Feb

Pettitte to announce retirement tomorrow

(Kevork Djansezian/AP)

Update (2:17 p.m.): After months of playing the waiting game, Andy Pettitte is going to retire tomorrow, according to multiple reports. As first reported by Michael Kay and later confirmed by Jack Curry, the 38-year-old lefty is going to meet with team officials today to tell them that he will not be pitching in 2011. Joel Sherman reports that Pettitte’s heart is “just not into it,” and Curry says the club will hold a press conference tomorrow. The Yankees have since confirmed the news.

Realistically, for the Yankees, even as this news caps off a rough off-season, this development can’t be viewed as a huge surprise. Pettitte has hinted since the team’s season ended in October that he would likely not return for the 2011 campaign, and the Yanks have approached this winter under the assumption that Pettitte would not be a part of their plans. Had he chosen to pitch, he would have thrown only for the Yankees, and the club would have welcomed him back with an offer of at least $12 million. That point, however, is moot now as Andy will ride off into the sunset.

Nick Swisher, talking a few nights ago at the Thurman Munson Awards dinner, summed it up best. “I can’t say enough great things about that guy,” he said. “To play that long and continue to put those numbers up year in and year out. We’d love to have him back. But if he decided to ride off into the sunset, he’s definitely earned that.”

Pettitte, who made his Yankee debut on April 29, 1995, pitched for 16 years in the majors and 13 of those were with the Yanks. Overall, he went 240-138 with a 3.88 ERA. For the Yanks, he won 203 regular season games, 18 playoff games and five World Series rings. With a trademark stare that intimidated opposing batters, Pettitte emerged as one of the top lefties of the past decade and a half and had a reputation as a big-game pitcher. In fact, he won every clinching game for the Yanks during their 2009 World Series run.

At the outset of his Yankee career, Pettitte and the Yanks’ Front Office had a tenuous relationship. Throughout the late 1990s, his name came up in numerous trade conversations, but Brian Cashman and Joe Torre always argued to keep him. After the 2003 season, the Yanks saw Pettitte slip away and land in Houston. He suffered through an injury-plagued 2004 before rebounding to form in 2005 and 2006. He returned to New York in 2007 as the city celebrated his homecoming, and it was clear that he would never pitch anywhere else again.

I grew up with Andy Pettitte. I was 12 and he was 23 when he came up to pitch in the Majors. I saw him morph from a prospect to a team leader and a stalwart in the rotation. I’ll certainly miss his stare, his familiar leg kick, his pick-off move and the fact that he would pitch every five days and give it his all. We’re all growing up and getting older, and it just won’t be the same in the Bronx without him.

And so the Yankees will move ahead with a rag-tag bunch of rotation candidates. Kevin Millwood remains available, and the club will hope that Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon or Sergio Mitre or Ivan Nova can hold down the fort until a trade market develops.

As the Yanks stumble to Spring Training, though, this has been a tough, tough off-season indeed. I can’t begrudge Andy this decision at all, and I mourn it not for the Yanks but because we won’t watch Pettitte pitch again. Godspeed, Andy Pettitte. You’ve deserved it.

This adorable picture of Andy and his five-year-old son Luke was taken during a workout before this year’s Homerun Derby. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. First Time Poster says:

It was a pleasure, mr. Pettitte.

2. Mike Pop says:

Think we all could see it coming. Bummer dude.

• radnom says:

It doesn’t surprise me, but If I had to guess yesterday, I would have guessed he was coming back. Disappointed in the short term but really congratulations to him. He picked a good time to go out.

3. Ken M says:

Thank you Andy. Enjoy your retirement.

4. Tom Zig says:

It’s been a long time coming. Happy trails, Andy!

5. vin says:

I’m legitimately shocked… even with all the reports that he was leaning towards retirement. Figured he would come around eventually. It’s also got to be tough to turn down 12+ million dollars as well.

It was fun while it lasted, Eugene.

6. Billion$Bullpen says:

So what is the date does Andy do his un-retirement announcement?

7. Rams Bladder Cup says:

Thanks Andy. I’ll miss the stare from behind your pulled down brim and elevated glove. You put in your time and deserve to go out on your own terms.

8. mike says:

we will be seeing you shortly….both at a tearful Yankee press conference, and again in June when his Mr. Nice Guy personna is torn apart during both direct and cross examination when he has to explain how he pimped out his sick Dad to make HGH runs for him, and how he threw his best-bud under the bus

• Pat D says:

Yea, that’ll be fun to watch.

And by “fun” I of course mean “like having teeth pulled with no novocaine.”

• bexarama says:

Classy to bring up in this thread, really.

• Billion$Bullpen says:

It is a real part of a career. Andy did not come forward and tell the whole truth when he first had the chance AFTER he was caught. He still may not have, we do not know. I think it is fair for anybody to say at any time in regards to Andy. And BTW this is a thread on a message board on the internet, this is not Andy’s official bio.

9. Pat D says:

Cue up Bob Hope singing “Thanks For the Memories.”

But, damn, the recent reports over the last few weeks had given me some more hope.

10. PaulF says:

Damnit Andy. Really disappointed; it won’t be the same without him.

11. Yankeefan91 Arod Fan says:

:”(

12. Danny says:

Oh my god! He’s going to hangin up!

13. CountryClub says:

Andy was the man.

14. The Big City of Dreams says:

Thanks Andy

15. Hughesus Christo says:

I’m just happy we won’t have to deal with this story anymore.

16. Mike Axisa says:

Thanks for everything, Andy.

• Ted Nelson says:

Not trying to be critical here, because I tend to agree to an extent. I find this interesting, though. If you feel that 2 WAR for “$16 mill” is not worth it, is 1.5 WAR worth $15 mill?

Nova was on a 1.8 WAR pace through 42 innings last season and Garcia averaged 1.45 WAR the past two seasons. Pettitte has averaged 2.95 WAR the past two seasons. Even if you were to say Pettitte will reach 3.5 WAR and his replacement 1 WAR… that’s still $15 mill for the 2.5 WAR Soriano/Feliciano have averaged the past two seasons… If Soriano/Feliciano are replacing Sanchez and, say, a Royce Ring it would be easy enough to give them the whole 2.5 WAR since Sanchez and Ring might be replacement level (might be better or worse too).

So… A. WAR is a valid stat. B. The Yankees wasted resources on Soriano and Feliciano. C. It would have been good for the Yankees to bring back Pettitte at $15 mill.
      There’s the uncertainty of Pettitte’s replacements and depth arguments, but overall it’s tough logically to hold A, B, and C to be true.

• king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

To quote AP, “My kids are in Texas, your argument is invalid.”

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m not saying that $15 mill would have brought back Pettitte. I’m saying that it’s tough logically to argue that WAR is valid, Soriano and Feliciano combined are bad value, AND it was in the Yankees’ best interest for Pettitte to come back.

17. Pat D says:

I guess what upsets me most about this is that he should have been a Yankee his whole career if it wasn’t for the front office having its collective head up its ass following 2003.

Oh, well.

Let the debate about his HOF credentials begin. To me, he falls a bit short, but he still had a terrific career.

• Thomas says:

To be fair, I believe the Yankees offered Pettitte the most money. However, he was always on the backburner for the team that offseason and in the end when they offered the contract, it was too late.

• Pat D says:

That was it. They waited too long.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think that’s mostly speculation, a convenient narrative to explain what happened. Like the “Cashman should have met with Lee more” speculation. Pettitte and Clemens were (needle) buds who took their show home together… It’s just as likely that the Yankees could do nothing to stop it as that they waited too long.

• Ed says:

When Pettitte left, the Yankees about 2/$21, coming off a season where he made $11.5m. Their initial offer was a paycut.

The Red Sox offered 4/$48, and the Angels were believed to have offered similar. Pettitte had no interest in joining the Red Sox after being a Yankee for so long. I don’t remember him ever saying why he turned town the Angels.

Houston offered 3/$31.5. They openly stated that they did not believe it was market value for him, but hoped that he would consider taking less to play close to home.

The Yankees final offer was around 3/$33. This offer wasn’t made until after Pettitte accepted the Houston offer. The offer was heavily backloaded and the 3rd year was voidable if he suffered an arm injury during the first two years. So even though it was potentially worth a little more than the Houston offer, the guaranteed money was much lower. It was still far from the best offer he received.

18. JGS says:

Third on the Yankee win list, second in strikeouts and games started, sixth in bWAR, and four rings. That should be plenty for an Andy Pettitte Day in the near future.

This page is not for speculating about the season now.

Thanks for all the memories, Andy

19. Accent Shallow says:

I would have bet money he was coming back.

What a pitcher.

20. Beantown Bombers Fan says:

Thanks, Andy. Best wishes in your retirement.

21. CBean says:

/cries

Thank you for everything, Andy. I’ll miss seeing you pitch.

(I feel like someone should check on Bexy)

22. Joel says:

Baseball will miss Andy. Of all the guys getting caught up in the PED mess, he’s the only one that’s really come clean about his part in it.

• Kiko Jones says:

Huh? As opposed to who? A-Rod? And did Pettite come clean of his own volition, with no prompting or like everyone else: once that accusations became irrefutable?

Maybe your post should read “Of all the guys getting caught up in the PED mess, he’s [my fave and I'm willing to overlook anything bad he may have done].” Or words to that effect.

23. jackstrawelf says:

Best postseason pitcher I ever saw, will never forget 1996, great guy, great yankee, well deserved hope to see him in the hall and beyond the centerfield wall someday

24. Matt DiBari says:

Well, we’re screwed

• Ted Nelson says:

Not necessarily. Sure, I wanted Pettitte to come back. The outlook for the team would have improved. I am becoming more and more convinced that people have overreacted to the rotation, though.

On paper the 2011 rotation looks better than the actual performance of the 2010 rotation. CC had a slightly off-year in 2010, 1.5 WAR off his 2006-9 average. Burnett had the worst healthy season of his career: I know he’s always been labelled inconsistent, but it was never to this extent. Hughes… I don’t know. Certainly could be as good as last season. Garcia was as good as Burnett in 2010. Nova was on pace for a 1.8 WAR season in 150 innings.

• nsalem says:

Agree with everything except I believe Garcia was much better than Burnett last year. I think they will both do well this year and I am looking forward to start of the season. I think people are overreacting.

25. DJH says:

Since 07 I have been predicting 2010 would be his last season, because I always believed him about wanting to be around his kids before they got too old. So when you consider the age of his oldest child it makes sense. I really wish he was coming back though.

26. DJH says:

There were reports that Andy would be more likely to come back if the Yanks signed Lee, I wonder if he would have? I say no he was retiring all along but it’s intresting to think about.

27. FachoinaNYY says:

Not what I was expecting, not what I was expecting at all.

28. Rey22 says:

Sigh, dammit.

Amazing career though. Couldn’t have asked for more.

Thanks Andy Pettitte.

29. Poopy Pants says:

It’s already on his wiki page. Jeez.

30. jsbrendog (returns) says:

while i am disappointed (but not surprised) it is kind of rfreshing to see someone go out on their terms when they still have the ability to pitch instead of staying around too long and tarnishing their legacy. my only problem is i feel it is really rare and it has happened to the yanks twice in the past 5 yrs. moose and andy. wtf

• FachoinaNYY says:

how do you know he would have tarnished his legacy?

If anything another year or two would have cemented his legacy (assuming decent performance) as it would have padded his stats.

• jsbrendog (returns) says:

uhm, i didnt say he would. the comment is a generality comparing someone going out while they still have skill to someone who cant let go and hangs on with vastly dimished skills and embarrasses themselves.

• Andrew says:

It makes sense, both guys saw the writing on the wall in a sense (Mussina’s 2007, Pettitte’s physical issues in ’08-’10) and picked what they thought was the time to go. It’s a bummer for us as fans because always ask “what if?…” but looking at it from their perspectives, it makes a lot of sense.

• Poopy Pants says:

To be real about it, his legacy was tarnished a few years ago.

• jsbrendog (returns) says:

nope. everyone did steroids. people need to move on.

• RL says:

Nipicking, but Andy admitted to HGH, not steroids.

• jsbrendog (returns) says:

6 and one half a dozen yada yada

• Ed says:

Except for the whole thing that HGH ended up only having negative effects if you didn’t legitimately need it.
              Some people thought it would be the next PED, some thought it would be a treatment more like the currently trendy platelet rich plasma (which seems to be what Pettitte thought). They were all wrong, and it just ended up being a stupid thing to take.

31. Jimmy McNulty says:

You asshole Andy, have you seen the starting rotation this year?!?!?!

In all seriousness, great career, great player…thanks for the memories.

32. squishy jello person says:

Hell of a career Andy.

See you in Cooperstown?

33. bexarama says:

I AM COMPLETELY MISERABLE, SAN DIEGO.

I’m sure I’ll write something up later, but for now, thank you, Andy. You’re a huge part of the reason I love baseball and whenever Andy Pettitte Day is in the future, I’ll be there.

34. James A says:

Thanks for everything Andy
    Well, until July, we now have two poems
    (If we get good AJ)
    CC, Hughes, and Burnett
    I think this team might be set
    (If we see bad AJ)
    CC and Hughes
    And prepare for the boos

35. Yank the Frank says:

He gave it his all, he was a great competitor but for his sake it’s time.

36. jack says:

“With a trademark stare that intimidated opposing batters”

Oh god, way to ruin the article. Trademark yes. He looked like a retarded goat. But actually intimidating hitters? That belongs on the onion.

37. Adam says:

A great Yankee whose career we will only truly appreciate now that he is gone. I still vaguely remember his first appearance for the club which (unless I am imagining this) was a relief appearance against Boston (I have a distinct memory of listening to this on the radio, but perhaps it is a false memory). No matter what he was someone who always left it out on the mound, win or lose. Time to make a little more room in Monument Park and hopefully in Cooperstown as well.

• RL says:

Per MLB Trade Rumors:

a career that began with a relief appearance against the Royals in April of 1995

Almost right. :-)

• Adam says:

haha damn…thanks. I am going to try to look it up, but I believe that I remember him making a relief appearance in a game against the Sox around that time where he held them down over a handful of innings after whoever the starter was got hit around. I also believe that it was fairly soon after that he joined the rotation after that appearance.

• Bulasteve says:

I was at that game, didn’t know it was his first.

38. PaulF says:

This is the worst I’ve felt since the Yankees were eliminated from the ALCS. But still, spring training starts in two weeks and we are less than 2 months from CC-Verlander on opening day. I can’t wait. Let’s go Freddy Garcia!

39. jaremy says:

Oh nooooooooooooooo! Andy, you were always my favorite. We’ll miss ya.

40. The Captain says:

Can’t say it any better than Swish did. The guy has certainly earned the right to go out when/how he wants.

I’m gonna miss the stare and the late-inning fist pumps.

41. Fair Weather Freddy says:

Guess this opens the door a little wider for guys like Phelps, Noesi, Warren and Brackman to impress at ST. Wouldn’t count on Banuelos or Betances this year. Both will be on innings limits. Better chance we’ll see them next year

42. Chris says:

Please pull a Clemens and come back!!!!!!!!!

43. steve s says:

I’m always surpirsed at the lukewarm outlook from the RAB posters as to Andy’s HOF chances (and, conversely, the positve outlook on Posada’s chances). Unless more comes out about PED use, Andy’s 100+ wins over losses and his post-season performance will make him a HOFer. See you at the induction ceremony!

• Billion$Bullpen says:

I am a Yankees fan. I rooted for Andy. Andy is not a HOF pitcher to me even without the PED’s. But then again neither is Bert B or several others in the HOF.

44. RL says:

And then there were 3. Andy, you will be missed. Thnaks for all the joy you brought to us fans.

45. Reggie C. says:

This isn’t the thread to go nuts over the fate of the Yankees 2011 season. I’ll save that for later.

Just glad “the decision” has been made. No surprise here really. Pettitte just didn’t want to come back to this mess of a rotation.

• Adam says:

Or just didn’t want to play anymore, no matter who was in the rotation.

• bexarama says:

Not the thread to go nuts about the 2011 offseason, but apparently the thread to take a swipe at the rotation

• Jimmy says:

This isn’t really the time and place to speak about self-contradictory posts inside of 5 sentences. That would be a separate topic.

You make a fine point about Andy’s motivation. It’s really no surprise. You just shouldn’t finish a post saying something that you began your post saying you shouldn’t.

• Ted Nelson says:

Why would a weak rotation push him towards NOT coming back. At least even money it would get him more $ and appeal to his sense of team. Having 5 strong starters would be more of a reason not to come back, IMO.

Also, this rotation might not be better than the 2010 rotation even without Andy.

• Ed says:

I don’t think the money drives Pettitte. He begins each offseason by removing all negotiating leverage he has by refusing to accept offers from anyone other than the Yankees.

When he left Houston, he said one of the main reasons was because he didn’t like missing the playoffs in his final season there.

I think Pettitte only wants to play if he feels confident he’ll be playing in October. He probably looks at this season as a repeat of 2008 and doesn’t want to be a part of that.

• He probably looks at this season as a repeat of 2008 and doesn’t want to be a part of that.

What? The Yanks won 95 games last year and don’t have Javier Vazquez this year. With Pettitte, the 2011 club is just as good as the 2011 club with an even better bullpen. Tough to see how that’s a repeat of 2008 all over again.

• Ed says:

As crappy as Vazquez was, I expect less out of the options the team has right now for the #5 spot. I don’t think the current options have it in them to give a good stretch like Vazquez had mid-season. I also think the #6+ starter options are worse than they were last year.

I don’t expect much out of Russell Martin.

While the bullpen should be better over the whole season, I don’t think it’ll really be better than it was post trade deadline last year when all the key pieces were pitching well. I don’t see it as a huge improvement.

Boston has improved a lot, so I think the division will be harder to win.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think they’ll have a harder time making the playoffs than they have the past few years.

• Ted Nelson says:

“As crappy as Vazquez was, I expect less out of the options the team has right now for the #5 spot.”

Javy was good for… wait for it… -0.2 WAR last season. Garcia was good for 1.3 (1.6 in 2009) and Nova, in 42 innings, for 0.5.

“I don’t think the current options have it in them to give a good stretch like Vazquez had mid-season.”

Because Garcia and Nova made no decent starts last season, right? Seriously, though, your use of “mid-season” is ironic because that’s when the Yankees could be acquiring a quality starter via trade.

“I also think the #6+ starter options are worse than they were last year.”

Moseley -0.4 WAR, Gaudin -0.7 WAR, Mitre… well Mitre is still Mitre. Between Mitre, Noesi, Phelps, Brackman, etc. I could see at least matching the -0.6 combined WAR of Nova, Mitre, Moseley, and Gaudin. And they could easily pick up a Gaudin or Moseley type once final rosters are set anyway.

“Boston has improved a lot, so I think the division will be harder to win.”

They’ve potentially improved due to health. They lost 11.1 2010 WAR in Beltre and VMart and gained 12.2 in Crawford and AGon. Crawford also had a career year in 2010 he may not repeat. So, their biggest boost comes from Youk, Pedroia, and Ellsbury.
              Tampa got worse, which could make 2011 about the same as 2010 with Tampa and the Sox basically changing spots.

CC, Burnett, Jeter, Tex, A-Rod all had career worst seasons or close. So the Yankees might counter the Sox health bounce-back with a bounce-back of their own.

Yankees lost Pettitte (2.3 WAR), Thames (0.6), Wood (0.4), Kearns (0.3)… and mostly other replacement or worse guys. Lost 3 WAR or less from a 95 win team (net, with Javy, Gaudin, and Moseley counteracting the positive). They gained Soriano + Feliciano (2.4), Martin (2.1), Jones (1.6), Garcia (1.3… also 1.6 in 2009), and a full season of Nova (0.5 in 42 innings = 1.8 in 150 innings). So about 3 out and 8.7 in…

It’s just not clear that the Sox had a better offseason than the Yanks.

46. Dr. O says:

Things Andy will learn rather fast in April.

1. Mrs. Pettitte’s days don’t involve nearly the amount of work she has always said they do.

2. Kids like spending the majority of their time with their friends.

3. “MLB Pitcher Andy Pettitte” is a lot more fun than “former baseball star Andy Pettitte”

4. “What the ____ am I supposed to do all day?”

• Russell NY says:

Andy: Hey Jete, want to hang out?

DJ: Can’t Dude, flying to Boston. Meaningless game but we have to get ready for the playoffs. Can you believe Adrian Gonzalez was caught using PED’s supplied by Red Sox owners?

Andy: Werd

• Big Apple says:

ha!

a part a) to #1

1.a) Mrs pettite is not putting out like she said she would!

47. jim p says:

Just to note, if a team had Pettitte’s winning pct. over a season, they’d have won 103 games. Yeah, he was with the Yankees, but yeah most of that was pitching in the AL East.

48. Kiersten says:

Well at least now I have plans for my day off. I’m gonna spend the whole day crying. Thanks Andy.

:’(

49. YanksFan in MA says:

I’m legitimately bummed out. Some more sad days with Jorgey, Mariano, and Jeter…

50. Ori says:

Seriously screw all these reporters claiming the Yanks are screwed now that Andy is gone. Media hating on the Yanks is the oldest game there is.

51. theyankeewarrior says:

Really wished he would have given it one more year… thanks for everything Andy. Here we go Millwood.

52. Josh S. says:

Thanks for the memories, Andy. You’re a hall of famer in my book even if you don’t make it to Cooperstown.

53. Rich D says:

Andy Pettite’s legacy to me will be that of a liar. Either he repeatedly lied when he said he didn’t use PEDs or he lied when he said he and Clemens did. Either way, he is a liar. If he was not a Yankee, he would be getting crushed by Yankee fans.

54. Russell NY says:

So sad right now. Really going to miss seeing him in pinstripes. One of my favorite ballplayers of all time.

55. Big Apple says:

well, crap……

Andy…enjoy retirement…you had a great, sucessful career.

56. MikeD says:

Not a shock, but still a surprise. I figured he would return for one last run, especially once he started working out. While I wanted him to come back because we really do need him in 2011 (when was the last time we didn’t need him?), I mostly wanted him to come back because he’s a good person, and I enjoyed watching him pitch all these years. He’s going to be real tough to replace. Rock-solid lefties don’t grow on trees.

I’m still not convinced Andy is truly retired. I’m not doubting he believes he’s retired, but he wouldn’t be the first athlete to change his mind after a year off, so I’m guessing the Yankees won’t plan an “Andy Pettitte Day” until 2012…just to be sure!

57. UncleArgyle says:

At least he didn’t drag this out for 6 months…errrr….anyway if this is really it, thanks for the memories Andy.

58. ND Mike says:

Andrew Eugene Pettitte will always be my homeboy.

59. rek4gehrig says:

Eugene, I’ll miss u esp. that (sexy) stare. Thanks for the memories

60. CS Yankee says:

Thanks old number forty-six!

kind of fitting though for the core four;
    Pettitte retires after the 2010 season (HoF maybe around 2020)
    Posada retires after the 2011 season (HoF maybe around 2018)
    Riveria retires after the 2012 season (HoF for sure in 2017)
    Jeter retires after the 2013 season (HoF for sure in 2018)

61. Johnny says:

Can you say third place finish?

• Adam says:

Can you say 162 games still to be played? Though on the bright side if the naysayers are in such doubt, you may as well just not watch, comment or complain this year.

• CS Yankee says:

Could be third place even with Pettitte…

I’m guessing 2nd place with a LCS loss in 5 games, but with another decent SP it could spell doom for those Phillies.

• JGS says:

Anton Inbedkov: Shall we say pistols at dawn?
      Boris Grushenko: Well, we can say it. I don’t know what it means, but we can say it.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Heh. That is my favorite Woody Allen movie. So many great quotes.

Sonja: Oh don’t, Boris, please. Sex without love is an empty experience.
        Boris: Yes, but as empty experiences go, it’s one of the best.

62. Mike HC says:

It has been a good run. I will miss watching him pitch.

I feel like we are only left with Jeter and Mo from the dynasty years. Posada is still around, but his role has been reduced to DH, and maybe even part time DH with Jones around. Sad to see my childhood Yanks slowly but surely riding into the sunset.

63. Mike Myers says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO….that is all.

Thanks for everything Andy.

64. J_Yankees says:

Thank you Andy. We’ll miss seeing you pitch.

65. Chris says:

Get your old timers day tickets now!!! I can’t wait to welcome him back. I wonder if he will throw out the first pitch this year?

• MikeD says:

I don’t think he’ll be quite ready for Old Timers’ Day 2011. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees hold off on any official Andy Pettitte ceremonies until 2012, just in case during his year off he gets the itch to return in 2012.

66. Kiko Jones says:

Despite the very strong possibility of this going down, like the vast majority of Yankee fans, I’d hoped Pettite would at least pitch this year before retiring. The news of his retirement, after the back-and-forth of his will he/won’t he, coupled with not the most reassuring of Yankee prospects for the 2011, have me in a bit of a foul mood. So, while I’m not in the mood to say goodbye, I’m gonna leave it at that for now, instead of mouthing off like an ungrateful bastard and not recognizing all the great things he’s done for the pinstripes. “All that swimming just to drown by the shore.” That’s how I’m feeling right now.

67. Frank says:

Kevin Millwood- come on down

68. Andrew S says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We oughta get used to this… there’s only going to be more news like this in the coming years, and frankly with Mo and Jeter its going to be a lot harder :-(

69. It'sATarp says:

Our rotation is now looking even more piss poor…

well best of luck with retirement Andy!

70. Mike says:

We shouldn’t be blaming Pettitte for this. We should be blaming a farm system that hasn’t been able to contribute much to our starting rotation (Hughes may make the jump this year hopefully). And, please don’t tell me Joba will be our 5th starter. I think even management has lost confidence in him.

• I don’t think you’re right about any of this. The Yanks’ farm system has produced some useful pitchers, and they’ll probably have two org arms in the rotation. Hughes is a big part of the Yanks’ future plans, and Nova will give innings even if expectations aren’t high. Meanwhile, it’s not an issue of management’s confidence in Joba. As we’ve written repeatedly over the last few weeks, the team let loose that he was more injured than they originally let on. That’s just the reality of it.

Why point fingers right now anyway? It accomplishes nothing.

• Mike says:

It pains me to see what other teams with fewer or similar resources as us can accomplish. We have to bank on the C.C.’s, Lee’s, and the Burnett’s of the world to anchor our rotations. Why hasn’t our farm been able to a produce a pitcher that even comes close duplicating Pettitte’s reliability? Why hasn’t our farm developed a Lee, Lester, or Felix type pitcher. Maybe I’m just pissed off that I might actually have to watch Garcia or Colon pitch every 5th day.

• How many teams have developed a Lee, Lester or Felix-type pitcher? 5? 10? The Yanks have developed Hughes, and they have others in the pipeline. It’s not as though top-flight starting pitching is easy to develop or find.

Yes, we would have hoped that the Yanks could have developed someone in between Pettitte and Hughes to fill that gap, but Wang got hurt and the Yanks’ system was in tatters for years. But still, that kind of pitching doesn’t come around often. Perhaps — and I mean this respectfully — your expectations are not in line with baseball reality.

• Mike says:

Yea, except how many teams have our resources and ability to spend on the farm system. I don’t need a Lee or Lester. I’d settle for pitcher that could give me more than a few years of reliable service. I just find it unacceptable that we have gone this long only to rely on a past legend to save our rotation. Personally, I believe fan expectations are way too low.

• RL says:

Wang was that pitcher, until a freak injury ended it for him. He had a baserunning injury that affected his pitching motion causing the injury. No one could anticpate that and it had nothing to do with how he was groomed or handled. Just a flukey thing that no one had any control over. While another one or 2 pitchers with what we saw of Wang would have been great, they just weren’t in the farm system due to previous trades.

• Ted Nelson says:

Not a good record of starter development, but not as non-existent as some make it out to be. And not many teams hold onto their homegrown pitchers their whole career anyway.

Besides Pettitte, Wang, and Hughes… Al Leiter (Barfield trade) was a pretty good pitcher. Sterling Hitchcock (Tino trade) was solid. Ramiro Mendoza was a swingman, but he had a few quality years. Kamieniecki was a solid back-end guy.

“While another one or 2 pitchers with what we saw of Wang would have been great, they just weren’t in the farm system due to previous trades.”

Eric Milton is one example of this (Knoablach trade). They drafted Zach Day (Justice trade). They didn’t draft them, but had Westbrook (Justice trade) and Lilly (Weaver trade) in the minors. We’ll see what happens with Ian Kennedy (Granderson trade). Claussen flopped, but got them Aaron Boone.

Brien Taylor is 39, so he might have just finished up his career recently were he never injured.

Drafted Prior and Cole, but couldn’t sign them.

El Duque and Jose Contreras didn’t come from another ML team.

• Mike HC says:

I don’t think it is unreasonable to not have a ready made replacement when a guy like Pettitte retires. He was going year to year and we weren’t even sure if he was retiring this year or not until a couple of hours ago. It is not much of a shock that we might have a hole in our rotation for a year, maybe half year. The Yanks have big time pitching prospects a year or two away. And Hughes, and maybe Nova are already slotted for this years rotation. So our system is filling rotation spots and has a group of guys that are close.

71. Betty Lizard says:

I’m sad, but also grateful that we’ve had Andy Pettitte on our team and in our lives for so long. He embodies what I love best about baseball: grace, elegance, passion, and the thrill of watching people who are really good at what they do give their all to do it better.

• I Am Not The Droids You're Looking For (is off to masterstroke myself) says:

Thank you for saying so eloquently what I was gearing up to write. So…

+100000

Thank you Andy. Good bye, and god speed.

72. thurdonpaul says:

Thank You Andy !
    I will miss watching You pitch.

73. Brian says:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but, but I’m actually going to be hoping Andy pulls a Favre for some time to come… (and by a “Favre” I mean the whole changing his mind about retirement thing, not the whole dick pic/being a creep thing… just to be clear)

74. LEOLUCCA RANDISI says:

I wish Andy the best but why did he have to wait so long to tell us. If Andy would have told us in either November or December then may be the yankees could have done somthing better with our starting rotation.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

I don’t think that’s true.

Cashman has said all along that he is proceeding as if Andy wasn’t coming back.

75. mustang says:

Being a Yankee fan during the times where making the playoffs was more of a dream then reality and having to deal with the Sam Militello of the world makes me appreciate Andrew Eugene Pettitte. I admire how he came back from 2008 and finished his career but from Andy I expected nothing less.

76. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

so to sum:
    He was awesome
    He is HoF material
    He isn’t HoF material
    Cash didn’t offer him enough
    Cash offered enough, but it was too late

did i miss anything? cause I know I miss AP…

77. LEOLUCCA RANDISI says:

That’s what Cashman said you are right. I don’t believe him, if I had to grade chasman I would give him a big fat F. While the Yankees were pining away for lee they should have had a contingency plan like may be sign some one like Bronson Arroyo but Alas now it is to late. I no I preached going young but I am still really upset how this off season has gone. IT IS THE OFF SEASON FROM HELL. My prediction the Yankees start the season like this 1.CC 2. HUGHES 3.AJ 4. GARCIA 5.NOVA. I think AJ has a bounce back year and our front three will be pretty solid but I can see Garcia and Nova being busts and the Yankees will call up the kids and or make a trade. And by kids I mean BRACHMEN, BETANCES and BANUELOS!