Apr

After five games, Jeter goes back to old mechanics

Quite a stir was made a few days ago when Derek Jeter told Ian O’Connor that he wasn’t thinking about his new stride after working on it all spring. “I just said the heck with it,” said the Cap’n. “I wasn’t going to think about it. Before you’re trying to think about where your foot is and you’re trying not to move it, and it’s just too much to think about. So today I tried not to.” Rob Neyer picked it up and presented it as if Jeter abandoned the new stride and went back to his old ways, which wasn’t entirely true. He just said he wasn’t going to think about it, not that he was giving up on it all together.

Fast forward to this morning. Buster Olney reported before this afternoon’s game that there were “indications” that Jeter has in fact given up on his new stride and gone back to his old mechanics. It wasn’t clear if Olney was reporting this as new information or if he was just piggy-backing on O’Connor’s report, but then Jeter came to the plate in the first inning against Francisco Liriano with the leg kick and stride he used for most of his career. It worked today – he went 2-for-3 (legit double into the left field corner and an infield single) with a walk – and Jeter never really seemed to be get comfortable with the changes Kevin Long tried to make, so whatever works I guess.

Categories : Asides

1. bonestock94 says:

I don’t care if he holds the bat with his ass, just stop grounding out.

2. Gonzo says:

Quitter! Just kidding. I wonder if he will continue to “try” the swing in non-game activities.

3. A.D. says:

Well at least we now know he’ll be able to hit for some power again just a matter of how much hitting will happen.

4. ShuutoHeat says:

As long as he is hitting well, I don’t care if he is batting lefty and blindfolded.

5. CS Yankee says:

More proof that he is not a team player.

6. Peter R says:

Nooot sure how I feel about this.

• whozat says:

Given that it took him until after 2008 to listen to coaches about positioning or working on his ability to move laterally on defense…I’m concerned. Not much about his behavior leads me to believe that he’ll made adjustments to his age, but rather that he will continue to act like the stuff he did when he was 30 will continue to work as he gets slower and more fragile.

• Andy in NYC says:

Wow, way to fail reading comprehension.
        That article stated that Cashman told the coaches to discuss his range with Jeter, but they were afraid to bring it up and never talked to Jeter. Then they lied to Cashman that they talked to Jeter.

Cashman finally brought it up with Jeter, who had no idea what Cash was talking about. Jeter immediately agreed to work on his range, with the positive results we all saw in ’09.
        Let’s blame Jeter for what he actually did, OK? Not what you think he did after mis-reading that article.

7. Josh says:

dry hump counter is hilarious.

8. E-ROC says:

I wonder if Jeter will be more conscious of his mechanics against a right handed pitching instead of a left handed pitching. Jeter doesn’t put up much of fight against right handed pitching anymore so striding towards the pitcher who is right handed would help instead of using his old mechanics.

9. BINNER says:

Isn’t it a bit soon to just give up on something he worked on all spring? It’s like saying the Red Sox won’t win a game because they’re 0-6.

10. Dr. O says:

I’ll be to sure to send flowers and a sympathy card to Kim Jones. She just lost about 90% of her interview questions with Jeter.

11. Jenny says:

Can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

12. Jenny says:

It may look good today because Jeter was facing a left hander.

last year he batted .321 against lefties and only .246 against righties.

13. Scout says:

This is troubling because the changes were made to correct flaws, likely age-related, in Jeter’s swing that hurt his performance last season. Those flaws won’t go away on their own. I don’t doubt that he’ll be more comfortable with the old mechanics. But comfort doesn’t fix things.

• Jericho Spade says:

FOUR MORE YEARS– FOUR MORE YEAR– FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

• A.D. says:

Being incredibly uncomfortable can thwart things, which seems to be what Jeter felt was happening. I’d assume that Long + Jeter now slowly tweak the swing to try and end up with some of the elements, since the overhaul didn’t take.

• 7commerce says:

As a player and coach, one knows “comfort” is a good starting point as regards both the physical & mental aspects of the game.

14. Monteroisdinero says:

Against righties I really don’t see the point of Jeter not taking a strike when Gardy is on first. Even a pitch out will take a perfect throw in an all-out steal. Gardy makes it almost every time. On the rare occasion he gets thrown out, Jeets can’t hit into a double play. Derek is very good at hitting it to the right side which advances or scores Gardner depending on whether his grounder goes through. We must find ways to maximize the Captain. 51M invested.

15. Teh Comp Pick says:

Not sure of how legit a double that was. It was still on the ground, easily could have been a ground ball to third.

16. Slu says:

Eh, I do the same with my golf swing. I try new things and it doesn’t work as well as my old swing. Even though my old swing has stopped producing the results I would like, it was still better than the results I was getting with the new swing.

But all it really means is I should practice more.

17. Frank says:

Stubborn. He’ll never move off short or down in the lineup or listen to the games best hitting coach bc he’s Derek jeter. Over it. He’s been a great Yankee but his best days are long gone and he is the only one who doesn’t realize it.

18. jackstrawelf says:

That’s cause Kevin long sucks he has a team full of mvps that hit worse with him than any other point in their careers

19. bth0025 says:

And Robinson Cano.

20. jackstrawelf says:

Curtis was down last year n Robbie n swish were on the way up anyway

• Andy in NYC says:

Nice try. Long wasn’t working with Grandy at the beginning of the year. When they started working together, Grandy took off and hit great.

And those MVPs? Couldn’t possibly be that they’re old now, and past their prime? And not capable of hitting like they did in their youth? Oh, and one of them ain’t using steroids anymore.