’t fun at all because they were so intense. Enjoy!

• Tank the Frank says:

Season 5 kinda sucked though, I thought.

• Sean C says:

I liked it, but it felt very weak compared to season 4.

• radnom says:

I thought it was great right up until the last half of the finale. The ending of that season was really terrible though. Not a spoiler – but I thought the ‘sheet’ was a really lame plot device.

• I Voted 4 Kodos says:

Dexter is my favorite show on TV, and it’s only partly because my last name is Dexter.

• I got introduced to Dexter just over a month ago and I’m already about to finish season 3. So addictive. It’s possibly my favorite show ever, right up there with Psych and Supernatural.

• Kiersten says:

I started the week before Christmas and I’m already halfway through season 4. All I want to do after work is go home and watch Dexter.

• Avi says:

OMG I love Dexter and I hate gore. Season one was amazing, two even better but three dropped off. Just ordered season four on blu ray on netflix. Didn’t know it was available on DVD. When did it come out?

17. UWS says:

A question for anyone more savvy in home theater technology than I am:

I’m looking for an inexpensive yet decent way to improve the sound on my TV. The TV speaker are truly awful. I’m not looking for a full-out $1000 home theater system. Is a sound bar + subwoofer the way to go? And if so, any advice on what brand(s)?

18. Justin says:

So, I’ve made a bunch, but my most popular Sporcle quiz was recently published to the front page. Check it out if you’re so inclined: http://www.sporcle.com/games/J.....y_Happened

(It’s about movies).

19. Brock Cohen says:

I have to admit, I was one of the great unwashed who quickly grew to despise Unit in pinstripes when he didn’t put up a string of 13K games from the onset. Stupid on my part, I know. In retrospect, he did everything anyone could reasonably expect of a 40-something in his two seasons in the AL East and had a very C.C.-like 2005 (225 I.P., 211 Ks, 1.126 WHIP).

Also, am I the only one who cares about Knicks-Lakers right now? Jeez.

• bexarama says:

Oh I despised him at the time when he wasn’t what he was with the Diamondbacks. In retrospect, though, he wasn’t that horrible, and in 2005 he was downright really good, which that pitching staff desperately needed.

• Steve H says:

He wasn’t that horrible, but he was a letdown. He had won 4 of the prior 6 Cy Youngs and should have won a 5th (came in 2nd). Anything less than at least contending for a Cy at that point was disappointing. I know the stats weren’t going to carry over, but it’s not like he was some soft tosser, or a guy who lost his good fastball.

20. Jimmy McNulty says:

Someone didn’t watch the Jets game the other night. One great catch by Braylon Edwards and the Jets Defense holding Peyton Manning and the Colts to 16 points were the reasons that the Jets beat the Colts.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I couldn’t get past the second paragraph. I mean, is Brady supposed to feel guilty that he didn’t watch the game? Give me a break.

• bexarama says:

Mark Sanchez fucking sucked in that game

• Lupica wrote a column called “Sanchez Carries the Mark of a Winner” or something like that. If they’d lost the game, I can’t even imagine how much Sanchez would’ve been shit on (not that he wouldn’t deserve it).

• mbonzo says:

Didn’t his shoulder explode or something? This article IS ridiculous but Jets fans gotta be joking if their injured rookie QB couldn’t beat one of the best (ever?).

• bexarama says:

That was basically the case in last year’s Championship game – Sanchez was just fine but Manning pretty much took over after a certain point. There’s not really a whole lot of shame with that, Peyton Manning is kinda good.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

62.4 QB rating…I don’t care how overrated QB rating is, it’s pretty much impossible to have a good game with a rating that low.

• bexarama says:

I think the Chiefs’ QB had a QB rating in the 20s today o_O

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, QB rating like any NFL stat sn’t perfect, but it’s kinda like UZR, if it’s off the charts good chances are the guy had a good performance, if it’s lower than say 70 there’s a good chance he guy blows.

21. Ori says:

I care about the Knicks, but Amare can’t hit shit this game : (

22. Jimmy McNulty says:

Watching The Cape, it’s a total Batman ripoff but I’m okay with that since I would trade my little sister for another Batman with Heath Ledger.

On another note, you know what I want? Another True Lies.

23. bakekrukow412 says:

I wish WWE was still good. Made the offseason go by faster.

24. AJ says:

When the Yanks signed Randy Johnson I remember being a step away from doing cartwheels.

25. AJ says:

Nets are close to getting Carmelo Anthony according to Yahoo Sports. That sucks.