Feb

Open Thread: February 24th Camp Notes

MFIFKY. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

Here’s a recap of today’s action…

• CC Sabathia threw an early morning batting practice session with Joe Girardi, Yogi Berra, Larry Rothschild, and others watching. He threw around 30 pitches and felt he kept his mechanics together, saying his stamina was better after the weight loss. (Chad Jennings, Marc Carig & Erik Boland)
  • Rafael Soriano threw a bullpen session with Jorge Posada behind the plate while Derek Jeter took some hacks against Sergio Mitre. Ground ball pitcher against ground ball hitter? Poor worms. (Carig & Carig)
  • Brian Cashman said that Andrew Brackman has been the most impressive young pitcher in camp so far, but he also mentioned David Phelps, Adam Warren, Hector Noesi, and Manny Banuelos. “You might see all of them [in 2011],” said the GM. (Jack Curry)
  • Position players did a bunch of mundane field drills, including cut-off man work on throws from the outfield. Russell Martin did some blocking drills, but Frankie Cervelli is the likely starter behind the plate for Saturday’s Grapefruit League opener. (Mark Feinsand, Bryan Hoch & Carig)
  • Joe Girardi misspoke when he revealed the Spring Training rotation the other day. Phil Hughes will start the fourth game, A.J. Burnett the fifth game instead of vice versa. He said not to read anything into the order, and I wouldn’t either. It’s still February. (Jennings)
  • Apparently the Yankees have a “director of optimal performance” by the name of Chad Bohling. The players watched him give a presentation this morning on … optimizing performance? I guess. (Jennings)
  • As for the annual team building exercise (the pool hall, arcade, etc.), that’ll happen later on in camp. There’s too much going on right now. (Carig)

This is your open thread for the evening. The Isles are the only local team in action, so yeah. Looks like The Office and Parks & Rec for me. Talk about whatever you like, just be cool.

1. Guys, who do you think is the more valuable player for a team?
    .300/.400/.375 with 30 steals and well-above-average defense in a CF, or
    .275/.350/.450 with 20 homers and below-average defense at C?

2. squishy jello person says:

That. is. a dog. rescued. by. dolphins.

3. Sean says:

If you’re watching the office + parks & rec you should watch community too

• Mike Axisa says:

Tried it on more than one occasion. Not feelin’ it.

• Mike HC says:

Agreed. I can’t get into Community and also tried a couple of times. Also can’t get into Outsourced. I like the Office and Parks and Rec too. Along with 30 rock.

• Ryan says:

ehh the office is great, but parks is just an office ripoff, and 30 rock is severely overrated

try modern family.. now that is funny

• Mike HC says:

yea, I like Modern Family better than all of those

• Pasqua says:

Parks is certainly shot in the same style as The Office, but they have made great strides in the last year to move Poehler’s character away from the Michael Scott-school of naivety and stupidity. Plus, the supporting cast is unreal. If you’ve not watched it in a while, I’d highly recommend taking another shot.

• Pasqua says:

I’m afraid that Community is going to run out of gimmick-episodes and that will spell the death of it. They hit their stride with the action movie parody and have carried it well (zombies, D&D, etc.) since, but I feel like they’ve done it at the expense of being able to tell a simple story when they have to / need to.

• Poopy Pants says:

Community is awful. Not a laugh to be had.

4. Granderslam says:

With all these rumors floating around (Buehrle, Carpenter, Liriano), any chance the Yankees can make a decent trade before the season starts or is July still more likely?

• CS Yankee says:

I see it as a four part process;
      1) Break camp with what (we got) looks best.
      2) Promote from AAA when it hits the fan or DL
      3) Trade once you know who is having a great season on a suckie team or who is undervalued (i.e. Wood of ’10).
      4) Promote and adjust once rosters expand, keep the strong heading into postseason.

5. Just wondering, does the “director of optimal performance” have someone who optimizes his performance? If not, don’t you think he should? I mean, how can he be expected to optimize every else’s performance if he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed?

6. carramrod says:

Community suuuucks! Nothing funny about it..

7. Did anyone hear about this?

Epstein had referred to the background check they did on Crawford in a radio interview last week with Boston sports radio station WEEI.

“The more we dug on him, and we covered him as if we were privately investigating him. … We had a scout on him literally the last three, four months of the season at the ballpark, away from the ballpark,” he said.

Epstein said Tuesday that the process they followed with Crawford was no different than the one they follow with any major free agent signing.

Crawford said he was not certain at what stage in the process Epstein told him, but thought it was on the visit Epstein and manager Terry Francona made to his hometown of Houston before the winter meetings. Epstein confirmed that was the case.

“I can’t remember when he told me,” Crawford said, “but I was a little freaked out.”

Theo can backtrack all he wants, he said “away from the ballpark”. I’m not sure how common this is, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Yanks do the same thing, but at least they don’t have a GM who’s stupid enough to admit it publicly.

• 28 this year says:

That is pretty funny. Maybe now, free agents won’t want to go there knowing the creepiness of that team. I think it is a little extreme for a team to follow a player that deeply. I mean, I understand there are millions of dollars at stake but unless there is significant reason to believe something bad is going on behind the scenes, it is definitey extreme to follow a player around in such capacity.

• Bryan L says:

Yeah I did. I’m not 100% buying it though. Maybe running a few background checks on Free Agents, but private investigating feels like a push…

8. Jorge says:

What am I supposed to do with the boner I just got from the Brackman comment?

9. bexarama says:

Harold Reynolds on MLBN is frightened by the idea of OPS. Well, then.

10. SamVa says:

It seems in the past month I have seen Nova go from 4th starter to 5th starter to competing for 5th starter.. is that just a combination of picking up more pieces and boredom with speculation? or did I miss something?

• Urban says:

I don’t think anything has changed beyond the signing of Garcia, who is pretty much a lock to at least start the season as one of the Yankees starters. The Yankees won’t declare Nova as the likely winner of the 5th starter slot since there are a number of young pitchers in camp competing for the right, but I also think it’s pretty likely Nova will get first chance. The odds of both Garcia and Nova being good enough to stick the entire season are slim, so I suspect the other guys who make a strong impression in Spring Training will make to the big club during 2011. The Andrew Brackman watch begins seriously this year.

11. Steve H says:

Nice little comment in the Klaw chat today:

Bill (Trenton, NJ)
    Keith, you’ve been pretty critical of Curtis Granderson in the past. After the changes to his swing last year, he was very productive, even against lefties. Because of the mechanical adjustments, do you think this is sustainable, or would the success in the 2nd half just be considered a small sample size aberration?

Klaw
    I acknowledged that in my playoff preview stuff – at that point, at least, he looked like a new man at the plate, especially against LHP. So I’m cautiously optimistic.

#cured

12. bonestock94 says:

Wow, 40% off jerseys at modells. Thinking of pulling the trigger on an authentic mariano jersey for $99!!

Code: MOD40ASI223

Are jersey sizes like suit jacket sizes?

• mbonzo says:

Yea saw that yesterday. You can find a size chart on the majestic website. I recommend going for one size over what it recommends. I was a 44, which while fits fine, actually fits like it does on the players, baggier jerseys look much more normal and aren’t as hot.

13. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

I was at the performance optimization ‘presentation’ this morning…

14. ultimate913 says:

This has to be the greatest flop of all time. Happened today in the Heat vs. Bulls game.

Boozer wit’ them Jedi tricks!

15. Urban says:

This probably was posted previously, but nice story about Berra and Guidry, players of different Yankee generations, who are best of friends during Spring Training.