- For the most part, all the position players reported on time and took their physicals today. The one exception is Robbie Cano, who mixed up his dates and will take his physical when he reports tomorrow. Brian Cashman said his second baseman will not be fined even though he did not have permission to report late. (Mark Feinsand)
- The first full squad workout will take place tomorrow, but a few guys were seen taking grounders and batting practice and what not. Derek Jeter will hold a press conference on Monday, Alex Rodriguez on Tuesday. No particular reason, they’re just two high-profile players that will be popular media targets, so they’re going to meet with them in an organized setting. (Chad Jennings)
- Mark Prior was among the pitchers that got individual attention from Larry Rothschild in a bullpen session this morning. Those two know each other from their days with the Cubbies. (Jennings)
- “It’s fun because this year, we’re the underdogs,” said Mark Teixeira, who acknowledged that no one will feel sorry for a team with a $200M payroll. We had some more Tex-related news this morning. (Mark Feinsand & Marc Carig)
- “Last year for me, on a personal note, was a great year, almost kind of like a breakout year,” said Nick Swisher. “So now it’s time to add on to that … That’s the great thing about playing for the Yankees; every year you take the field you feel you have a chance to win the World Series.” (Erik Boland)
Here’s your open thread for this windy Saturday night. Both the Devils and Islanders are in action, plus there’s the NBA Skills Competition or whatever they call it as well. Talk about whatever, just don’t be a dick.