Feb

Open Thread: Andy Pettitte

(AP Photo/ John Bazemore)

Joe and I talked about it on the podcast earlier today, but I figured I’d bring it up here for discussion purposes. My signature Andy Pettitte moment, so to speak, is Game Five of the 1996 World Series. I was young, just a few days away from my 15th birthday at the time, and that game was one of the first that I can remember actually feeling. You know what I mean, that feeling of living and dying on every pitch, that stress that comes with not knowing what’s going to happen next and having no control over it. That feeling didn’t kick in until about the sixth or seventh inning, after the Yankees scored their lone run and we were able to starting counting down the outs on one hand. That was my first championship as a Yankee fan and I’m never ever ever going to forget it. Game Five was a huge part of it, all because of that guy right up there. I’m gonna miss the big lug.

* * *

Anyways, here’s your open thread on this chilly, somber evening. The Devils are playing the Rangers in the Garden, which sums up the night in local sports. Talk about whatever you want, but I suspect Andy’s name will come up once or twice.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

I won’t lie. I’ve been crying about this on and off all day. I’ve been a mess. But I tried to put words to paper, so to speak. If any of you are at all interested:

• Bryan L says:

Very, very good piece.

• LarryM.,Fl. says:

Bexarama that was great. We are many years apart in age but have similar likes. Both die hard Yankee fans who have watched this team in good and bad times. Had a favorite player on the Yanks who made us love the game. But your hero is a good man who has his priorities in the right place. Mine did not. Both played the game to win and win they did. Andy is ending his career on top. Mickey did not and played about 4 years too long.

Mickey’s in the Hall of Fame which he deserves, stats proof his selection. God knows what he could have accomplished if, only if. Andy may never be selected to the Hall of Fame and I don’t think he cares as long as his family is OK because Andy is a special man. I wish him luck with the next phase of his life and hope he makes some appearances at the big ballpark in the Bronx.

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Wow. Very nice piece.

• SamVa says:

Wow… that was incredibly moving..
      I hope somehow Andy gets to read it.. I feel like he should know how much he influenced your love of the game.

• Gerald Williams says:

I just talked to Andy, he’s coming back!

(I wish)

• Stratman9652 says:

Absolutely incredibly moving Bex. I wish I had that kind of history watching the Core Four come up. Unfortunately, I found my love for baseball when these guys are on the way out. I’m not sure which is worse.

• NZYankeeFan says:

Great piece of writing Bex. I really envy your ability to convey your passion for the sport, team and players, while at the same time feeling sympathy for your “loss”.
      Commiserations from the other side of the world!

• Danny says:

Girl I’m a few years older than u but a lot of what u said u felt at different times I feel the same. It was a great read and I will miss seeing 46 on the mound. Ur the type of girl I need to marry. Only 29 jk lol

2. squishy jello person says:

Bexy and I were at Andy’s last game. Kind of crazy.

3. Bryan L says:

I just heard the news recently, I was at school all day.

Needless to say, I’m gonna miss the guy a whole fucking lot. A “Thank you” for what he did for this franchise isn’t even enough, all I can say is best of luck. We’re gonna miss ya bud.

4. Esteban says:

If you want to feel old, I think 15 is older than some commenters here cough cough Carlosologist cough cough.

This sucks that all the players that I grew up with are getting old and retiring. First it was Bernie, now it’s Pettitte, next it’ll be Posada. I guess I’m lucky to have been able to watch all of them in the primes of their careers and I’ll be able to tell my kids or grandkids how it was to watch them, in the same way that our parents and grandparents tell us how it was to watch Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra (etc.).

5. Bryan L says:

Also, I’m really hoping Andy shows up at Old Timers Day 2011.

6. Kiersten says:

I made a Pettitte wallpaper today if anybody would like to use it.

7. Steve H says:

Playoff ERA 0.05 lower than regular season
    Gave up 5+ earned runs in 17% of playoff starts
    0 CG’s
    Lost 14% of games in which he gave up 2 ER or less
    Allowed 2 ER or less in 53% of starts
    Record: 19-10

I think we often forget that pitcher wins are a useless stat in the playoffs as well as the regular season. Pitcher A was simply a better postseason pitcher than Pitcher B, but they have much different perceptions in their postseason careers. A is Glavine, B is Pettitte.

• Esteban says:

But you don’t understand, Pettitte *knew* how to win in the playoffs. Glavine clearly didn’t.

*Disclaimer*
      Some or all of the above may or may not have have been serious.

However, I will say that I think Glavine will get vastly overrated because of his win total.

8. phughesisgod says:

Rarely do I post here, but I read alot and felt the need to today.

I have been very depressed over this today, but I expected it. I will greatly miss seeing Pettitte take the mound. Needless to say, I will be drinking my sorrows away over this one tonight and the rest of the weekend.

9. Michael Mirabella says:

1.Sabathia
    2.Hughes
    3.Burnett(shudder)
    4.Nova
    5.Garcia?

Woulda looked a whole lot better with Pettitte in there.

10. BigBlueAL says:

Whenever I think of Andy Pettitte I immediately think of Game 5 of the 1996 WS.

Although the first time I had that “feeling” as Mike described was in Game 5 of the 1995 ALDS vs Seattle unfortunately lol.

• Guest says:

Great, great call. I was 12. First and, I think, last time I turned of a game because the tension was just too high and I couldn’t take it anymore. Definitely had “the feeling” that night.

I went to sleep right before extras and shot out of bed the next morning. I immediately turned on the morning news (no cable) to see the results. My heart sank when the sportscaster didn’t go into “wrap up the highlight” mode after he mentioned our taking the lead in the top of the 11th. The highlight next showed Edgar Martinez–again!!–deliver the dagger. To this day, I am haunted by the image of Ken Griffey Jr.’s huge smile at the bottom of a pile of Mariners. Still hurts. Glad I didn’t watch it live.

All of this, of course, made 1996 even sweeter. And in that run, other than “Hayes…has room…,” no moment was more joyous than watching my favorite player, Paul O’neill, limp his way to catch Louis Polonia’s gapper to close out game five. And that cherished memory was made possible by Dandy Andy’s absolute masterpiece.

Thank you for salving the wounds of ’95, Andy. Thank you for that…and so much more.

#46.

11. Sad says:

The worst thing about this is that he’s not going out on a high or leaving the team in a position of strength. He can’t get motivated when he’s really needed and physically feeling good?

Sad that he’s gone, sad about the way he’s going, a whimper not a bang seems hardly fitting.

12. ultimate913 says:

I’m amazed no one has mentioned the schedule yet which was just released. Yankees start the season at home with a 3 game series against the Tigers(4 game series at home against the Twins right after) and end the season on the road at TB for a 3 game series(3 game home series against BOS right before).

13. JFH says:

Re: the signature moment as noted by Axisa.

It was literally a signature moment for me. Pettitte signed a world series commemorative ball for my friend (who then gave the ball to me) as he was getting on the bus to go to Fulton County Stadium and pitch in that game. I still have that ball.

Do you think Antique Roadshow will give it good appraisal value in 10 years?

14. Ted Nelson says:

Reposting this here because have been beating this drum all day and gotten very little response:

2010
    #1 CC 5.1 WAR
    #2 Hughes 2.4 WAR
    #3 Burnett 1.3 WAR
    #4 Pettitte – Moseley – Gaudin 1.2 WAR
    #5 Nova + Mitre – Javy 0.3 WAR
    Total = 10.3 WAR

2010
    #1 CC 5.1 WAR
    #2 Hughes 2.4 WAR
    #3 Burnett 1.3 WAR
    #4 Garcia 1.3 WAR
    #5 Nova 0.5 WAR (in 42 innings)
    Total = 10.6

That was CC’s worst season since 2005 and Burnett’s worst since 2004 (worst healthy season ever). They’re as likely to bounce back as to be in decline (CC is only 30 this season, AJ 34). Hughes could step forward, backward, or sideways. I don’t know. Garcia had a higher WAR, 1.6, in 2009 than 2010, so it’s not his first successful season since 1945 or whatever people are saying. And Nova showed promise in 42 innings. If he manages the same success he’d have 1.8 WAR in 150 innings or 2.4 in 200 innings.

CC and Burnett averaged 6.6 and 3.8 WAR from 06-09, respectively. Burnett is theoretically a decline risk at 34, but less so CC at 30 (though he does have a lot of miles on his arm…).

Best realistic case maybe CC = 6-7 WAR, Burnett = 2.8-3.8 WAR, Hughes = 2.5-3.5 WAR, Nova/#4 = 1-2 WAR, and Garcia/#5 = 0.5-1.5 WAR… So, best case 12.8 to 16.8 WAR or an improvement of 2.5 to 6.5 WAR with no major addition. Mid-season acquisition(s)/call-up(s) could boost or solidify that.
    Of course EVERYONE could be injured, but realistically I don’t see worse than maybe 8 WAR from the rotation (even if CC = 0 that’s 1.6 per 5 starters), or only 2.3 below last season. And if everyone gets hurt the Yankees would be screwed pretty much no matter what.

I don’t see much reason to freak out. I think the chances of the rotation being better than last season are about on par with the chances it’s worse. Sox should be better (mostly due to health), but Rays should be at least a bit worse.

• BigBlueAL says:

The real question Ted is, can the Knicks sweep the Sixers this weekend to solidify their hold on the 6th seed?? lol

You do realize you are being missed at a certain website.

• Matt P. says:

You can add up all the WAR you want but fact is the Yankees were smoked by the Rangers in the playoffs because they did not have enough starting pitching. Now they have less starting pitching than they did a year ago. I think it’s delusional to think the Yanks rotation is better than they were last year when you have no clue what you’re gonna get from 3 of the 5 starters unless Cashman can add a MAJOR pitcher (legitimate number 2 or 3 starter) not some back of the rotation crap that’s been discussed lately.

• bexarama says:

The Yankees were smoked by the Rangers in the playoffs because Hughes had a bad series for whatever reason (Maybe he was gassed. Maybe he was tipping his pitches. Maybe he was just not good for two starts, it’s happened before.), and they faced Cliff Lee at his best in Game 3.

• Matt P. says:

Out of 6 games, the Yankees only got 2 decent starts (the best of which was Pettite) so it was a lot more than Hughes that went wrong in that series.

• Ted Nelson says:

A. The Rangers series was the ALCS. First you have to qualify for the playoffs. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. If they qualify then by the playoffs the Yankees may well have found a legit #2, 3, and 4 either internally or through trade.

B. I think it was more than the starters in the Rangers series. They couldn’t much hit the Rangers pitching and their bullpen had some awful games too. It was just a general failure. They just got beat.

One of the worst starts they got was from CC, and you just don’t expect that to happen much. Lee also struggled in the WS, I’ll still take either CC or Lee in a 2011 postseason start. And Burnett was giving them a nice start until that one HR.

C. I don’t think it’s delusional. Uncertain does not mean bad. Players don’t always fall below expectations. Last season 4 of 5 Yankee starters fell below expectations. That’s doesn’t mean if will happen again.

My point, also, is that expectations for Burnett, Garcia, and maybe Nova should be higher than the pessimistic one ppl are throwing out there. That’s where their historical WARs come in.

D. Last season did you have any idea what starters 2-5 would give you on average? Andy missed 1/3 of the season and was replaced by sub-replacement level guys. Hughes had a lower percentage quality starts than Garcia last season. Burnett? You knew what you were getting more when Nova came up than with Javy. So, not sure how not knowing what you’re getting is worse than last season when you often knew what you were getting: crap.

15. Steve H says:

If you were handed an NFL franchise team and could pick any current QB (at their current age) to start your team, who would you take?

• Teh Comp Pick says:

#1) Matt Ryan
      #2) Aaron Rogers

• Mike Axisa says:

I’d probably still take Peyton.

• Esteban says:

I was gonna tease you and Jimmy McNulty and say Mark Sanchez but: probably Aaron Rodgers. He’s still pretty young and obviously very good. Brady and Peyton are still obviously very good, but they’re getting up there in age. As much as Roesthisberger’s Steelers have won, he doesn’t excite me or stand out as a great QB by his own merits. Now that I’m writing this, I’m not sure where to put Brees and Rivers.

• SamVa says:

For one year… Vick or Peyton Manning

For the next five years either Ryan or Rodgers

Same question for one WR and HB

• Teh Comp Pick says:

Fitzgerald at WR is pretty easy. HB is a much tougher call but I’ll take AP I suppose.

• with HB i’d go with chris johnson, but think hard about charles, peterson, and MJD. really no wrong answer there.
        at WR i’d go with andre johnson. he is just amazing. i’d think hard about calvin johnson, fitzgerald, jennings, and white.
        actually, calvin is only 25, he’s a pretty tempting choice, but i’m still sticking with andre.

• Steve H says:

I’d go Fitzgerald at WR. RB is tough, first thought is AP, but not sure how long he’s going to be around with the pounding he takes. As good as he’s been the past 2 years, they are declines from his first 2 years. He’s probably still who I’d go with though, but with some trepidation.

• Chris says:

Manning by far.

No one seems to notice that the Eagles only scored 10 more points in 2010 than in 2009. Replacing the washed up McNabb with the MVP candidate Vick while allowing most of their key offensive weapons to get a year older and closer to their primes only gave the team a 10 point upgrade in scoring. Perhaps Vick isn’t quite as good as he’s made out to be?

• Rick says:

Sam Bradford… Kid is a stud… and Then The Garaji as my defensive player

• Steve H says:

Personally I’d go with Rodgers or Roethlisberger. They can both succeed with subpar offensive lines and have both thrived playing in cold weather cities which is huge come playoff time. They’re also both young enough to have 5+ years left of their primes. I’d put Rivers just a notch below because I think he needs more help from his O-line and hasn’t had success playing in cold weather (he obviously hasn’t had the opportunity either).

• YankeesJunkie says:

Rodgers and it is not particularly close.

• Jerome S. says:

rodgers

no love for phillip rivers, anyone?

• SamVa says:

like… just not love.. if you had the choice of any QB i’m going to go with he wouldn’t be in the conversation… Too much talent above him..
        I would gladly take him if i was… say… the Redskins right now.

• Kramerica Industries says:

That Josh Freeman is also pretty good.

• bexarama says:

Rodgers or Rivers. Honorary mention to Josh Freeman.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Aaron frickin Rodgers and it’s not even close. Cheap deal for now and he’s young too.

Easy choice.

• Rick says:

Up until the start of the playoffs, you would not have said that it wouldn’t be close. In fact, you probably would have taken Matt Ryan. Same with baseball, you’re judging on a small sample size.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Uhm no. Not at all. First year of starting he passes for 4000 yards with 13 picks. That’s ridiculous. I messed up on his age as he’s 27 but he’s still a monster.

I don’t know how you can argue Bradford can even touch Aaron Rodgers right now.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

And to clarify I think Bradford in2 years will be a beats but right now you choose Rodgers all day every day.

• Rick says:

Look at the weapons Rodgers has the weapons Bradford has. Factor in the age, this was Bradford’s first year. He took a team that should have had one win and kept them in the playoff hunt, granted in a bad division, all year. The kid is a monster. 3500 yards as a first year starter with no O-Line. Name his number one wideout.

16. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

I think there’s no doubt Pettitte will get a shout on opening day roll call.

17. It'sATarp says:

Fangraphs think we should trade for Barry Zito…it would be logical if it wasn’t for his outrageous contract.

• The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

The Yankees need a legit number 2. They’ll be wild card contenders down to the very last game with the current rotation. But they’ll get eaten up alive during playoff time when it’s CC or Hughes or die. A trade should go after a number 2 guy.

Zito’s being paid like he’s that guy but he definitely is not.

• MannyGee says:

the trade will be for an innings eater, like a Lowe or Maholm… The only other pitchers that will be available will be from Tampa, who won’t be looking to trade intra-division

Sorry, but not thinking Wainright or Cain will be walking through that door in July…

• bexarama says:

You can’t say much definitively in February about what’s going to happen in July.

(I seriously don’t think Cain will be walking through the door, or Wainwright. Carpenter might be, though. Depends on where the Cardinals are.)

• YankeesJunkie says:

It would be logical if he wouldn’t you know…suck.

18. Big Bertha says:

Our playoff hopes were hinging on Andy returning. This is another reason why Cashman needs to go. He did not have a plan B. Cashman compared Andy Pettitte’s retirement to Brett Favre’s retirement from the Packers. The difference is that Green Bay has a competent GM that had a backup plan in place. Now they’re one of the youngest teams in the league and in the Superbowl. Their replacement for Favre is one of the best in the league. Cashman’s solution is to sign Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia as our 4th and 5th starters. He lost out on Cliff Lee twice with unlimited resources. Cashman needs to go.

19. radnom says:

Homer Simpson: Awww … 20 dollars!? I wanted a peanut.

Homer’s brain: 20 dollars can buy many peanuts!

Homer Simpson: Explain how.

Homer’s brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

Homer Simpson: Woo hoo!

20. Ivan says:

Thanks Andy Pettitte for all the great moments and contributions to the Yankee organizations. You will be miss no doubt.

21. MannyGee says:

For what its worth, I am glad he is at least leaving at the top of his game and not limping himself out onto the mound every 5th game (looking at you, Rocket)…

22. bakekrukow412 says:

I still think Andy will turn up in George’s bawx come May.

23. Matt P. says:

I hate to say it but 2011 may end up being a transition year which I thought was unthinkable for a team with a $200+ million dollar payroll.

24. Avi says:

The Yanks almost definitely have to part with at least one of their upper tier prospects now that Andy is gone. I mean Montero, Betances, Banuelos, Brackman and Sanchez by upper tier. If Pettitte came back they could’ve gone into the season with their current rotation and maybe try to add to it using the Warren and Phelps of the world if they wanted to. Sucks..

25. RedSoxNation says:

Hey Brian, Theo is laughing at you right now!!!!!!

• Mike Axisa says:

The Red Sox have the same number of playoff wins as the Pirates over the last two years. Theo shouldn’t be laughing at anything.

• RedSoxNation says:

Maybe so but we’re primed to win our 3rd world championship in 7 years while the Yankees have been reduced to throwing shit up against the wall (Garcia and Colon) and hope something sticks.

• Mike Axisa says:

The Red Sox were primed for a title last year too. You shouldn’t get too far ahead of yourself.

Enjoy it now, because Papelbon’s going to fuck it up later.

• RedSoxNation says:

You’re not gonna get off that easy with Bard and Jenks on board. Paps won’t get the chance to fuck things up this time around.
            I can’t wait to see what A-gon, Youkalis, Pedroia and Crawford are going to do to Colon, Garcia and Mitre.

• Mike Axisa says:

Can’t even spell your best player’s name right…

• I’d like to see Gonzalez, Youkilis, Pedroia and Crawford try and get a hit off Soriano and Joba, who were better (2.81 FIP and 2.98 FIP respectively) than Bard and Jenks (3.37 FIP and 2.59 FIP respectively). Papelbon is still going to fuck things up, you can’t run away from that fact.

I also can’t wait to see what Teixeira, A-Rod, Cano, and Swisher do to Matsuzaka, Lackey, Beckett, and Buchholz. Buchholz may have had the shiny ERA, but he’s gonna have a hard crash back to reality in 2011. Beckett isn’t going to be as bad as he was last season, but he’s an injury risk. Lackey is also an injury risk and he’s not going to be a lot better than league average. Dice-K is terrible no matter which way you slice it.

So before you come into our place and insult us, realize that your situation is much worse than ours. We have two front-line guys in CC and Hughes. Burnett can and will bounce back, though he’s as much of an injury risk as Beckett. Nova is unproven, and that combo of Mitre/Colon/Garcia has the possibility to be league average. It won’t be pretty, but it’ll get the job done until we go over the top and get ourselves a starter. The Yanks actually go and use their financial might. All the Red Sox do is sit on their hands and complain that they are a small market team.

• RedSoxNation says:

What??? No GM in baseball would trade the Red Sox roster for the yankees today. Starting pitching is what wins and yours pretty much starts and ends with Sabathia.

• Your starting pitching starts and ends with Lester. He’s the only one on that roster that can be counted on for a full season. Everyone else is either old, hurt, or unproven.

Our starting pitching starts with Sabathia and Hughes. Sabathia is Sabathia, Hughes has the potential to be a solid number two guy for the next few years. He started to go the right way last season. 2011 will be his breakthrough.

I’m not being a homer here, but if I were a GM, I’d trade for the Yanks roster over the Red Sox roster in a heartbeat. The outfield is younger and produces for less than the price of your left fielder. The infield is easily the best in baseball. Teixeira is better than Gonzalez. He can actually hit left-handed pitching. Cano is miles ahead of Pedroia. Cano can actually stay on the field. Jeter and Scutaro are a wash, I’ll give you that. A-Rod is still better than Youk, even as he enters his decline phase. Martin and Montero are better than Varitek and Saltalamachhia. I already ripped into your starting pitching.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Meh. I’d say the Red Sox are absolutely better than the Yankees right now. Fortunately, October is a long way off, and a lot can happen before then.

• RedSoxNation says:

You are DELUSIONAL. Lester, Buchholz, Beckett, Lackey and Dice K shits all over your starting rotation and is the best in baseball behind only Phillie and San Fran. Yankees aren’t even in the top 10.

• Mike Axisa says:

Hah, how’s Beckett’s back and Dice-K’s whatever? Let’s see Buchholz keep up the magic act with no strikeouts.

Tampa’s rotation is better, so is the White Sox’s.

That sounds weird … White Sox’s.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Lester = elite.

Buchholz = good but not as good as his basic numbers indicated last season.

Beckett = Burnett-esque wild card.

Lackey = average innings eater.

Dice-K = horriawful.

That’s not exactly the ’98 Braves.

• RedSoxNation says:

Maybe so but at least our 4th and 5th starters aren’t whoever sucks the least out of garcia, colon, mitre, prior and nova. That’s more comparable to the royals or indians rotation than it is to the Red Sox.

• bexarama says:

Pretty sure Nova’s like the ace of the Royals.

• S says:

And yours ends after Lester. Beckett is just as inconsistent as Burnett, Lackey hasn’t been good in 2 yrs, and Dice-K…..at least Dice-K has the 20 minute long windup/swivel hips thing.

Bullpen wise, your seriously going to try to compare the Greatest Reliever to ever and will ever walk this earth with the river dancing douchebag Papelbon. That is an easy decision so is the Soriano and Jenks (hint it isn’t Jenks) and Bard is without a doubt but little Houdini can be just as vicious.

Our back-end aren’t household names but if you start doubting the yankee’s and what they are capable of your in for a rude awakening.

The sox have pulled an admirable “evil empire” impression…but the The Yankees are Pure Evil and that doesn’t die, it gets stronger.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Hughes isn’t a front-line guy – at least not yet.

• Championships are clearly won in February. If that were true, then the Yanks have won 14 straight titles.

• bexarama says:

Can’t wait til you’re real quiet in October, I guess

• Jerome S. says:

I hope you stick around.

• JerseyDutch says:

A troll. How original. You’re cool, dude.

26. Reggie C. says:

Does Cashman listen and weigh the possibilities if he gets a call from Kenny Williams in which:

Yanks get JAKE PEAVY (plus full salary commitment)
    White Sox get Nova, David Adams, and one B-level pitching prospect (Stoneburner or DJ Mitchell or JoRam)

Peavy might miss the first month of the season but the progress reports are positive so he might make end up missing fewer games than usual. The White Sox could then transition Chris Sale back to the rotation or place Nova at the 5 spot while freeing up so serious money.

• Reggie C. says:

By full salary commitment I mean the Yanks don’t get any salary RELIEF from the White Sox.

• Mike Axisa says:

You’re giving up more than the White Sox gave up for Peavy in the first place.

• Reggie C. says:

understood. but i’m trying to account for the disparity in leverage here. kenny williams should trade Peavy if it means he can extend some of the youngsters , but that doesn’t mean Kenny won’t try to gouge us alittle.

My hypothetical package ain’t that bad.

• I might give that up for Floyd and definitely for Danks, but no other starter on that team (i.e. Jackson or Peavy).

• I’d only consider a deal at midseason if/when:

A) Peavy is effective
      B) Peavy proves he is completely healthy (even though the injury he had was kind of a freak injury)

He’s also owed 25M over the next season and a half, so it will have to be a straight salary dump with a couple of C prospects thrown in.

• Reggie C. says:

I’m fine with this approach. However, a healthy, effective Peavy, even in a straight salary dump, would likely cost us more than a couple of C-level prospects.

• Ted Nelson says:

“That my hypothetical proposal doesnt sound crazy right now (to me) reflects my state of worry for the rotation at this moment.”

It’s a weakness, but I would not be in a “state of worry.” Javy contributed -0.2 WAR to last season’s team, he was below replacement level. Gaudin and Moseley combined for -1.1 WAR. Andy had +2.3 WAR. That’s a net of +1 WAR lost from last season. Given that CC and AJ had career worst type seasons in 2010, I really would not expect the rotation to fall off much from last season. Just with what’s in house, not even considering trades.

The craziest thing about your trade proposal, in my opinion, is that the White Sox would go for it. They’re spending money left and right trying to compete. Are they suddenly going to dump a top-of-the-rotation starter for peanuts because they get cheap?

• Ted Nelson says:

If the Sox were pinching pennies I’m not sure they would have signed Konerko, Dunn, and Cain this offseason. Plus they have both Buehrle, Pierre, and Jackson coming off the books, freeing up $30.85 mill annually. Then $28.5 mill coming off the book after 2012 between Peavy, Teahan, and Pierzynski. They’re a big market team. I wouldn’t assume based on all this that they’re desperate for a salary dump.

On the other hand, their farm system is pretty awful. They might use some of those expiring guys to restock on cheap young players if out of contention or Sale is starting, that I could buy.

27. NJYankeefan says:

I’ll pass on Peavy. The guy hasn’t been healthy in 2 years and he didn’t exactly light up the AL last year when he did pitch.

• Reggie C. says:

We’re keeping all three killa-Bs and Montero and Sanchez … the cream of the farm stays intact.

Peavy likely pitched hurt over a small stretch last season . I still like the peripherals. Peavy’s recent injuries are irksome, but hey,if his star hadn’t waned he likely wouldnt be available. I honestly think he’s available, ESPECIALLY if the Yanks are willing to take on all the money.

• Avi says:

I actually like Peavy. He won’t be 30 till May and was pitching at an elite level not too long ago. Also his injury is to his lat (upper back) and not his shoulder or elbow. He’s due $37M over the next 2 years or $18.5M average per year when you include his $4M buyout for 2013. I would think you wouldn’t have to give anything of significance if you’re picking up all the money. I think it’s quite possible the White Sox would even subsidize his contract to unload it. You can wait to see if he’s healthy/effective but the price then goes up.
        Listen, there aren’t any great options. I think Peavy is a decent one.

• Ted Nelson says:

Again, why are the Sox desperate for money?

-They play in a huge market.
          -They just went out and spent tons of cash this offseason.
          -They have 3 contracts for $30.85 mill coming off the books after 2011 and $28.5 mill after 2012.
          -They’ve trying to contend, and apparently the plan involves dong so with a very expensive rotation since they keep bring in expensive starters.
          -They have perfect timing in terms of Denks and Floyd hitting free agency after Buerhle and Peavy are off the books.

What part of that screams “we want to dump a top-of-the-rotation starter?”

• Ted Nelson says:

Why are the Sox desperate for money?

28. NJYankeefan says:

I’ll bet the owners of the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters wish they could post Yu Darvish tonight. Cashman would probably throw in his right kidney and part of his liver to close the deal.

29. Avi says:

The Angels are looking for a lead off hitter http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c.....index.html
    I wonder if we can match up with them using Brett Gardner. Gardner and Burnett for Haren..

• Tom Zig says:

why would they want Burnett?

• Avi says:

Why would they want Vernon Wells?

• Avi says:

Just saying that if they’re truly looking for a lead off hitter the Yanks should engage them using BG as bait. I sure they have.

• NJYankeeFan says:

Gardner not only faded in the 2nd half but he’s coming off wrist surgery. I don’t think the Angels would trade a Juggs machine for him at this point let alone Dan Haren.

• Avi says:

I think you’re wrong about that. Gardner has a lot of value.

• mbonzo says:

I agree Gardner has value, but Burnett has negative value.

First we have to assume that the Angels FO likes Gardner. Second, they obviously want to contend this year by trading for Wells, and they won’t be doing that by trading away top of the rotation pitchers. For them, Kazmir and Pineiro, possibly Santana are on the trading block. Of those guys, only Santana would be worth a trade for Gardner. The Angels would probably want a top pitching prospect along with Gardner and a throw in prospect for Santana, which I’m not sure about.

• FIPster Doofus says:

The same team that took on Vernon Wells’ money wouldn’t trade a Juggs machine for a 5-fWAR left fielder? Their loss.

• NJYankeeFan says:

Thing is I don’t think too many people are convinced gardner can be a 5 WAR left fielder again, me included. KLaw, whose opinion I really respect sure doesn’t. I hope I’m wrong.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’ll be surprised if he’s 5 WAR again. Defense fluctuates year to year like everything else, and so much of his value is tied up in his glove. Last year was basically the best case scenario on both sides of the ball.

• NJYankeeFan says:

Yeah I hate to say it but I have a bad feeling that the yankees are going to end up having to look for an upgrade in left field for 2012.

• Avi says:

I think he’ll walk as often which will keep his OBP high and if he can ever become a good bunter he might post a .400 OBP. Without looking at his hit charts Gardner seems to inside out a lot of balls to the short stop hole. If he becomes a legit bunt threat the opposing 3rd baseman is going to have to play a few steps in for him, opening up that hole. So the bunts will help him in two ways really.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I don’t expect 5 fWAR going forward. However, that doesn’t mean Gardner can’t be a legit starter.

Exhibit A: Franklin Gutierrez was a slightly above-average hitter in 2009 and a godly fielder, which begat a 6.1 fWAR. He took pretty big dips both offensively and defensively last season, but was still a decent contributor (2.3 fWAR). The same might happen with Gardner.

Ultimately, Gardner is a good, cheap player who can get on base, steal bases, and play defense. There’s value to his game even if he’s not a 5-fWAR guy in the future.

• Shaun says:

The bad 2nd half (still got on base at a great clip) came because of the wrist injury early in the 2nd half.

• NJYankeeFan says:

It’s gonna take a lot more than that to land Haren.

• Steve H says:

I don’t see them wanting Burnett, but considering they were going to give Crawford 100+ million, I can definitely see them having an interest in Gardner, who is a Crawford-lite type of player. At this point though, with Wells, I don’t see them being interested any longer though, especially since they think Wells can still play CF.

30. camilo Gerardo says:

it is pretty cool that Andy, Po, Mo and Jeter will retire in order like that. Everyone gets their own Farewell

31. Reggie C. says:

I can now look forward to the impending battle of the wash-outs: Colon v Garcia v Prior v Mitre …

Spring Training 2011! Can’t. WAIT. wait…

32. NJYankeeFan says:

It’s gonna take a lot more than that to land Haren.

33. stuart a says:

i will miss you andy. a good guy and a real good pitcher. borderline HOF but a very good pitcher who had a very good career.

the windbag HOF voters are mainly windbags and have no clue.

34. Tom Merritt says:

I really believe the main driver behind this is the Clemens trial this summer in which he is the prosecution’s main witness. I don’t think he feels that he could handle the stress of pitching while that trial is going on. Otherwise, I think he would be coming back to pitch this season. By the way, I hope Clemens is found guilty and that he ends up in prison where he belongs.