Feb

Cool Pic Du Jour: ’74 Shea Stadium Seating Plan

(click for larger)

As you probably know, the Yankees played in Shea Stadium during the 1974 and 1975 seasons while Yankee Stadium was being renovated. Field level seats ran just four bucks, and although I wasn’t alive back then, that still strikes me as pretty cheap. Anyway, thanks to Craig Robinson of Flip Flop Fly Ballin’ to sharing.

Categories : Yankee Stadium

1. Esteban says:

Haha wow, they had messengers to let doctors know if they had any calls. The pre-cellphone/beeper world must have been a lot slower.

2. long time listener says:

It cost $4 to get in to Shea. They charged $20 for you to get out.

3. mike says:

wow, $4 what a steal

4. Chris R says:

Trust me, even @ $4 no one went – I dont know what they drew back then but I remember going with my Dad and the place was empty

5. badadvice says:

Will in 1973 gas was 26.9 per gal and in 1974 it jumped up to 65.9 cents per gal. So couldn’t drive to Shea from Mineola NY. Then pay big bucks $4 for the game. I was 17 years old! Of course I’ve paid $16 to see the Port St Lucie Mets A team play. but still a 100% yankee fan. I just happen to live in P.S.L.

6. Drew says:

$4 to now $1200. Something doesn’t seem right here….

• KeithK says:

Yeah. I usually compare things to when I was in high school (late 80s) and a partial ticket plan. Box seats were like $12. Comparing with a nother form of entertainment, movie tickets might have been $6 in the city then. I couldn’t say how much movies in Manhattan cost nowadays (been a while) but they sure as hell don’t cost half the price of a field level box seat.

Then again, in the late 80′s getting 30k attendance was considered a really good night, aside from big pennant race match ups or special events like Old Timers Day or Bat Day (do we still have Bat Day? Best promotion of the year, even if the things didn’t hold up well to hitting real baseballs.)

7. Bob B says:

I was 18 & 19 those years at Shea. I made about $1.75 – $2.00 per hour at my summer job. It was great when we went to a game and could afford the best seats in the house.

The whole trip from NJ (bus, #7 train) probably cost about $3. When we drove it was even cheaper.

I had forgotten that going to a Yankee game was once an inexpensive day out.

8. Ray D. says:

I went to Bat day at the Stadium in ’68 on a bus from Waterbury, Ct. The ticket was 2.75 for a seat and we sat pretty close to the field. I was 11 at the time and came home with a Jake Gibbs bat while my brother got a Mantle.

They played Cleveland that day and the tribe pitched Luis Tiant who I believe was a rookie that year. He took a no-hitter late into the game until Mickey legged out an infield hit !

A great memory. Now you almost have to take out a second mortgage to be able to take in a game.

• Kiersten says:

I’m so incredibly jealous of this comment.

• Alex says:

You got a Jake Gibbs bat while your brother got a Mantle? Someone must have been pretty jealous on that ride home. Why would they even give away a Jake Gibbs bat at a Yankee game? I guess they figured the fans could find more use for his bat than Jake ever could.

• Ray D. says:

It was just the luck of the draw that day. I lost the Gibbs bat during a softball season in the 70′s but my brother lost interest in baseball so guess who has that Mantle bat now – ME !

As I recall Gibbs was considered to be a pretty decent college quarterback. Those were dark years for the Yankees.

9. Jerome S. says:

$4 Dollars…

no, still not worth seeing the Mets ;)

10. Urban says:

Even inflation-adjusted (and there was some pretty high inflation for the remainder of that decade), I can’t imagine that would be more than $25 today, so yeah, ticket prices have risen much faster than inflation.

• Urban says:

I checked. CPI Inflation Calculator says something that cost $4 in 1974 should cost $17.69 today. What would those seats go for now? $500? $1,000?

11. Scout says:

Brings back memories of another Yankee, Doc Medich — sort of the Phil Hughes of that era.

12. jbkx says:

Damn, Shea was a dump.

13. Linda says:

What strikes me the most about this post is that Mike was not even born in ’75. Makes me feel like an old codger-mamma that used to crush on Bucky Dent.