Feb

Crawford denies contact with the Yankees

About 24 hours before he signed a contract with the Red Sox, Carl Crawford dined with Brian Cashman and the Yankees’ brass at the Winter Meetings. Before that, there were reports that the Yankees were “very much engaged in discussions” with Crawford’s agents. According to Crawford himself, either none of those things happened, or he just has a terrible memory. He spoke to Dennis & Callahan on WEEI this morning, and his story doesn’t exactly match what we heard this winter.

“To be honest with you, I never talked to New York. They never offered me a contract. I never had any kind of communication with New York, so it was never an option to go to New York.” Emphasis mine. Maybe he’s talking about the Mets?

Categories : Asides

1. radnom says:

I don’t think he denies having dinner with them I think its just worded awkwardly. All he appears to be saying is that the Yankees never had any serious discussions with him/made any offers. Which we knew already. Non-story.

• MikeD says:

Exactly. My impressions are the Yankees never had any interest in Crawford, but Cashman did have dinner with Crawford and/or his agent shortly before Crawford signed with the Sox. I viewed it as kicking the tires, and making sure the Sox paid a king’s ransom for Crawford. Mission accomplished.

2. Tom Zig says:

Maybe Cashman wasn’t creepy enough

3. mike_h says:

I think the Red Sox want to cover up the fact that they overpaid for him. He probably wasn’t in contact but his agent surely must have been, how could they not

4. Mike Axisa says:

Maybe Crawford didn’t speak to the Yankees but his agent did? Perhaps without him knowing?

• CS Yankee says:

If he just grabs dinner with Cashman & they BS about baseball & life but not about joining the NYY…how’s does what he says, contradict anything?

Win Cashman for the illusion, ditto for CC. Theo got burnt for Teix “ninja style”, he missed on Werth and the Agon thing blew up (in the beginning) in his face…he tried to muddy the Mo renewal, and Cashman was likely returning the favor.

Fail Theo.

5. Thomas says:

Maybe he meant he never talked to the New York girl on the VH1 show “I Love New York.”

6. UncleArgyle says:

This is the same guy who didn’t realize that multiple PI’s were tailing him the entire offseason, so I’m not surprised….on a side note, imagine the uproar if it was discovered that the Yankees hired several Shamuses to stalk a Free Agent?

• CS Yankee says:

Did Theo & Co follow him around? I didn’t hear that they did, seems creepy.

BoSox (Mo Vaughan) & NYY (Winfield) have failed in that dept before.

7. Yanko says:

Man, I cant wait for opening day so we can stop talking about this kind of stuff. I also cannot wait to see how this guy’s contract looks 3-4 years from now. It might beat JD Drew’s in quality. Just very glad the yankees didnt sign this guy.

8. Mister Delaware says:

Dennis and Callahan suck so f’ing bad.

9. ND Mike says:

He’s still mad Golson threw him out…

10. Thanks for this website, can happily state
    we now have a steam shower of our own and we love it

Take a look at my blog; steam shower uk

11. After preparation in kitchen fast foods are placed on display racks in the fast food shop.
    Even your children may develop the fast food habit, when they associate happy weekends with
    mom and dad with eating fast food. (I say almost because there still is that small chance that someone in the kitchen cross contaminates.

12. Paragraph writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with then you can write if not it is complex to write.

13. A wide variety of helpful advise on this site, really
    need a steam shower unit in my bathroom

Here is my blog; steam shower review

14. What’s up to every body, it’s my first go to see of this webpage; this web
    site carries remarkable and genuinely fine
    data in support of visitors.