Jan

Yankees considering Andruw Jones

Via Jon Heyman, free agent Andruw Jones is on the Yankees’ “list of righty hitting [outfielders] to consider.” I assume this is the same list Manny Ramirez was on. I took a look at Jones about a week ago and figured that he’s a viable option for that Marcus Thames role, and I see no reason to change my opinion now. Andruw has declined the Yanks once before though, so there’s a little bit of history here.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Mike Myers says:

I would welcome him off the bench. I dont think its the same the last time they met…no one will give him a starting gig anymore.

2. Can we get Javy Vazquez to pitch to him?

3. bonestock94 says:

Hope its true

4. dan l says:

Would much rather have Manny or Milledge.

• Jerome S. says:

Milledge? I guess he’s not as terrible as everyone makes him out to be, it’s just that people still LOL at how the Mets hyped him.

• mbonzo says:

I like Lastings Milledge better than Scott Hairston

• Bulldozer says:

You know, Milledge still has the possibility that he might figure something out.

• mbonzo says:

Exactly. His numbers have been very similar to Hairston’s. Lastings is only 25 too and assuming he can’t find a starting job he’ll probably be cheaper than Hairston. His fielding is hard to judge based on UZR since the Pirates run weird defensive positions.

Signing Miledge is like signing Scott Hairston with the tiny tiny tiny possibility he blossoms into the star he was supposed to be.

• Jerome S. says:

so does Jarrod Saltallamachia.

• Bulldozer says:

Manny ain’t playing the field though. Boras said he is looking for a DH role.

5. Fair Weather Freddy says:

would rather have Manny than Andrew Jones

• RL says:

In a vacuum, yes. With Jorge as DH, I doubt Manny would accept a bench role. And I’d hate to see Manny in the OF more than I hated to see Thames!

• Bulldozer says:

Even Boras said he ain’t a fielder anymore. He’s a DH guy. Since JoPo is the DH, that means he has no role except the bench. Manny isn’t gonna take a bench role.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

…why can’t we put Jorge in Right? Dude stole at a 75% clip last year–nearly as good as Gardner, and RF is much smaller than left.

6. bottom line says:

If true, this could be best news of dismal off-season

7. bottom line says:

If true, best news of dismal off-season

RAB: Please post — submitting second time

• Bulldozer says:

I hope it’s not true.

• Mike Axisa says:

There’s nothing in there but Heyman’s speculation.

• bottom line says:

that’s why I said “if true.”

• OldYanksFan says:

And really… considering the contracts the Yanks already have on the books, you want to pay big money and commit to FOUR years for a reliever?

It’s always true that players are cheaper and easier to find in July. It will be even more true in 2011. As painful as it is, PATIENCE is truly the way to go now.

• bottom line says:

Soriano is not just any reliever. If anyone like him were available in July he’d cost half the farm. And unless Yanks bolster what I thinnk is a very suspect bullpen they’ll be out of it by the trading deadline.

• Jess says:

Dismal? Throwing money at Soriano would be dismal. Is that all some Yankee fans know how to do is throw money at people? They are like patrons at a strip club.

• bottom line says:

Why would it be dismal to get a guy with a 1.50 ERA, 37 saves and WHIP of 0.8? Dismal only for Red Sox fans, I guess.

Meanwhile, the common wisdom disdain for relievers continues to amaze. WAR is flawed in relation to relievers as it treats all runs the same. But ten runs saved in ten one-run ballgames are infinitely more important than ten runs based partly on performace in 8-1 blow-outs. Idiocy of WAR best reflected in Mariano’s WAR being barely better than Cervelli’s. If anyone here believes Mariano is worth just one one more win per year than Cervelli, I bow before the stupefyingly senseless and seductive power of WAR.

• bottom line says:

should be 47 saves, ERA 1.73 as I recall

• “WAR is flawed in relation to relievers as it treats all runs the same.” Untrue. WAR weighs runs based on Leverage Index, so 10 runs saved in 10 one-run games will count for much more.

• CS Yankee says:

Is Mo’s WAR only a game above the Great Gazoo?

If so, the tool is flawed in a major way, beyond a UZR and 1B thing.

• You can say that, but it doesn’t make it true.

I’m not saying WAR is perfect. I think it does underrate relievers to a certain degree. But to call it flawed in a major way because it says something counter to what you believe is, well, flawed logic.

The major difference is in replacement level. Replacement for a closer is different than replacement for a catcher. Replacement for a catcher is usually a journeyman who couldn’t crack a major league roster. Replacement for a closer is the setup man. Therefore, the replacement for the closer is far closer to the closer’s performance than the replacement for the catcher’s is to the actual catcher’s.

Make sense?

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

Are you saying the difference between Mo and Wood/Chamberlain/and in this case Soriano is smaller than the difference between Mauer and Martin?

• Well, I’m saying that 1) Replacement Level as a concept is flawed in ways, because the replacement for Mauer is his backup, who is likely better than replacement level, and 2) that yes, going from Mo to the setup man, whomever it may be, won’t hurt as much as going from a player such as Mauer to his backup — and especially if that backup approaches replacement level.

• CS Yankee says:

What if your setup is Farnsworth?

BTW, I took so long in my response to notice yours to anothers 20 minutes earlier.

• CS Yankee says:

It does make sense (to a degree), however the term WAR should translate to what it implies…Wins Above Replacement.

So, if a WAR for the #2 position is a .240 batter and a closer is a 3.00 ERA, I understand that a light hitting C that plays 80 games and bats .265 will likely translate to a greater positive than a 2.40 setup/closer that only sees 3 outs for 50 games.

However, the setup/closer has a much higher leverage to the games outcome than say a #8 hitter (in most cases).

I understand that a high WAR player like Posada has made his career (and maybe the difference in a WS or two) by being more than worthy with the stick despite his extreme limits as a backstop and baserunner. The postseason is where, I feel, this translates best to as it is a SSS, each run is at a premium due to better pitchers and more in-depth scouting/planning. Torre used this to his advantage in ’96 with the CIF’ers.

In the course of a season however, a weak catcher like Cerv’ hasn’t added much with the glove, bat or calling of his pitchers to overcome while a pitcher like Mo depresses the bats and is honed (along with the other best closers) to execute.

There seems to be better closers these days than catchers and I’m okay with using WAR as one guage for most positions, just not gospel and maybe not with closers.

I guess I’m rambling a bit because I don’t understand all the science, however the science certainly isn’t complete just yet.

• 1) Please use the tip box to submit things. 2) We all read Heyman’s Twitter, 3) This is completely off-topic. Please refrain in the future.

• Sal says:

I would sign Soriano, Fuentes and Brad Penny. We would have an all time great bullpen.

• CS Yankee says:

Yes, No & maybe.

Yo, It is impossible to have the all time great bullpen…the Red Sox have the bestest of all time, it would be good-n-all, but not the greatest of all time.

/Kaynewest’d

8. Mike HC says:

My initial reaction was to to pass, but I guess it can’t really hurt to have a guy who can hit a homerun any time he is up and is still serviceable, albeit quickly declining, for the outfield. Signing Soriano would make me happier though. Both would be better obviously.

9. CS Yankee says:

I like my PH to have contact above power though.

Andruw has been a low BA, K-monster for quite a few years. He can destroy a ball when he connects, just don’t expect him to connect much.

I wish there was a Raines type PH/DH available as I could see either Posada getting some more time as C, or on the DL and I’m not a complete fan of the “resting star will DH tonight” if ‘Sada slumps, is injured, or is needed as a C.

10. dalelama says:

As each day passes this off season’s dismality increases.

11. Jeffrey says:

If the Yankees sign Soriano it would smell of a panic move. But I wouldn’t mind if they are able to work out a deal to pay less than the #1 pick. If the pick is involved it is a poor move given the length of contract that Soriano wants and the depth of next year’s draft.

12. Giovanni says:

I think Andruw Jones will fit nicely as a nr. 6 power hitter for the Yankees. Go for it!!!