Mar

Yanks send down Brackman, five others

Via Chad Jennings, the Yankees have optioned Andrew Brackman, Brandon Laird, Melky Mesa, Kevin Russo, Steve Garrison, and Ryan Pope to various levels of the minor leagues. All six guys are on the 40-man roster, and the actual level they were assigned to isn’t important. They’re just paper moves for the time being. By my count, there’s still 40 players in camp, but that doesn’t count the injured Frankie Cervelli, Reegie Corona, and Colin Curtis.

1. 28 this year says:

Brackman down before ManBan and Betances? Interesting. Just an observation.

2. Nemesis says:

Melky Mesa on the Austin Jackson fast track? I know it’s not official but would be interesting…

• A.D. says:

Which is what, having him potentially do AA and AAA in the same year?

While Mesa has improved every year still not that excited for a 23/24 year old with one 800+ OPS season

• Accent Shallow says:

He is, in the parlance, a tools goof. I’m not going to get too hung up on his stats, although he’s at the age where we need to see results.

So maybe I am, then.

• Cuso says:

yikes. Melky Mesa is not going make an impact of the Yanks roster ever. if they can hype him and trade him for an arm, terrific.

i don’t care how ‘toolsy’ he is; he’s no ballplayer. maybe a late bloomer in a couple years. But he need a complete overhaul of his stance, and learn how to actually run the bases. he’s made the first/third out of an inning at 3rd base three times this spring.

• Pounder says:

I like Mesa as well, as long as he doesn’t ……wait for it…Plateau(sp)

3. MikeD says:

Too bad Brackman was injured at the start, limiting his appearances. I am surprised they didn’t keep him up a little longer to get one or two more games in, especially since he’s more likely than ManBan or Bentances to get the first call if the Yankees need an arm in the first half.

• MannyGeee says:

yeah, this surprised me. I thought you would have let him get his feet wet a little longer. Does this send the wrong message & ultimately affect his confidence?

We ALL know he would (theorhetically) hit The Stage before Banuelos and Betances, he knows that. We ALL know he is not starting the season in the Bronx, he knows that… but if he is going to be the first to see some action in the big club then why not let him face ML battters while it costs them nothing (development and cost control wise at least)? something I am missing here.

4. Zach says:

What is Kevin Russo’s 2011 going to be? Is he the first called up for a bench spot should something go wrong? is he a AAA player all year, or is he trade bait. I like how versatile he is although he needs to keep improving on his hitting. What do you think?