Open Thread: February 28th Camp NotesBy
The latest from Spring Training…
- The Yankees fell to the Tigers by the score of 6-2 this afternoon. CC Sabathia, Pedro Feliciano, Manny Banuelos, and Mark Prior combined for five scoreless innings, but the two Rule 5 guys (Robert Fish & Daniel Turpen) and D.J. Mitchell stunk it up in the last three frames. Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, and Jorge Vazquez each doubled once while Russell Martin drew a pair of walks in his Grapefruit League debut. Here’s the box score. Banuelos was sitting at 93 and touched 95. (Buster Olney)
- A.J. Burnett hit Greg Golson in the head with a pitch during a live batting practice session on Sunday. Golson was taken off the field in a cart and tests were negative, though it turns out the morning sun had more to do with it than A.J.’s suspect control. Golson simply never saw the pitch. Burnett called Golson last night to check on him, but the outfielder isn’t sure when he’ll be back. The Yankees have stopped hitting on the back field because of the glare. (George King, Marc Carig & Erik Boland)
- Derek Jeter asked Kevin Long to take some extra time to work with him tomorrow; he’s still adjusting to the revamping swing. The Cap’n is 1-for-6 with five ground outs in Grapefruit League play, and the one hit was a grounder that found a hole. (Carig)
- Andrew Brackman‘s fine after throwing yesterday, and he expects to be back on the mound tomorrow following his little groin/hip issue. Martin will get one more game at DH and then catch either Thursday or Friday. (Boland & Chad Jennings)
- The regular outfielders and Jorge Posada will make the trip to Bradenton to play the Pirates tomorrow, and Phil Hughes gets the start. David Robertson, Boone Logan, Jesus Montero, and a bunch of other minor league types will be there as well. (Jennings)
Here’s tonight’s open thread. The Nets are the only local team in regular season action, though there’s a replay of today’s Mets-Nats game on both SNY (7pm ET) and MLB Network (9:30) as well. You all know the drill, so go nuts.