Mar

Joe Torre to attend Old Timer’s Day

Via Bryan Hoch, former manager Joe Torre has accepted an invitation to attend the 2011 edition of Old Timer’s Day. He was at GMS Field for the first time since leaving the Yankees today, presumably taking care of some stuff given his new position as MLB’s VP of Baseball Operations. Torre returned to Yankee Stadium for the first time late last year, when the team unveiled the George Steinbrenner monument in Monument Park. After a somewhat ugly divorce, it appears the two sides are mending fences, and I’m glad to see it.

Categories : Asides

1. S says:

Now maybe we can discuss having Torre’s #6 retired now, he definitely deserves that honor for all he’s done

2. Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw says:

hated the way he left (the book and all) but it’ll be nice to see him back. the yankees and Torre had a great symbiotic relationship in the late 90s-early 00s.

3. Dr. O says:

I assumed there would be some backhanded complimentary quote from Randy Levine attached to the story, like “We are excited that Joe Torre has chosen to honor the Yankees & The Steinbrenner family and show gratitude for transforming him from a nobody into a Hall of Fame manager.”

4. T-Dubs says:

He will enter the Old TImer’s Game and pitch 7 innings out of the bullpen.

5. DoctorTee says:

Saint Joe will sleep through the old timer’s game just like ol’ times.

6. Cross777 says:

BOOOO!

7. Mike R. says:

Invite Bobby Cox and it’s a party!

8. Accent Shallow says:

I’m glad to have Torre back in the fold, but I’d rather that it had taken a few years; that book left a very sour taste in my mouth.

9. nathan says:

I guess he is coming in to get some quotes for “The treatment” a sequel to “Yankee Years”

10. Yank the Frank says:

I never saw what the big deal was about the book. I didn’t think anything was in it that was untrue. I actually enjoyed reading it.
    I’m glad the fences are being mended. He definitly should have his number retired.

• Guest says:

I’m a big “let by-gones be by-gones” guy, so anytime people resolve past conflicts, I think it’s a plus.

That said, the book was a pretty egregious breach of player trust, which was all the more shocking because Joe is known as a player’s manager.

Telling tales about current players (and their perceptions of their current teammates) is something Ozzie Guillen would do. Joe Torre is clearly not Ozzie Guillen. But his actions were Guillen-esque. I, and I think many others, expected better.

I’m sure Joe didn’t intend for some of the things he said to be spun how they were spun, but he still made a mistake in sharing stories from the clubhouse so soon after he left the team. Not cool.

• Yank the Frank says:

What was the worse? That ARod is a prima donna? Gee, who would have guessed. Most of it was interesting by pklay of what happened day to day during the seasons.

I agree that the timing wasn’t great but I think that had a lot to do with the way the dismissal happened.