Feb

February 20th Camp Notes

It's baseball. (AP Photo/Mike Carlson)

The first official full squad workout of the 2011 season took place today, so there’s plenty to update you on…

• Derek Jeter held his season opening press conference this morning. “You won’t see anything different [regarding the swing],” said the Cap’n despite his work with Kevin Long. Jeter indicated that he’s looking forward to his pursuit of 3,000 hits, that he’s no longer bothered by his contract negotiations, and that he fully expects to exercise the fourth year player option in his deal. Of course he does. (Chad Jennings, Jack Curry & Mark Feinsand)
  • Despite hiring Scott Boras this offseason, Robbie Cano does not plan on asking the Yankees for a contract extension. “I would never do that,” he said. It really doesn’t matter, Robbie could ask all he wants, but the Yankees still have contractual control of him (through club options) through 2013. (Marc Carig)
  • Alex Rodriguez is showing off improved flexibility after shedding ten pounds (down to 223) and three percentage points of body fat (down to nine percent). I guess it was the popcorn diet (/easy joke). Kevin Long said A-Rod‘s swing is “as good as I’ve seen it since ’07.” I’ll believe it when I see it. (Buster Olney & Pete Caldera)
  • You can add Mark Teixeira to the list of players that shed some weight this offseason, at least based on visual inspection. (Carig)
  • Jorge Posada is going to see some playing time at first base, which only makes sense. If he can do it once every two weeks to spell Tex, then great. (Andrew Marchand)
  • Hector Noesi has arrived in camp after his visa issues, and he was scheduled to throw a bullpen today. (Erik Boland)
  • Here’s the full list of bullpen assignments, batting practice groups, and infield/outfield assignments. (Jennings)
  • The Yankees aren’t going to play any intra-squad games this year. The first exhibition game is next Saturday against the Phillies. (Bryan Hoch)
Categories : Spring Training

1. Mike HC says:

Anybody think Jorge can be passable at first? Giambi level? Swisher might be a possible option as the back up first baseman as well I would think.

• felixbanuelos says:

Swish is only 5’11 so he can’t stretch much

• Ted Nelson says:

He’s had 125 innings there in his two seasons with the Yankees. Started 10 games there in 2009. Started 80 games at 1B for Oakland in 2006.

• bexarama says:

I think Jorge’s played first a few times and he seemed okay. /extremely SSS’d

• Midland TX says:

Ten games at 1B over the last three seasons.

(I guess you could also count 64 games at 2B at Low-A Oneonta in 1991.)

If his bat holds up it will likely make up for the lack of range. [Posada 1B / Swisher OF] > [Swisher 1B / Andruw OF].

• Ted Nelson says:

I think it’s a good option to have. Not only to give Tex some days at DH, but also in the relatively unlikely case he gets injured. In that case, depending on how Andruw and Jesus are playing at a given point in the season it would be nice to either be able to put Andruw RF/Swish 1B or put Jorge 1B/Montero DH or some of both.

2. 6 days to go before the first Spring Training game!!! The wait is almost over!!!

3. Jake H says:

I’m curious if Rafael Depaula got his visa

4. Tom Zig says:

I can’t wait until the Phillies exhibition game. Let the insanity begin!!

5. Tom Zig says:

I guess Joba and Colon picked up all the weight that everyone on the team lost.

Is it me or did everyone lose weight this year? I haven’t heard too many “Player X is in the best shape of his life” comments though.

6. This is all just a plan to turn Posada into a super-utility guy, right? I mean, he used to be a second baseman. If Youk can go back to third, surely Posada can go back and spell Cano and Jeter at 2nd and short, right?

7. MikeD says:

At least with players like A-Rod and Jeter, there is no question if they have done everything they need to do to be physically ready for a season. They probably keep themselves as physically ready as any two players in the game.

8. Angryankee says:

I wish they would give us an up to date roster at legends. Whoever 93 is, looked great at BP on Sunday.