Jan

Rothschild to meet with Burnett in coming weeks

Via Buster Olney, new pitching coach Larry Rothschild is expected to fly down to Maryland to visit with A.J. Burnett in the coming weeks. A.J. called Rothschild as soon as he was hired, and the two are expected to talk about mechanics and whatnot at the upcoming pow-wow. I’m sure the cynics among us will say this should have happened weeks ago, but these guys can’t focus on baseball all year long. It’s 162 games plus Spring Training plus the playoffs, and everyone needs time to unwind and clear their head.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. J.R. says:

I hope Rothschild has some really good ideas.

2. Jerkface says:

Can he also turn Joba back into a starter?

3. Bryan L says:

Man, Rothschild is gonna be all boot-camp like on Burnett.

4. Jerome S. says:

yay?

It can’t be any worse.

5. at the upcoming pow-wow

hopefully there are no more black eyes.

6. BigApple says:

i read that Rothschild likes his pitchers to throw strikes…..i’m all for that approach!

7. seimiya says:

I would like to be a fly on the wall for these meetings. Given that I am now, however, I will simply hope and pray that Burnett comes back with a knee-buckling curveball and a sub-3 ERA.

I like to set my standards high.

• seimiya says:

am not*. Stupid spelling.

• CS Yankee says:

If the hook returns with a sub-3 ERA…well, AJ would be more popular than ____________?

/toobigtothinkabout’d

• Accent Shallow says:

He’s always had the knee buckling curve (except in 2010, apparently). What he’s never had is the ability to locate either that or the fastball.

Or a third pitch to go to when he can’t locate.

• seimiya says:

Location is an important part of knee-buckling.

• BigApple says:

indeed…and the umps generousity with the calls. the majority of burnett’s pitches are purposely thrown out of the strike zone…if the hitter doesn’t chase, het gets in trouble. that’s why i’m hoping rothschild can get him to attack the zone better…get ahead and stay there. same with Joba who loves to go 0-2 on a guy and then get cute with his slider that no one swings at anymore…with both joba and AJ it can go from 0-2 to 3-2 in a matter of seconds and then its either a BB or a baseknock.

8. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I know this sounds like a bad idea, but I’m willing to make a gamble by trading Burnett straight up for Felix Hernandez. I know Burnett is like really really good and all but I’m willing to take a chance on the Felix dude.

9. Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

“It’s 162 games plus Spring Training plus the playoffs, and everyone needs time to unwind and clear their head”.

That has to be one of the funniest lines ever written!

• OldYanksFan says:

You don’t mean like, ballplayers should get to spend the Holidays with their families? I THOUGHT YOU WERE A BASEBALL FAN!

• Kevin Ocala, Fl says:

No, like, I know what’s it’s like to run an very intense, hands-on business. Like, my responsibility runs a hell of a lot deaper than needing 3-4 months to “clear my head out”. My intention was not to mock Mike’s column but to put a needle into this bubbble that pro athletes float in. I’m sure a lot of you guys don’t get the money, perks, and vacation that these guys get. That being said, I’m a 40+ year fan of the Yankees. In that time many ballplayers worked during the off-season to make some extra cash. So please, enough of the weeping.

10. MajorBLeague says:

Rothschild can help out Burnett. Remember, the Yankees got him for a reason. Burnett has an effective Changeup that he rarely ever uses. If he would incorporate that and make himself a three pitch pitcher, it would really stifle hitters and make him stronger. Plus, for the people that call Cashman an “idiot” “moron” “loser” etc, YOU try running the Yankees, and handling everything with the Steinbrenners. I know Cashman has not made the best moves in his tenure, but there is nobody else who can even handle the Yankees well.

11. solamon says:

please turn joba into a strater