Mar

Open Thread: March 6th Camp Notes

Awesome. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

News of the day…

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Knicks are the only local team playing a meaningful game, but SNY is showing a replay to today’s Mets-Red Sox game while MLB Network will carry a replay of the Angels-Diamondbacks game. You all know what to do, so fire away.

1. Craig says:

gas prices suck. $3.89 is the cheapest in my area, save me Jebus

2. Golson's Rocket Arm says:

Is there any chance there will be video of the Greg Golson home run? I know the game wasn’t on tv, so I doubt it

3. Bryan L says:

So… John Kruk, Adrian Gonzalez, what’s up with that?

4. Complete this sentence for me.

When Andrew Brackman makes his MLB debut, he will tie an all-time record for….?

5. Isaac says:

Eduardo Perez’s bold prediction: Yuniesky Bentancourt will help the Brewers on defense. He went on to talk about what great range he has.

6. LarryM.,Fl. says:

I love that picture of Yogi and Robbie. It shows what it means to be a Yankee. Yogi maybe an old timer but the love of his presence around the team is priceless.

7. Jerome S. says:

I know it’s spring, but all signs are pointing towards A-Rod having a monster 2011.

• squishy jello person says:

Phrases I am keeping in mind for 2011:

“contract year Pujols”
      “odd year A-Rod”

• Norman says:

Fantastic. Narratives are fun, but ultimately worthless. Albert Pujols will have a great year because he is Albert Pujols, not because of his contract status.

• NJYankeeFan says:

I sure hope A-Rod is more than the 4 WAR player he’s been for the last 2 years considering he still has 7 years and $174 million left on his contract.

8. Pastadivingarod says:

I really don’t want to see colon make this team. I know the sox and Os and Jays would hammer him. Rather see Nova advancing then Colon dying.

• Sabermetrically Challenged says:

I would actually love to see colon help out a team in need like the pirates or Indians. That would make for a great story

9. My Pet Goat says:

I’m probably late to the comment party on this one, but what happened to the 3rd weekend writer Brock? Is he on vacation? Was he using an alias to argue with commenters? Did he not make the grade content-wise?

10. JobaWockeeZ says:

Anyone know how to buy classic Yankee games online? Like for example game 7 of the 2003 ALCS?

11. Teej says:

Hey Mike, do you have a larger version of that photo? I searched for a bit and came up empty.

12. pat says:

Tough break for Dom Brown. Hamate bones are a bitch. He might not come back 100% until this time next year. It really fucked with Tababta while he was still with us.

13. bonestock94 says:

The mets lineup isn’t so terrible if certain players revert to their career line. Huge if, but still, not as bad as it seemed in my mind.

• mbonzo says:

Their offense could be something really special, and if all cylinders are clicking they’ll have a top 5 offense. Problem is that they’re starting pitching is a million times worse than the Yankees, they’re farm system is pretty weak, and they have so much financial concern that they’ll never be able to keep their offense and fix their pitching problems.

14. T.J. says:

Could a package of Joba, Adams and Marshall net Carpenter?

• mbonzo says:

Thats way too much. Remember that the Cardinals would be trading Carpenter for salary relief and now they need him to compete. He’s never had much success in the AL East and he’s 36 with 1 year plus an option left on his contract. The cornerstone of a Carpenter deal would be money.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

It depends on how the Cards view their outlook. If they think Miller and Matias (Martinez) can help them soon then he becomes expendable. Especially if they’re out of the race.

But if they’re not too far behind like 6 or 7 games out then I’d definitely be willing to give up Joba, Adams and Marshall. I’d start off slow but if it comes to it I’d do it.

• mbonzo says:

No way I give up Marshall and Joba for half a year of Carpenter. Don’t forget the Yankees would be dealing out a lot of money for him too. In the AL East he posted a 4.88 ERA. I’m not saying he hasn’t become a better pitchers, but comparing the hitting in the two divisions (especially when you take the Cardinals’ Pujols, Rasmus, Holliday, etc. out of the mix) is a joke. If they wanted mid rotation guys like Warren or Phelps I would do it, and I think Adams is expendable too. $7.5m, Joba, Marshall, Adams for 3 or 4 months of Carpenter will not happen.

• Mike Axisa says:

It’s been a long time and a lot of arm injuries since Carpenter was with the Blue Jays. I don’t think what he did with them from 1997-2002 is very indicative of what he can do now.

Not saying I’d give up Joba and Marshall for him, but I don’t think a ~4.80 ERA is his true talent level in the AL East.

• T.J. says:

That’s nothing.

I’m on another forum arguing with someone who thinks flipping Banuelos for Carpenter is good baseball.

• mbonzo says:

When the Sox signed Crawford and the Yankees were still in on Cliff Lee, someone said the Yankees would need to sign Cliff Lee and trade Montero for Derek Lowe to compete with the Red Sox.

• mbonzo says:

Yea I totally agree. He’s become a much better pitcher.

A lot are assuming the he’s gonna be a dominant pitcher like he was in 2009 and 2010 for the Cardinals. The AL East will be a harder division for him, something he struggled with when younger. I wouldn’t expect him to pitch any better than a 3.50 ERA for the Yankees, and thats not worth it for me.

If the Yankees were actually bidding on a guy with Carpenter’s peripherals, in a tougher division, at a younger age, I would give up the players above in a heart beat. Carpenter is much more like the Vazquez of 2009, and he may land one young good prospect plus salary relief.