Feb

‘I wanna be where the fans are’

With apologies to Bruce Springsteen for the headline, take a look at this map. Not quite an accurate survey of the landscape of baseball fan-dom, CommonCensus has mapped the baseball landscape through online surveys. The result is a rough approximation of where fans of the 30 clubs live. Red Sox fans have clearly taken to voting as they seem to possess a territory in western Connecticut and eastern New York far greater than the club’s reach.

Anyway, kill 15 minutes on the high-res version and start voting here to help reshape the Yanks’ share of the country. For what it’s worth, Montana doesn’t seem to be a hotbed of people, let alone baseball, and for another excellent if inexact map of the baseball landscape, check out the United Countries of Baseball.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Bryan L says:

That’s way too much of Eastern NY to be Sox fans. We gotta fix that…

2. CT Yankee says:

Connecticut is like the Mason-Dixon line of great sports rivalries. How is it that they take up most of the state and what looks like most of the east side of upstate New York?

• Selection bias and sample size issues. As the site’s owner says, these are inaccurate, and without more votes, the geographic pictures remains skewed.

• I always look at it this way when it comes to CT and the Yanks/Sox: the Sox cover the bigger physical area, but the Yankees cover the area that holds more people (Fairfield County/up to New Haven).

• YanksFan in MA says:

I work in Glastonbury right outside Hartford. Even there it skews Yankees. CT is a clear Yankee state and it’s not even close.

3. Kiersten says:

That looks insanely inaccurate.

4. Scabbage says:

All of Western Canada is going to be a shitshow

5. beantownbosoxh8er says:

I shifted the balance here in Boston for us.

6. McRibisBack says:

This map just isn’t accurate. That’s not the Yankee fan in me talking, it’s the skeptical journalist in me talking.

7. yankthemike says:

I made up an address in western CT to vote… one more for the “great cause”

8. Bulasteve says:

Can’t believe the scope of Atlanta Brave fans….. wow.

9. ND Mike says:

+1 Yankees fan in ND… my work here is done.

10. Mister Delaware says:

I’m the puke green spot just north of Boston!

11. Bulasteve says:

Denver represented for the Yankees.

12. Henry the Horse says:

I live in Billings, Montana, and while you are right about it not being a hotbed for people (NYC has something like 10 times as many people as the entire state of Montana,) I would say baseball is pretty big. The problem is that the closest teams geographically are less than appealing (save for some diehard Twins fans.) For that reason, most are band-wagoners. I swear, in the last 7 years, I have seen more Red Sox memorabilia than cattle (which is saying a lot!) Before that, everybody was a Mariner fan. Before that, the Braves. The problem with this is that most of the people I am surrounded with HATE the Yankees. Which I wouldn’t mind so much if they could come up with deeper insults that than tired, “purchased championships” routine.

13. GHOST says:

The map is completely skewed. And its not only with how they depicted the base for the Yankees but, the Brewers have fans? And The Astros Get Dwarwed by base terms by the Rangers. And while Houston is known to be popularized in south Texas more than the rest of the state, I doubt its by that size as the map shows.

14. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

1. Salute to the Springsteen reference.
    2. I’m a native and resident of Florida, and there’s NO WAY that the Marlins and/or the Rays could dominate the state. In South Florida you’re either a Yankee fan, Red Sox fan, and there seems to be a sizable population of Cubs, Cardinals and Mets fans. In central to northern Florida, there’s plenty of Yankees, Red Sox and, surprisingly, Twins fans.

Anyway, the point is: Marlins fans don’t exist.

15. Back in the Saddle says:

I’m one of many Yankee fans in Missoula, MT. even though our local minor league baseball team is a rookie level Diamondbacks farm club. Baseball is growing fast in our community since the Osprey came to town. Unfortunately, the Mariners are the closest show and are on local radio, but I see more Yankee gear than Mariner or other major league team. GO YANKS!!! #28 in 2011!!!!!

16. Ben in Westchester says:

This map loses all credibility when still calling the Rays the Devil Rays.